Author Topic: Green ceramic non-stick pans  (Read 5966 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Green ceramic non-stick pans
« on: March 09, 2012, 07:37:24 AM »
Has anyone tried them or know anything about them?

Are they made in China?
R

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
Re: Green ceramic non-stick pans
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 08:59:05 AM »

Are they made in China?
Nah

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 05:03:15 PM »
Yep.  Le Creuset.  Made in France.

They're approx £70-80 per saucepan and maybe £120 for a casserole pot?

That's in England, so they're probably twice that in the US.  They come in cream, green, yellow and the very popular orange (which they call 'volcanic')...

Don't like that dark green or the bright orange, so I've recently got a few bits in 'cassis' which is aubergine (eggplant to you), and if you like, there's a brand new cool sea blue.

These will last for life.  They're heavy duty cast iron in lovely colours with white ceramic inners.  Do not buy fakes.  Save up and get the proper job.

xL
I also have two (2nd hand 30-year old) vintage lime green/yellow small saucepans...  
They're so totally lovely
Nowadays I enjoy pot cleaning, they make me smile - they're so gorgeous.

w8m8

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 04:32:52 AM »

Are they made in China?

Germany makes the Green Earth ones .. I don't know anyone that has one .. but reading on it they seem to be much better and approx. the same cost as the bad non-stick ones that flake and peel .. I've been addicted to cast iron frying pans for a long time ... and sauce pans I have copper bottom stainless

Utilizing GREBLON -- a natural ceramic coating from Germany, the Green Earth Pan by Ozeri is one of the world's first frying pans to achieve non-stick perfection while remaining absolutely free of PTFE, PFOA and other harmful chemicals. This version of the Green Earth Pan features a textured ceramic cooking surface designed to prevent food bonding for superior non-stick performance. The elevations of the textured cooking surface also create air pockets which distribute heat underneath food to enhance cooking performance. Conventional non-stick cookware is achieved through a coating of PTFE (PolyTetraFluoroEthylene), a synthetic substance that has waxy properties. At very high temperatures, PTFE begins to decompose and release fumes which are documented to be lethal to birds and small pets, and which can be harmful to humans. In addition, traditional pans incorporating PTFE are manufactured with the aid of PFOA (PerFluoroOctanoic Acid), which the EPA has classified as a 'persistent pollutant of the environment'. With the Green Earth Pan's GREBLON ceramic from Germany, even under high temperatures, no harmful toxic fumes are ever released into the environment. This is because the Green Earth Pan utilizes a 100% ceramic coating derived from nature - not from a laboratory. The Green Earth Pan's ceramic coating is completely free of PTFE and PFOA. The Green Earth Pan's natural ceramic coating is also far more durable and scratch-resistant than other non-stick surfaces. With better non-stick properties, the Green Earth Pan allows you to cook with as little as half the amount of oil normally used, and it makes cleaning a breeze. The Green Earth Pan by Ozeri is made of the highest quality anodized aluminum that allows for even cooking and fantastic browning without the risk of hot spots. It boasts a magnetized bottom for rapid heat transfer on induction stoves, and a heat resistant silicone coated handle. Your satisfaction is guaranteed.

I dunno about the infomercial ones .. I looked but they don't say where they are manufactured  :-\

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 11:05:39 AM »

...so stick with my recommendation of the best available:  Le Crueset.

Why would you suggest (or worse, waste good money on) some product which you don't know anyone who has it?

Buy one really special really good pot, the best you can afford, one per year.  Save up.  By the time you are 30 you'll have the whole set.

xxxL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 11:21:13 AM »
They're not actually non-stick, these hugely expensive pots and pans.  They're not perfect for pasta, pasta sticks to these.  You'll need a big stainless steel pot for pasta.  These cast iron ceramic-lined pots are for proper cooking, for big meals...

xL

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
We have a collection of cast iron skillets. When you season them properly and keep that up, they are relatively nonstick. Who knows, maybe we've become lazy at our house, but Calphalon nonstick pans are great for omelet making and other egg dishes. I've not had issues with them flaking at all.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 04:41:21 PM »
I just bought an Orgreenic brand ceramic pan. So far, it seems nice; but I think most pans tend to work better when they're new.
One noticeable benefit, however, is that it seems to clean a lot easier.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 02:14:49 PM »
Thanks for the comments. 

Linda I have a few Le Cruset but want a long handled saucepan style and maybe a skillet style.  I only paid full price for one (with a gift certificate I was given) and the other ones I have I got from TJ Maxx for about 1/2 price.  Still hoping to find the styles I want there.

Monty, I think that Orgreenic is made in China.

Thanks w8, I will be on the lookout for that...maybe I'll end up ordering one online.
R

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 02:38:22 PM »
Monty, I think that Orgreenic is made in China.

I tossed the box, and it doesn't appear to be printed on the pan itself.
You're probably right, though.

But, I'm not worried. In fact, if this wasn't the girly board, I'd make a joke about adding "a little extra lead to my pencil." ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 09:17:52 PM »
They're not actually non-stick, these hugely expensive pots and pans.  They're not perfect for pasta, pasta sticks to these.  You'll need a big stainless steel pot for pasta.  These cast iron ceramic-lined pots are for proper cooking, for big meals...

xL

Essentially Le Crueset pots are just fancy iron pans. The enamel is more attractive than looking at a black iron pan but the enamel coating is somewhat fragile and porous, meaning some foods will stick, they can chip, they stain and you must be cautious about how you clean them. Unlike the black iron pots, these cannot be repaired once damaged. Still they do look very nice. I like the coastal blue color of the ones in your post.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 08:43:17 AM »

I tossed the box, and it doesn't appear to be printed on the pan itself.
You're probably right, though.

But, I'm not worried. In fact, if this wasn't the girly board, I'd make a joke about adding "a little extra lead to my pencil." ;D

:o

Essentially Le Crueset pots are just fancy iron pans. The enamel is more attractive than looking at a black iron pan but the enamel coating is somewhat fragile and porous, meaning some foods will stick, they can chip, they stain and you must be cautious about how you clean them. Unlike the black iron pots, these cannot be repaired once damaged. Still they do look very nice. I like the coastal blue color of the ones in your post.

Those light blue ones are pretty...since I'm getting them while I can only 2 of mine are the same color.
R