Author Topic: Dow Crash Coming To Your 401K (2007 to 2022)  (Read 462198 times)

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
Re: Dow crash coming to your 401k..........
« Reply #225 on: January 16, 2008, 04:29:33 AM »
move your money out of stocks and into cd's, cash, money markets ect.

preservation of capital is key. if you do nothing, kiss your money goodbye.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #226 on: January 16, 2008, 04:32:58 AM »
"dumb money" has no idea how bad this market is. they tend to learn the hard way....as always.

;)

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #227 on: January 16, 2008, 04:37:13 AM »
70% of our nations GDP is consumer consumption. since our nation no longer manufactures, we are dependent on a STRONG consumer. a weak dollar INCREASES inflation which lessens Americans buying power. the weak greenback may increase exports but never enough to offset the weak u.s. consumer.

record u.s deficits, a weak dollar, negative consumer savings, high inflation, record gas/oil prices (in none peak season) coupled with Americans no longer able to use their homes as a.t.m. machines spells disaster for a service economy such as ours.

the perfect storm is brewing........

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #228 on: January 16, 2008, 04:37:45 AM »
Gold drops from $926 - $884 overnight, ...and is taking all the other markets with it.

This is negatively affecting the Canadian dollar which has lost almost a full cent to the US.
(OK, that part I like). I've got a big USD cheque to cash. My last USD cheque, I simply put it in the US dollar account figuring I'd wait until the USD rose a bit or the Cdn dollar fell a bit before converting it to Cdn currency.

Let's see what the fed does. Will they step in before Jan 30th to stabilize the market?
If they do, ...will that be the spark that sets off the powder keg? Enquiring Minds want to know.  :)
w

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #229 on: January 16, 2008, 04:40:23 AM »
Falling,,,, yes thats obvious this morning from the futures markets as I key....
But, WHen? How far?

What should they do?
Go flat? Buy Puts? Short the market? Get into a inverse short fund?
Buy Gold? Eat doughnuts? Hope & Pray? Call Dr Phil?

How will you know when its turned?  What oversold signals/indicators do you use, chicken entrails? 

Hey,,,, What about your PPT?   Shouldn't this powerfull bunch of Put buying Commandos stop it?  ;D

Got to go......... Pre Hrs NASDAQ Heatmap  and futures are exciting this morn for sure.... ;)
Good luck Neon......

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #230 on: January 16, 2008, 05:16:41 AM »
Gold drops from $926 - $884 overnight, ...and is taking all the other markets with it.

This is negatively affecting the Canadian dollar which has lost almost a full cent to the US.
(OK, that part I like). I've got a big USD cheque to cash. My last USD cheque, I simply put it in the US dollar account figuring I'd wait until the USD rose a bit or the Cdn dollar fell a bit before converting it to Cdn currency.

Let's see what the fed does. Will they step in before Jan 30th to stabilize the market?
If they do, ...will that be the spark that sets off the powder keg? Enquiring Minds want to know.  :)

THey (FED) would look stupid and desperate w/ a early cut, or it would have allready been done.
THey have enough probs w/ credibility.

It will likely start a small rally ( .5 cut) but nothing major will change in the forces at play.
A trend tends to continue....

I feel The US$ is now unjustly oversold, other currencies will react in time.
Currency reactions can be fast and brutal. Ive been right in the middle of one where 50% of its value was lost in weeks.

If I was rolling in Euros, I'd get out of some of them prior to the USA election for sure.

A false euphoria w/ a new (Dem esp) Pres will create some + market reaction IMO.

Jag -
           why not Buy some property in the USA now w/ them C$'s?
Yes, it may (will) get even cheaper, but NOBODY can precisely pick a bottom.

The Gold was overextended, but I feel it will still run up ($1000 base  ;)) as long as rates are steady or dropping.
Trading in Gold/silver is best left to pros in metals.
Buy it physically to wear or save w/ money that can be ignored for generations. It tends to blow-off in superspikes.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #231 on: January 16, 2008, 06:01:24 AM »
i bet most here are saying "what is a 401k neuro" ?

how stupid of me.......to post this topic.
lol, little did you know you created the second most replied to thread in political; the number 1 thread started in Gossip before being move here :)

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #232 on: January 16, 2008, 06:01:59 AM »
Here's some real Prof market analysis,,, a little dated, but still valid.
Sourse is www.optionstrategist.com

Those looking for other legit market anylisis sources can PM me.
Leave the Vodoo and cut and paste from news to others.

You cant trade news..... THere is NO news that is not too late to matter.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

THE OPTION STRATEGIST
WEEKLY UPDATER 01/11/08
by McMillan Analysis Corp.

Note: Please CLICK HERE to view this week's charts:
VISIT HERE to get the commentary plus recommendations.  

Stock Market

The nine trading days from December 27th through January 8th encompassed one of the swiftest, deepest corrections in history. 2008 is off to a worse start than any other year before. Technical indicators that were modestly bullish or neutral turned decidedly negative. The aftermath is that the market is wounded but oversold. We don't envision any lasting rallies until a serious amount of basebuilding is done, particularly in stocks. However, such a swift decline makes the market oversold, and thus sharp, but short-lived rallies can spring up at any time -- as was the case in the last day and a half.

Let's start with $SPX. It fell through all of its support levels 1450, 1430, and 1400 -- before finding an intraday bottom at the 1380 level yesterday. This sets up the potential of a triple bottom on $SPX, as both March and August declines stopped at roughly the same level, although it is by no means certain that the current decline is over. Meanwhile, there is now resistance on $SPX at the 1430 level.

Equity-only put-call ratios worsened dramatically during this decline and have started to rise again -- thereby canceling out their late- December buy signals and returning to sell signals (Figures 2 & 3). These won't give buy signals until they roll over and start to head downward again. Currently, that doesn't look likely.

Breadth has been negative, but is now oversold. The heavily oversold nature of all these breadth measures certainly augurs for at least a short-term rally.

Volatility indices ($VIX and $VXO) have been divergent as well. However, neither has really spiked up, thereby creating the type of exhaustion buy signal one would expect to see at the end of a sharp decline such as we've had in the past two weeks. Consequently, these are giving bearish readings as they are now in uptrends.

So, the $SPX chart, put-call ratios and volatility indices are negative, while breadth is leaning towards bullish.

Finally, in the course of preparing the Daily Volume Alerts newsletter daily, I look at a lot of stock charts. They are, in general, terrible. The damage done to most stocks will not be easily repaired. And the same can be said for the broad market indices as well.

So, even if these divergences are positive and we begin to eventually get some buy signals from the generally bearish indicators, this market will not just reverse and explode on the upside. It will take some base-building and retesting. We would turn bullish only after buy signals emerge and a base is built.

Note: Please CLICK HERE to view this week's charts:

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #233 on: January 16, 2008, 06:24:17 AM »
lol, little did you know you created the second most replied to thread in political; the number 1 thread started in Gossip before being move here :)

thanks, my objective was to take my market knowledge and hopefully help any Gbers invested in the stock market.

to this day, my call has been 100% dead-on.  ;)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #234 on: January 16, 2008, 06:59:22 AM »

thanks, my objective was to take my considerable market knowledge and hopefully help any Gbers invested in the stock market.

to this day, my call has been 100% dead-on.  ;)
I might want to pick your brain on some stuff.  I've never given a crap about the stock market but have recently decided I should do some learning and jump in.  I don't really care if I lose the money but I don't like to lose by nature.  I have an extra grand per month I can toss in and then in about 6 months I'll have about 4 to 6 grand extra per month I can toss in.  Right now I'm just reading my ass off trying to get some basic understanding of things.  How long have you been doing this?  What is your advice to a noob?  Any book recommendations?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #235 on: January 16, 2008, 08:18:49 AM »
I might want to pick your brain on some stuff.  I've never given a crap about the stock market but have recently decided I should do some learning and jump in.  I don't really care if I lose the money but I don't like to lose by nature.  I have an extra grand per month I can toss in and then in about 6 months I'll have about 4 to 6 grand extra per month I can toss in.  Right now I'm just reading my ass off trying to get some basic understanding of things.  How long have you been doing this?  What is your advice to a noob?  Any book recommendations?

Your doing the right thing, by reading your ass off. Start off with a basic book, that outlines the whole market in general of stocks. Main thing to remember is your competing against other people, try to learn about them and they, of the market to play it not against it, the market and the people that make up the market are the 'house'

Then get John J. Murphy "Visual Investor" $60  and "Technical Analysis" $85. Try to learn some basics on psychology of the stock market.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #236 on: January 16, 2008, 01:49:01 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAH    Poor lil CRAB......He fights so hard for attention.   He joins the thread by insulting NT and talking like we should listen to him over someone like NT whos already proven himself..... ;D

Trabby is just changing his story as the pages go along here...at first he was against all that was said but now hes saying "Duh, i knew that but what else you got"!!!

Trab, youre the little booger eater around here....COMEDY GOLD!!!

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #237 on: January 16, 2008, 02:12:48 PM »
ok guys here's the deal. the market is currently oversold on a short term basis and nearing a technical support area. any "decent" news will cause this market to move higher. i expect that soon.  ;)

my long term outlook is still lower.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #238 on: January 16, 2008, 02:23:35 PM »
ok guys here's the deal. the market is currently oversold on a short term basis and nearing a technical support area. any "decent" news will cause this market to move higher. i expect that soon.  ;)

my long term outlook is still lower.

COOL.  Another bandaid for a Gaping Hemmorage... ;D

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #239 on: January 16, 2008, 03:46:25 PM »
  I've never given a crap about the stock market but have recently decided I should do some learning and jump in.  I don't really care if I lose the money but I don't like to lose by nature.  I have an extra grand per month I can toss in...........

This is not a good way to think about it. Perhaps the absolute worst thing that could happen is you get lucky and quickly make a large win or two.......... I'm not joking.
To his credit mr Nemo's comment in another thread about someone "Dabbling" in the market was along the lines of them enjoying gettin' their face ripped off.
He's absolutely correct there.

But, The little guy  has advantages  the large traders holding giant postions that can not be instantly liquidated (Or even take days to bail out of) dont.

Here's a couple gems -
1.You  are not trading stocks as much as - you are trading people....
2. Not trading is often more important than trading.
3.Price and volume are your primary focus. Dont get caught up in several complex indicators.
 Ya just end up w/ a mind numbing screen full of spaghetti. 
Most books on trading/market are just plain BAD. But there are some good sources.

Good Luck, and remember in the coming weeks - That cheap Stocks can allways get cheaper (Homes too  ;))
We'll see if Hellicopter Bennie can hold his breath till the 30th......... It must suck to be him right now.

Anyway just curious how many PPL think that the numbers here are cooked as could be other related stats.
 http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/consumer-prices-rise-03-december/story.aspx?guid=%7B9CCA8A4F%2D8017%2D448D%2DA8BB%2D2BF56DF8D2BB%7D

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #240 on: January 17, 2008, 01:42:15 PM »
Jan. 17 (Bloomberg) -- Growing conviction that the U.S. is in a recession sent stocks plunging in their worst three-day decline since 2002.

The S&P 500 lost 39.94, or 2.9 percent, to 1,333.26 and is down 9.2 percent this year. The Dow Jones Industrial Average decreased 306.95, or 2.5 percent, to 12,159.21. The Nasdaq Composite Index slid 47.69, or 2 percent, to 2,346.9. More than seven stocks fell for every one that rose on the NYSE.

``The problems seem to be intensifying,'' said John Carey, who helps oversee about $13 billion at Pioneer Investment Management in Boston.

Approaching 'Bear' Market

Benchmark indexes are approaching so-called bear markets, or declines of at least 20 percent from highs. The S&P 500 and Dow average have both lost more than 14 percent from their Oct. 9 records, while the Nasdaq composite has tumbled 18 percent from an almost seven-year high on Oct. 31.

Manufacturing in the Philadelphia region contracted more than forecast in January, adding to evidence factories are cutting production as the economy slows. Builders broke ground on the fewest houses since 1991 in December, making last year's decline in homebuilding the worst in almost three decades.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2008, 05:01:59 PM »
S&P slumps 3%, Dow sheds 2.5% and Nasdaq's off 2% in bloodletting

U.S. stocks have their worst day in 2008, with the Dow industrials hitting 10-month lows, after Federal Reserve
Chairman Ben Bernanke warns that an economic slowdown is taking hold, with weak data out to back it up.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #242 on: January 18, 2008, 01:29:23 AM »
Jan. 18 (Bloomberg) -- The Bush administration is close to completing an economic-stimulus proposal that economists say may have a modest effect on boosting the economy and averting a recession.

-----

this will have zero effect on the U.S. recession. the Gov. wants to give the public a few hundred bucks hoping they go to Home Depot and spend it.

too little...........too late.

NT

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #243 on: January 18, 2008, 01:44:32 AM »
Jan. 18 (Bloomberg) -- The Bush administration is close to completing an economic-stimulus proposal that economists say may have a modest effect on boosting the economy and averting a recession.

this will have zero effect on the U.S. recession. the Gov. wants to give the public a few hundred bucks hoping they go to Home Depot and spend it.

too little...........too late.  :-\

``It's getting money to people who are likely to spend it,'' Leonard Burman, director of the Washington-based Tax Policy Center, said of the Bush plan. ``It might do a little good for the economy.''

handing out more borrowed money (from china) will only fuel inflation. couple that with another interest rate cut coming from the Fed. and inflationary pressures will soar.

in all my years working the market, i've never seen a scenario quite like the one were in right now. we are setting ourselves up for stagflation (high inflation coupled with a recession)

guys, please be very careful.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #244 on: January 18, 2008, 02:40:10 AM »

This is not a good way to think about it. Perhaps the absolute worst thing that could happen is you get lucky and quickly make a large win or two.......... I'm not joking.
To his credit mr Nemo's comment in another thread about someone "Dabbling" in the market was along the lines of them enjoying gettin' their face ripped off.
He's absolutely correct there.

But, The little guy  has advantages  the large traders holding giant postions that can not be instantly liquidated (Or even take days to bail out of) dont.

Here's a couple gems -
1.You  are not trading stocks as much as - you are trading people....
2. Not trading is often more important than trading.
3.Price and volume are your primary focus. Dont get caught up in several complex indicators.
 Ya just end up w/ a mind numbing screen full of spaghetti. 
Most books on trading/market are just plain BAD. But there are some good sources.

Good Luck, and remember in the coming weeks - That cheap Stocks can allways get cheaper (Homes too  ;))
We'll see if Hellicopter Bennie can hold his breath till the 30th......... It must suck to be him right now.

Anyway just curious how many PPL think that the numbers here are cooked as could be other related stats.
 http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/consumer-prices-rise-03-december/story.aspx?guid=%7B9CCA8A4F%2D8017%2D448D%2DA8BB%2D2BF56DF8D2BB%7D
Actually I don't have anyway of thinking about it right now because I don't know jack which is why I want to learn as much as I can at this stage.  I only mean to say I'm not going to be bent out of shape if I screw up, but I'm not one of the dabbling types.  I usually spend a lot of time on the things that interest me.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #245 on: January 18, 2008, 02:48:14 AM »
A long-time bull throws in the towel

Dan Sullivan's model stock portfolio is now 100% in cash

Jan. 17, 2008
ANNANDALE, Va. (MarketWatch) -- Stock market bulls lost an important ally on Wednesday: Dan Sullivan is now convinced that we are in a major bear market.

Sullivan is editor of two newsletters, The Chartist and The Chartist Mutual Fund Letter. Sullivan has been publishing the first of these since the late 1960s, nearly 40 years ago. Very few others have been continuously editing an advisory newsletter for any where close to that long a period.

Sullivan, therefore, has seen lots of different kinds of market environments, which is why we should place more than the usual weight on what his intuition tells him. And right now, as he said in an interview Thursday afternoon, his "gut feeling" is that we're in a bear market that we will need to let "run its course."

That's Sullivan's way of saying that the decline he now expects is not likely to be a small one, either in terms of duration or magnitude of losses.
As recently as the publication date of the last issue of Sullivan's newsletter, which was in early January, he was still bullish on the stock market.

guys, where was this experts "gut feelings" in Nov.? 40 yrs experience my ass !  it's easy to call bad news now. i called it when the markets were at all time highs. no one was willing to do that.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #246 on: January 18, 2008, 05:28:30 AM »

The only thing throwing money out the helicopter is going to do at theis point is - Cheapen the money.

Don't know about anyone else, but I seen prices going up more than their little reports imply.
Think they are cooked a little?

I think this is going to be quite bad, and a lot of PPL that are used to living way beyond their means are going to learn the very hard way. Ive been seeing forclosures for some luxury homes/lots in my area now for awhile.
I really think that it has a long way to run in housing still. LMAO at the jokers that were calling a bottom in it months ago.

I hope and dont think the DOW bases long at 10K, but nobody knows..... Nobody.
That great (Long side) "Buying opportunity" could be after years of wide range fluctuations in the 10-12 range.
Traders that thrive on volatility will not care, in fact - They like that.

The only real interpertation is from what is show in PPL's behavior in buying/selling in the charts patterns of volume and price behavior. Everything else is conjecture.

Also remember, there are allways stocks that run counter to the market daily in both directions.
But generally dont fight the trend for long....

The level of ignorance level is astounding in the subject; Just the way the guys with big money and power like it. But, you could spoon feed the masses and give them all a Hefty sack of Benjimens and endgame it'd all be the same....

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #247 on: January 18, 2008, 06:11:13 AM »
I just invested my first 2000.00 in the market!!!!!!

On investopedia :D

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #248 on: January 18, 2008, 06:53:06 AM »
guys, where was this experts "gut feelings" in Nov.? 40 yrs experience my ass !  it's easy to call bad news now. i called it when the markets were at all time highs. no one was willing to do that.

Yeah, you know how it works. They need to feed the machine, and investor sentiment needs to remain high to unload. Hell I went to eat Chinese food last night and they had on that crap show Fast Money, and they were still talking about BUYS, and HOLDS, and staying with their picks... :o the lady across from me was taking the advice.  :-X

Anyways like Neuro said long ago, Bear Market. Investor sentiment has now been impacted, since 1 month ago Fortun 500 ran some cover stories of a possible recession, and now more News Stations follow the latest news up.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #249 on: January 18, 2008, 07:08:21 AM »
  I don't know anything about the stock market..so my 401k is one of those based on your retirement year....it is adjusted for lower risk as you get older. I never even look at my account because I don't know what I'm looking at...lol   :-[ 

Anyway after reading this thread I started looking . I am in my early 30's and have only been in the plan a  few years so I don't have a fortune in there  obviously...but what I do have is going down every time I look at it.I suppose that's normal and it ill rise and fall over the years..at least that's what they tell me.