Author Topic: Dow Crash Coming To Your 401K (2007 to 2022)  (Read 462198 times)

trab

• Getbig V
Re: Dow crash coming to your 401k..........
« Reply #250 on: January 18, 2008, 11:01:29 AM »
  I don't know anything about the stock market..so my 401k is one of those based on your retirement year....it is adjusted for lower risk as you get older. I never even look at my account because I don't know what I'm looking at...lol   :-[ 

Anyway after reading this thread I started looking . I am in my early 30's and have only been in the plan a  few years so I don't have a fortune in there  obviously...but what I do have is going down every time I look at it.I suppose that's normal and it ill rise and fall over the years..at least that's what they tell me.

THe whole point Neuro is trying to make is that its possible to read the market and pull out for the drops.
It is true, but the average person will do the exact opposite in the attempt. THey will sell at the bottom in utter fear and disgust and buy at the top during the heady euphoria stage when everyone and their cousins is talkin' stock market, or Gold or what ever the current get rich quick instrument is.

Schwagers (sp?) one market wizards book has a investor profiled that trades mainly mutual funds and his methods...
I forget his name. Jacks books are all good, I'd recommend at least a casual stroll thru all of them.

I'm afraid that reacting right now and sellin may not be the best move.
Learn to read candlestick charts. Watch them develop in real-time and reverse and you'll start to get the picture after a time.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #251 on: January 18, 2008, 02:19:34 PM »

Anyway after reading this thread I started looking . I am in my early 30's and have only been in the plan a  few years so I don't have a fortune in there  obviously...but what I do have is going down every time I look at it.I suppose that's normal and it ill rise and fall over the years..at least that's what they tell me.

todays "program trading" can erase a years worth of gains...... in days. ( as we just saw )  

think of all the people who invested in tech stocks during the euphoria in 2000. 8 yrs later still 60% down from the high.

remember, this is not your mom and dad's stock market. you must be informed.... because your stockbroker is not

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #252 on: January 18, 2008, 02:27:15 PM »
THE OPTION STRATEGIST
WEEKLY UPDATER 01/18/08
by McMillan Analysis Corp.

Note: Please CLICK HERE to view this week's charts:  www.optionstrategist.com
VISIT HERE to get the commentary plus recommendations. 

Stock Market

Even for those of us who have been bearish, the nastiness of this bear is a little startling. I used to think Arthur Burns was the most bearish Fed Chairman ever (every time he spoke in 1973-1974, the market went down), but Ben Bernanke has nearly ascended that dubious throne.

A week ago, $SPX bounced off an intraday low at 1380 and actually rallies 50 points (does anyone even remember?), but this week that level was tested again -- and broken, as $SPX traded down to 1365 on Wednesday. This was an important level, because it was roughly equal to the March and August lows. Bulls were hoping that a triple bottom could form on the chart. However, as we noted in our Daily Volume Alerts report: "Given the fact that this market is technically damaged, and that many other indices (such as the Russell 2000) have already exceeded previous lows, we would not bank on the fact that 1365 will provide any sort of permanent support." It didn't provide support -- not even for a day -- as $SPX plunged through that support, trading all the way down to 1330 today. This breakdown in $SPX matches many, many stock charts that we have seen over the past few weeks. As I've been saying, this is the worst group of stock charts that I can ever remember seeing. And now $SPX belongs in that group as well. When a chart shows this type of breakdown below multiple support levels (1365), it can generally be sold on rallies back towards that level, which now represents resistance.

Equity-only put-call ratios have blasted to the upside this week, as massive put buying is finally taking place. They are reaching the higher regions of their respective charts, meaning they are "oversold." However, they will not give buy signals until they roll over and begin to head downward. That doesn't seem likely to happen quickly.

Market breadth (advances minus declines) gave a sell signal on December 27th and hasn't given a buy signal yet. It is also extremely oversold, which means that a sharp, but short-lived rally is possible at any time. However, a true buy signal would take several days of positive breadth to construct.

The last technical indicator that we routinely follow is volatility. $VIX had only been edging upward, even though the market was taking a beating. That was true even up through Tuesday of this week. $VIX usually makes a spike peak when the market collapses, but that wasn't happening. Yes, the market was collapsing, but $VIX was only in a slow uptrend. Some attributed the lack of upward movement in $VIX to hedging strategies, but in reality it was most likely due to the fact that people were still complacently bullish. However, in the last two days, things have changed greatly. $VIX finally exploded, with today's breakdown below that triple support level. $VIX exploded four points to the upside (to 28) and $VXO five points (to 32).

In summary, the overall trend is bearish. This is at least as nasty a market as July 2002 was, and even though a bottom was eventually recorded that month, its was retested in October 2002, and again in March, 2003. The point is that, with this much damage having been done, this market is not going to just reverse and start a new bull phase. Yes, there could be a powerful oversold rally, but it won't last.

Note: Please CLICK HERE to view this week's charts:
VISIT HERE to get the commentary plus recommendations.

Hit Larry's website for charts for a visual understanding of what just happend to all your money...
And, the next levels down....

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #253 on: January 18, 2008, 02:57:46 PM »
currently the S&P 500 (the real market) is sitting near the April-May 06 level. we gave up almost 2 yrs in gains since the peak.

no one should ever give up their gains to Wall Street.

education is the key.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #254 on: January 18, 2008, 06:33:40 PM »
This is funny as hell, how all of a sudden Bush is on top of the recession and going to solve middle east peace!!! ;D ;D

These idiots dont realize most americans would hold their money now if they got a tax credit or something....at most theyd make a couple credit card payments.  So NT is right....my first thought when they said theyd try to give 3-800 dollars to americans was..WHERE THE HELL DID THIS MONEY COME FROM!!!   Yes borrrowed once again to raise inflation >:(

Dumbasses cant see the forest cuz the trees in the way.

My biggest worry is i dont see a way out of this for even the next administration to cope...We got a funk coming and probably a mutiny someday regarding the seperation of the rich and poor.

The only way to free up consumer money is to make housing affordable  (Meaning huge price correction)  Make healthcare available  (80% of all bancruptcys are medical related)
And lower the goddamn fuel prices!!! >:(

The other way to get us out is to increase the middleincome level to 100k period..............And that aint gonna happen, so the first one is more realistic.

BTW, Trab......good to see you in the ballgame. ;)

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #255 on: January 21, 2008, 08:44:31 AM »
Veeery bad day in Europe.

All gains made throughout the past year gone in less than 3 hours.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2008, 09:50:52 AM »
Stocks Plummet in Germany, Hong Kong and India in Global Rout

By Sarah Thompson

Jan. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Stocks from Germany, Hong Kong and India to Brazil tumbled, and U.S. futures posted their steepest drop since 2001 on mounting speculation the world economy is slowing and company defaults will rise.

``It's the worst I've ever seen,'' said Johan Stein, who helps manage the equivalent of about $14 billion at Nordea Asset Management in Stockholm. ``The financial system is in terrible shape, and no one knows where this will end.''

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #257 on: January 21, 2008, 09:53:55 AM »
``This is a stock-market crisis,'' said Alberto Roldan, head of research at Inverseguros SVB in Madrid. ``Investors believe that neither a government package nor a huge rate cut is going to help evade a recession in the U.S.''

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #258 on: January 21, 2008, 09:54:39 AM »
``This is a stock-market crisis,'' said Alberto Roldan, head of research at Inverseguros SVB in Madrid. ``Investors believe that neither a government package nor a huge rate cut is going to help evade a recession in the U.S.''

Old news doggy

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #259 on: January 21, 2008, 10:00:34 AM »

i had no idea benz.  ::)

Im not saying you didnt knew, i was told the same by some citi guys back in september 2007. Would you buy anything right now? Someone very very close to me is buying a sh1tload these days

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #260 on: January 21, 2008, 10:03:21 AM »

Yeah, that's the same company that told me that Endesa and Telefonica were goint to be over 100 Euros in less than 2 years.

I give LITTLE credibility to Interseguros SVB.

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #261 on: January 21, 2008, 10:06:14 AM »
if you plan on adding to this thread benz.......you need bring more than that.

Why are you melting? Im not hating on you.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #262 on: January 21, 2008, 10:06:47 AM »
blood spills on "the street" tomorrow.

Care to elaborate? How many points do you predict it's going down?

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #263 on: January 21, 2008, 10:09:33 AM »
Care to elaborate? How many points do you predict it's going down?

US Dow futures are down 450 for tomorrow's open.

global market selloff today.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #264 on: January 21, 2008, 10:11:13 AM »
US Dow futures are down 450 for tomorrow's open.

global market selloff today.

Which means? 600-700 points (I bet my father that it'd go down that much).

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #265 on: January 21, 2008, 10:16:49 AM »
Which means? 600-700 points (I bet my father that it'd go down that much).

it's difficult to say how low we go on tuesday. my prediction has been Dow 10,000 for some time now.

but yes, the US stock futures are down 450 points as i type this.

no real surprise.

NT

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #266 on: January 21, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »

in all my years working the market, i've never seen a scenario quite like the one were in right now. we are setting ourselves up for stagflation (high inflation coupled with a recession)

guys, please be very careful.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #267 on: January 21, 2008, 10:22:38 AM »

record u.s deficits, a weak dollar, negative consumer savings, high inflation, record gas/oil prices (in none peak season) coupled with Americans no longer able to use their homes as a.t.m. machines spells disaster for a service economy such as ours.

the perfect storm is brewing........  

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #268 on: January 21, 2008, 10:27:52 AM »
LONDON (MarketWatch) -- If futures contracts traded on a day when U.S. stocks weren't even due to open are anything near accurate, then markets will be in for a major decline on Tuesday, with concerns about bond insurers and the health of financial institutions dragging markets lower.
Dow Jones Industrial Average traded 522 points lower to 11,584 as of 11:30 a.m. Eastern.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #269 on: January 21, 2008, 10:30:44 AM »
PARIS — Global stock markets plunged on Monday as fears spread that the turmoil in United States mortgage markets is spreading. Indexes in Europe fell as much as 7 percent after a huge sell-off in Asia.

“There’s something approaching panic in the market,” Holger Schmieding, the chief European economist at Bank of America in London, said by telephone.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #270 on: January 21, 2008, 10:34:30 AM »
ok guys here's the deal, the market hit a key "support level' late in the day and buyers moved in and the market bounced.  (see above)

earning will decide where we take this market going forward. over the short term i expect a move to the upside before we go lower again. the DOW 12,000 area is my next target..... on the downside.

i would not be surprized to see us near DOW 10,000 by the end of the year. i could be wrong, but my experience says otherwise.

when the market is ready to buy (long term), i'll be happy to point out when a safe entry point is approaching. now is not that time.

no advise........just opinion.

NT

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #271 on: January 21, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
With U.S. markets closed for the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, it will be another day to see how the bad news sweeping westward will affect Wall Street. But today, in Canada, the news was not good. The Toronto stock market was down more than 600 points.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #272 on: January 21, 2008, 10:56:10 AM »
LONDON (MarketWatch) -- Shares in London tumbled Monday in their worst session since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001 as a sharp downturn in mining and banking shares pointed to growing investor fears about a slowdown in global economic growth and a U.S. recession.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #273 on: January 21, 2008, 11:09:27 AM »

Nerotoxin, I would like your opinion on some of comments mentioned in this video and do you think the war is a major drag/minor darg and no drag at all on the American economy?

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #274 on: January 21, 2008, 11:18:10 AM »
Fear routs world stocks; French, German indexes fall 7%
By Jeffrey Stinson, USA TODAY

LONDON — Stock markets across Europe and Asia plunged Monday on fears that President Bush's emergency economic stimulus plan won't ward off recession in the USA.
At one point during the day, stock indexes in London, Germany and France faced their biggest drops since the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks on the World Trade Center in New York.

Monday's sell-off, which started in Asia and spread to Europe, followed the worst week for U.S. stock markets in five years, as investors registered their forecast for the world's biggest economy.

U.S. financial markets were closed Monday for the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, but U.S. stock index futures were down sharply, suggesting investors don't have much hope of Wall Street leading a rebound when it returns to business Tuesday.

"I think people were underwhelmed by the (U.S. stimulus) package," said Tim Bond, head of asset allocations globally for Barclays Capital in London.