Author Topic: quoting the bible  (Read 2341 times)

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
quoting the bible
« on: February 02, 2007, 05:07:05 PM »
I find it amusing when people quote the bible in an effort to prove their point or convince you of something.   Just because you believe it is the word of God doesn't change the fact that it was written, translated, and interpreted by humans thousands of times over.  Just because you believe it doesn't mean anyone would give a fuck what it says.
Valhalla awaits.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: quoting the bible
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 07:00:19 PM »
I find it amusing when people quote the bible in an effort to prove their point or convince you of something.   Just because you believe it is the word of God doesn't change the fact that it was written, translated, and interpreted by humans thousands of times over.  Just because you believe it doesn't mean anyone would give a f**k what it says.

What makes you think it is the word of God?

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 06:56:11 AM »
I find it amusing when people quote the bible in an effort to prove their point or convince you of something.   Just because you believe it is the word of God doesn't change the fact that it was written, translated, and interpreted by humans thousands of times over.  Just because you believe it doesn't mean anyone would give a f**k what it says.

Jesus Christ quoted the Bible many times.  Christians are followers of Christ, thus we read, memorize and quote the Bible as well.  I have lived under my own authority, doing whatever I wanted to do, and I have lived under the authority of the Word of God.  Living under the authority of the word of God is much much better.  Try it, but first you have to believe it.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 06:57:36 AM »
What makes you think it is the word of God?

-Hedge

Hedge,
This makes me think that it is indeed the word of God:

1.  Personally, when I decided to start reading the Bible on my own and I applied what I learned to my own life, my life improved tremendously.  My relationships, my health, my finances, my whole outlook in life and my attitude toward my troubles improved tremendously.  And I wasn't even a Christian then.  Once I became a Christian, things got even better.  I have also seen throughout my life many people have the same experience once they decided to read the Bible on their own and applied what they learned to their life.

2. Faith.  The Bible says that the Bible is the word of GOD and I believe it.

"For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost" 2 Peter 1:21

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" 2 Timothy 3:16

3.  Fulfilled Prophecy.  The Bible is the only religious book that contains fulfilled prophecy.  Some of it has already been fulfilled throughout history, even in our own generation.
http://www.100prophecies.org/

4. Checkable Biblical Accuracy
http://www.doesgodexist.org/Charts/CheckableBiblicalAccuracy.html

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 10:22:06 AM »
Jesus Christ quoted the Bible many times.  Christians are followers of Christ, thus we read, memorize and quote the Bible as well.  I have lived under my own authority, doing whatever I wanted to do, and I have lived under the authority of the Word of God.  Living under the authority of the word of God is much much better.  Try it, but first you have to believe it.

how can jesus christ quoted the bible, the bible did not exist!!! it was wrote 100 years after is death!!!
wrote by numerous people with different stories, bible is a story........ = that doesn't mean its true.
are you delusional?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 10:56:32 AM »
Hedge,

1.  Personally, when I decided to start reading the Bible on my own and I applied what I learned to my own life, my life improved tremendously.  My relationships, my health, my finances, my whole outlook in life and my attitude toward my troubles improved tremendously.  And I wasn't even a Christian then.  Once I became a Christian, things got even better.  I have also seen throughout my life many people have the same experience once they decided to read the Bible on their own and applied what they learned to their life.

"For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost" 2 Peter 1:21

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" 2 Timothy 3:16

3.  Fulfilled Prophecy.  The Bible is the only religious book that contains fulfilled prophecy.  Some of it has already been fulfilled throughout history, even in our own generation.

Well said loco.  I completely agree. 

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 10:58:05 AM »
Well said loco.  I completely agree. 

:-*

HEY BABY!!!!!!!!

Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 02:32:30 PM »
how can jesus christ quoted the bible, the bible did not exist!!! it was wrote 100 years after is death!!!
wrote by numerous people with different stories, bible is a story........ = that doesn't mean its true.
He quoted the Old Testament.  Some people believe the book of Isaiah was His favorite.

R

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 11:44:48 PM »
He quoted the Old Testament.  Some people believe the book of Isaiah was His favorite.

who said that, proof please..... and if he did, maybe he was just a regular guy, took all the word from those ancient book twist it up a little bit with new words, start to preach about it, he became famous (good talker) than a legend, died because he was talking too much, cesar didn't like the controversy.... then 100 years later some guys found writing about those events, lets write a book about the guy we will trow some exaggerations in it and voila, the bible! thats how i see it...........

there is no way, that whats in the bible was real, absolutely no way........
are you delusional?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 10:34:54 AM »
who said that, proof please.....

The proof is in the New Testament.  He quotes the Old Testament quite a bit. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 06:33:35 AM »
Hedge,

Not to discount the bible for accurate prophesy, ...Nostradamus' quatrains have been quite accurate as well.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 07:23:32 AM »
Not to discount the bible for accurate prophesy, ...Nostradamus' quatrains have been quite accurate as well.

But they've been quite wrong too.  Why?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 07:43:05 AM »

Unlike Bible prophecy, prophecies by Nostradamus and other so called "prophets" are written in such a vague and ambiguous way that it makes their interpretation nearly impossible before the event, which makes them useless as predictive tools.  What is the point of a prediction that cannot be interpreted correctly before the event?

Bible prophecy is very specific, naming actual names of real cities, countries, locations, cultures, religious groups, etc.  Many are very detailed, such as the destruction of the first and second Jerusalem temples and how they would be destroyed, the destruction of Tyre by Alexander the Great and how Alexander would destroy it and what would happen after it had been destroyed, the birth of Jesus Christ and the city where he would be born, the return of Israel to the land of Palestine, etc.  archaeologists and historians, both religious and non-religious, have proved that the texts containing the prophecies belong to a time much earlier than the time of the actual event, the time of its fulfilment.  There is not one Bible prophecy that somebody could say "here, the Bible said that this would happen, but it didn't happen or the opposite happened.  The Bible was wrong"  No, so far, the Bible has always been right.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 02:11:55 PM »
i prefer that people don't quote the bible when they discuss things with me, or put it on the voicemail of their phone

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 06:22:28 PM »
so, do you believe the bible when it talks of people who lived to 350 years old and other stupid stuff like that?
Valhalla awaits.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 06:23:37 PM »
my original point, which no one has commented on, was how i find it stupid when in a debate or argument about something and the other person quotes the bible to help his argument.  Just because he may believe in the bible doesn't mean I or others do, so what is the piont of that.
Valhalla awaits.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 07:37:17 PM »
my original point, which no one has commented on, was how i find it stupid when in a debate or argument about something and the other person quotes the bible to help his argument.  Just because he may believe in the bible doesn't mean I or others do, so what is the piont of that.

I think loco's previous post does address your point.  You probably just disagree.

Quote from: loco on February 03, 2007, 06:57:36 AM
Hedge,

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
  • Dan18 has a huge forehead
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 01:59:46 PM »

Actually the bible quoted Jesus as it was written (at least the new testament) after his death

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 09:35:20 PM »

Even if it were intended to be the 'word of god', by their own admission, it is the 'word of man'.