Author Topic: 12 reps?  (Read 3217 times)

Eggbert

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Gerbils all the way!
12 reps?
« on: November 20, 2005, 09:38:11 AM »
I was talking to my mate at the gym and he was insisting that 12 reps is the way to grow!

my thoughts are lift to failure but he seems adamant that the extra blood going to the muscles is going to make him grow more, i know everyone is different but is this there any truth in this theory in your opinion?

I'm not going to change on the back of this but i do respect his opinions and he ususally talks sense but i'm not sure about sticking religiously to  to 12 reps.

toooodles
Gerblis! Ye haa

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
Re: 12 reps?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 09:47:08 AM »
i feel like for some things, 12 is too many, specifically, chest, i don't like that many reps.  I like 8-12 for most back and leg exercises, though.  I also do about the same rep range for arms.
:-)

Eggbert

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Gerbils all the way!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 09:50:45 AM »
yeah i do more for legs, but i'm wondering is there any basis to this argument or is it a case of well it does not feel right i will not do it?
Gerblis! Ye haa

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 11:04:13 AM »
Personally, for me it's total muscle overload. I have to overtrain in order to grow. It would be nice for example to do a chest workout as follows;

incline bench, 3 sets x 8-12 reps.   
Flat bench, 3 sets x 8-12 reps
dips, 3 sets x 10-12 reps
flyes, 3 sets x 12-15reps

Yeah, that may work for most people, but since i never had the genetics for muscle growth, I had to conduct studies on myself, my eating habits, and my training. Now since I'm tall (compared to 90% of the BBing world) and never had any muscle potential shown on my body, I figured I needed some extreme training, but not so much as that to make me really over train. So for the past month, this has been working for me;

Incline db presses, 3 sets x 6-10 reps
flat bench press, 3 sets x 6-10 reps
dips, 3 sets x 12 reps
hammer strength incline presses, 2 sets x 10-12 reps
hammer strength flat presses, 2 sets x 10-12 reps
cable crossovers, 3 sets x 12-15 reps

As u can see, I've added a little more work than I usually do, but this is the way I've found my larger muscle groups grow best. Heavy compound movements first, machines second, cables last.
Just like back, but I always save deadlifts for last cause I go so hard, I have nothing left after that. Also deadlifts drains U unlike any other exercise. Quick back example would be: Chins, BB rows, 1 arm db rows, 1 arm hammer strength machine rows, hammer strength lat pulls, cable pulldowns, and deadlifts.

I haven't found yet what works best for small body parts like arms, but I've been training to total muscle failure on them with moderate results. My damn arms are pretty long, so it's very tough.

It all depends on the individual. Maybe 12 reps works for some, but not for me. I've tried it for too long with no forward progress.
CEA999

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 10:32:08 AM »
im the same way and unless im training as heavy as i can...i don't feel like im training....i don't have fun and thats no good.
bodybuildersreality.com

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 08:48:16 PM »
it depends on a bodypart.  for deads i keep reps in the 3-5 range (except warm-up sets).  do more and ancilliary muscles kick in.  i like doing 20 reps for bb rows, leg presses, and hack squats.  otherwise, i usually stick to 6-10 reps for other exercises.  also remember that reps are just a number.  make sure you get a good pump whether it is 5 or 25 reps.  once, with the gym partner yelling at my side, i did 42 reps on a hack squat machine even though i planned to do only 10-12.