Author Topic: Iran sentences U.S. journalist to 8 years  (Read 3298 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Iran sentences U.S. journalist to 8 years
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 04:29:03 PM »
What do you consider a Military Tribunal?

I think that very well may be considered a secret trial.

How secret is this trial when we know about it's outcome?

It's a trial that contains pretty much all of the due process a person gets a "regular" criminal trial.  I'm unaware of it being "secret," where no one knows what's going on, what the charges are, etc. 

Regarding this particular woman, we apparently don't know precisely what she was charged with, what the evidence was, who the witnesses were, etc.  Any American who travels abroad should be disturbed by this. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 04:29:45 PM »

You know, I always feel a little dumber after engaging you,

That usually happens when one realizes they don't know as much as they thought they did.

and I don't have much to work with.   :-\

Of this, I think we are all far too painfully aware!
w

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2009, 04:33:59 PM »
It's a trial that contains pretty much all of the due process a person gets a "regular" criminal trial.  I'm unaware of it being "secret," where no one knows what's going on, what the charges are, etc. 

Half the time  Three Quarters of the time, defense attorneys can't even have access to the evidence being used against their clients or even be informed what it is.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2009, 05:05:15 PM »
He wouldn't have responded with words, he would have responded with something that sent a stronger message....

A giant rolling eye face:  ::)

hahaha i can just picture BB standing at a press conference as sec of state.  The reporter asks him to respond to the question, and he delivers a big puffy-cheeked smile, followed by an animated eye roll, complete with head bobble.

hahaha classic moment.  I wonder how FOX news would report on it.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2009, 10:19:32 PM »
This is one of many primary examples that demonstrate how truly warped the lefts view of the world is.

You guys bitch about Gitmo. You guys whine about America. You guys will stick up for anyone as long as it isn't an American.

Throwing your completely baseless accusations about America out of the picture for a moment, even if those accusations were accurate, how can you smugly sit there and take the "high ground" when an American journalist is wrongfully imprisoned in Iran with no real trial for 8 years. You fucking spineless weasels still try to blame the Bush administration for this miscarriage of justice. Even this is Bush's fault?!??!!?

When your relatives die of old age or cancer, do you blame that on Bush also? Or, do you say, well- America created cancer and death from old age, so why is it a big deal?

You numbskulls apply the same haphazard logic when people criticize Obama for the same shit Bush did. You ignore Obama's missteps, lies and screw ups and instead say- Well, Bush did it so who cares. I hope ( actually I dont hope, because none of you should reproduce) that when you have children and they do something wrong, you tell them its ok... Bush must have done the same thing also! And he became president!

While you fucking wastes of space have the ACLU, half of Congress, the Senate and the whole media making sure the scum of the earth are treated "humanely", you all bury your heads in the sand when a real miscarriage of justice occurs.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2009, 10:35:07 PM »
This is one of many primary examples that demonstrate how truly warped the lefts view of the world is.

You guys bitch about Gitmo. You guys whine about America. You guys will stick up for anyone as long as it isn't an American.

Throwing your completely baseless accusations about America out of the picture for a moment, even if those accusations were accurate, how can you smugly sit there and take the "high ground" when an American journalist is wrongfully imprisoned in Iran with no real trial for 8 years. You fucking spineless weasels still try to blame the Bush administration for this miscarriage of justice. Even this is Bush's fault?!??!!?

When your relatives die of old age or cancer, do you blame that on Bush also? Or, do you say, well- America created cancer and death from old age, so why is it a big deal?

You numbskulls apply the same haphazard logic when people criticize Obama for the same shit Bush did. You ignore Obama's missteps, lies and screw ups and instead say- Well, Bush did it so who cares. I hope ( actually I dont hope, because none of you should reproduce) that when you have children and they do something wrong, you tell them its ok... Bush must have done the same thing also! And he became president!

While you fucking wastes of space have the ACLU, half of Congress, the Senate and the whole media making sure the scum of the earth are treated "humanely", you all bury your heads in the sand when a real miscarriage of justice occurs.

Wow... Moronic Meltdown.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2009, 11:18:34 PM »

Truth. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2009, 08:29:29 AM »
"I am deeply disappointed by the reported sentencing of Roxana Saberi by the Iranian judiciary," U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a statement. "We are working closely with the Swiss Protecting Presence to obtain details about the court's decision, and to ensure her well-being."

Clinton said the United States will "continue to vigorously raise our concerns to the Iranian government."
"

In other words, this poor woman is SOL as we will do nothing but talk to them.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2009, 08:51:19 AM »
In other words, this poor woman is SOL as we will do nothing but talk to them.

let's hear your solution.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2009, 08:55:24 AM »

Do you hate everyone and everything that is not American?
I hate the State.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2009, 09:48:12 AM »
* if you are white

" STAY THE FUCK OUT OF COUNTRIES LIKE IRAN AND PAKISTAN "

in otherwords...dont touch a hot stove and then whine if you get burned
carpe` vaginum!

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2009, 07:15:03 PM »
No Decide- I just hate you and people like you.

First off this former beauty queen from North Dakota isn't white- shes only been involved in journalism for a very short time- There is no shot she was "spying".

Eh- Maybe that was a meltdown- too many bad words. But someone needed to say it. Where the fuck is amnesty international and the ACLU now? Where are the protests!?!?

The best we can do for an American wrongfully imprisoned overseas is issue a statement " I am very disappointed". I'm surprised Hillary and Barry didn't issue pictures of themselves to the media with their arms folded in defiance frowining like Charlie Brown. That will show Iran! Diplomacy and kissing the filthy smelly ass of the Arab world has clearly worked wonders so far.

Whats next? A deodorant embargo?  ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2009, 07:18:16 PM »
let's hear your solution.

Reagan had a good solution with Libya.  Notice how they never screwed with us again.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2009, 07:25:01 PM »
i think it would be silly for any of us to believe we "know" she is or isn't spying over there.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2009, 07:27:46 PM »
 ::)

240 you see conspiracy theories when you take a shit. -"Must've been that damn GWB putting extra fiber in my bannana soy smoothie again".

Dude, get a fucking clue.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2009, 07:33:37 PM »

240 you see conspiracy theories when you take a shit. -"Must've been that damn GWB putting extra fiber in my bannana soy smoothie again".

This is the mental disorder at work.  This girl was probably a young naive idealistic jounrnalist and got caught up in this nonsense and now Zero and Hillary will sit silent because it does not fit ni their plans to seeing "we shall overcome" with Ahmedenajad.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2009, 08:00:04 PM »

Good point. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2009, 08:01:12 PM »
No, my point is there there are probably thousands of Americans in Iran.

Why did this one get chosen for 8 years in prison?  

Maybe she was just "naive and idealistic" as 333386 puts it.

Or, maybe it's "naive and idealistic" to believe we don't spy on iran.  Or that this girl wasn't, because, um...

Oh, because zero sucks.  great.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2009, 08:01:39 PM »
This is the mental disorder at work.  This girl was probably a young naive idealistic jounrnalist and got caught up in this nonsense and now Zero and Hillary will sit silent because it does not fit ni their plans to seeing "we shall overcome" with Ahmedenajad.

Yep.  She did work for both NPR and the BBC.  Clearly a sinister U.S./British spy.   ::)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2009, 09:22:18 PM »
No Decide- I just hate you and people like you.

First off this former beauty queen from North Dakota isn't white- shes only been involved in journalism for a very short time- There is no shot she was "spying".

Eh- Maybe that was a meltdown- too many bad words. But someone needed to say it. Where the fuck is amnesty international and the ACLU now? Where are the protests!?!?

The best we can do for an American wrongfully imprisoned overseas is issue a statement " I am very disappointed". I'm surprised Hillary and Barry didn't issue pictures of themselves to the media with their arms folded in defiance frowining like Charlie Brown. That will show Iran! Diplomacy and kissing the filthy smelly ass of the Arab world has clearly worked wonders so far.

Whats next? A deodorant embargo?  ::)

Do you say this when people are "convicted" of drug smuggling in places like Japan and Thailand?

Other countries convict US citizens of crimes all of the time.

Is this just because it's "Iran"?

How man spies did the US try and convict during the cold war?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2009, 09:25:45 PM »
11:19 a.m. : One day after Roxana Saberi, an Iranian-American journalist, was sentenced to eight years in prison for espionage, following a one-day trial behind closed doors in Tehran, Iran’s state news agency IRNA reports that Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad sent a letter to Tehran’s chief prosecutor instructing him to ensure that Ms. Saberi is given the opportunity to present a full defense... Observers have speculated that Ms. Saberi’s case is now part of a struggle taking place inside the opaque world of Iran’s complex government over how to respond to recent overtures from the United States to repair relations.

As Nazila Fathi reported in The Times on Saturday, Ms. Saberi’s lawyer, Abdolsamad Khoramshahi, “told the official Iranian news agency, IRNA, that he had been told he could appeal the case, and said he would.”... IRNA said the letter from Ahmadinejad’s chief of staff, Abdolreza Sheikholeslami, to prosecutor Saeed Mortazavi dealt with Saberi’s case as well as that of detained Iranian blogger Hossein Derakhshan.

“Based on the president’s insistence, please make sure that all the legal stages about the mentioned people be based on justice,” the letter said. ” … and you personally make sure that the accused people will enjoy all freedoms and legal rights to defend themselves and their rights will not be violated,” it added.

Ms. Saberi’s lawyer, Mr. Khorramshahi, told Reuters on Sunday: “We also want what the president wants, especially regarding making meeting my client easier, and also we want them (the judiciary) to be more accurate at the appeals stage.” Mr. Khorramshahi added that Iran’s most famous human-rights lawyer, Shirin Ebadi, is joining the legal team defending Ms. Saberi. In 2003, Ms. Ebadi won the Nobel Peace Prize but, as we’ve reported here on The Lede, more recently her ability to work has been restricted by the Iranian authorities.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2009, 06:46:16 AM »
TU- your missing the point and misstating the relevance of my argument. I don't get up at arms when Americans are convicted of drug smuggling in Thailand- First because its illegal, second because you should know how severe the drug laws are in Asia before agreeing to risk life and limb, and third because I am not one of these numbskulls who wants to save the world and make sure people who break the law abroad get the best human rights treatment possible. This woman was not a spy- That's the point; What does the prosecution of spys during the cold war have to do with this story?

My point is that people who ARE like that are silent here. AMERICANS that blow a gasket when a terrorist or convicted rapist dont get a color TV in their cell are sitting on their hands here and saying nothing. These individuals do backflips to assist the cause of American criminals and international terrorists, but when someone fails to fall into either of those categories, nobody says a thing.

We constantly hear and see in the news how oppressive and horrible America is. Iran is just a misunderstood country that was bullied by the Bush Admin and unjustly cast into the Axis of Evil-- Even Iranian Nobel prize winners cannot fully function under the current regime. Free speech is a fantasy, and Iranians are bullied, tortured and murdered by their own government. I guess until America concedes that it is responsible for the Iranian governments behavior because of its foreign policy, Iran is justified in its actions.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2009, 10:11:27 AM »

her father is on MSNBC being interviewed right now.  He says she's been a journalist for 6 years.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2009, 10:12:25 AM »
her father is on MSNBC being interviewed right now.  He says she's been a journalist for 6 years.

Right, so you believe Iran now????

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2009, 10:15:55 AM »
Right, so you believe Iran now????

LMAO...

This is her father speaking.

So he's lying now?