Author Topic: It Factor  (Read 5894 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
It Factor
« on: May 15, 2011, 06:29:46 AM »
Who in your opinion had the "it" factor but was never given the chance to shine???

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: It Factor
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 08:26:09 AM »
Who in your opinion had the "it" factor but was never given the chance to shine???

Hennig & Steamboat: the Fed drastically underutilized both of them.

We know why Steamboat was held back, but his perpetual "punishment" - even upon his return - made little sense. He was always in great shape, was a great worker, people loved him, he kept his nose clean, and never got into any kind of trouble that defamed the company. He would have represented the WWF exceptionally well as champion. Instead, they made him wear a tail & scales.

Hennig was a fan favorite no matter which side of the fence he worked. He put on a terrific show in the ring and on the mic. For as great an overall worker as he was, I can't believe they never put the big belt on him - even as a transitional champion to at least "try him out."
He was a part of some big angles, but I feel the WWF missed the boat as far as getting the most out of him.
WCW was even worse in that regard.

Attila

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 10:29:13 AM »
Ivan Putsky
"lifting for life"

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 10:31:46 AM »
Jake Roberts, end of thread.

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 04:00:06 PM »
the juicer.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 05:34:42 AM »
Easy question....easy answer....

The Road Warriors circa 1990. They brought them in, made money off them for a year and then shipped them off only to have them come back in 1996-1998 as jobbers....WTF...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 06:20:08 AM »
Since he was brought up in another thread, Orndorff was a surprise; I can't even remember him holding any while in the Fed.
Although, Paul confessed through interviews in later years that he was never a "company/yes man."
Admittedly, he never kissed the right asses and played the game, and he acknowledges that this was a mistake at the time and likely what held him back.

He worked a couple of programs with Hogan and made some good money.
Once he suffered the nerve damage in his arm, though, I think he went downhill from there.

Paul was also one of the legitimate tough guys in the business.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 07:10:53 PM »
Easy question....easy answer....

The Road Warriors circa 1990. They brought them in, made money off them for a year and then shipped them off only to have them come back in 1996-1998 as jobbers....WTF...

I couldn't believe when they came back as jobbers, their initial run as Legion of Doom was so fucking badass!!

it took the Road Warrior thing to a whole nother level, maybe it was the cool red football pads with spikes, they were better organized and put together then when they were road warriors.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 06:36:07 AM »
Since he was brought up in another thread, Orndorff was a surprise; I can't even remember him holding any while in the Fed.
Although, Paul confessed through interviews in later years that he was never a "company/yes man."
Admittedly, he never kissed the right asses and played the game, and he acknowledges that this was a mistake at the time and likely what held him back.

He worked a couple of programs with Hogan and made some good money.
Once he suffered the nerve damage in his arm, though, I think he went downhill from there.

Paul was also one of the legitimate tough guys in the business.
In a shoot interview from several years ago he stated that the 6 month fued with Hogan made him set for life. That how much he was making on the gate alone plus his salary whilst main eventing with Hogan in the peak of the eighties.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 10:56:15 AM »

Mr. P is Timmys favorite as well. Mimic the gum slap and pen flip every single day! We have small white towels in my gym. Timmy does the towel toss as well. At the time? No. He couldn't beat Hulkster, Warrior, or Bret. No one ever looked as good as Perfect with any gold. Now I do wish he had held the heavyweight title. Guy deserved it. I think VKM utilized Perfect better then any other Federation Super Star  in the history of the entire show. Any place they put him he was Perfect. primetime, Executive consultant, guest ref, announcer, or wrestler. Where ever he was he did a terrific job. Confident and knew how to play the crowd. Out of all those WCW sell outs. All of them can go to hell. Why did VKM let Perfect go? If I ever meet him thats the one question I'm gonna ask him. I still think he's the best all around super star as long as I've been watching the show. His WCW career doesn't even exist to me. Perfect.

All wrestlers have a usable shelf life of about 3-4 years per run (maybe 5-6) at which point  they become stale and just don't fit with the changing times, so their character needs a reboot or come back as a masked wrestler, it's happened with most of the major guys even hogan had his as hollywood hogan with black colors instead of yellow.

I think that's what happened to perfect, he just got caught in the paradigm shift and they couldn't really use him, at least without taking a 2-3 year break to let the audience soften up so they could re-introducec him again like they do all guys, back before tv this was no problem cause guys would just go to another territory but since Vince
had these guys in your living room 2x a week he had to do something else for a while.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 12:55:56 PM »
Don't forget that Henning also had a bad back that required surgery which is why he was cut short in his tenure with the WWE in the early ninties.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 03:01:08 PM »
Don't forget that Henning also had a bad back that required surgery which is why he was cut short in his tenure with the WWE in the early ninties.

That's true in terms of the Fed, but what about WCW?
When Hennig returned to full-time action with them, what did they do?
They made him a f'n country music singer.
 :-\

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 03:07:25 PM »

Which sucks because other then Flair NOBODY took bumps like him, his flips in the ropes were legendary

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 10:39:47 AM »

That's true in terms of the Fed, but what about WCW?
When Hennig returned to full-time action with them, what did they do?
They made him a f'n country music singer.
 :-\
WCW totally misused and totally butchered not only Henning, also Hart, Benoit and a shit load of others. They would play up the stupid "Flock" but not these guys who had 'it".

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 10:55:05 AM »
WCW totally misused and totally butchered not only Henning, also Hart, Benoit and a shit load of others. They would play up the stupid "Flock" but not these guys who had 'it".

They let Austin and Foley walk right out the front door!

Talk about sweet revenge!!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 12:02:13 PM »

They let Austin and Foley walk right out the front door!

Talk about sweet revenge!!
Add Guerrerro, Benoit, Saturn & Malenko to that list...

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 01:49:46 PM »
Add Guerrerro, Benoit, Saturn & Malenko to that list...

One of the best debuts ever, JR's remark about them being from down South was brilliant

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 06:02:43 PM »

This is the sweetest revenge I can remember. How did WCW work out for you Bret?

I'm not sure I follow...
This was revenge for who?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 06:24:09 AM »
Me either???

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
I think in WWE, Junkyard Dog...big in Stampede and Mid-South and crazy over in WWF.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 08:04:05 PM »
I think in WWE, Junkyard Dog...big in Stampede and Mid-South and crazy over in WWF.

I remember seeing clips of JYD in mid-south coming out to Atomic Dog and thinking he was very cool....  then he got to the WWF and I thought....not so much.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 09:24:20 PM »
WCW picked up Bret (and just like with Warrior) sat on him and did next to nothing with him, well except pay him 2 million a year to sit on the side lines, LOL.. that company was so fucked, they had all the top talent and not one decent guy to write a storyline or use them properly, so sad.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 05:09:36 AM »
Bret had the biggest "it" factor ever imaginable. Timmy will always stand behind him being P4P best champion. How did WCW loose with this guy? Sweet revenge? Well ask my nephew who Bret Hart is? We couldn't get more "it" then Bret. The best there is. The best there was. And the best there ever will be. What goes up must come down. Bret screwed Bret. I couldn't wait for that WCW balloon to pop.

If Timmy ever feels down. I just watch this clip with extreme satisfaction. Couldn't wait for WCW to get flushed down the cammode. I can die a happy man. F Bischoff and that entire organization. All of them!

Okay.
The pics threw me off; I was looking for a connection between the '97 SS, Vince, Shawn, and Bret, and wondering just who benefited from that in a "revenge" fashion.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 08:12:22 PM »
You guys cannot understand how much I hate the NWO, Kevin Nash, Tony Schiavone, The Living Legend, Jericho, and Bischoff. What they did to Perfect. It does make it better that The Federation conquered. But for the rest of my life I'll always have bad feelings about that time in my life. How did they F up such a superstar like Bret Hart? Why didn't they make Perfect a Horseman? Unbelievable.

Hennig should have been a Horseman.
I would even have preferred to see Bret join the Horsemen for a while before he & Flair feuded over who should be the leader, etc.

WCW's quickest & easiest answer when they didn't know what to do with a talent was to throw them into the/an NWO.
It's as if it became so easy to do, they stopped trying to think of substantial booking for guys.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 06:36:59 AM »

Hennig should have been a Horseman.
I would even have preferred to see Bret join the Horsemen for a while before he & Flair feuded over who should be the leader, etc.

WCW's quickest & easiest answer when they didn't know what to do with a talent was to throw them into the/an NWO.
It's as if it became so easy to do, they stopped trying to think of substantial booking for guys.

The truth if it has ever been told.