Author Topic: Dow Crash Coming To Your 401K (2007 to 2022)  (Read 462159 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Dow crash coming to your 401k..........
« Reply #1225 on: July 30, 2008, 08:23:23 PM »
I thought about this thread today when I checked my 401k and realized it was still increasing.........I'm holding on for the crash though.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1226 on: July 31, 2008, 04:28:06 AM »

Neurotoxin knows what he's talking about. Under control for most but more should've listen.

Including me.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1227 on: July 31, 2008, 02:43:20 PM »
July 31, 2008 (MarketWatch) -- U.S. stocks closed sharply lower on Thursday, leaving the market with a mixed performance for July, as economic concerns resurfaced following weaker-than-expected growth numbers and a big jump in jobless claims.

"The data were a little disturbing, especially jobless claims that near critical level," said Paul Mendelsohn, chief investment strategist at Windham Financial Services. "The GDP also came up short of expectations, and the general feeling is that now the [tax] stimulus is gone, what comes next?"

The Dow Jones fell, -205.67, -1.8%) to end at 11,378 on Thursday. Out of the Dow's 30 components, 25 retreated.

NT

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1228 on: July 31, 2008, 03:19:17 PM »
Has TP opened the necessary 40 accounts to become a senior broker?

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #1229 on: July 31, 2008, 04:00:25 PM »
Terminalpussy?????...Wow, you really are taking my tongue lashing pretty hard. 

I won't engage in your sophomoric name calling.  I accept your name calling as a indication that you have little else to offer us Getbiggers'.

Here is my report for today I hope you enjoy and somehow find happiness in all the opportunities this country/economy offer you.  You will find this article more fair than anything NT puts out.  Again Enjoy!

AP
Rebates helped economy -- some -- in second quarter

Thursday July 31, 4:45 pm ET

By Jeannine Aversa, AP Economics Writer 

Rebate checks give economy a smaller-than-expected lift; new figures say it shrank late in '07

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The prospects for a quick economic recovery dimmed Thursday, with new data showing the economy grew at a slower-than-expected rate this spring despite some oomph from tax rebate checks -- and actually shrank late last year.

Democrats called for a second economic stimulus package, while the Bush administration said the growth was proof the checks helped.

Armed with government stimulus checks of up to $600 per person, Americans boosted spending on food, clothing and other items in the second quarter, the Commerce Department reported.

But the gross domestic product still increased at a 1.9 percent annual rate, up from 0.9 percent in the first quarter but less than the 2.4 percent economists were looking for.

Government revisions showed the economy actually shrank at the end of last year at a 0.2 percent annual rate. It was the first quarterly dip for the GDP since the 2001 recession.

Meanwhile, the Labor Department said the number of newly laid-off people rose to 448,000 last week, the most in five years. More job cuts are expected in coming months, and Americans may cut back on spending, kindling recession fears.

Wall Street didn't like what it saw. Following two days of gains, the Dow Jones industrials fell 205.67 points to 11378.02.

President Bush acknowledged the economic news was "not as good as we'd like it to be." His commerce secretary, Carlos Gutierrez, said the growth showed the stimulus package was providing some relief.

"Some said the rebates would not have an impact. Well, they were wrong," Gutierrez told The Associated Press. "The stimulus checks are having an impact in spite of the energy prices."

On the campaign trail, the economic policy director for Democratic Sen. Barack Obama said nothing in the new numbers was "positive for families" and said Obama supported a second stimulus package.

Republican Sen. John McCain said the report was disappointing but added that trade "provides one of the few bright spots in an otherwise gloomy economic picture."

Sales of U.S. exports grew at a 9.2 percent pace in the second quarter, up from 5.1 percent in the first quarter. The weak dollar has made U.S. goods cheaper to foreign buyers.

Consumer spending for the second quarter rose at a 1.5 percent rate, better than the first quarter and the best showing since the third quarter of last year, when the economy was still chugging along despite the housing slump.

Slower growth or no, many Americans were grateful for the help as the checks rolled in.

"It was much needed," said Les Jewell, a 32-year-old technology teacher in St. Louis who has a 7-month-old son. "It was very useful, especially when you look at areas like getting formula."

Economists have mixed views on what's to come. A lot hinges on the whims of people who put their rebate checks in the bank: Will they spend them, boosting growth, or keep them stashed away?

There was some evidence Americans saved at least some of the cash. The savings rate rose to 2.6 percent of disposable income, a six-year high.

A growing number of analysts fear that the economy will slip into reverse again at the end of this year, as any effects of the tax rebates disappear. And there are concerns exports could tail off as other countries' economies slow down.

A new poll by the nonpartisan poll by the Pew Research Center released Thursday showed about three in four Americans think the economy is in a recession -- at best -- already. Two in three say their income isn't keeping up with the cost of living.

The GDP report also reflected the continuing fallout in housing. Builders cut back at an annual rate of about 15 percent for the quarter -- although that was a better showing than early this year and late last year.

Businesses trimmed spending on equipment and software and reduced investment in inventories.

An inflation gauge tied to the GDP report showed all prices galloping ahead at a rate of 4.2 percent in the second quarter, the fastest pace since the end of last year.

Taking out energy and food, prices rose 2.1 percent, still outside the Federal Reserve's comfort zone. The Fed meets next week and is expected to hold interest rates steady.

As a general rule, the economy is in recession when it shows two consecutive quarters of contraction.

That didn't happen in the last recession -- in 2001. That was declared a recession by another reading, by a panel of academics at the National Bureau of Economic Research, that usually comes well after the fact.

AP Business Writer Christopher Leonard contributed to this report from St. Louis.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080731/economy.html?.v=19

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #1230 on: July 31, 2008, 04:03:46 PM »
Has TP opened the necessary 40 accounts to become a senior broker?

40? 

Hell I am fortunate enough to be able to open and handle my own. 

39 more is too many for me!

Senior Broker status can be had by others.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1231 on: July 31, 2008, 04:28:38 PM »

July 31, 2008 (MarketWatch) -- U.S. stocks closed sharply lower on Thursday, leaving the market with a mixed performance for July, as economic concerns resurfaced following weaker-than-expected growth numbers and a big jump in jobless claims.

"The data were a little disturbing, especially jobless claims that near critical level," said Paul Mendelsohn, chief investment strategist at Windham Financial Services. "The GDP also came up short of expectations, and the general feeling is that now the [tax] stimulus is gone, what comes next?"

The Dow Jones fell, -205.67, -1.8%) to end at 11,378 on Thursday. Out of the Dow's 30 components, 25 retreated.

NT

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #1232 on: July 31, 2008, 05:19:38 PM »

listen douchebag, every thread you participate in on GB you pull the same shit and EVERYONE knows you're an ASSHOLE. no surprise.

why not start your own oil and commodities thread with your ass licking, moronic friend alex23 ?

if not, go away. no one's interested in the OVERSOLD mutual funds you're pimping.

NT

Such hostility, you sound like a tried and true "digital warrior". 

Why are you afraid of what I have to say?  This is an open forum and everyone is free to post their ideas and thoughts, not just you.  Your immature name calling clearly classifies you as someone incapable of accepting factual based opinion's other than the one you assume. 

To better understand the market, you must learn to seperate your emotion from your opinion to ensure it doesn't influence your posts.  Work on it NT!

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #1233 on: July 31, 2008, 05:39:30 PM »
More positive news and some sobering news on the economy that you won't hear from Nuerotoxin!!![/size]

By Glenn Somerville

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An emergency dose of government stimulus helped the economy grow at a 1.9 percent annual rate in the second quarter, a soft pace but enough to take it off a path perilously close to recession.

Revised data from the Commerce Department released with the second-quarter figures on Thursday showed national output shrank in the final quarter of 2007 before barely edging up at the start of this year.

"With the boost from tax rebates now fading, lower interest rates having little positive impact and signs emerging that overseas demand is weakening, we expect the economy to contract outright in the second half of this year," said Paul Ashworth, senior U.S. economist for Capital Economics of London.

As the countdown to the November 4 presidential elections continues, Bush administration officials insisted the economy could keep growing and dismissed calls from prominent Democrats on Capitol Hill for a second economic stimulus program, saying it was not warranted by recent economic reports.

"I think the politicians are much more concerned about the polls than the economic data," White House budget chief Jim Nussle said during a CNBC television interview. President George W. Bush told a coal producers meeting he considered the economy on a sound footing.

"Exports are on the rise. Durable goods orders are strong. That suggests that businesses are anticipating a better second half of the year," Bush said.

The second-quarter advance in gross domestic product followed a slim revised growth rate of 0.9 percent rate in the first quarter, previously reported as 1 percent.

That followed a 0.2 percent contraction in GDP during the final quarter of last year and skirted the popular definition of recession, which is back-to-back quarters of declining output, but it provided no comfort to financial markets.

Stocks fell and Treasury debt prices gained as investors sought safer haven. The dollar held steady against other major currencies.

Adding to a sense of foreboding about the economy, new claims for jobless benefits unexpectedly jumped 44,000 last week. Though Labor Department officials said special factors were at play, the jump in claims just before Friday's unemployment report for July reinforced worry about a deeper downturn if consumers retrench on spending for fear of losing their jobs.

Payrolls have declined for six straight months, and analysts expect a drop of 75,000 to be reported for non-farm payrolls in July.

Economists surveyed by Reuters had expected GDP to advance by a slightly more robust 2 percent in the second quarter.

The Commerce Department said businesses reduced inventories at the sharpest rate since the end of 2001, a possible sign they anticipate restrained growth ahead.

A key reading on core inflation -- personal consumption expenditures excluding food and energy -- rose at a 2.1 percent annual rate in the second quarter after gaining 2.3 percent in the first quarter. The moderation in core prices came despite a jump in overall prices of 4.2 percent from 3.6 percent in the first quarter.

Consumer spending, which fuels two-thirds of U.S. economic activity, grew at a 1.5 percent annual rate in the second quarter, up from 0.9 percent in the first quarter and 1 percent in the fourth quarter last year. The department noted that personal incomes had risen more sharply in the second quarter and attributed it primarily to the stimulus payments the government was issuing to qualifying consumers.

The economy continues to be hobbled by a severe downturn in the housing sector but the drag from it was less severe in the second quarter. Spending on home building contracted at a 15.6 percent annual rate in the second quarter, down from rates of 25.1 percent in the first quarter and 27 percent in last year's fourth quarter.

The department also issued benchmark revisions for the three-year period 2005-2007, which showed growth was weaker in each year than previously thought. GDP grew 2 percent in 2007 instead of 2.2 percent, 2.8 percent instead of 2.9 percent in 2006 and 2.9 percent rather than 3.1 percent in 2005.

The fourth quarter of 2007 was the weakest three months since the third quarter of 2001 amid the last official recession when GDP shrank at a 1.4 percent rate.

Businesses kept reducing inventories in the second quarter, possibly a sign that they are bracing for a prolonged period of lackluster growth. Stocks of unsold goods declined at a $62.2 billion rate -- the sharpest since an $86.7-billion rate in the fourth quarter of 2001 -- after decreases of $10.2 billion in the first quarter and $8.1 billion in the fourth quarter.

(Additional reporting by Alister Bull, Editing by Neil Stempleman)

http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSN3043337220080731?feedType=RSS&feedName=businessNews&rpc=23&sp=true

chafed_nut_sack420

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1234 on: July 31, 2008, 05:48:41 PM »
Long term the economy is gonna sink down, down, down. It's inevitable.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #1235 on: July 31, 2008, 05:55:24 PM »
Long term the economy is gonna sink down, down, down. It's inevitable.

LOL.  Yes long term economy (in the USA) has been on continual down turn....not.

Alex23

« Reply #1236 on: July 31, 2008, 09:04:25 PM »
LOL.  Yes long term economy (in the USA) has been on continual down turn....not.

Power brother, do not infuriate the NT gay watcher, he will simply get more of our posts deleted.

the grown up equivalent of "I'm telling" ::)

..on a bodymuscle message board.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #1237 on: July 31, 2008, 09:22:21 PM »
Power brother, do not infuriate the NT gay watcher, he will simply get more of our posts deleted.

the grown up equivalent of "I'm telling" ::)

..on a bodymuscle message board.

Roger that Brother Alex! 

I will knock off the the infuriation I rain down upon NT.  I appreciate the heads up and regret any deletions of posts as a result of my actions.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1238 on: August 01, 2008, 03:18:33 AM »
guys, as i mentioned recently, the SEC placed an unprecedented temporary ban on the short selling of banks and financials. since financials and banks lead the market higher, this ban gives help/support to the overall market. the ban was designed by the PPT to stop the market from free falling below the psychological Dow 10,000 level.

the PPT's short selling ban ends on Aug. 12th. this gives the market some "breathing room" to move higher.... at least until then.

also, IMO stay away from oil and commodities, as the big guys are beginning to exit these sectors. if you buy now as some have suggested, plan on losing your money.

currently this market is for experienced traders only. long term investors will have a great opportunity in the coming months......just be patient.

NT

Short-Selling Ban Extended Through August 12

July 30, 2008 
Federal regulators on Tuesday extended through mid-August a temporary order banning a certain kind of short-selling of the stocks of mortgage finance companies Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and 17 large investment banks.

The Securities and Exchange Commission said the ban on short selling will be in effect until 11:59 p.m. EDT on Aug. 12 and will not be extended.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1239 on: August 01, 2008, 03:35:03 AM »

Neurotoxin knows what he's talking about. Under control for most but more should've listen.

Including me.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1240 on: August 01, 2008, 05:57:22 AM »
guys, as you can see the US economy continues to shed jobs (51,000) and unemployment rose from 5.5% to 5.7%.

not exactly stellar numbers.

NT

Unemployment Rate Hits 5.7% As Companies Shed 51,000 Jobs

Wall Street Journal Aug 1 2008
WASHINGTON -- The U.S. unemployment rate jumped to a four-year high in July as companies shed workers for a seventh-straight month, further evidence that the economy remains vulnerable to a recession in the second half of the year.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1241 on: August 01, 2008, 07:17:34 AM »
guys, the actual jobs lost number was closer to 100,000 but by using the birth-death ratio/adjustment, the PPT was able to create additional phantom jobs.

i will ALWAYS tell you guys the truth about how Wall Street works. i have NO ulterior motive, other than to help you from losing your money.

NT

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1242 on: August 01, 2008, 08:16:24 AM »
guys, the actual jobs lost number was closer to 100,000 but by using the birth-death ratio/adjustment, the PPT was able to create additional phantom jobs.

i will ALWAYS tell you guys the truth about how Wall Street works. i have NO ulterior motive, other than to help you from losing your money.

NT

Has a ban on short selling ever been implemented by the SEC in previous times?

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1243 on: August 01, 2008, 09:10:37 AM »
Has a ban on short selling ever been implemented by the SEC in previous times?

no. first time ever.

NT

Moosejay

« Reply #1244 on: August 01, 2008, 09:12:21 AM »

NT

I have been in for about 20 years

Have averaged 11% return.

Harden the fuck up, be courageous instead of the fear for women that is propagated here.

Moosejay

« Reply #1245 on: August 01, 2008, 09:12:59 AM »
bush has systematically destroyed this country financially and otherwise. our country is heading for a severe recession as a result of his failed policies. in the coming months, the stock market will come crashing down. mark my words.

cash is king !

Well, everyone is allowed to be wrong every so and so!

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1246 on: August 01, 2008, 09:27:10 AM »
I have been in for about 20 years

Have averaged 11% return.

Harden the fuck up, be courageous instead of the fear for women that is propagated here.

Oh that's what it is, Courage?

I think smart money on wall street would call it something else.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #1247 on: August 01, 2008, 09:29:05 AM »

Over the long run smart money makes money.

He can call it courage, intellect...whatever, lets not play semantics.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1248 on: August 01, 2008, 10:13:55 AM »

agreed. (it's called dumb money)

think about it, over the last 10 yrs the Nasdaq's return is MINUS - 55%, with inflation it's down well over MINUS - 65%.

over the same time frame (10 YRS) the S+P and Dow are both FLAT. with inflation calulated in, their both down well over MINUS - 20 %

years ago people bought stocks and placed them in their sock drawer for 20-30 yrs and made solid returns. those days are OVER. today, the average investor must be nimble and avoid big market downturns to see decent returns.

NT

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #1249 on: August 01, 2008, 12:25:51 PM »
Here are some facts NT doesn't want you to see.  These are Mutual Funds in the Large Cap Growth catagory, some big names and lot's of SMART MONEY invested in these funds.

Top Performers - 1 Year (out of 1786)

Fund Name Symbol Return

CGM Mutual  LOMMX                        26.15%
JHancock Large Cap Equity I JLVIX    23.34%
Janus Twenty JAVLX                       23.21%
Janus Aspen Forty Instl JACAX          23.17%
Janus Adviser Forty I JCAPX              23.07% 
JHancock Large Cap Equity A TAGRX   22.91%
Quaker Strategic Growth I QAGIX        22.91%
Janus Aspen Forty Svc N/A                22.89%
Janus Adviser Forty A JDCAX              22.77%
Janus Adviser Forty S JARTX               22.49%