Author Topic: Dow Crash Coming To Your 401K (2007 to 2022)  (Read 462197 times)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Re: Dow crash coming to your 401k (**Strictly Moderated--SEE FIRST POST**)
« Reply #1750 on: November 14, 2008, 08:08:33 AM »
Sears to close 7 more stores.

Sears Holdings Corp. plans to shutter another seven poor performing stores in February, bringing to 19 the number of stores pegged to close early next year as retailers grapple with one of the worst consumer spending environments in decades.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1751 on: November 14, 2008, 08:56:52 AM »
although i do not recommend individual stocks, i personally like JRCC.

NT

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #1752 on: November 14, 2008, 09:30:36 AM »
although i do not recommend individual stocks, i personally like JRCC.

NT

Im sure its gonna be a great advice just as money markets  ::)

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #1753 on: November 14, 2008, 10:01:05 AM »

i see. you'd rather lose 50% of your 401k's value, rather than put it on the sidelines making 4%.

makes sense.

NT

ps  this is my last reply to your useless posts.

You didnt answer the main question, money market funds are breaking the buck, how is that a great deal  ::)

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1754 on: November 14, 2008, 10:47:01 AM »
You didnt answer the main question, money market funds are breaking the buck, how is that a great deal  ::)

What have stocks made since Nov 2007?

Dumbass.  Go back to G&O

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #1755 on: November 14, 2008, 10:52:40 AM »
What have stocks made since Nov 2007?

Dumbass.  Go back to G&O

ok i got the point, money market funds will protect my money  ::)

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #1756 on: November 15, 2008, 05:40:06 AM »

i see. you'd rather lose 50% of your 401k's value, rather than put it on the sidelines making 4%.

makes sense.

NT

ps  this is my last reply to your useless posts.

Neurotoxin, why is it a bad idea to leave your money in stocks if you're looking at the long term (let's say 10 or 20 years away from retirement)? I think saying "get out of equity" right now is really not such a good bet. I mean, I bough UBS at $14.00 and you know that company ain't going down the drain, they got plenty of cash. I bought Goldman Sachs at $ 98.37 and you know GS ain't going down.

It's just a wait and sell game, which requires patience. I will sell both when they go back up to $ 60.00 for UBS and $ 234.00 for GS. And they will. I mean, if you want to "play the market" your strategy is fine, but the temporary loss of let's say 40% of your 401k plan will be recouped in a few years.

Whatcha think?

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1757 on: November 16, 2008, 06:59:09 AM »
Neurotoxin, why is it a bad idea to leave your money in stocks if you're looking at the long term (let's say 10 or 20 years away from retirement)? I think saying "get out of equity" right now is really not such a good bet. I mean, I bough UBS at $14.00 and you know that company ain't going down the drain, they got plenty of cash. I bought Goldman Sachs at $ 98.37 and you know GS ain't going down.

It's just a wait and sell game, which requires patience. I will sell both when they go back up to $ 60.00 for UBS and $ 234.00 for GS. And they will. I mean, if you want to "play the market" your strategy is fine, but the temporary loss of let's say 40% of your 401k plan will be recouped in a few years.

Whatcha think?

Slapper, i would not advise someone to exit the market now, especially if they did not act last year. i gave my "sell and protect your money" opinion Nov. 2007, before the 40+% drop in equities. jumping ship now would be foolish IMO.

current technical analysis and market fundamentals are still extremely weak. this leads me to believe theres more downside risk before we bottom. that said, if someone avoided the 40+% market crash and is looking out 5+ yrs, buying certain sectors now is not necessarily a bad idea. (as you're doing)

as far as the 20 year buy and hold theory goes.....its been nearly 10 yrs since the Tech bubble burst at 5,000+. the NASDAQ is currently trading at 1,500 a decade later. it may take another 20 yrs to hit break even @ NASDAQ 5,000+. although the Dow and S&P have acted somewhat better, returns over the last 10 years are also a net negative. neither of those "returns" are in my best interest.

Hedge Funds and the like have changed the Market game from buy and hold forever, (as our parents did) to being more nimble and avoiding big downturns/crashes that now take decades to recover from.

just my opinion.

NT

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #1758 on: November 16, 2008, 08:01:01 AM »

Slapper, i would not advise someone to exit the market now, especially if they did not act last year. i gave my "sell and protect your money" opinion Nov. 2007, before the 40+% drop in equities. jumping ship now would be foolish IMO.

current technical analysis and market fundamentals are still extremely weak. this leads me to believe theres more downside risk before we bottom. that said, if someone avoided the 40+% market crash and is looking out 5+ yrs, buying certain sectors now is not necessarily a bad idea. (as you're doing)

as far as the 20 year buy and hold theory goes.....its been nearly a 10 yrs since the Tech bubble burst at 5,000+. the NASDAQ is currently trading at 1,500 a decade later. it may take another 20 yrs to hit break even @ NASDAQ 5,000+. although the Dow and S&P have acted somewhat better, returns over the last 10 years are also a net negative. neither of those "returns" are in my best interest.

Hedge Funds and the like have changed the Market game from buy and hold forever, (as our parents did) to being more nimble and avoiding big downturns/crashes that now take decades to recover from.

just my opinion.

NT

I see your point. Thanks.

By the way, You Da Man.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #1759 on: November 17, 2008, 05:44:23 AM »
The best time to invest in the stock market is when nobody is investing. If you're intelligent / lucky enough to invest in the best companies now, whilst rates are at rock bottom, the higher potential you have for growth on the money you put into the system.

If you have some disposable income that you wouldn't commit suicide over losing, then I highly suggest you invest in "solid", market leading companies with proven income and a high liquid cash holdings, e.g. MSFT, GOOG.

There's never an opportunity to get rich quite like investing on the stock market during a recession.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1760 on: November 17, 2008, 01:28:35 PM »
as additional economic data comes in, continue to focus on institutional support. (7,800-7,900)

if we breach support in this environment... things could get very ugly.

NT

Nov. 17 - U.S. stocks slid, extending a two- week drop, as a record contraction in New York manufacturing and Citigroup Inc.'s plan to cut 50,000 jobs spurred concern the recession will deepen.

``You're going to continue to get barraged with bad economic data,'' Bill Stone, who oversees $56 billion as chief investment strategist at PNC Wealth Management in Philadelphia, told Bloomberg Television. ``Earnings have hit a wall or fallen off a cliff in a lot of cases. You're not likely to see much help from this front for a while.''

The S&P 500 declined 2.6 percent to 850.75 after swinging between gains and losses at least 18 times as energy shares climbed earlier in the day. The Dow Jones Industrial Average decreased 223.73, or 2.6 percent, to 8,273.58. The Nasdaq Composite slid 2.3 percent to 1,482.05. Three stocks fell for each three that rose on the New York Stock Exchange.

Alex23

« Reply #1761 on: November 17, 2008, 01:28:52 PM »
The best time to invest in the stock market is when nobody is investing. If you're intelligent / lucky enough to invest in the best companies now, whilst rates are at rock bottom, the higher potential you have for growth on the money you put into the system.

If you have some disposable income that you wouldn't commit suicide over losing, then I highly suggest you invest in "solid", market leading companies with proven income and a high liquid cash holdings, e.g. MSFT, GOOG.

There's never an opportunity to get rich quite like investing on the stock market during a recession.

Spoken like a champ. I'm amazed at how many good buy opportunities out there these days...

Alex23

« Reply #1762 on: November 17, 2008, 01:31:34 PM »
Spoken like a champ. I'm amazed at how many good buy opportunities out there these days...

I called on GM last Tuesday when the stock hit 2.77, stating that Wednesday will be a good time to start buying. They will not let GM fail. Closed at 3.18 today.

Patience grasshopper.

Alex23

« Reply #1763 on: November 17, 2008, 02:11:33 PM »
Other stocks on my watch list:

BOOM, XETA (which I already bought @1.80), PRKR, INPH, CSCO. 

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1764 on: November 17, 2008, 02:57:51 PM »
I see your point. Thanks.

By the way, You Da Man.

thank you.

NT

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1765 on: November 18, 2008, 05:09:55 AM »

as additional economic data comes in, continue to focus on institutional support. (7,800-7,900) 

NT

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1766 on: November 18, 2008, 08:08:03 AM »
I called on GM last Tuesday when the stock hit 2.77, stating that Wednesday will be a good time to start buying. They will not let GM fail. Closed at 3.18 today.

Patience grasshopper.

GM is a complete gamble.

If the Gov bails them out, they will take their share of ownership.  What happens to dividends for common shares? bonuses to bring in new management? and you also have the crippling effect of partnering with government.

How do you see this unfolding?

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1767 on: November 18, 2008, 08:21:58 AM »
GM is a complete gamble.

If the Gov bails them out, they will take their share of ownership.  What happens to dividends for common shares? bonuses to bring in new management? and you also have the crippling effect of partnering with government.

How do you see this unfolding?

agreed. I'd rather play Craps.

bankruptcy and GM is still a strong possibility.

NT

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1768 on: November 18, 2008, 02:23:28 PM »
high volatility, Market up 200, down 200, up 151.

still holding support.

NT

Nov. 18 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. stocks gained in the last hour of trading as a rally in energy and technology shares overpowered earlier declines spurred by a drop in homebuilder confidence to the lowest level on record.

The S&P 500 added 1 percent to 859.12. The Dow Jones Industrial Average increased 151.17 points, or 1.8 percent, to 8,424.75. The Nasdaq Composite Index rose less than 0.1 percent to 1,483.27. About six stocks retreated for every five that advanced on the New York Stock Exchange.

Alex23

« Reply #1769 on: November 18, 2008, 05:03:49 PM »
high volatility, Market up 200, down 200, up 151.

still holding support.

NT

Nov. 18 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. stocks gained in the last hour of trading as a rally in energy and technology shares overpowered earlier declines spurred by a drop in homebuilder confidence to the lowest level on record.

The S&P 500 added 1 percent to 859.12. The Dow Jones Industrial Average increased 151.17 points, or 1.8 percent, to 8,424.75. The Nasdaq Composite Index rose less than 0.1 percent to 1,483.27. About six stocks retreated for every five that advanced on the New York Stock Exchange.

Nerotaxing, where do you get all this non-public tremendous information from?

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1770 on: November 19, 2008, 01:09:49 PM »
Nerotaxing, where do you get all this non-public tremendous information from?

How's that GM stock pick doing?

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #1771 on: November 19, 2008, 01:11:24 PM »

im sure its still better than a money market fund breaking the buck  :)

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1772 on: November 19, 2008, 01:12:18 PM »

NT

U.S. Stocks Slide on Concern Recession Is Deepening; GM Tumbles

Nov. 19  U.S. stocks sank and benchmark indexes slid below their lowest closes since 2003 on growing concern over the fate of the nation's car industry and economic data signaling the recession is deepening.

General Motors Corp. tumbled as much as 18 percent to its lowest price since 1942, while Ford Motor Co. lost 24 percent. Citigroup Inc. slid 17 percent to $6.90, a 13-year low, on a plan to buy $17.4 billion of assets from structured investment vehicles it advises. Government reports showing the biggest decrease in consumer prices and the fewest housing starts on record sent JPMorgan Chase & Co., Cisco Systems Inc. and General Electric Co. to declines of more than 5 percent.

The S&P 500 slipped 4.1 percent to 806.00, extending its 2008 retreat to 45 percent. The Dow Jones Industrial Average lost -427.03 points, to 7,997.00 The Nasdaq Composite Index decreased 4.3 percent to 1,419.17. Seventeen stocks fell for each that rose on the New York Stock Exchange.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1773 on: November 19, 2008, 02:39:01 PM »
economic data for tomorrow.  :o

Jobless Claims

Leading Indicators

Philadelphia Fed Survey

Alex23

« Reply #1774 on: November 19, 2008, 03:24:10 PM »

patience, patience...