Author Topic: what do you do when the heaviest dumbbell in the gym gets too light for you?  (Read 6954 times)

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
Move from the pinks to the blues.

There's always the silvers, but those are metaly and loud.

hahahaah

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
yeah last week i had to train back and i wanted to start off with some heavy db rows. anyway when i went to the dumbell rack i saw that someone took the heavy db's away. turns out that some old fart is using them to do side bends or something. i already felt the blood rushing to my head and said no way jose, im not gonna wait for some old fart, i have a grappling class in starting in 60 minutes. then the guy said he was going to complain to the gym manager. i IMMEDIATELY grabbed him by the throat and screamed as hard as i could right in his ear: I NEED THOSE DUMBELLS YOU LITTLE SHIT!!! he then said that i could use the dumbells and i never saw him again. see i'm not a violent guy at all but i just can't stand injustice, then i get really angry.
anyway what would you guys do?

Flex Wheeler=Ninjas
I hate the State.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
why can't they have a dumbbell rack that goes up to 200?  >:(

I know you are joking around, but your question indicates that you do not understand how to increase tension by reducing leverage.  This is a limitation that many BBers share with you.

Permabulker

• Getbig IV
  • 1*
Im pretty strong and so is dave and mos perma as well and i dont go over 130s on db bench so what the hell are you using them for..
MAYBE he is Bill Kaz in disguise?

Sam

• Getbig IV
  • I just shoot the bastards.....Thats my policy!
Depending on the width of the 25lbs plates in your gym, just buy a single or pair of olympic dumbbell handles. You should be able to fit #200-225 on one.

After a certain point, it's probably best to change to all barbell work.

We have these already made up in my gym - they call them dumbbells.

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
i return the the smallest one and start all over  :P

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
MAYBE he is Bill Kaz in disguise?
My gym has 230 dbs with lots of dust on them and there are some big dudes in there...
p

dan18

• Getbig V
leave curves and find a new gym...
p

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
My gym has 230 dbs with lots of dust on them and there are some big dudes in there...

My current gym has dbs up to 160lbs and I'll use them for rows once in a great while.   Other than that I've only been in one gym in Hawaii that had 200lbrs and I tried rowing them for a few reps....afterwards I thought I was gonna die.  Although there's some big Samoan dudes that used them while I was there 10 years ago on my honeymoon.

Permabulker

• Getbig IV
  • 1*

SHIT that is heavy! 

dan18

• Getbig V
My current gym has dbs up to 160lbs and I'll use them for rows once in a great while.   Other than that I've only been in one gym in Hawaii that had 200lbrs and I tried rowing them for a few reps....afterwards I thought I was gonna die.  Although there's some big Samoan dudes that used them while I was there 10 years ago on my honeymoon.
even 160 is more than enough i dont do bb bench dbs are the way to go and still i dont go over 130s 4 to 6 reps max then down to 110 or 115s i couldn't imagine 200 pound dbs...
p

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
even 160 is more than enough i dont do bb bench dbs are the way to go and still i dont go over 130s 4 to 6 reps max then down to 110 or 115s i couldn't imagine 200 pound dbs...

I've never pressed a set of 200lbrs.....at my best I couldn't have.

Permabulker

• Getbig IV
  • 1*

Im the opposite.  I should probably do more DB.....  they only go to 100 at my gym so IF I do them its usually a burn out or something...

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV

switch to real plates

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Cancel your membership at Curves and join a real gym ;D

Permabulker

• Getbig IV
  • 1*
Nah, seriously, I grab 2 pairs of 115s and continue with my workout with 2 DBs in each hand....

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
Upgrade the power rods on the bowflex.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Fuck this thread is hardcore.
I hate the State.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Im pretty strong and so is dave and mos perma as well and i dont go over 130s on db bench so what the hell are you using them for..

Offhand, there are only 2-3 exercises that I could go over a #150 dumbbell-

1) Dumbbell rows.
2) Single arm deadlift.
3) Shrugs.

I could see someone else perhaps needing them if they practiced the some of more esoteric lifts like one arm clean and jerks, side presses, anyhows, etc..... It's rare, but I've seen some of the "dinosaur" trainers put up impressive single dumbbell lifts.

:).

koolie1

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!

Why - so you can stare at it and wonder what it would be like to be able to lift one of them?

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
i train at bally's, the heaviest dumbell is 95 lbs

E
E

Canadian_Muscle

• Getbig III
The only thing i wish we had heavier db's for is db rows, shrugs. I'm fine on db incline presses, db overhead presses and anything else... If im doing flat presses I just use a barbell, and I can save the db rows for the end of my back workout and do them for high reps or something.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
My gym does, now STFU and sit in the corner.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
I'd be surprised if more then 5% of the people on this site actually went past the 100lb dumbells, for ANY exercise.