Author Topic: Is Ozempic getting people off psych meds?  (Read 3609 times)

Lartinos

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Is Ozempic getting people off psych meds?
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2023, 05:04:44 PM »
A drug will not change eating habits. Hope your friend enjoys his fat wife.

A lot of people say it makes them nauseous and hard to eat.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2023, 05:22:29 PM »
I have used ozempic.

My wife wanted it so I got a bunch. Works like a demon. You won’t want anything of anything.

It will make your hair fall out.

It does impact your vision but that comes back once you stop.

No nausea for us or any other things.

Unlike diets the hunger doesn’t rally hard once off. You just feel normal hunger once off and we did sub 1,000cals/day.

WrongAdvices

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2023, 06:41:18 PM »
Is Ozempic getting people off psych meds?

I think most likely it can and is doing so. I'll go a step further than simply suggest anecdotal information and instead suggest proven medical literature as to a reason why Ozempic is likely getting people to want to come off the psychiatric medications.

How does Ozempic work? Ozempic is a GLP-1 receptor agonist. GLP-1 receptors are essentially gatekeepers that activate numerous types of cells in the body and allow them to display their various inherent functions. Think of receptors much like antennas to old TV or cell phones, if a signal hits that antenna, the image on your TV or quality of your phone call improves. In other words, the right messenger binding with that receptor (i.e. antenna) causes the quality of the cell (TV or phone) to truly shine.

Ozempic activates the GLP-1 receptors that exists throughout the BRAIN and also within the PANCREAS. For weight loss purposes, Ozempic activates GLP-1 receptors in beta cells of the pancreas and this in turn causes insulin secretion, which then leads to delayed emptying of food content in your stomach (makes you feel full for longer) and produces weight loss through reduction of hunger and consequent food intake. In the brain, Ozempic activates GLP-1 receptors which results in the release of several neurotransmitters including serotonin, dopamine, GABA, and glutamate, which may regulate depressive-like behaviors.

That which I mentioned above is the mechanism as to why Ozempic can possibly lead to reduced use of psychiatric medications.

For instance, SSRIs (Prozac/Fluoxetine, Sertraline/Zoloft, Fluvoxamine/Luvox, Escitalopram/Lexapro, Citalopram/Celexa, Paroxetine/Paxil) cause your brain to have more Serotonin available, which is a chemical that regulates mood, anxiety, sadness, happiness, impulsivity and even sleep. Ozempic can possibly (postulating here) reduce the need to take an SSRI. You can also add the same postulation to SNRIs (Venlafaxine/Effexor, Duloxetine/Cymbalta, Desvenlafaxine/Pristiq etc) as these medications increase Serotonin and Noradrenaline. Wellbutrin/Bupropion increases Noradrenaline and Dopamine, well Ozempic might help patients that take that medication as it also promotes Dopamine release. Take a Benzodiazepine for anxiety or panic attacks? Well, Ozempic promotes the release of GABA which activates GABA receptors and that in essence is what Benzodiazepines do as they allow GABA to bind more easily to the GABA receptors.

Moreover, since the stuff makes you lose weight, you start to feel better by default, as when we look better we naturally feel better. Last thing, I am not trying to sell anyone on the drug. I don't use it, nor do I know anyone that does. I have read up on the mechanism of action particularly with respect to receptors throughout the brain. Do your own research.

For the direct medical literature behind much of this, feel free to check out the following: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7456867/#:~:text=These%20studies%20indicate%20that%20GLP,may%20regulate%20depressive%2Dlike%20behaviors.

Sorry for the long post, but things like this interest me during the weekend.

"1"

Are the doctors who prescribing it requiring the patients to come off the SSRIs, etc.?  That's what I'd like to know.

Also, are women choosing weight loss over the meds they're supposedly taking for depression and the like?  If so, interesting choice.

I do think losing the weight could be good for improving mental health generally for the reason cited above.

WrongAdvices

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2023, 06:45:46 PM »
I have used ozempic.

My wife wanted it so I got a bunch. Works like a demon. You won’t want anything of anything.

It will make your hair fall out.

It does impact your vision but that comes back once you stop.

No nausea for us or any other things.

Unlike diets the hunger doesn’t rally hard once off. You just feel normal hunger once off and we did sub 1,000cals/day.

I hear stuff like 15-20% of body weight for the amount of loss, what was the magnitude you and your wife experienced?

Matt's friend going down from 330 to 300 is good but not really life changing, even down to 270 wouldn't seem that dramatic, down to 240ish, that's a lot more like it both from an aesthetic and a health perspective I'd think.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2023, 08:17:04 PM »
Are the doctors who prescribing it requiring the patients to come off the SSRIs, etc.?  That's what I'd like to know.

No. I don't think there is anything, at least by way of Ozempic manufacturers that suggests that SSRIs would have to be discontinued.

Moreover, if you use something like the drug interactions guide at drugs.com (https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/semaglutide,ozempic.html) to check if Ozempic would have any interactions with model SSRIs like that of Prozac/Fluoxetine or Sertraline/Zoloft, it doesn't reveal any interactions. I have read that Ozempic can interact with other antidepressants like that of tricyclic antidepressants and MAO-inhibitors, but I am not particularly clear on what effects these interactions can produce.

For those pharmacology buffs, I could postulate that taking an SSRI and also Ozempic could possibly lead to a condition called Serotonin Syndrome that could have quite the deleterious effects, but that's a guess based on the fact that both medications can result in an increase of available Serotonin.

Also, are women choosing weight loss over the meds they're supposedly taking for depression and the like?  If so, interesting choice.

I am not sure sir.

That said, obesity can kill you. So, pick your poison. Depression can lead to suicidal ideations and possibly suicide. Obesity will kill you slowly and/or sometimes very quickly (heart attack).

I do think losing the weight could be good for improving mental health generally for the reason cited above.

Agreed.

"1"

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2023, 11:55:08 PM »
New drugs is exactly the way to go to combat obesity. Talking about "willpower" is a bit ridiculous, willpower hasn't helped so far. If food is available people will eat it.

Either you make it so that the patient can't or don't want to eat or you cut off food supply.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2023, 12:05:11 AM »
I hear stuff like 15-20% of body weight for the amount of loss, what was the magnitude you and your wife experienced?

Matt's friend going down from 330 to 300 is good but not really life changing, even down to 270 wouldn't seem that dramatic, down to 240ish, that's a lot more like it both from an aesthetic and a health perspective I'd think.

My wife did around 500cals/day and dropped 16kg in 5 weeks using 0.25mg once a week. She was very slim at the end.

My take on it is because your appetite for anything is basically zero you can do stupid low cals crazy easy. What you have to deal with is feeling like shit while your body adapts 2-3 weeks to low cals.

Her business partner gave it a shot but he kept drinking and eating. Lost 5kg over a month or something but basically ate and drank all the way through which was dumb.

What I do is buy the 1mg pens and use 36 clicks which is 0.25mg dose. You basically pay the same money underground as the 0.5mg pens but get twice as many doses.

many eat while on it which says more about their lifestyle than the drug itself. Seriously, there is ZERO desire to eat or feel hungry the entire week. If you are overeating still that is you being a fat lazy person with no life.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2023, 12:26:22 AM »
New drugs is exactly the way to go to combat obesity. Talking about "willpower" is a bit ridiculous, willpower hasn't helped so far. If food is available people will eat it.

Either you make it so that the patient can't or don't want to eat or you cut off food supply.
Yep, if fat fuckers had willpower they wouldn't be fat.

GymnJuice

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2023, 06:13:28 AM »
People are so lazy they need a drug to keep them from overeating.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2023, 08:31:42 AM »

It used to be hard (for most of human existence) to get things like sugar and animal fat. 

I imagine we evolved to "crave" these rare/high-energy foods and now thanks to modern agriculture we can get basically unlimited quantities of these things.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2023, 09:32:11 AM »
People are so lazy they need a drug to keep them from overeating.

When talking obesity I always think of that "600lbs life"" series. I'm fat myself, not obese, but I tell people that obesity is more common in stupid people. I have no research but that's what it looks like to me. The people on that show are pretty stupid. And it would be hard to convince me there isn't a major genetic component here, instead of just a character defect (laziness). Some of these people were like 400lbs as teens and really fat from the time they were toddlers. Something is wrong.

But otoh some cultures have slimmer populations on average so culture and society do affect public health, but I still think genetics are the most important. And if it was mostly cultural, due to discrimination and even racism, how would you go about making society slimmer through propaganda? With these drugs the patient makes the choice and seems to me the current drugs already work like a dream. Yes there will most likely be causualties.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2023, 09:37:10 AM »
"Ozempic" reads like a future NFL draft pick.  FTN.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2023, 09:39:25 AM »
It used to be hard (for most of human existence) to get things like sugar and animal fat. 

I imagine we evolved to "crave" these rare/high-energy foods and now thanks to modern agriculture we can get basically unlimited quantities of these things.

For sure. What's unfortunate is that fat, sugar and protein can be good, they are always 10 times better when combined lol. A fatty steak is nice but it's a lot better with potatoes and gravy lol.

I'm not really into the conspiracy theories about "them" wanting us sick and deliberately giving us the worst diets. Yes there are conspiracies between governments and food producers but I don't think they control all the data all over the world all the time. In the west the "mediterranean diet" seems the most favorered by scientists and it probably isn't an outrageous opinion.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2023, 10:04:18 AM »
"Ozempic" reads like a future NFL draft pick.  FTN.

Ozempic Wegovy, a surprise Blue chip defensive end out of Samoa by way of Oregon State.

mops

• Getbig IV
  • Never make snow angels in a dog park
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2023, 12:08:11 PM »
Yep, if fat fuckers had willpower they wouldn't be fat.

they would be powerlifters

delon

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2023, 12:50:18 PM »
People are also on the whole leading far more sedentary lives these days, so burning less calories

So you've got :
* Far greater access to previously more scarce food due to modern mass food production, as noted
* Less body movement due to societal and technological changes (calories in/out)
* Importantly, sugar-skewing high calorie dense foods tend to be a lot cheaper to bring to market and more convenient to buy and consume: think packaged high carb snacks vs high grade healthy protein. And sugar of course is addictive, and more'ish so things escalate over time

So you are increasingly ending up with not only a heavier overall population, but also one that tends to skew more obese towards the lower socio-economic demographics

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2023, 03:55:58 PM »
My wife did around 500cals/day and dropped 16kg in 5 weeks using 0.25mg once a week. She was very slim at the end.

My take on it is because your appetite for anything is basically zero you can do stupid low cals crazy easy. What you have to deal with is feeling like shit while your body adapts 2-3 weeks to low cals.

Her business partner gave it a shot but he kept drinking and eating. Lost 5kg over a month or something but basically ate and drank all the way through which was dumb.

What I do is buy the 1mg pens and use 36 clicks which is 0.25mg dose. You basically pay the same money underground as the 0.5mg pens but get twice as many doses.

many eat while on it which says more about their lifestyle than the drug itself. Seriously, there is ZERO desire to eat or feel hungry the entire week. If you are overeating still that is you being a fat lazy person with no life.
wouldnt 4 clicks be 1mg?

J. Richards

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2023, 03:59:32 PM »
A lot of people say it makes them nauseous and hard to eat.

yep,,,,  i'm picky about who i eat,,, and the nauseous ones are last on the list...   ;D

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2023, 05:56:31 PM »
wouldnt 4 clicks be 1mg?

The pens have a lot of clicks but it’s not straight measurements of 0.01ml for example.

So it’s 36 clicks for 0.25mg on the 1mg pens from what I have found online so that’s what we use. Inject in the morning and by lunchtime it’s kicked in. Lasts a full week.

When you come off you just get the usual hunger. Zero binge wave. It’s crazy. If you add weight back on IMO it’s behavioural driven. If you are a lazy fat slob before you will still be a lazy slob afterwards and your behaviour will drive you to eat because it’s what you did before. People need a hobby or to be busy otherwise they will eat all the time.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2023, 12:46:31 AM »
they would be powerlifters
Or strongmen.

Lartinos

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2023, 07:51:49 AM »

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2023, 12:49:18 AM »
Stomach paralysis lawsuit.

https://lawsuitlegalnews.com/news/new-ozempic-lawsuit/
Always wait 5-10 years before taking a new drug.

Lartinos

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2023, 02:06:56 PM »
Ozempic is the #1 male baby name in Deeetroyt!!  ;) If true then in roughly 12 to 15 years time Ozempic will be the #1 cause of death for black males nationwide.