Author Topic: Police cars now automatically scanning and recording license plates in databases  (Read 3859 times)

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)

If you're referring to a database search, then I suppose so...but I'm referencing in terms of a 4th amendment search.

I've never heard of any protection against the police referencing DMV/DOT data.

But, the SCOTUS has ruled we have a right to privacy.  So, the more pertinent issue, IMO, is whether or not holding this data violates that protection.

Exactly.  It is done with an absolute intent to search.  There's no way around that.

The idea is that it's intended as tool to be used in a public place, meaning that it's "ok" to begin a composite structure of information pertaining to the timed whereabouts of all citizens.  Again, there's no way around that conclusion.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
What needs to happen, is that the search MUST be limited to storing data that pertains to the legal issues that a cop on a routine traffic stop would deal with.  There MUST be a way to guarantee that all other information is removed as it is processed.  Removed.  Period.

And people know this shit.  The guys implementing this stuff know it.  There's no "confusion" about what's proper.  

Please, to anyone, don't kid yourself about this.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
Crazy, crazy world, man. 

But so fucking predictable, when we allow the psychopaths to set the score.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Exactly.  It is done with an absolute intent to search.  There's no way around that.

The idea is that it's intended as tool to be used in a public place, meaning that it's "ok" to begin a composite structure of information pertaining to the timed whereabouts of all citizens.  Again, there's no way around that conclusion.

Well the database search is merely an extension of what a cop could do on their own, so I don't see that as going anywhere.  Perfectly legal as far as I know (I'm no attorney though).

Agreed on the privacy aspect.

A more amusing question is whether or not the cops supporting this technology on the basis of it being 'public' info, are also against being filmed while doing their job in public.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V

Well the database search is merely an extension of what a cop could do on their own, so I don't see that as going anywhere.  Perfectly legal as far as I know (I'm no attorney though).

What do you mean, Skip?  That cops, theoretically, could drive around entering license plates manually?

A more amusing question is whether or not the cops supporting this technology on the basis of it being 'public' info, are also against being filmed while doing their job in public.

I'd love to hear one of them explain.  Because you know there are many, many cops who would try to defend both stances.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
What do you mean, Skip?  That cops, theoretically, could drive around entering license plates manually?

I'd love to hear one of them explain.  Because you know there are many, many cops who would try to defend both stances.

Yeah basically.  This technology just automates police manually checking and noting plates.  I don't think they need any reason to run your plates.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V

Yeah basically.  This technology just automates police manually checking and noting plates.  I don't think they need any reason to run your plates.

I'm not sure if it would be possible to build a meaningful database in such a way, but you never know...lol

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
Excellent point on the potential hypocrisy of the average cop regarding this, versus being recorded.  I'd love for 007 and other cops to state their opinions.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
As long as cops can get away with the shit they pull off(see the police state thread) their access to technology and things that yields them power should be limited.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
You know, it's funny.  If you think about what Skip was saying, regarding that, theoretically, cops could spend all free time recording license plates, locations, times, etc., it really puts things into perspective.  Imagine how the conversation would be different, if that was the case.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244

Well the database search is merely an extension of what a cop could do on their own, so I don't see that as going anywhere.  Perfectly legal as far as I know (I'm no attorney though).

...and while supposedly in the capacity of "public servants"  hmmmm... quite the contradiction wouldn't you say?
w

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
...and while supposedly in the capacity of "public servants"  hmmmm... quite the contradiction wouldn't you say?

This!!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V

I'm all for being filmed doing my job in public. My department films me, I have no expectation of privacy in the public sector. I don't understand some cops issue with this. Having said that, there are some groups that like to interject themselves in the cops face while they are conducting business, causing a safety issue. That, I'm opposed to, but filming me in general, have at it.   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
I'm all for being filmed doing my job in public. My department films me, I have no expectation of privacy in the public sector. I don't understand some cops issue with this. Having said that, there are some groups that like to interject themselves in the cops face while they are conducting business, causing a safety issue. That, I'm opposed to, but filming me in general, have at it.   

You would admit that there are a great many of your like who do not appreciate the filming... No?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Fuck this shit.. im getting a bicycle

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
Fuck this shit.. im getting a bicycle
then we'll be checking out your muscular ass and thighs.
w

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
then we'll be checking out your muscular ass and thighs.

you forgot to put no homo

chadstallion

• Getbig IV

why would I put that there?  ;) it would be a mis statement. and immediately corrected by 333386.
w

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot

Chad is 100% homo.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Chad is all homo/twink all the time.    He trolls for hookups on this site.   Maybe you should PM him and you two can exchange numbers.  

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
awe shit... wtf

I dunno man... As one of my work colleagues says... "I do not understand the gay."

Chad seems alright though... He's a good-natured dude... You just gotta guard your backside around him.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
Chad is all homo/twink all the time.    He trolls for hookups on this site.   Maybe you should PM him and you two can exchange numbers.  
no hook ups on this site.  Even I have my standards.  Anyone less qualified than you gets an automatic pass from me.
w

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
I dunno man... As one of my work colleagues says... "I do not understand the gay."

Chad seems alright though... He's a good-natured dude... You just gotta guard your backside around him.
but that means you're agreeable for a little bj action?  you can stay working right at your desk; i'll do the rest.
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
no hook ups on this site.  Even I have my standards.  Anyone less qualified than you gets an automatic pass from me.

No thanks - I like chicks w booty and bog tits.