Author Topic: Lex Luger - Shell of a man  (Read 24556 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Lex Luger - Shell of a man
« on: June 23, 2008, 10:59:04 AM »
Very said...

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/cobb/stories/2008/06/17/lex_luger_shepherd_center.html

These days, he can barely walk, tips the scales around 185 lbs. and lives in a one-bedroom apartment across the street from the Shepherd Center in Atlanta, where's he undergoing therapy

down Luger while on a cross-country flight last fall. He spent two weeks in intensive care at Stanford University Hospital in California before transferring to Shepherd in November. He's also still hobbled by double hip replacement surgery in February.

"I was one of the strongest guys on the planet," Luger said recently. "I was freaky strong before. I was bench-pressing 450 pounds my senior year of high school. I was a freak. Now I can't lift a one-pound dumbbell.

"But God tells me that mind, body and spirit and what we are as a man is measured not by our physical strength, but our inner strength."

Luger, whose real name is Lawrence Pfohl, now takes great pride in each day's small victories. Things like getting showered and shaved on his own in only 30 minutes or standing a little bit more each day. Things like trying to gradually make full amends with estranged family members he took for granted over the years, including his 17- and 21-year-old children.

The new and humbled Lex Luger is a man of strong religious conviction whose faith has helped him remain mostly upbeat.

Luger has taken it upon himself to minister to young patients at the Shepherd Center, often telling them his story of widespread abuse of drugs, steroids and alcohol at the expense of his family and health.

Luger believes he was meant to lift their spirits and give personal testimony to the importance of doing things the right way.

Life hasn't been easy for MaryAnn Collins and her family from Alabama since Steve, her 23-year-old son, broke his neck during an automobile accident in March and became a quadriplegic. But getting to know the former professional wrestler has helped.

"No matter what," MaryAnn Collins said, "when Lex comes, he makes him laugh. Just his visits brighten his day. We're lucky to have a friend like Lex."

Luger once known as 'The Narcissist'

It's a role never envisioned by those who knew Luger before.

"He used to be on the other end of the scale, as far as helping people," said close friend Steve Borden, the professional wrestler better known as "Sting."

"He was known as 'The Narcissist.' His comfort was first and foremost. If he had still been that way when this happened, he'd probably be dead right now because he probably would have just given up."

Luger, 50, was on a flight to San Francisco in late October when he began having difficulty moving his neck. Thinking it was simply a case of having sat in an awkward position for too much of the cross-country flight, he tried to jar his neck back into place, only to make his predicament worse.

Luger arrived in San Francisco in considerable pain, but was still able to function. He awoke the next morning, however, paralyzed from the neck down and unable to even call for help. A desperate Luger maneuvered onto the hotel room floor, where he remained for more than four hours.

Doctors at Stanford University Hospital noted massive swelling of his spine from the C6 to T5 vertebrae, attributing the damage to the many disc injuries and bone spurs he'd collected during three decades of football and professional wrestling.

Doctors have told Luger that previous substance abuse problems had nothing to do with his spinal trauma.

Luger remained a complete quadriplegic for more than two months, without as much as bladder or bowel control when he was transferred to the Shepherd Center in early November.

Doctors have told him the swelling usually takes about six months to recede, but it's unclear how much function he will regain. Luger has gradually improved. He can now stand on his own for brief periods and uses a walker at times.

Motor and other finger skills are usually the last functions to come back with his particular injuries. A complete recovery is a "long shot," said Dr. Gerald Bilsky, Luger's physician and Sheperd's medical director for outpatient services.

In the meantime, Luger has had to re-learn even the most elementary functions, such as going to the bathroom and how to feed and dress himself.

"You just have to rehab every day and take great blessings with what you do have back," Luger said. "Rehab and try to make what you have stronger. It's up to the Lord to do the rest."

Luger has improved enough to be released from the Shepherd Center in mid-March, but he can be found at the facility every day.

He hopes that recounting his story to patients and their families will help spare others his mistakes.

Luger's self-destructive lifestyle played a role in the death of Elizabeth Hulette, his girlfriend and former wrestling personality known as "Miss Elizabeth." Hulette died of an accidental drug overdose in 2003 in the Cobb County home the two shared.

Luger was charged with 13 counts of felony drug possession after authorities searched the home and found steroids and other body-building drugs, as well as pain medication and anti-anxiety drugs. He later served two months in the Cobb County jail starting in late 2005 after violating probation.

It was while incarcerated that he gave his life to Christ.

Luger now lives in a one-bedroom apartment across the street from the Shepherd Center, complete with a couple of air mattresses for guests.

And he's OK with it.

"I've never been stronger or richer in spirit or as a man as I am right now," Luger said

littleguns

• Getbig V
Lex Luger - Shell of a man
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 11:25:43 AM »
Very said...

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/cobb/stories/2008/06/17/lex_luger_shepherd_center.html

These days, he can barely walk, tips the scales around 185 lbs. and lives in a one-bedroom apartment across the street from the Shepherd Center in Atlanta, where's he undergoing therapy

down Luger while on a cross-country flight last fall. He spent two weeks in intensive care at Stanford University Hospital in California before transferring to Shepherd in November. He's also still hobbled by double hip replacement surgery in February.

"I was one of the strongest guys on the planet," Luger said recently. "I was freaky strong before. I was bench-pressing 450 pounds my senior year of high school. I was a freak. Now I can't lift a one-pound dumbbell.

"But God tells me that mind, body and spirit and what we are as a man is measured not by our physical strength, but our inner strength."

Luger, whose real name is Lawrence Pfohl, now takes great pride in each day's small victories. Things like getting showered and shaved on his own in only 30 minutes or standing a little bit more each day. Things like trying to gradually make full amends with estranged family members he took for granted over the years, including his 17- and 21-year-old children.

The new and humbled Lex Luger is a man of strong religious conviction whose faith has helped him remain mostly upbeat.

Luger has taken it upon himself to minister to young patients at the Shepherd Center, often telling them his story of widespread abuse of drugs, steroids and alcohol at the expense of his family and health.

Luger believes he was meant to lift their spirits and give personal testimony to the importance of doing things the right way.

Life hasn't been easy for MaryAnn Collins and her family from Alabama since Steve, her 23-year-old son, broke his neck during an automobile accident in March and became a quadriplegic. But getting to know the former professional wrestler has helped.

"No matter what," MaryAnn Collins said, "when Lex comes, he makes him laugh. Just his visits brighten his day. We're lucky to have a friend like Lex."

"He used to be on the other end of the scale, as far as helping people," said close friend Steve Borden, the professional wrestler better known as "Sting."

"He was known as 'The Narcissist.' His comfort was first and foremost. If he had still been that way when this happened, he'd probably be dead right now because he probably would have just given up."

Luger, 50, was on a flight to San Francisco in late October when he began having difficulty moving his neck. Thinking it was simply a case of having sat in an awkward position for too much of the cross-country flight, he tried to jar his neck back into place, only to make his predicament worse.

Luger arrived in San Francisco in considerable pain, but was still able to function. He awoke the next morning, however, paralyzed from the neck down and unable to even call for help. A desperate Luger maneuvered onto the hotel room floor, where he remained for more than four hours.

Doctors at Stanford University Hospital noted massive swelling of his spine from the C6 to T5 vertebrae, attributing the damage to the many disc injuries and bone spurs he'd collected during three decades of football and professional wrestling.

Doctors have told Luger that previous substance abuse problems had nothing to do with his spinal trauma.

Luger remained a complete quadriplegic for more than two months, without as much as bladder or bowel control when he was transferred to the Shepherd Center in early November.

Doctors have told him the swelling usually takes about six months to recede, but it's unclear how much function he will regain. Luger has gradually improved. He can now stand on his own for brief periods and uses a walker at times.

Motor and other finger skills are usually the last functions to come back with his particular injuries. A complete recovery is a "long shot," said Dr. Gerald Bilsky, Luger's physician and Sheperd's medical director for outpatient services.

In the meantime, Luger has had to re-learn even the most elementary functions, such as going to the bathroom and how to feed and dress himself.

"You just have to rehab every day and take great blessings with what you do have back," Luger said. "Rehab and try to make what you have stronger. It's up to the Lord to do the rest."

Luger has improved enough to be released from the Shepherd Center in mid-March, but he can be found at the facility every day.

He hopes that recounting his story to patients and their families will help spare others his mistakes.

Luger's self-destructive lifestyle played a role in the death of Elizabeth Hulette, his girlfriend and former wrestling personality known as "Miss Elizabeth." Hulette died of an accidental drug overdose in 2003 in the Cobb County home the two shared.

Luger was charged with 13 counts of felony drug possession after authorities searched the home and found steroids and other body-building drugs, as well as pain medication and anti-anxiety drugs. He later served two months in the Cobb County jail starting in late 2005 after violating probation.

Luger now lives in a one-bedroom apartment across the street from the Shepherd Center, complete with a couple of air mattresses for guests.

And he's OK with it.

"I've never been stronger or richer in spirit or as a man as I am right now," Luger said

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Lex Luger - Shell of a man
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 12:24:13 PM »
Z

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 12:26:27 PM »

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 12:27:21 PM »
Lex Luger was "The Total Package," a buff 6-foot-4, 270-lb. professional wrestler who made $5 million a year while helping to fill arenas throughout the world.

He NEVER weighed in at 270#, he was always lean and looked good, I would say 230# MAX.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 12:28:52 PM »
Didn't we have a thread about this last year?

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 12:38:24 PM »
Man, he looks great here, for his age he is in better shape than 99.9% of BBers his age.....

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 12:40:46 PM »
oh brother ...and christer

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 12:53:33 PM »
funny how these people tend to "find" god AFTER their brush with death ::) pretentious to the extreme.

All I have to say

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 12:58:37 PM »
oh brother ...and christer

::) translation: god cant bench

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 12:59:09 PM »
Lex Luger was "The Total Package," a buff 6-foot-4, 270-lb. professional wrestler who made $5 million a year while helping to fill arenas throughout the world.

He NEVER weighed in at 270#, he was always lean and looked good, I would say 230# MAX.

I beg to differ. Luger, in his prime, dwarfed many pro bodybuilders. A prime example of this was during his time wtih the WBF. I have an episode on tape of a skit from BodyStars, "WBF: Rules to Lift By". DeMey himself competed at 230, and Luger DWARFED HIM in that episode. Keep in mind that DeMey is 6 feet tall, Luger is 6'5".

On it, Luger asks a young lady to use a chest press machine. He stops every few reps to flex, not letting the girl get back on it. Berry DeMey arrives (being the gentleman that he is), and asks what's wrong.

DeMey: Is it my imagination, or are you trying to work in with this guy?

Young Lady: I'm trying to work in with this guy.

DeMey: Come on, Lex, give her a break; let her do another set.

Luger: Man you guys are killing me...picky, picky (an annoyed Luger waves off the girl and DeMey and leaves)

Also, compare Luger to the guy he was supposed to replace in the WBF, Lou Ferrigno. Ferrigno was 6'5", 268 lb. at the 1975 Mr. Olympia. Luger is the same height. If he were 230, he'd look even smaller than Ferrigno did, which he clearly does not.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 01:24:45 PM »
WOW...REALLY SAD
C

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 01:25:36 PM »
funny how these people tend to "find" god AFTER their brush with death ::) pretentious to the extreme.

All I have to say

It's because they think they're immortal and invincible. They think the fame and fortune is going to last forever, that their bodies will look eternally magnificience.

As a Bible verse goes, "What does it profit a man, if he gains the whole world and loses his soul?" Luger gained the world, or at least, what the world told him was success. But, look at the price he has paid.

- His marriage was destroyed
- His relationship with his kids is almost shot
- He lost Elizabeth.
- Dollars to donuts, many of his so-called friends bailed on him, when the money and the fame went away.

With that said, according to the article, Luger's injury had nothing to do with his becoming a Christian.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 01:33:51 PM »
1-KREATOR-material world paranoia
2-OVERKILL-Coma
3-SEPULTURA-Desperate cry
4-TESTAMENT-Low
5-SLAYER-Angel ıf death
6-PANTERA-Fucking hostile
7-METALLICA-Master of puppets
8-SODOM-Ausgebombt
9-NUCLEAR ASSAULT-Rise From The Ashes
10-JUDAS PRIEST-Painkiller

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 01:39:27 PM »

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 01:42:03 PM »
2-OVERKILL-Coma
4-TESTAMENT-Low
5-SLAYER-Angel ıf death
7-METALLICA-Master of puppets
8-SODOM-Ausgebombt
9-NUCLEAR ASSAULT-Rise From The Ashes
10-JUDAS PRIEST-Painkiller

Demolition Hammer - Pyroclastic Annihilation

Zaphod

• Getbig IV
  • IFBB Mr Canada 1970
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 02:00:05 PM »

::)

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 02:10:46 PM »
Demolition Hammer - Pyroclastic Annihilation

god I know it's awesome but I stick to my list

But good taster m8

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 02:13:57 PM »
::)

Go fuck yourself, dipshit.

The guy is trying to stay positive.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 02:16:07 PM »
This is why performing or working out on pain killers and stimulants are such a bad idea. If it hurts, adjust and do it different, if you are tired, ease up. That whole concept goes when on painkillers, you don't feel any barriers.

I guess he thought he was admired, when in reality he provided cheap entertainment for people that really didn't care about him or his sacrifices and hard work he had to go through.

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 02:21:54 PM »

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 02:24:34 PM »
Didn't we have a thread about this last year?

yeah, but if you read the new article you'd know there's a new twist- that he has been paralyzed and probably won't recover fully

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 02:40:21 PM »
Very said...

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 04:10:23 PM »
Very said...

And he's OK with it.

I worked out with Lex last year in Phoneix, AZ. He was still pretty darn strong and wasn't having any trouble getting around. As a matter of fact he was full of energy.

The following day we were leaving one event and going to another one that started 1 hour later. It was a 20 minute drive and he wanted to stop & train biceps on the way. He said he didn't want to miss his workout!

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 08:00:17 PM »
2-OVERKILL-Coma
4-TESTAMENT-Low
5-SLAYER-Angel ?f death