Author Topic: 100 pullups  (Read 7777 times)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
100 pullups
« on: November 06, 2006, 04:01:15 PM »
i did 100 pullups just now and it is awesome. my entire upperbody is pumped as balls. in fact i think i will go for 50 more, or until i can no longer pull myself up. i finally reached 50 in 3 sets so i felt inspired. i suggest everyone tries it

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: 100 pullups
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 04:33:11 PM »
Impressive. Having a goal like that, to be carried out in as many sets as necessary, is a great way to shock the system.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 04:47:44 PM »
ended up doing 120. i feel i could have got some more out but i was really hungry.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 04:55:38 PM »
Time to add some serious weight to those pullups if not already done.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 05:04:11 PM »
i usually add 10-15lbs when i do pullups...ive tried heavier but i like to keep them more of a volume exercise. i fucked up one of the tendons in a finger on my right hand a long time ago from doing heavy weighted pullups, plus i felt it in my shoulders. so i keep it pretty light on this particular exercise.
also i usually superset them with barbell rows and those i go heavy on so it wears me out.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 05:12:11 PM »
Straps might allow heavier weight without further stress on the hands.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 06:16:04 PM »
120 pullups eh?

IIRC, the military record is ~50 full range pullups

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 06:17:42 PM »
im horrible at pullups (we are talking wide grip chins right?) the most i can do in one set is about 12-15. I really want to get better at them.
bodybuildersreality.com

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 06:31:31 PM »
120 pullups eh?

IIRC, the military record is ~50 full range pullups
im not talking about 50 in a row...it took me 3 sets to reach 50, and 7 more to reach 120

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 07:16:22 PM »
im not talking about 50 in a row...it took me 3 sets to reach 50, and 7 more to reach 120

I see.

Why don't you strap a 100lb plate on like Yates did?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 07:22:41 PM »
I see.

Why don't you strap a 100lb plate on like Yates did?

He makes these idiotic comments just to try to get a reaction.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 09:39:10 PM »
This is what Arnold used to do .I forget what he called these but they work awesome for pullups....pick a number and try to get to it in as little amount of sets as you can.
bodybuildersreality.com

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 12:41:41 AM »
Good Job.  I remember when the Marines Recruiters used to setup a bar at my high school and offer a free tshirt to anyone who could do 20 pullups.  They didnt give away too many Tshirts.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 02:21:34 AM »
Good Job.  I remember when the Marines Recruiters used to setup a bar at my high school and offer a free tshirt to anyone who could do 20 pullups.  They didnt give away too many Tshirts.
Iv just started doin these. Except shoulder width grip and palms facing.

Im only doing like 4 sets, but im adding reps each time i do them so give me a few months and we'll see lol.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 02:24:09 AM »
This is what Arnold used to do .I forget what he called these but they work awesome for pullups....pick a number and try to get to it in as little amount of sets as you can.

This is a great method that may be called targeting, but i'm not sure. Set a goal of X and use whatever number of sets to get there. It's a good way to push yourself, on any exercise, as long as you really don't stop each set until you can't move another rep.

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 03:09:02 AM »
i did 100 pullups just now and it is awesome. my entire upperbody is pumped as balls. in fact i think i will go for 50 more, or until i can no longer pull myself up. i finally reached 50 in 3 sets so i felt inspired. i suggest everyone tries it
YOUR FULL OF SHIT LIAR..BULLSHIT
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 04:59:37 AM »
i have to call bullshit... unless you are using the worst form ever... there is no way that you are using a full ROM

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-2643.html

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2002112211129/$file/pull-up4lr.jpg

Lance Cpl. Seth F. Redford, Platoon 2117, Co. E, broke the Depot's record for pull-ups done by a recruit when he did 76 pull-ups during the company's final physical fitness test, Nov. 15. Redford claims that motivation from his senior drill instructor, Staff Sgt. Stephen Lotempio, was a big part of the reason he was able to not only beat the record but to push himself.
Photo by: Cpl. Ethan E. Rocke

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(November 22, 2002) -- A Marine who graduates from recruit training today did 76 pull-ups Nov. 15 during his final physical fitness test, shattering the Depot's old record of 65, set in 1999.

Lance Cpl. Seth F. Redford, platoon guide, Platoon 2117, and company honorman, Company E, is 30 years old and holds two bachelor's degrees from Brigham Young University in Utah, one in political science and one in law.

Redford, who said he has always enjoyed keeping himself physically fit, did 60 pull-ups during his initial strength test. He said he was able to break the record with his will power and a lot of motivation from his drill instructors.

"I could not have done this without my drill instructors, especially my senior drill instructor," Redford said. "It was theirs' and God's help that enabled me to do this."

Redford's drill instructors were very persistent about improving their recruits' physical fitness.

"Every time a recruit went to the head he was encouraged (by the drill instructors) to do a maximum set of pull-ups going in and a maximum set coming out," said Redford. Becauses of this training Platoon 2117 claimed the record for average Physical Fitness Test Score.

While Redford spoke highly of his drill instructors, they had some good things to say about him as well.

"When I first saw him during the IST, I said to myself 'he's going to be the company honorman,'" said Staff Sgt. James R. Smith, series gunnery sergeant, Series 2117, Co. E.

Redford said he aspires to one day become an officer in the force reconnaissance job field, but he enlisted in the Marines to learn leadership from the bottom up.

Redford said. "I would never order someone to do something I wouldn't do myself, and I think my enlisted experience will help prepare me for that kind of leadership responsibility."

Redford's outstanding accomplishments and experiences in recruit training have set him up for success in the future.

"It is hard to put into words what the boot camp experience is truly like," he said. "Only through experience is one able to comprehend the incredible transformation a young motivated civilian goes through to earn the title U.S. Marine."

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 09:20:10 AM »
im assuming those marines did it in one set....?(which is incredible)

otherwise 76, broken into sets, is a peice of cake

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 10:24:30 AM »
This is a great method that may be called targeting, but i'm not sure. Set a goal of X and use whatever number of sets to get there. It's a good way to push yourself, on any exercise, as long as you really don't stop each set until you can't move another rep.
targeting, thats it! I've only tried this with pullups.
bodybuildersreality.com

wishtobbigger

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 10:30:45 AM »
it was 76 in one set, there was a method to doing it he would hang from one arm and shake the other out then repeat for the other side  but never once getting down off from the bar. i am currently doing a hundred fulll rom pull ups unwieghted but set up into 10 sets of ten with 30 secs of rest in between then doing 100 decline bench 10 for 10 and then rows 10 for 12 and then incline flys 10 for 12 it is an amazing pump cannot really get to heavy like i used to for the lower rep and set range but damn what a pump
BKS: the peoples champion

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 10:58:51 AM »
it was 76 in one set, there was a method to doing it he would hang from one arm and shake the other out then repeat for the other side  but never once getting down off from the bar. i am currently doing a hundred fulll rom pull ups unwieghted but set up into 10 sets of ten with 30 secs of rest in between then doing 100 decline bench 10 for 10 and then rows 10 for 12 and then incline flys 10 for 12 it is an amazing pump cannot really get to heavy like i used to for the lower rep and set range but damn what a pump
damn theres no way i could have done 120 bb rows after what i did!

wishtobbigger

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 01:31:04 PM »
what you did was amazing to say the least getting 50 in a couple of sets i hate having to do 20 or so in one set it is a good workout though, my body and forearms are burning like crazy
BKS: the peoples champion

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 11:45:06 AM »
im horrible at pullups (we are talking wide grip chins right?) the most i can do in one set is about 12-15. I really want to get better at them.

i suffer from the same problem. i suck at pullups...im literally embarassed when i do them. if i do them at the end of the workout and im going for higher reps i even need to use the assist machine. its depressing...

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 03:32:15 AM »
i suffer from the same problem. i suck at pullups...im literally embarassed when i do them. if i do them at the end of the workout and im going for higher reps i even need to use the assist machine. its depressing...

Just stick with them dude, i think any exercise that puts whole body through motion (squats,deads, cleans,clean press, dips,chins/pullups) takes sum getting used to.

I see plenty strong guys in my gym who will bench all day every day, but cant do many dips with full range of motion. Takes practice.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2006, 07:03:06 AM »
if i do them at the end of the workout and im going for higher reps i even need to use the assist machine. its depressing...

Ya stick with em AND don't do them towards the beginning of the workout.