Author Topic: Is Personal Training a career for the unemployable?  (Read 3725 times)

DS Phil Hunter

• Getbig II
Is Personal Training a career for the unemployable?
« on: March 27, 2023, 11:20:05 AM »
Hi GetBig

I have been a lurker here for a while (years) and it took a long time for my profile to be approved so I missed the opportunity to contribute and participate in a lot of threads. So I thought I would start one.

My question goes to personal trainers and former personal trainers/strength coaches and if they have had more than 15-20 years plus in the job and now with the prevalence of Instagram, YouTube and social media if they have been able to compete and keep up with the trends? I am guessing for gym owners and staff things have changed significantly since the 1980s, 1990s and even early 2000s and how they have survived? There is a argument that why hire a PT if you can learn how to program your training and work out your macro nutrients and calories etc yourself? the other side of the argument is that PT's provide an valuable service and their work is impactful etc. What are you experiences as PT working in gyms and/or opinions of PT's in general? 

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Re: Is Personal Training a career for the unemployable?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 11:22:59 AM »
I don't think the internets can replace in-person rep counting for fat people by PTs now or in the future.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 11:29:09 AM »
Vince Goodrum, with his CSN MFT credentials and industry knowledge can provide you with an informed opinion.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 11:43:03 AM »
Hi GetBig

I have been a lurker here for a while (years) and it took a long time for my profile to be approved so I missed the opportunity to contribute and participate in a lot of threads. So I thought I would start one.

My question goes to personal trainers and former personal trainers/strength coaches and if they have had more than 15-20 years plus in the job and now with the prevalence of Instagram, YouTube and social media if they have been able to compete and keep up with the trends? I am guessing for gym owners and staff things have changed significantly since the 1980s, 1990s and even early 2000s and how they have survived? There is a argument that why hire a PT if you can learn how to program your training and work out your macro nutrients and calories etc yourself? the other side of the argument is that PT's provide an valuable service and their work is impactful etc. What are you experiences as PT working in gyms and/or opinions of PT's in general?

There will always be a need for PT's. The typical person (general clientele) who have regular jobs, families, etc generally won't take the time to research how to put a program together or get an in-depth knowledge of nutrition. Being an actual strength coach (strength and conditioning coach) is an entirely different world that just being a personal trainer.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 11:48:58 AM »
I did PT for extra money years ago.   Was ok - but my own training suffered greatly.  Got sick of being in the gym after awhile . 

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 11:53:39 AM »
Enroll all the homeless around Golds Gym/LA in PT certification classes.

Charles Glass can be the instructor.

Karpaasi

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 12:06:15 PM »
If I recall correctly Charles asked like 200 bucks/hour. All lifting 45s to machines and counting to 12.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 12:11:16 PM »
I did PT for extra money years ago.   Was ok - but my own training suffered greatly.  Got sick of being in the gym after awhile .
I was the Director Of Personal Training at Fitness America (now Busy Body Fitness) you get sick of being in the gym all the time ... so your own fitness goals and training go in the shitter! ( In addition to training clients I had to oversee the staff of around 10-12 personal trainers ) I need a straight "9-5 job" with a steady paycheck and set hours! ( I was in the gym at all times of day and night)

wazhazbin

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2023, 12:13:22 PM »
I was the Director Of Personal Training at Fitness America (now Busy Body Fitness) you get sick of being in the gym all the time ... so your own fitness goals and training go in the shitter! ( In addition to training clients I had to oversee the staff of around 10-12 personal trainers ) I need a straight "9-5 job" with a steady paycheck and set hours! ( I was in the gym at all times of day and night)

i competed in the Canadians in 1991 and bought a gym 8 months later.  that was the last contest i ever trained serious for.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2023, 12:15:16 PM »
i competed in the Canadians in 1991 and bought a gym 8 months later.  that was the last contest i ever trained serious for.
it's the worst man! I literally lost my love for the gym (because I was always there)

wazhazbin

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2023, 12:21:56 PM »
it's the worst man! I literally lost my love for the gym (because I was always there)

likewise brother

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2023, 12:24:32 PM »
likewise brother

Everyone is like "Bro you should buy a gym!"  They don't understand that my love for training supercedes my potentially making a few dollars from a gym.  And you here this by many many people.  Even the trainers where I go say their own fitness and training suffers from always being there.   

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2023, 12:33:05 PM »
Currently, it be a decent side hustle to make pocket money, but as a career, nah.

wazhazbin

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2023, 12:36:26 PM »
Everyone is like "Bro you should buy a gym!"  They don't understand that my love for training supercedes my potentially making a few dollars from a gym.  And you here this by many many people.  Even the trainers where I go say their own fitness and training suffers from always being there.

100%  i competed off and on til 2007 but my heart was not in it after i purchased the gym in 1992.  went from feeling excitement walking through the door to dread.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2023, 01:03:16 PM »
Shit, dead end career.
T

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2023, 01:05:56 PM »
Usually have the worst cars in the gym parking lot. Not that cars automatically mean wealth status, but I’ve noticed this unless they’re former pros and/or slinging anabolics. I’d do it part-time if I had the time, but I prefer to spend it on Getbig instead

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2023, 01:43:37 PM »
Usually have the worst cars in the gym parking lot. Not that cars automatically mean wealth status, but I’ve noticed this unless they’re former pros and/or slinging anabolics. I’d do it part-time if I had the time, but I prefer to spend it on Getbig instead
Darrem C. drives a beater.
T

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2023, 01:47:59 PM »
If I ever did PT I would spend 2 hours with them, one hour training and one hour diet

After that there really isnt anything they need unless they decide to go the drug route later on.

Anyone who needs constant baby sitting and a rep counter isnt going to amount to anything anyway.
If you have no internal motivation you are fucked.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2023, 02:04:26 PM »
If I ever did PT I would spend 2 hours with them, one hour training and one hour diet

After that there really isnt anything they need unless they decide to go the drug route later on.

Anyone who needs constant baby sitting and a rep counter isnt going to amount to anything anyway.
If you have no internal motivation you are fucked.
It's all middle aged housewives who want to tell you all their secrets ...desires and thoughts lol (seriously tho it's mostly middle aged woman who's husbands make too much money and they are glad to pay you to entertain their wives and give them a break!)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2023, 02:05:25 PM »
Did it for 2 decades off and on......I felt like a psychologist in some cases.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2023, 03:17:15 PM »
Did it for 2 decades off and on......I felt like a psychologist in some cases.

I did it part time in the late 80s.

Nothing has changed. They all act as though they’ve reinvented the wheel and pretend they’re training serious athletes when the client base is mainly bored housewives.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2023, 03:23:48 PM »
Darrem C. drives a beater.

No way. I always saw him with lovely automobiles

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2023, 03:26:10 PM »
The certifications are always good for a chuckle. You could just pull four letters out of a hat, and nobody would know the difference.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I read at least a dozen primary sources a day
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2023, 03:26:59 PM »
Hi GetBig

I wouldn’t equate these two professions.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I read at least a dozen primary sources a day
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2023, 03:31:32 PM »
It's all middle aged housewives who want to tell you all their secrets ...desires and thoughts lol (seriously tho it's mostly middle aged woman who's husbands make too much money and they are glad to pay you to entertain their wives and give them a break!)

For some of those folks I think it’s also a status symbol.

“I’ve got a trainer” “My trainer says…” etc.