Author Topic: Real gym study shows no that gyms do not pose a greater risk than other places  (Read 3020 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
I go to LA Fitness in St. Petersburg Fl. While they have a sign on the door that says "Masks required at all times" due to the latest mask mandate by the city there is a *Wink* small print below that says "Unless you are working out" so while you have to wear the mask at the check in desk you can take it off immediately. I have been going about 3 weeks and I always wear my mask. At first I was about the only one. No one was cleaning machines with any consistency but I always figured that's on me to clean any machine prior to using it. I am happy to say that since Florida has spiked through the roof because of the lack of following guidelines, I'd say in the last week I've seen mask use at about 50%.   

My experience is almost the same as yours. I went to one of the gyms I like to workout at about a week or so after it opened back up. There was no notice about wearing masks at the entrance. This was before Governor Brown mandated masks be worn in public. All of the staff were masked. Not one member there was wearing a mask. I wore mine. Sanitizing equipment before or after use was at best haphazard outside of a couple of the staff who that was all they were doing.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
My experience is almost the same as yours. I went to one of the gyms I like to workout at about a week or so after it opened back up. There was no notice about wearing masks at the entrance. This was before Governor Brown mandated masks be worn in public. All of the staff were masked. Not one member there was wearing a mask. I wore mine. Sanitizing equipment before or after use was at best haphazard outside of a couple of the staff who that was all they were doing.
Don't the barbells and dumbbells rust from constantly being wiped down with liquid?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Don't the barbells and dumbbells rust from constantly being wiped down with liquid?

I don't know. You should go to the gym and check this out.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
I don't know. You should go to the gym and check this out.
I work out at home.  I can only spread the Kung Flu to myself.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
I work out at home.  I can only spread the Kung Flu to myself.

This is an intelligent choice.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Central NY Athletic Club Files Challenge to Executive Orders That Forced Gyms to Close

An athletic club in central New York is suing the state over coronavirus-triggered mandates that forced its gyms to close.

The Aspen Athletic Club filed the lawsuit in a state court last week, arguing that Gov. Andrew Cuomo did not provide any procedural due process before issuing lockdown orders.
The athletic club operates four gyms throughout Onondaga County and employs 160 county residents, according to the lawsuit. Since mid-March and the lawsuit’s filing, the club has been forced to close the fitness facilities due to executive orders from Cuomo, who is listed as a defendant in the suit, according to the litigation.

The club is asking the court for a declaratory judgment that the executive orders violate their constitutional rights. The club is represented in the matter by James G. Mermigis of the Mermigis Law Group.
Central New York is in the final phase of the state’s reopening plan. However, gyms are not listed among the businesses allowed to reopen. The phase does allow for the reopening of higher education, “low-risk” indoor arts and entertainment and professional sports with no fans, among other activities.

As the intensity of the coronavirus crisis has waned in New York, state officials have allowed certain industries to reopen by region.

The athletic club’s lawsuit reflects growing frustration from New York businesses not yet allowed to reopen, but burdened with months of closures and a down economy.
The athletic club owes nearly $400,000 in back rent and 1,400 people have canceled their memberships, according to the lawsuit filed last week. The business cannot afford to stay closed, according to the lawsuit, which said the club can provide its service in a sanitary and socially distanced environment.

The litigation is one in a string of lawsuits over New York’s various coronavirus-induced restrictions.

The lawsuit also noted Cuomo’s comments about demonstrators who had gathered in large crowds to protest the killing of Black Americans by police. The Democrat has expressed support for the demonstrations.

“The only conclusion you draw from that is that thousands of people can march together throughout the State and there is no public health issue for marches, but someone who wants to open their gym with CDC safety guidelines is endangering the public,” the lawsuit reads.

“There is either a public health emergency or there’s not. It cannot be both,” the lawsuit says.

The litigation cites the Fourteenth Amendment and says the executive orders deprived the athletic club of the equal protection of the law.

“In short, [the athletic club] brings this lawsuit to define the limits of a State’s police power,” according to the lawsuit.

https://www.law.com/newyorklawjournal/2020/07/08/central-ny-athletic-club-files-challenge-to-executive-orders-that-forced-gyms-to-close/?cmp_share=share_facebook&fbclid=IwAR0T1vdbuFlkFvrzdH76-v3f0L2wJS8sTLyg3PGZEYoY6KqHNbkc-jMQmZc&slreturn=20200613174600