Author Topic: Trying to get back in a routine, dieting need help keeping muscle  (Read 4943 times)

Comp1on1

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
I have not even been to a gym in 2 years. I have gotten fat and decided it's time to stop being lazy. I am currently taking Phentermine to help control appetite. It doesn't seem to work as well as the original Hydroxycut formula (back when it was 12 pills a day). I have lost about 20lbs and I can tell that I have lost some muscle, even though I have not been working out in years. I want to get to about 10% BF and then start trying to put some muscle on. I'm guessing right now that I will be down to about 170lbs at 10% BF. I am 5'10" and fairly large framed. Right now I'm just over 200lbs and have 15.5" arms. When I have cut before I have never went below a 15" bicep. I am working on a horizontal bike 1hr 3 days a week and eating about 1500 cals a day. 48% carbs 42% protein. I don't want to be huge, just a muscular look and would like for my arms to be 16" and rest of upper body to match that size. My legs are fairly big now with little fat. Most of my fat is around my mid section. I haven't seen my abs in a long time. I have tendonitis in both elbows and I'm limited to what exercises I can do with out major pain. But does anyone have a recommendation on what to eat and how to work out to loose most of the fat and keep what muscle I have? Thanks for any help. Just to note: I have been taking the Phentermine for 33 days today. And don't plan on getting another script for it after the 27 pills I have is gone.

jonno gb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Trying to get back in a routine, dieting need help keeping muscle
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 12:36:15 PM »
1500 kcal seems realy low-how long have you been back in traing/dieting? It just takes time-be patient and you will achieve your goals.I was say stick to heavy basics with a little cardio.Try to add some extra muscle mass and stoke up your metabolism.

Comp1on1

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 01:17:01 PM »
I have been dieting for a little over a month, have not started training yet...other than on a stationary bike 3 days a week. What do I need to take in cal wise and how much should come from protein?

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 09:11:26 AM »
What do you eat every and when?
Why keeping the fat so low?

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 02:02:14 AM »
Cycle your calories and carbs...And on lower carb days, get yourself some 5.25oz bags of Dave's roasted and Salted sunflower seeds(with the shells)...These things come in tons of different flavors...And the best thing about them is they take atleast 1 hour or more to go through...Perfect when you just sitting around watching TV etc...

And if you can find the Jim Bean Barbeque sunflower seeds, give those a try...These are my favorite..

A 5 oz. bag of these or the Daves have approx/ 400cals---30 fat---20 protein---15 carbs---zero sugar...

These are a good snacking meal that takes time to eat, and relieves your hunger. Just remember to account for the 400 cals and the fat...

`

brudge

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 01:18:55 PM »
I have found that carb cylcing is a good way to lose fat while maintaining muscle. I have two low carb days, 2 extremely low carb days, 1 very high carb day followed by 2 moderate days. Obviously high protein, and try to get your carbs from clean foods excluding the high carb day where you eat everything.

I found this to work well when losing fat and maintaining, and even gaining some muscle size.

SCRUBS

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 03:18:39 PM »
1500 kcal seems realy low-how long have you been back in traing/dieting? It just takes time-be patient and you will achieve your goals.I was say stick to heavy basics with a little cardio.Try to add some extra muscle mass and stoke up your metabolism.

Great advice, i would also like to add, keep your rest between sets to a minimal, this will help achieve a cardio effect. JMHO

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 10:11:07 PM »
you need to completely change what you are doing.

seriously, first you need to change your diet completely to a atkins/ high fat low carb based one - this will reduce the inflamation around your elbows ( under no circumstances should you be getting tendonitus in your elbows when you don't even lift).

if you hate the high fat diet at least start swallowing a table spoon of extra virgin olive oil/cod liver oil/hemp seed oil/ or fresh flax seed twice a day - these have anti inflam, joint support properties, and will also help you with your appetite issues.

within 2-4 weks the inflamation should go down - you could also get some anti inflams from the doctor to help at first.

then i would start lifting very very light weights compound movements - high reps i.e 50-100. treat it like a cardio session, even do hiit while doing squats etc. + your usual cardio.

then once you have been doing this for a month start to lower the calories and increase the weights.

your progress will be consistent for at least 4-5 months.
175lbs by 31st July