Author Topic: Keto diet  (Read 6574 times)

MajorDomo

• Getbig III
  • I'm here to chew bubblegum
Re: Keto diet
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2024, 08:54:50 AM »
I liked Keto in the Green Hornet.

LOL!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2024, 10:56:49 AM »
Anyone tried it?

Yes.

Did you legitimately stay in ketosis throughout? (ie confirmed by a testing kit).

Yes, I test my blood ketone levels at home occasionally, just out of curiosity.  It's not necessary because I keep my carbs below 20g per day and my protein at no more than 40% of my total daily calories.  It would be difficult for me not to be in ketosis as long as I continue to eat this way.

How long did you go for

I've been on a very meat heavy, keto diet consistently for 4 years and 3 months.

what results did you observe?

Triglycerides dropped and HDL increased significantly.

Blood pressure dropped and has stayed normal, thus finally reversing years of borderline hypertension.

Skin tags, a sign of insulin resistance, gone.

Low fasting glucose, low fasting insulin, and low A1C.

Gained muscle without changing anything else, probably the result of eating only animal-based protein while eliminating foods that decrease protein absorption.

Lost over 30 pounds of fat very easily, with very little exercise. I started keto for health reasons, not to lose weight.  The weight loss is a welcome benefit.

Improved body composition, losing inches in all the right places even if losing little to no more weight.  I have had to donate my entire wardrove and buy new clothes twice the past four years.

Serious digestive issues resolved.

Serious acid reflux, to the point of causing esophagus damage, gone.

Far less frequent common cold infections.

Had terrible allergies, taking two daily medications year round. Haven’t had allergies or taken medication the past 4+ years.

Used to have trouble sleeping, and had very little energy throughout the day. Sleep is so much better now, and have so much energy during the day I stopped drinking coffee.

When lifting, I feel stronger and more energetic than ever.  However, I make sure to drink 1,000mg sodium in 22oz distilled water right before my workouts.  It makes a huge difference.

Snoring decreased significantly.

Mental fog replaced with consistent mental clarity throughout the day.

Stress and anxiety decreased significantly.

Back and joint pain relief, to the point I rarely take ibuprofen now. Used to take ibuprofen daily.

Improved dental health, whiter teeth and less plaque build up.

No more gas and bloating.

I have been able to maintain my excess body fat loss for over 4 years on keto, with very little to no cardio exercise.  Eating low fat, high carb, high fiber, moderate protein for decades, I was never able to maintain any weight loss longer than 6 to 8 months even doing lots of cardio in addition to lifting.

Hunger and cravings are gone.  I ate only one meal a day on keto for years with no problems.  Now I eat 3 meals a day plus 1 snack because that seems to work better for me.

Now for the first time in my life, I totally enjoy every single food that I eat every single time.  That's very liberating and much more enjoyable than eating low fat, high fiber, vegetables, grilled skinless chicken breasts, egg whites...gross.  I can't believe I ate like that for decades before finally trying meat heavy keto.

I don't get sunburn anymore.  I don't know why.  Maybe it's because of increased cholesterol under my skin which is very important for vitamin D production when exposed to the afternoon sun.

I don't get bit by mosquitoes anymore.  I don't know why.  Maybe the mosquito species I've been around don't like the ketone smell.

Of all the diets I have tried over the years, this one has been by far the safest, most effective, most beneficial, and most delicious of all.  That is how I've been able to sustain this consistently for so long.

Good luck to you!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2024, 11:20:23 AM »
The idea that you’re mentally sharper on ketosis makes no sense. If that were the case, why aren’t ketones the default fuel source for the brain with glucose being the back up as opposed to the other way around?

Clinical review: Ketones and brain injury
"Although much feared by clinicians, the ability to produce ketones has allowed humans to withstand prolonged periods of starvation. At such times, ketones can supply up to 50% of basal energy requirements. More interesting, however, is the fact that ketones can provide as much as 70% of the brain's energy needs, more efficiently than glucose. Studies suggest that during times of acute brain injury, cerebral uptake of ketones increases significantly."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3219306/

Ketone Bodies and Brain Metabolism
"In summary, nutritional regimens (KDs and ketotherapeutic supplements) that generate increased KBs in plasma and the brain (ketosis) appear to have substantial potential to improve neuronal processes, such as mitochondrial metabolism, cell signaling, and neurotransmitter function. Additionally, KDs can reduce oxidative stress, inflammation, and toxicity, which can increase neural network stability and thereby improve cognitive function. There is a growing body of evidence supporting the benefits of KBs for some neurological conditions."
https://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/appi.neuropsych.20230017

The Role of Ketogenic Diet in the Treatment of Neurological Diseases
"More than a hundred years of studies on the ketogenic diet’s effect on neurological diseases (starting with epilepsy) means that they belong to the main fields of research related to the therapeutic potential of the diet. This results from its very wide, pleiotropic effect on the body as well as from a number of (including those not yet known) mechanisms of action on the nervous system. Its favourable activity in neurological diseases, demonstrated in clinical studies, is related to the following: reducing the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS); reducing neuronal inflammatory conditions; the reconstruction of neuronal myelin sheaths; the repair of damaged mitochondria and the formation of new mitochondria and, thus, the effect on the disturbed neuronal metabolism in a number of neurological diseases; the provision of an alternative energy source for neurons in the form of ketone bodies; a reduction in glucose and insulin concentrations; the induction of autophagy; the reduction of microglia stimulation; the reduction of the excitatory postsynaptic current (EPSC) through action on voltage-dependent Ca2+ channels (VDCC); intestinal microbiota modulation and gene expression (epigenetic origin); assistance in the production of indispensable dopamine; and an increase in glutamine conversion into the neurotransmitter GABA. Together, with all the mentioned mechanisms, it is not surprising that the ketogenic diet in clinical studies shows a favourable effect on a number of neurological diseases, including epilepsy, Alzheimer’s disease (AD), Parkinson’s disease (PD), multiple sclerosis (MS) and migraine, which has been demonstrated in this paper."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9739023/

Effects of Ketogenic Diet on Neuroinflammation in Neurodegenerative Diseases
"In this review, we detail the physiological basis of the KD, its functions in regulating neuroinflammation, and its protective role in normal brain aging and neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease (AD), Parkinson’s disease (PD), amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), and Huntington’s disease (HD).

Recently, emerging evidence has underlined both pathophysiological and clinical benefits of KD in neurodegenerative diseases, indicating that KD is a possible treatment option for neurological illnesses [15]. KD can exert protective effects by modulating multiple neuroinflammatory pathways [16,17].

While there is still a long way to go, the prominent effects of KD suggest its use as a new therapeutic target and strategy for neurodegenerative disorders."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9286903/

Actually, ketones are the default fuel source for the brain when consuming little to no carbs, whether by fasting (fasting ketosis) or by eating a keto diet (nutritional ketosis).  This was pretty normal for most humans for thousands of years, before the invention of agriculture.

The body can't make protein or fat, but it can make it's own glucose even when consuming zero carbs.  The body can store huge amounts of fat, and it has a large source of amino acids from our muscles and other tissues, but carb (glycogen) stores are very small.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2024, 11:23:25 AM »
You sound like a converted born again Christian bro

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2024, 11:38:49 AM »
You sound like a converted born again Christian bro

Yeah, so?  It's the sound of freedom, freedom from the food industry and big pharma.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2024, 11:46:33 AM »
Who are these triathletes? This is one of the top gels for endurance.

You don’t seem to understand. Once you get into the 80% VOmax range, fat use as a fuel falls off a cliff and glucose becomes the preferred fuel source out of necessity.

As was said , Keto is almost like a religion and its advocates can’t accept this reality.

Many athletes, not on a keto diet, take this too: Ketone Ester

From triathlete.com

What Are Exogenous Ketone Supplements?
"A series of studies conducted by Dr. Kieran Clarke shows exogenous ketones have a “CHO sparing effect.” The authors hypothesize that exogenous ketone usage reduces the body’s reliance on CHO as a fuel source to produce ATP, but increases fats as the fuel source in trained athletes. In the study, the trained athletes who drank a ketone-CHO mix went 2% further during a cycling time trial than those who drank a CHO-only mix. While this is not large for the majority of age-group athletes and was not seen in untrained athletes, the 2% improvement is significant for high-performing age-group athletes and elites. At the highest levels of endurance sports, winning could be a difference of less than a second.

Another potential enhancement from exogenous ketones is an improved recovery. A series of studies (Holdsworth et al., 2017, Vandoorne et al., 2017, Poffe et al., 2019) showed that if a trained athlete takes the proper amount of CHO and protein post-workout with a ketone monoester (as recommended by the manufacturer), recovery time was improved. The hypothesis behind this phenomenon is two-fold. The first aspect of the hypothesis is that ketones have an anti-oxidant effect by scavenging free radicals caused by exercise. As a result, muscle repair will occur more rapidly by eliminating the free radicals, and ATP production pathways are less likely to be blunted. The second aspect of the hypothesis is that the “glucose sparing” effect means the glucose stores do not need to be replenished as much. In short, less fuel and less time must be filled to repeat workouts.

The performance enhancements of exogenous ketones sound impressive. However, they are not for everyone. The performance improvement and recovery only appear to be seen in well-trained athletes, not untrained athletes. This means that a novice triathlete will not see these performance improvements. Additionally, the performance enhancements are only seen in certain well-trained athletes."

https://www.triathlete.com/nutrition/what-are-exogenous-ketones/

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2024, 12:30:31 PM »
I believe I stand corrected on the now QueerOKid / GoFagIt issue.

But still appreciate the info he posts.
Y

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2024, 12:31:45 PM »
I believe I stand corrected on the KK / GoFagIt issue.

yep, its him

He claimed natty for a while, certainly cant claim that now, maybe thast why hes anonymous

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2024, 12:33:52 PM »
Gayforshits taste in females was/is atrocious

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2024, 12:45:59 PM »
I believe I stand corrected on the now QueerOKid / GoFagIt issue.

;D

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2024, 02:40:40 PM »
You got healthier because you lost weight. That improves all health markers. Most people get fat in middle age and a result their health and performance decline more than they otherwise would.

IMO the sweet spot for active people is 150-200 grams of carbs. The problem is that fat fvcks who don’t exercise eat 400g+. This results in weight gain and chronic high blood sugar which eventually leads to health issues.

That's true for low fat diets, but not true for low carb diets.  There are many mechanisms by which a very low carb diet improves health, independent of weight loss:

Dietary carbohydrate restriction improves metabolic syndrome independent of weight loss
"Metabolic syndrome (MetS) is highly correlated with obesity and cardiovascular risk, but the importance of dietary carbohydrate independent of weight loss in MetS treatment remains controversial.

Despite maintaining body mass, low-carbohydrate (LC) intake enhanced fat oxidation and was more effective in reversing MetS, especially high triglycerides, low HDL-C, and the small LDL subclass phenotype. Carbohydrate restriction also improved abnormal fatty acid composition, an emerging MetS feature. Despite containing 2.5 times more saturated fat than the high-carbohydrate diet, an LC diet decreased plasma total saturated fat and palmitoleate and increased arachidonate.

Consistent with the perspective that MetS is a pathologic state that manifests as dietary carbohydrate intolerance, these results show that compared with eucaloric high-carbohydrate intake, LC/high-fat diets benefit MetS independent of whole-body or fat mass."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6629108/

Carbohydrate restriction improves the features of Metabolic Syndrome. Metabolic Syndrome may be defined by the response to carbohydrate restriction
"Carbohydrate restriction is one of several strategies for reducing body mass but even in the absence of weight loss or in comparison with low fat alternatives, CHO restriction is effective at ameliorating high fasting glucose and insulin, high plasma triglycerides (TAG), low HDL and high blood pressure."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1323303/

Dietary carbohydrate restriction in type 2 diabetes mellitus and metabolic syndrome: time for a critical appraisal
"The finding that lipid improvements seen in carbohydrate-restricted diets persist even after no further weight loss (Figure ​(Figure2)2) suggests that the benefit of carbohydrate restriction is independent of weight loss. Two additional lines of evidence support this idea:

1. In experiments in which body mass is kept constant in normal-weight men[56]or patients with type 2 diabetes[11,13], a very low carbohydrate diet resulted in dramatic improvements in triglycerides and HDL cholesterol with minimal change in body mass.

2, Experiments in which change in macronutrients and weight loss are separated in time show that eucaloric carbohydrate reduction leads to greater improvement in atherogenic lipid markers (TG, HDL, apoB/apoA1 and mean LDL particle size) even in the presence of higher saturated fat[57,58]. A low fat diet, however, required weight loss to achieve effective improvement in the lipid profile (Figure ​(Figure3).3). Notably, the sum of the two effects showed that eucaloric carbohydrate restriction plus weight loss was more effective than eucaloric low fat plus weight loss."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2359752/

Low carbohydrate diets improve atherogenic dyslipidemia even in the absence of weight loss
"Compared to weight loss on a LF diet, the high saturated fat CR diet with no weight loss resulted in better improvements in LDL peak size, TAG, HDL, and the ratios total cholesterol/HDL and apoB/ApoA-1, that is, the effects are not equivalent; CR is significantly better than weight loss in the presence of LF for atherogenic dyslipidemia."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1488852/

Long-Term Effects of a Novel Continuous Remote Care Intervention Including Nutritional Ketosis for the Management of Type 2 Diabetes: A 2-Year Non-randomized Clinical Trial
"Three non-pharmaceutical approaches have demonstrated high rates of at least temporary T2D diabetes reversal or remission: bariatric surgery, very low calorie diets (VLCD), and nutritional ketosis achieved through carbohydrate restriction (8–10). In controlled clinical trials, each approach has demonstrated improved glycemic control and CVD risk factors, reduced pharmaceutical dependence, and weight loss. The three approaches show a similar time-course with glycemic control preceding weight loss by weeks or months, suggesting potential overlap of mechanisms (11, 12)."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6561315/

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2024, 03:35:41 PM »
A very low calorie diet or ketosis will produce weight loss almost immediately. How could the health benefits  precede the weight loss by months?

These arguments are completely divorced from reality. The standard American fat fuck Diet is not high carb, low fat. It’s high everything. So, if a fat fuck went on a low carb diet, he wouldn’t replace the carbs with fats he would lower both.

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2024, 06:32:00 PM »
The pic Keto Kid posted earlier with the juicy glutes in spandex was very go4it esque.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2024, 06:52:01 PM »
A very low calorie diet or ketosis will produce weight loss almost immediately. How could the health benefits  precede the weight loss by months?

These arguments are completely divorced from reality. The standard American fat fuck Diet is not high carb, low fat. It’s high everything. So, if a fat fuck went on a low carb diet, he wouldn’t replace the carbs with fats he would lower both.

THIS

You have to lower calories or increase calorie expenditure or both to lose weight no other way around it

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2024, 05:13:36 AM »

You can get health benefits from "keto" and NEVER lose a pound. Just being in "ketosis"  does NOT mean you are losing bodyfat! It just means you are breaking down fat into ketones for energy and whats nice is if you don't burn them up you simply piss them out. NO storage!!  Glucose ( carbs) doesn't work like that. If you don't burn them they get stored .  So you can be eating on a keto diet more calories than you burn and not lose any weight until you cut the calories down specifically for weight loss but you will still get the health benefits of keto. So yes the health benefits can indeed come before weight loss.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2024, 05:56:30 AM »

You can get health benefits from "keto" and NEVER lose a pound. Just being in "ketosis"  does NOT mean you are losing bodyfat! It just means you are breaking down fat into ketones for energy and whats nice is if you don't burn them up you simply piss them out. NO storage!!  Glucose ( carbs) doesn't work like that. If you don't burn them they get stored .  So you can be eating on a keto diet more calories than you burn and not lose any weight until you cut the calories down specifically for weight loss but you will still get the health benefits of keto. So yes the health benefits can indeed come before weight loss.

I find it had to over eat if I drop carbs, I just cant eat enough to get fat (im not a big eater)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2024, 07:10:38 AM »

I find it had to over eat if I drop carbs, I just cant eat enough to get fat (im not a big eater)

Given that Protein is self limiting, I don’t see how you can have a caloric surplus on Zero carbs without force feeding.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2024, 07:13:05 AM »
Given that Protein is self limiting, I don’t see how you can have a caloric surplus on Zero carbs without force feeding.

on keto you shoud be looking at 40% fat as a minimum

Lean protein does not sustain life without fats, you can stuff down 10k cals a day of fat free lean meat and you will starve to death

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2024, 07:25:11 AM »
i'm the leanest an driest guy in this site and i eat lots o carbs ;)

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2024, 07:30:47 AM »
i'm the leanest an driest guy in this site and i eat lots o carbs ;)

I thought you said you ate fuck all?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2024, 07:32:39 AM »
I thought you said you ate fuck all?

coz im going back to 4-5%

once im there i can eat tons o carbs and stay ripped and dry as long as cals stay at maintance

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2024, 07:34:55 AM »
coz im going back to 4-5%

once im there i can eat tons o carbs and stay ripped and dry as long as cals stay at maintance

you need to define "tons"

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2024, 07:52:41 AM »
you need to define "tons"

4-500 carb grams

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2024, 08:47:57 AM »
Ketones have to be utilized to make ATP in the Mitochondria via the Krebs Cycle and Electron Transport Chain. So, they’re essentially a substitute for fats not carbohydrates which can synthesize ATP by being partially broken down outside of the Mitochondria.

It’s a much faster process with the downside being that it can’t be maintained for very long. That’s why the body uses anaerobic respiration for high intensity activities.

Apparently, Layne still stops by. He just posted this on his IG page:

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2024, 08:51:37 AM »
4-500 carb grams
thats 2k cals

What about your protein and fats?