Author Topic: high volume training vs low volume  (Read 5861 times)

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: high volume training vs low volume
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 03:07:33 PM »
common sense should tell anyone that low volume is gonna force the body to grow faster than high volume...

it's pretty much a no brainer, unless you're one of those guys who has a low discomfort tolerance and refuses to put themselves under anything heavy.....

in which case you're gonna believe anything that's easiest on your egos ...

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 03:09:22 PM »
common sense should tell anyone that low volume is gonna force the body to grow faster than high volume...

it's pretty much a no brainer, unless you're one of those guys who has a low discomfort tolerance and refuses to put themselves under anything heavy.....

in which case you're gonna believe anything that's easiest on your egos ...

Then get on roids lol

But you are right. low volume=grow but low volume=messed up elbow as well

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2009, 03:10:52 PM »

Nah, that depends on how you train, learning what to avoid over time.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2009, 03:14:36 PM »

Nah, that depends on how you train.

Pyramid...Ex..Shoulders. BB Military Press, 1st set 135x15 2nd set 185x12 205x10 225x8 250x6

the first 3 sets are warmups

CoolDuck

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 12:42:10 AM »
Then get on roids lol

Exactly- and shoulders.

CD

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2009, 03:01:16 AM »
both methods work, every workout method works, find what works best for you!
it is different for everybody in my opinion, people make bodybuilding so complicated.
just get in the damn gym and lift then eat some prime rib, steak and cheese cake. :P

all methods work if you use gear. and btw weight training is complicated IF you want to optimise your gains. It is only simple and basic if you are happy to arrive at your gains over time and waste alot of energy.

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2009, 03:06:29 AM »
high volume is usually what people call lazy training. they do a bunch of sets that basically sap their energy before they get to actual weights that may stimulate growth.

all you have to do is look at olympic athletes to see what does and doesnt work.

they never train sub maximal except for warmups, and dont engage in long, drawnout sessions.

high volume works if you pyramid from best weights downwards- enabling higher rates of work to be done as your energy decreases.

muscle responds to work done per unit time..simple as that. you can do it over a short timeframe, or long.

the reason low volume seems to work better is that its easier to engage max effort for short periods. longer sessions usually include periods of not so maximum intensity.

one thing is for sure- you need to do a certain rep scheme and rest scheme for 6-8 weeks for full benefit. mixing rep counts and rests is counter productive.

and so son..

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2009, 06:21:53 AM »
60+ sets assures stimulation then need for caloric replenishment

CoolDuck

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2009, 07:10:53 AM »
high volume is usually what people call lazy training. they do a bunch of sets that basically sap their energy before they get to actual weights that may stimulate growth.

all you have to do is look at olympic athletes to see what does and doesnt work.

they never train sub maximal except for warmups, and dont engage in long, drawnout sessions.

Olympic athletes train for strenght, not volume. Muscle volume is closely related to strenght, but there are also other factors involved, such as the metabolic apparatus of the cell. Thus, it is probably best to trained in a varied fashion.

CD

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2009, 07:33:29 AM »
we got a guy on Getbig that believes it's impossible to build (our argument was chest) anybody part on High volume training.wanted to get other peoples take on this as this guy is also a mod that's delete happy with other peoples post's.so who's gotten a good build from high volume?And who's gotten one from walking into ma gym and doing under 10 sets?
I think you can get great results from low volume training - if you've done a period of high volume training prior to it.
I believe the reason that Mentzer saw so much gains in his clients were that most of them came to him from a period of high volume and would super compensate for those weeks when they were tutored by Mentzer.

It's very similar to how sports athletes taper for competitions.
Keep the intensity - cut the volume.     
As empty as paradise

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2009, 07:37:53 AM »
i had the best results when my obession for training stopped and became lazy.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2009, 08:51:40 AM »

high volume works if you pyramid from best weights downwards- enabling higher rates of work to be done as your energy decreases.

muscle responds to work done per unit time..simple as that. you can do it over a short timeframe, or long.

the reason low volume seems to work better is that its easier to engage max effort for short periods. longer sessions usually include periods of not so maximum intensity.

one thing is for sure- you need to do a certain rep scheme and rest scheme for 6-8 weeks for full benefit. mixing rep counts and rests is counter productive.

and so son..

boom...you hit the nail on the head

Bona

• Getbig II
  • Creating Websites For Singapore
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2009, 08:52:40 AM »

and so son..
awesome post pal, u're right to a large extent imo

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2009, 09:36:47 AM »
some people just get too cought up in oine school of thought and totaly discount one way over the other..

i trained my 1st few yrs high volume and gained well, i switched to low and went to a new level...

what u do realise when youve trained both ways is, there is no such thing as high intensity high volume training, and you wont realise this till youve totaly destroyed your self in a couple of sets with nothing left in the tank..

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2009, 10:22:21 AM »
Here are my thoughts on this subject. There are a lot of variables to consider. First of all there's been a lot of people who have gotten great results with high volume. People like Arnold, Nubret, Oliva, Defendis(who sometimes did 40-60 sets per bodypart). Of course they all used a decent amount of anabolic drugs as well. So drug use helps with recuperation, plus keeps a tremendous pump going and having your muscles volumized with blood for long periods of time can be very effective. This training though can eventually exhaust the nervous system and adrenals. Now in a natural trainer, that is much worse because the of the over secretion of cortisol which is very catabolic. For most natural trainers, lower volume is probably better (10-12 sets on most bodyparts). I don't think extremely low volume (5 to 7 sets) is good unless there is a lot of forced reps or drop sets. Other factors to consider are age. A guy in his 20's with higher natural levels of test can get away with more sets than a guy in his 40's. Older guys should do less sets.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2009, 04:57:39 PM »

I liked a lot of what you wrote, but I must pick at this:

1) It really depends on how you define volume. The Russian, Greek, Bulgarian, Cuban weightlifting programs were quite voluminous- They weren't high rep, but high set and varying intensity. A lot of these programs were split sessions also.

2) It depended on the age and training experience of the athlete. General training volume goes up as the athlete ages.

Also lots of work is still done in the 70-80% of 1rm range which I'd consider submaximal.

---------------------------

The Chinese probably have the best weightlifting program in that they don't get wrapped up in such things. They simply take what's useful.   

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2009, 08:13:55 PM »
i think you avoid more injuries with high volume, just look at ronnie vs dorian, dorian's career was rittled with injuries where as ronnie did higher volume and until recently was injury free

gymrat01

• Getbig II
  • Lift or Die!!!!
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2009, 09:16:25 AM »
few sets and very heavy weights are the best for growth, but what i meant to say was that a lot of sets and lighter is best for geting deffinition
J

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2009, 09:17:07 AM »
i think you avoid more injuries with high volume, just look at ronnie vs dorian, dorian's career was rittled with injuries where as ronnie did higher volume and until recently was injury free

Ronnie has had a ton of injuries before as well.
from incomplete data

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2009, 09:49:18 AM »
As you get older, and, you pretty much are what you are size-wise, it's best to cut back on the poundages and do more reps. I've found that the high rep training keeps the muscles from getting saggy. The problem with heavy training is that by the time you establish a good mind muscle link, you can't do any more reps, and, it's also murder on the joints.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2009, 10:09:33 AM »
Im going to try some high volume for a couple of weeks....

Just like i did when i sterted lifting and saw rapid gains.

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2009, 12:43:53 PM »
Ronnie has had a ton of injuries before as well.
no sir i disagree

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
no sir i disagree

Just watch his "The Unbelievable" from way back in 2000, he tells about a lot of injuries he's had. Damaged discs, shoulder surgery etc.
from incomplete data

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2009, 12:51:54 PM »
Just watch his "The Unbelievable" from way back in 2000, he tells about a lot of injuries he's had. Damaged discs, shoulder surgery etc.

nothing in comparison to big dorian with actual torn muscles needing surgery, big ron is an idiot, he wouldn't know a disc injury if it was covered in KC masterpiece.