Author Topic: Carlton Haselrig: Superman  (Read 1384 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
Carlton Haselrig: Superman
« on: June 07, 2023, 09:52:58 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlton_Haselrig#Death

Carlton Lee Haselrig (January 22, 1966 – July 22, 2020) was an American heavyweight wrestler and National Football League (NFL) player. Haselrig wrestled for University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. He is the only person to win six NCAA titles in wrestling, three times in Division II and three times in Division I. His three-peat of Division II & Division I NCAA National Championships were won in 1987, 1988, and 1989. All six championships were won for Pitt–Johnstown. Haselrig then moved on to professional football, where he played five seasons in the NFL, becoming a Pro Bowl guard in 1992. In 2008, he made his mixed martial arts debut in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Haselrig #77

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Re: Carlton Haselrig: Superman
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 01:47:00 AM »
Why was he allowed to compete in Div II and Div I in wrestling?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 04:42:17 AM »
Why was he allowed to compete in Div II and Div I in wrestling?

He was a D-2 wrestler.

At that time D-2 and D-3 NCAA wrestling national champions got an invite to the D-1 NCAA tournament.

He won three D-2 National Championships, got invited to the D-1 and won those too.

He was not the first to do so but the NCAA freaked about him winning all those so they stopped inviting D-2 and D-3 champs to the D-1.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 12:48:36 AM »
He was a D-2 wrestler.

At that time D-2 and D-3 NCAA wrestling national champions got an invite to the D-1 NCAA tournament.

He won three D-2 National Championships, got invited to the D-1 and won those too.

He was not the first to do so but the NCAA freaked about him winning all those so they stopped inviting D-2 and D-3 champs to the D-1.
Got it, I'm just surprised they allowed wrestlers to move up and compete at a higher division. If they allowed all wrestlers to move between divisions the D1 guys would clean up.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 05:13:21 AM »
Got it, I'm just surprised they allowed wrestlers to move up and compete at a higher division. If they allowed all wrestlers to move between divisions the D1 guys would clean up.

Only the champs of their respective Divisions were allowed to do that and only for the NCAA D-1 Tournament.

Occasionally D-1, D-2, and D-3 schools have matches with each other outside of their leagues for practice.

My college roommate was a D-3 national champ and they wrestled Syracuse (then a D-1 school) and he kicked the other kid's butt.

Some of the D-3 and D-2 guys are definitely good enough to go D-1 but for various reasons don't get recruited by D-1 or just decide to go somewhere where they will get to wrestle in matches.

Some guys who do go D-1 are not so hot and only wrestle a few matches in their careers like some D-1 football players never get to play in a game.

Also, D-1 NCAA wrestling only allows about 9.9 full scholarships so these are often split up between athletes if you get anything at all.  No money in wrestling.  You have to love the sport.

Big D-1 football powers have 6 deep at various positions.  You'll never get to play, just practice.

Some parents are delusional about wrestling paying for their kid's college education.  They spend way more money training their kid and taking him all over to tournaments than they would pay for the kid's college.

https://scholarshipstats.com/wrestling

The average NCAA Division I men’s team has a roster size of 35 wrestlers but only a maximum of 9.9 athletic scholarships per team are available. This means the average award covers less than 30% of an athlete’s annual college costs.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2023, 01:31:25 AM »
I love watching college wrestling on the Big10, Pac12 and ACC channels almost as much as woman's gymnastics but for different reasons.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2023, 02:53:02 AM »
I love watching college wrestling on the Big10, Pac12 and ACC channels almost as much as woman's gymnastics but for different reasons.

I like it too. 

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2023, 10:21:19 AM »
Was he jabbed???

PIP

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2023, 10:38:19 AM »