Author Topic: Trainer  (Read 4023 times)

jml3001

• Getbig II
Trainer
« on: August 25, 2008, 04:13:44 PM »
I'm 5'9", 205, 17in (cold flexed) arms, 15.5 in calves, 36 in gut (completely relaxed).  Is there any point to getting a trainer?  I keep talking to other bigger guys, and they give me the same bullsh.it line about protein.  Is it possible that this is just as big as I get?   :'(

AVBG

Re: Trainer
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 06:00:11 PM »
how long have you been training? what goals do you wish to achieve?

jml3001

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 08:37:32 PM »
Around 9 years.  I started at 21.  I'm pretty comfortable with my bf (around 14%), although I'd like to maintain at around 12% and gain another 10-15 pounds.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 02:04:07 AM »
Hey bro, I personally never had a personal trainer, and a lot of the most successful bodybuilders that I know don't either.

There is so much information on the web and in books and magazines that you can pretty much do everything on your own.

I've gotten ready for shows using a prep coach, and I've also done it on my own before, sometimes its good to have a second eye that can give you an honest opinion. But I also managed just fine on my own.

No one can tell you yes or no for your question, there are  a lot of great trainers out there and a lot of great nutritionist/prep coach's if you feel like you are missing something that they may provide go for it.

Good luck with your decision bro!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 05:55:25 AM »
I'm 5'9", 205, 17in (cold flexed) arms, 15.5 in calves, 36 in gut (completely relaxed).  Is there any point to getting a trainer?  I keep talking to other bigger guys, and they give me the same bullsh.it line about protein.  Is it possible that this is just as big as I get?   :'(

You may need knowledge rather than a trainer.
Unfortunately, not every trainer can provide the insight you personally need.

There are trainers who can certainly benefit you.
Even a run of the mill “cookie-cutter” trainer who more or less “bought” their certification online may be able to point out a couple of things that would help you.

Talk with some different trainers to try to get a feel for what they might be capable of and then decide on one to work with you.
Try them for a month of two and if you’re not happy, find someone else.

But do try to make some acquaintances in your gym. Much of the best information I’ve gotten was free – and the people from whom I got it didn’t possess any kind of formal certificate with a bunch of letters on it.

Our own boards have some very knowledgeable members who are quite generous with information sharing.
Search this as well as the training and nutrition boards.

jml3001

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 09:08:31 AM »
I think most of what I need help with is diet.  I've shifted from about 180 to about 210 grams of protein per day with no visible results - and I'm trying to do this where I can maintain at around 215-220 with about 12% bf.

AVBG

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 10:41:23 PM »
no need for a a trainer unless you need guidance for a first bb contest. Save the cash there's so much (free) quality on the net..use it.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 01:05:45 AM »
a trainer is good for motivation.
A

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 03:04:22 AM »
a trainer is good for motivation.

True.

If your paying someone, your gonna show up to every workout.

If all you need is info, the web is the place to go.
No doubt about it...