Author Topic: $22,000 Cat  (Read 3762 times)

Andre Nickatina

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
$22,000 Cat
« on: November 11, 2007, 03:32:32 AM »
Ashera cats (Leopard hybrid) go for $22,000.

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: $22,000 Cat
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 07:32:52 PM »
I'd like to have one.......

for a day or two

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 08:45:27 AM »
you couldn't pay me $22,000 to get another kitty

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 09:54:29 AM »
I will take Kitty if you give me  $22,000!!     ;D

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 02:35:39 PM »
The media frenzy with this cat pisses me off----primarily because of everything being wrong about it.

First off there is no Leopard blood in this hybrid.  Leopards are Panthera pardus, they cannot cross with a domestic cat without some hardcore genetic engineering, which in all reality will probably fail because of species differences---ie "big cat" vs "small" cat issues.  Big cats and domestic cats have never been hybridized.  Its thought to not be possible. 

The Ashera is a hybrid between an African Serval (Leptailurus (caracal) serval), an Asian Leopard cat (Prionailurus bengalensis) and a domestic cat (Felis silvestris catus).  There is no leopard blood in this hybrid. 

Its also in my opinion, not worth $22,000.... 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 05:30:19 AM »

Are they really as big as that pic makes them appear? 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 05:34:15 AM »
http://www.lifestylepets.com/ashera-faqs.html

The Ashera is priced at $22,000, plus any applicable sales taxes and is due at time of order. Once we have spoken with you and answered all of your questions, we will forward a sales agreement that will include payment instructions. Generally, the delivery date from receipt of payment is 9-12 months. However, for those customers who simply can’t wait to own an Ashera, a few selected kittens are available earlier for an additional cost of $6,000. All Ashera kittens are provided with a Certificate of Authenticity that will include an image of each kitten's DNA “fingerprint”.

DELIVERY OF YOUR KITTEN

All Ashera kittens are hand delivered to their new owners and hand carried on the transporting aircraft by a Lifestyle Pets representative. Total cost of delivery within the United States is approximately $1,500; outside of the USA we will quote you by location.

Included with the purchase of your Ashera kitten are the following:
·
   Complete and updated vaccinations through delivery
·
   Mandatory spaying or neutering
·
   Microchip Identifier implant
·
   One year of premium veterinary health insurance through Pets Best (USA customers only)
·
   Airline certified electronic climate controlled cat transporter
·
   Veterinary Health Certificate (required for travel)
·
   One set of nail caps already applied (these are vinyl nail caps applied to your kitten's claws that effectively cover the claws so no damage occurs to furniture, etc.)
·
   Starter Pack (includes premium kitten food, additional nail caps, cat toys and other kitten sundries)
·
   One year guarantee (see purchase agreement for terms and conditions)
·
   10 Year consultation access to Dr. Roland Tripp, internationally recognized animal behaviorist.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 05:40:27 AM »
http://ashera-savannah-cat.blogspot.com/

Lifestyle Pets Introduces the $22,000 Ashera(TM), the World's Largest, Rarest and Most Exotic Domestic Cat
(http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/05-30-2007/0004598359&EDATE)

In my opinion, reading this press release simply shouted "There's one born every minute" and "A fool and his money are readily parted". A special kitty descended from the African Serval and Asian Leopard cat and the domestic cat and they want to charge folk $22,000? This cat already exists, it is called the Savannah cat and was first accepted for registration by The International Cat Association (TICA), the world's largest genetic registry of pedigreed cats, way back in the year 2000. So to me, Lifestyle Pets seem a little behind the eight-ball.

From the looks of the pictures attached to this press release, the Ashera they are peddling for $22,000 appears to be an F2 generation Savannah cat (two generations removed from the Serval) which would normally cost $3,500 to ~$5,000 from a reputable cat breeder, depending on quality.

Since the original launching of the Ashera cat, the story has changed a little. This current idea is that this cat melds domestic cat with both African Serval and Asian Leopard Cat lineage. ANY cat with African Serval heritage and domestic cat heritage is a Savannah cat. Period. Asian Leopard Cat heritage is a fancy way of saying that they used Bengal cats (the domestic hybrid descended from Asian Leopard Cats, registered for over 20 years with TICA) to cross to the African Serval, something that has already occurred in the Savannah breed, and the vast majority of Savannahs registered have some Asian Leopard Cat in their heritage.

By keeping all information about the Ashera cat confidential, this means that the purchaser of an Ashera cat is buying a cat lacking a pedigree, which is the thing that normally means a cat is worth more money than a shelter kitty. The pictures supplied of the Ashera cat appear to show an inferior-quality Savannah, and the lack of a pedigree or registration papers backs up that impression.

So as far as I can see, buying an Ashera cat is buying an unregistered inferior Savannah cat and paying five times as much for the privilege?