Author Topic: Govt. paid $1.50 p/lb for Ham under Stim Bill - Food Lion has it for .79 p/lb.  (Read 1695 times)

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
You dont need to, I have already read it a few times.

I am telling you that if you want to stimulate economic activity by productive people who pay taxes and generate income, spending money on food for welfare programs is not the way to go.    

Do you think the food in that welfare program appears out of thin air?

I just looked it up. Public works account for 100 bill of about 800 bill. Depending on whether or not you consider payroll taxes taxes, public works accounts for between 15 to 20% of the money SPENT in the stimulus bill.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Do you think the food in that welfare program appears out of thin air?

I just looked it up. Public works account for 100 bill of about 800 bill. Depending on whether or not you consider payroll taxes taxes, public works accounts for between 15 to 20% of the money SPENT in the stimulus bill.

Im not even saying that it is good.  Just what public works are being paid for with this? 

A bridge to nowhere is not the same as a bridge that connects two cities and eases up traffic congestion. 

Lets see some basic bath - Stimulus bill actuaully was 789 million.  Accordingly, the amount of infrstructure is 12.6%.

However, half of that is for road repairs and other related repairs. 

Only 6% is for New construction like i discussed.  That is why this plan is a complete farce.  I said it from day one, I say it now, and even the results are showing this as UE increases even faster WITH the bill than without it since the money being used is taking away from the private economy. 

Here is a breakdown of what I said. 

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/stimulus/2009/05/22/obamas-stimulus-projects-wont-amount-to-major-infrastructure-overhaul.html

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I'd like to know where all these clowns were when they were spending 1 trillion dollars and counting on a war in Iraq that didn't amount to shit

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I'd like to know where all these clowns were when they were spending 1 trillion dollars and counting on a war in Iraq that didn't amount to shit

You know what, you have a good point and you are absolutely correct on that.  I think one of the reasons people are more upset now is because we are saw and are seeing the results of suck recklessness in spending as evidence by the collapse in late 08' and the continued mess.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
thanks i knew i would be right one of these days

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
From your link"

This stems from the law's main purpose: creating jobs quickly. It prioritizes projects that will be completed within three years. Major highway construction typically takes 13 years from start to finish, reports the Federal Highway Administration.

That doesn't necessarily make the spending ineffective. One quarter of major urban roads, for example, are in poor condition and would benefit from repairs. But it does mean that few projects will have sweeping effects.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
thanks i knew i would be right one of these days

That was ur one chance...
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
From your link"

Again, 6% is for new construction.  

These projects are pot hole repair and make work.  Its like spending an entire day cleaning up the mess in your back year and telling yourself you just completed a capital improvement.  

Its complete nonsense.  

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Plus...these projects aren't forcing new hires...the same people working for the same small companies are getting the jobs. If we were building a new Dam or a major road network, then we might see a dent. But then we'd only see mexicans doing the work anyway.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Plus...these projects aren't forcing new hires...the same people working for the same small companies are getting the jobs. If we were building a new Dam or a major road network, then we might see a dent. But then we'd only see mexicans doing the work anyway.

I cant believe we are even having this discussion.  This is so elementary that politics have taken over what is otherwise common sense economics wise.   

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Uncle Sam always over pays...we over pay in the DOD all the time. The best thing that happened after 911 was we started buying off the shelf much much easier. I've purchased for my guys stuff from stores or online that the DOD has bulk ordered and paid $20 plus dollars per item. Everybody knows that it can rip off the Gov and nobody says anything until much later.
L

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Again, 6% is for new construction.  

These projects are pot hole repair and make work.  Its like spending an entire day cleaning up the mess in your back year and telling yourself you just completed a capital improvement.  

Its complete nonsense.  

Apparently, you are just arbitrarily choosing what you want to hear.

First-it is a stimulus bill- it was intended to create jobs quickly. The article you posted addressed that.

Secondly, the fact that the projects aren't new construction has absolutely no bearing on whether or not it is effective in stimulating the economy.

Thirdly- and this is important- the country's infrastructure is in shambles. Remember that steam pipe explosion in midtown a few years ago? That year, about 15 buildings collapsed in the city. Major bridges are collapsing all over the country.READ THE ARTICLE YOU LINKED!  The final paragraphs are all about the infrastructure problems around the country. Repairs are a big deal. And their immediate benefits fall in line with what the stimulus bill's purpose is.

Once again, I can't believe you attempted to criticize my understanding of economics when you can't seem to grasp the simple concept of a financial transaction for a good or service having a positive effect on the economy.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Apparently, you are just arbitrarily choosing what you want to hear.

First-it is a stimulus bill- it was intended to create jobs quickly. The article you posted addressed that.

Secondly, the fact that the projects aren't new construction has absolutely no bearing on whether or not it is effective in stimulating the economy.

Thirdly- and this is important- the country's infrastructure is in shambles. Remember that steam pipe explosion in midtown a few years ago? That year, about 15 buildings collapsed in the city. Major bridges are collapsing all over the country.READ THE ARTICLE YOU LINKED!  The final paragraphs are all about the infrastructure problems around the country. Repairs are a big deal. And their immediate benefits fall in line with what the stimulus bill's purpose is.

Once again, I can't believe you attempted to criticize my understanding of economics when you can't seem to grasp the simple concept of a financial transaction for a good or service having a positive effect on the economy.

6 months since we passed this and we have LOST 500k jobs per month.  How is that working out. 

The UE rate was to go no higher than 8% WITHOUT THE STIMULUS BILL.  Now is is over 9.5% WITH THE STIMULUS BILL.

What more do you want to know? 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini

This has so many logical holes in it, I don't know where to begin. First of all, these projects do force new hires. Secondly, small companies are the backbone of the economy. Thirdly, even if it was true that these projects didn't force new hires, they do generate revenue that otherwise wouldn't have existed, so there is a benefit. Fourthly, the benefits of smaller projects are more tangible and immediate than larger projects like dams or road networks, even if those projects could have been launched quickly, which was unlikely. I will stop there, but I could really go on and on

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
6 months since we passed this and we have LOST 500k jobs per month.  How is that working out. 

The UE rate was to go no higher than 8% WITHOUT THE STIMULUS BILL.  Now is is over 9.5% WITH THE STIMULUS BILL.

What more do you want to know? 

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=288836.msg4096463#msg4096463

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
SPENDING SCARED: WHITE HOUSE PUTS OFF RELEASE OF BUDGET UPDATE...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $2,531,600 FOR 'HAM, WATER ADDED, COOKED, FROZEN, SLICED, 2-LB'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $1,191,200 FOR '2 POUND FROZEN HAM SLICED'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $351,807 FOR 'REPLACE AND UPGRADE THE DUMBWAITER'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $1,562,568 FOR 'MOZZARELLA CHEESE'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $5,708,260 FOR 'PROCESS CHEESE'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $16,784,272 FOR 'CANNED PORK'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $1,444,100 FOR 'REPAIR DOOR BLDG 5112'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $541,119 FOR 'INSTALL TRAFFIC SIGNAL'...

Agriculture Sec. Vilsack: 'Purchased 760,000 Lbs of ham at cost of approximately $1.50 per pound'...
FOOD LION: $.79 Lb...

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_1OB?contentidonly=true&contentid=2009/07/0322.xml

________________________ ________________________ ______________

We told you hope changers so.  Obama and the RAT stimulus bill was a complete fraud on the public. 

F.u. b.o.!!!!!!!!!!

Classic corruption.  Next we will see $2000 toilet seats. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini

Classic corruption.  Next we will see $2000 toilet seats. 

How is paying the market rate for a product corruption?

OzmO

• Getbig V
How is paying the market rate for a product corruption?

The market rate is a buck fifty a pound yet a grocery store selling it at half that?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini

The numbers dont lie Al. 

We've been over this many times. For a more detailed version of my argument, click on the link in my previous post.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
The market rate is a buck fifty a pound yet a grocery store selling it at half that?

That is a sale price for members of the store's value club. The regular price is $1.70. The store is probably selling the hams below cost.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
That is a sale price for members of the store's value club. The regular price is $1.70. The store is probably selling the hams below cost.

Another thing, we already pay a gas tax for pot hole repair.  Why should we need a "stimulus bill" to accomplish what we already pay taxes for?

OzmO

• Getbig V

They bought 35,000 tons at a buck fifty as opposed to Food Lion selling it at half that.  Bull shit.

They over paid and some people got greased.