Author Topic: After Yesterday`s "No One" Machine Workout...  (Read 78929 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Re: After Yesterday`s "No One" Machine Workout...
« Reply #325 on: October 13, 2014, 06:00:46 PM »
The bodybuilder look is not the product of strength or reps or any kind of rep range strategy. It is just drugs.

For all of G15's shortcomings, at least he kept us all honest. Here we are arguing about different lifting strategies, it's so pathetic.

Any way, it's resistance training: "heavy" weights, time under tension, rep speed, repetition duration, rest periods are all forms of resistance strategies. the main element to look good in all of them is 10% diet and 90% genetics. ( and 100% drugs)

Also I think Adonis might be trolling that Basille guy at this point...

Correct somewhat. After a certain level you cannot advance without hormones and peptides. But you still need resistance training and you have to eat. Of course I'm just nit picking but just want it to be clear that at the advance level training, diet and rest is a given. At the advance level no matter what you do and how you manipulate those factors you will not advance in any meaningful way without PEDs.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #326 on: October 13, 2014, 06:08:35 PM »
What about Paul Dillet?   Light weights, extremely lazy, long rests?

Lightweights compare to what? Maybe compared to other IFBB pros but having trained at the same gym as Paul for years in the mid
1990s he was very strong compared to the average gym rat. He was a veritable superman compared to the vast majority of the
population.

Paul Dillet was incredibly gifted when it came to his ability to put on lean muscle mass. I found him to be the most physically impressive
specimen at that time at Gold's Venice. A time when it was populated by Flex Wheeler, Cormier, Ferrigno during his comeback, and a host of other
greats or near greats that populated Gold's in the 1990s.

He did not train harder than anybody else. I doubt he used more drugs than anybody else. The only other factor is genetics which is what made him exceptional. He did not achieve his physique BECAUSE he trained light and with low intensity. He advanced despite poor training because he was simply blessed.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #327 on: October 13, 2014, 06:43:47 PM »
What about static holds and Isometrics? 

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #328 on: October 13, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »

>:(

On a serious note though, haven't static holds gotten overlooked?

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #329 on: October 13, 2014, 10:14:27 PM »
The bodybuilder look is not the product of strength or reps or any kind of rep range strategy. It is just drugs.

For all of G15's shortcomings, at least he kept us all honest. Here we are arguing about different lifting strategies, it's so pathetic.

Any way, it's resistance training: "heavy" weights, time under tension, rep speed, repetition duration, rest periods are all forms of resistance strategies. the main element to look good in all of them is 10% diet and 90% genetics. ( and 100% drugs)

posts like this that make getbig

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #330 on: October 14, 2014, 06:14:38 AM »

no. I've discovered you're incorrect.

altho overall development will be dictated by genetics and / or use of or amounts of compounds, a fully repaired muscle than can be trained daily using the same poundages as the day before will become a denser bigger muscle.

it's that simple. frequency + stress + repair= growth.

throw drugs in there you get more growth. I don't see how anyone cannot see a correlation between frequency , repair and growth. those who get it will continue to improve. those who don't won't.

if you want to believe there is nothing you can do to keep improving/ growing outside of genetics or taking more drugs then you'll either relegate yourself to megadosing, or never reach your full potential.

this routine is the first and only time in my life that I can say a training routine is important to hypertrophy. I used to believe the exact same thing Master Blaster did. not anymore.
b

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #331 on: October 14, 2014, 06:03:02 PM »

What about it? Are you asking if static holds/Isometrics can be a factor in stimulating an adaptive response via muscle hypertrophy.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #332 on: October 14, 2014, 07:25:44 PM »
What about it? Are you asking if static holds/Isometrics can be a factor in stimulating an adaptive response via muscle hypertrophy.
Yes!

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #333 on: October 14, 2014, 07:35:23 PM »
Not sure if it is a "static hold" but I feel that just holding heavy dumbells for a good amount of time gives the forearms a great pump and possibly hypertrophy  :o

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #334 on: October 15, 2014, 01:51:38 AM »
No, it isn't trolling. If someone tries something 'new' and it works they become believers. If more frequency is important for hypertrophy then it must be incorporated.

The people on HST (Hypertrophy Specific Training) forum insist that muscles need to be retrained every 36 hours. There is scientific evidence that protein synthesis slows after 24 hours and is more or less complete by 36 hours after training. I guess they assume this is also when

hypertrophy ceases. To be practical, they advocate training a muscle every 2nd day. No one believes in training every 24 hours. Interesting.

I had an arm workout on Monday. On Tuesday one of my elbows was a bit sore. Not sure what caused it but sometimes even sitting in a chair with the arms on a rest can do it. So I had another arm workout yesterday and today the elbow soreness is gone.

In the past I wondered if connective tissue took longer to heal than muscle. So I trained every 3rd day and it worked as far as growing rapidly. It remains to be seen if daily training will increase hypertrophy even more.

Mike Mentzer advocated training a muscle once a week. Ray Mentzer did a variation and did one direct workout and one indirect workout for that muscle.

If what HST and no one believe is true then it means much more frequent training for any muscle group you want to get larger. This protocol is surely not for lazy people!

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #335 on: October 15, 2014, 06:24:32 PM »
Yes!

I'm not really sure. It seems clear that static holds/isometrics adds to the intensity of effort you exert during set. And it certainly adds to "time under tension" which is suppose to a be a better measure than "reps". The only way one would know for sure would be if one trained solely using isometrics. I know there were studies done using just the concentric or the positive portion of an exercise and it was found that though it increased cardiovascular conditioning it did very little in increasing muscle size and strength. This was in direct contrast to negative only or eccentric training which did little to increase cardio vascular conditioning but was very useful in increasing muscular size and strength.

I remember as a kid a device was advertised as "isotonics" and gave resistance to only the positive portion of an exercise. It's selling point was that no matter how hard you trained you never had to worry or endure muscle soreness or DOMS.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #336 on: October 16, 2014, 03:02:50 AM »
I'm not really sure. It seems clear that static holds/isometrics adds to the intensity of effort you exert during set. And it certainly adds to "time under tension" which is suppose to a be a better measure than "reps". The only way one would know for sure would be if one trained solely using isometrics. I know there were studies done using just the concentric or the positive portion of an exercise and it was found that though it increased cardiovascular conditioning it did very little in increasing muscle size and strength. This was in direct contrast to negative only or eccentric training which did little to increase cardio vascular conditioning but was very useful in increasing muscular size and strength.

I remember as a kid a device was advertised as "isotonics" and gave resistance to only the positive portion of an exercise. It's selling point was that no matter how hard you trained you never had to worry or endure muscle soreness or DOMS.

If a muscle has mechanical tension applied to it and if that tension is sufficient and the time adequate the muscle will hypertrophy. It will happen doing conventional training, positive only or negative only. Scientists found that lowering a resistance under a load

caused more damage and hence growth.

Doug Hepburn, a Canadian strongman and weightlifter, invented a concentric only exercise machine. I trained under his supervision for a couple of weeks back in 1969. He gave me a very difficult program. I supersetted curls with standing triceps extensions. 20 sets for 5 reps. I can tell

I put half an inch on my arms from 4 workouts. I arrived one day to discover the machine was elsewhere so that ended that. I guess I should have persisted. Doug was one of the first humans to bench press over 500 pounds way back in the early fifties. He was the world heavyweight

weightlifting champion in 1953. In 1954 Paul Anderson arrived and that was the end of Doug reign as world champion. Doug was very intelligent and he worked out what was required to increase strength and size.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #337 on: October 16, 2014, 03:12:49 AM »

In 1965 I visited York, Pa. I trained at the York gym and met John Grimek, Bob Hoffman and Jules Bacon. I saw Bob Gajda win the Mr USA contest.

I saw Bill March do an easy 375 pound standing press. That was impressive. The weightlifters were using an isometric program that was effective.

I used it for a week there. On Monday you held a barbell against pins for three sets of 10 seconds. You chose a weight that didn't allow you to hold

it for more than 10 seconds. I did curls, standing press, row, bench and I think a squat. On Monday you put the pins at a position half way through the

movement. Then on Wednesday you repeated the program but held the weight 1/4 way into the movement. On Friday you used a position 3/4 through

the movement. Then on Saturday you tried to do a maximum for a single in each movement. I well remember doing a strict standing curl with 175 pounds

at the end of the week. My arms were around 16 inches. I gained some size so it was effective for hypertrophy. The problem was not having a rack with pins.

The program was in a York magazine but I wasn't able to find it. It is there somewhere because I have all the magazines going back to the early sixties.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #338 on: October 16, 2014, 03:22:41 AM »
Once, I trained every day for the whole of february but felt like the walking dead 28 days later.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #339 on: October 16, 2014, 07:05:51 AM »
as Gal (pbuh) wrote, the mind-muscle connection is crucial

so many people lift/move weights but don't maintain tension or even use the muscle at all

no one's system is brilliant for many reasons - in some part because it forces you to use weight light enough to truly isolate the muscle

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #340 on: October 16, 2014, 08:13:13 AM »
as Gal (pbuh) wrote, the mind-muscle connection is crucial

so many people lift/move weights but don't maintain tension or even use the muscle at all

no one's system is brilliant for many reasons - in some part because it forces you to use weight light enough to truly isolate the muscle

Took me over 10 years but I finally got the mind muscle connection and believe in it.

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #341 on: October 16, 2014, 10:04:06 AM »
i'll put this here cause those reading this thread are serious about wanting to better themselves and are always looking for edges to help w their diets or training.

so, i started dieting. hard. in that i use certain foods that i like to get my protein and cals in for the day. im very minimalist for two reasons i dont got time to cook fancy meals that meet my macros, and i dont eat for taste- eating for taste causes me too look fwd to eating. i dont want to look fwd to eating. that makes me hungry.

this drink in an appetite killer, and tastes awesome.

coffee/ one scoop low carb protein powder (chocolate) / 1 tsp coconut oil

if you bought gals and mine book you'd see that i recommend protein/ coffee. but i just started adding the coconut oil. try it. you wont be disappointed.
b

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #342 on: October 16, 2014, 10:20:30 AM »
Took me over 10 years but I finally got the mind muscle connection and believe in it.

100% dude.

i believe the guy who can feels his muscle 'work' is going to have a better physique that the guy who doesnt.

*cue argumentative shitstorm 'i know a guy who trains like shit and he looks awesome' blah blah blah :D
b

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #343 on: October 16, 2014, 10:45:54 AM »
100% dude.

i believe the guy who can feels his muscle 'work' is going to have a better physique that the guy who doesnt.

*cue argumentative shitstorm 'i know a guy who trains like shit and he looks awesome' blah blah blah :D

Actually it took me 15 years now that I think about it. IMO very important to bodybuilders but not important at all for powerlifters. Myself I don't care about strength even though I am strong in some lifts and any weight training should increase ones strength somewhat.

Simple Simon

« Reply #344 on: October 16, 2014, 10:48:11 AM »
Actually it took me 15 years now that I think about it. IMO very important to bodybuilders but not important at all for powerlifters. Myself I don't care about strength even though I am strong in some lifts and any weight training should increase ones strength somewhat.
I dont lift weights, I use them to stress a muscle.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #345 on: October 16, 2014, 10:51:59 AM »

Tell us more about your mind-muscle journey? ::) ::) :-\ :-X :D :D
X

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #346 on: October 16, 2014, 10:52:11 AM »
My Gravity Suit was actually based on that simple concept.  It would be a suit you could wear with adjustable hydraulic resistance that conform to all moveable joints in the body.  You wear the thing for an hour and just go about your normal activities.  No gym or weights needed.  

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #347 on: October 16, 2014, 10:53:51 AM »

I often use the mind muscle connection. however, at times I feel myself getting lazy and just lifting. It takes a lot to keep that mind muscle connection going throughout a workout.
X

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #348 on: October 16, 2014, 10:58:23 AM »
I often use the mind muscle connection. however, at times I feel myself getting lazy and just lifting. It takes a lot to keep that mind muscle connection going throughout a workout.
Do No One`s workout.  You are forced to have it if you forget or not.  Its insane the pumps you get.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #349 on: October 16, 2014, 10:58:58 AM »
If you are having trouble with the mind-muscle connection you are likely using too much weight.