Author Topic: Most bodybuilders are fools - they think they know everything  (Read 14343 times)

forillagorilla

• Getbig IV
Re: Most bodybuilders are fools.
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 12:14:54 PM »
You know, before I went to university I knew I could be a doctor, architect, lawyer, engineer or anything I desired. What did I end up studying? Philosophy! Everyone is an expert in philosophy! I had one fool tell me that he had a philosophy, too. "What is your philosophy, Armando?" "Well, he said, when I eat, I eat and when I sleep, I sleep!" Brilliant for sure, because who can refute that? The trouble is that philosophy is completely empty and useless.

So I didn't pursue a career in philosophy but became a PE teacher. Then a gym owner. Well, lo and behold, everyone was an expert in exercise and nutrition. The two fields I specialized in and no one recognizes my training and long experience. Even here on Getbig everyone is an expert. I well remember telling Milos Sarcev that I could help him get bigger triceps. Well, that didn't go over well and he was quite annoyed at me. He said that he has tried everything and nothing worked. Well, I told him, he hasn't tried what I advocate. Anyway, we eventually sorted that out but I never did get to explain what I had in mind. I offered to help Luke Wood build his arms bigger but he never showed up at my gym to see what I could do for him. I guess he figured if Milos couldn't get them bigger than no one else could.

Today I saw a guy who was definitely a bodybuilder. I talked to him because he came into a place that I was at. I told him he was a bodybuilder and he told me he was competing soon. I noticed the typical weak arms in that depleted state and told him to come and see me because I could help him get bigger triceps. He told me point blank he didn't want my help! I wasn't charging him. I had nothing to gain. I couldn't believe he said that. What is it with muscleheads? Most are too darn thick to even know what is good advice and what is nonsense. I have 57 years experience and these guys aren't interested in what I have to say. Amazing and very disappointing.

That is why I say most bodybuilders are fools. I don't have to mention stuff like the belief that free weights are better than machines. Nor do I have to tell them that they are ingesting way too much protein. Nope, they already know everything.

Have you ever considered that maybe you don't know as much as you think you do??? From your posts you seem to be very bitter about your life's work and the things that you "could have done" but didn't do..

IronMeister

• Getbig IV
  • Übermacht
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2014, 12:20:24 PM »

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2014, 01:36:14 PM »
You are a fucking idiot so i guess you would not take boxing advice from freddy roach or basketball advice from phil jackson because they dont look the part they are old, manny and the basketball team should get somebody who looks the part and they would do better, get some common sense you dumbfuck.

ahh.. I see the dumbfuck everybody hates (you) replied to my post...

you senseless fucking moron. do you see freddy roach and phil running around offering help to people who aren't asking for it?

no... but you're too clueless to realize that you fucking dicksucking son of a no-teeth meth whore.

did you grow up huffing gas? you have the social skills of a child-rape victim.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2014, 01:43:46 PM »
I would pay good money

to hear you and basille go at it

get him on your radio show

Yes I would pay actual money to listen to this.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2014, 01:47:05 PM »
Melvin, why should I help your radio show get more listeners when you insult me? No thanks, you get what you deserve and you deserve what you get.

You sent a pizza to the guy's hotel room, for Pete's sake, but you can't chat with him for his silly show?

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2014, 02:13:45 PM »

Good question and worthy of a reply. I was interested in some of the findings that Hypertrophy Specific Training claimed. According to them, maximum hypertrophy would require perhaps 8 hours training in one day. If that is true then no sensible person could sustain that protocol. Thus, what is the point at which near maximum hypertrophy is stimulated? When you look at what so many to the top pros are doing and have done over the past 50 years one thing stands out. Lots of sets. The typical protocol is to do several exercises per body part and do each for several sets. If you add these up it means they are doing anywhere from 9 to 25 or so sets per muscle group. A few extremists did even more sets perhaps as many as 50. However, there seems to be a point beyond which you get diminished returns. In other words, if you get a good result from X then doing 2 times X is not going to result in two times the growth.

It would be extremely difficult to determine exactly how much training is required by everyone and then average it out and use that as a target. Instead of doing something that cumbersome I do something completely different. I go to the state induced the next day. That is the key to DOMS training. You try to make your muscles quite sore. The kind of soreness that persists for several days. You don't want to generate acute, painful soreness that restricts any kind of training. You have to avoid damaging the connective tissue. I am certain the muscles themselves will be okay from just about any kind of hypertrophy training. Once you accept the feedback as a guide to hypertrophy it makes all the difference in the world. If you didn't induce sufficient DOMS then you have to return to the gym the next day and try something else. It is as simple as that. If any workouts fail to deliver those target DOMS you have to repeat a workout and try something different. In this way, sustaining the DOMS, it should be possible to grow larger from each workout. That is what I found so I am confident it will work for others.

The theory is simple but the technology applying it is where the problems occur. Some people cannot put sufficiently intense mechanical tension on the target muscle. You have to do this over and over and over and have that intense mechanical tension accumulate. Waste products accumulate. Eventually hypertrophy is triggered and that should be enough. It usually takes over an hour to do the arms properly. Perhaps up to two hours for larger muscles. The total amount of severe, intense mechanical tension in a muscle to generate hypertrophy is probably less than two minutes. It might be the last rep or two in a set to failure. It isn't necessary to do extra stuff beyond failure because more sets with the same resistance will deliver the stimulus.

About progression re resistance and maximum hypertrophy. Well, at the beginning of any programs there will be a rapid increase in strength. This cannot continue indefinitely for obvious reasons. However, the aim is to try to lift heavier weights for the same number of reps. Again, plateaus will appear and progress slows. That is when novelty comes to the rescue. It takes a good mind to be able to figure out new things to do. Many top guys have people smarter than themselves tell them what to do. There are some superior exercises and some that no bodybuilder should do.

The repeated bout effect is to be avoided. That is why we aim to keep the muscles in a state of DOMS. Once the muscle recovers it will take a much more intense workout to stimulate further hypertrophy.

Great advice. I have run into a lot of the same conclusions with my 25+ years of training. How much protein do you think is necessary per pound of bodyweight? .5?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2014, 02:15:49 PM »
I`d like to see Vince lay out the arm routine as he wants it to be performed.

It`s a bit hard for my dumb ass to understand completely how he wants it to be done.

the trainer

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2014, 02:25:23 PM »
ahh.. I see the dumbfuck everybody hates (you) replied to my post...

you senseless fucking moron. do you see freddy roach and phil running around offering help to people who aren't asking for it?

no... but you're too clueless to realize that you fucking dicksucking son of a no-teeth meth whore.

did you grow up huffing gas? you have the social skills of a child-rape victim.

You claim that if he looked the part people would take advice from him so I proved you wrong, you owned yourself without any help from me, you have the IQ level of a retard on LSD.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2014, 02:34:49 PM »
Hard to believe after 70 years of training that someone would still think DOMS is in any way related to muscle growth.

protip, if you thrashed your arms hard enough to tear muscle fibers and cause DOMS then you'll have created inflammation, and fluid will cause temporary swelling.

hope that helps.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2014, 02:40:09 PM »
You claim that if he looked the part people would take advice from him so I proved you wrong, you owned yourself without any help from me, you have the IQ level of a retard on LSD.

read the whole thing.

"owned"? what kind of adult uses terms like that? do you live your life on message boards? what's next? "meltdown"? are you a recovering meth addict?

if he actually looked the part he, maybe people would seek out his advice, instead of him begging people to listen to him.

we see people like him, and most likely you, in the gym all the time.. running around looking for somebody to listen to him give his free advice.. somebody to listen to him. usually some little newbie who doesn't know any better.

fucking losers.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2014, 02:54:13 PM »
Vince never improved his arms after doing those shows. How come? He knows how to gain a quarter inch each workout. Why in the hell would he not do the routine himself... decades went by with no results after those Dianabol cycles.

Has no pupils either. Not one single example of him working his magic.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2014, 03:45:38 PM »
I listened and it helped.  I used to put as much weight as I could on the triceps pushdown and heave my body up and down, then Lee Haney, 6X Mr. Olympia at the time came up to me laughing and moved the pin up, told me to step back, tuck in my elbows and try now.  it was epic.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2014, 05:33:18 PM »
vince your days on earth are soon numbered youre old as fuck.

Everyone has numbered days remaining. Hope this helps.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2014, 05:36:37 PM »
Hard to believe after 70 years of training that someone would still think DOMS is in any way related to muscle growth.

protip, if you thrashed your arms hard enough to tear muscle fibers and cause DOMS then you'll have created inflammation, and fluid will cause temporary swelling.

hope that helps.

It is always refreshing to see the advice of a true authority. Hypertrophy is partly inflammation. The trick is to keep most of that swelling. That is where increasing the resistance helps. There is research that shows that DOMS is accompanied by remodelling, ie, hypertrophy.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2014, 05:38:48 PM »
You sent a pizza to the guy's hotel room, for Pete's sake, but you can't chat with him for his silly show?

Keith sent pizzas to Goodrum, not me. I don't trust that buffoon. He has no integrity so why should I expose myself to his lies and bullshit?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2014, 05:40:04 PM »
Great advice. I have run into a lot of the same conclusions with my 25+ years of training. How much protein do you think is necessary per pound of bodyweight? .5?

Protein ingestion by bodybuilders is excessive. If you eat extra food for the calories you will get sufficient protein. There is no need for any such supplements in a balanced diet.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2014, 05:41:31 PM »
I`d like to see Vince lay out the arm routine as he wants it to be performed.

It`s a bit hard for my dumb ass to understand completely how he wants it to be done.

I have given sufficient information here for others to try the theory. Part of the problem is most gyms don't have the triceps device I would recommend.

Benjamin_pearson

• Getbig II
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2014, 05:43:11 PM »
I have given sufficient information here for others to try the theory. Part of the problem is most gyms don't have the triceps device I would recommend.

Would you go as far as to say the only gym that would buy your equipment would be owned by Shitzo??

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2014, 05:47:15 PM »
I listened and it helped.  I used to put as much weight as I could on the triceps pushdown and heave my body up and down, then Lee Haney, 6X Mr. Olympia at the time came up to me laughing and moved the pin up, told me to step back, tuck in my elbows and try now.  it was epic.

I see videos of some of the pros doing triceps pressdowns. Amazing that they benefit from that exercise. It is effective up to a certain size and afterwards doesn't do much. I think the problem is the elbows can move and when heavier weights are used the elbows move and so the effectiveness evaporates. Also, the triceps need resistance in the last 15 degrees of extension and the pressdowns are not ideal here. That is why putting your arms in a position beside your head is superior.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2014, 05:50:29 PM »
Would you go as far as to say the only gym that would buy your equipment would be owned by Shitzo??

Don't be a FW here, thanks. I don't sell any gym equipment to other gyms.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2014, 05:57:16 PM »

Regardless of all the brutal wars they've fought over the years, when it came time to pose the respect was always there.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2014, 06:00:09 PM »
I don't sell any gym equipment to other gyms.

Speaking somewhat of this, I have a genuine admiration for your metal working skill. Where you formally educated in the trade or did you learn it as a hobbyist?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2014, 06:10:34 PM »
Speaking somewhat of this, I have a genuine admiration for your metal working skill. Where you formally educated in the trade or did you learn it as a hobbyist?

I had a welder show me how to weld with those metal rods. Now I can do Tig and Mig welding. I built my biceps-supinator all by myself. I balked at the idea and it took me a few years to actually proceed. In the end I was pleased with my invention.

I made something that Arthur Jones never conceived or built. So I am self-taught. I read welding manuals and other publications that helped fitting and turning. I eventually acquired enough machines for an engineering factory.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2014, 06:21:54 PM »
I had a welder show me how to weld with those metal rods. Now I can do Tig and Mig welding. I built my biceps-supinator all by myself. I balked at the idea and it took me a few years to actually proceed. In the end I was pleased with my invention.

I made something that Arthur Jones never conceived or built. So I am self-taught. I read welding manuals and other publications that helped fitting and turning. I eventually acquired enough machines for an engineering factory.

Thanks for the answer, I always admire when someone takes an idea that's been roaming around in their head and turns it into something physical.

Benjamin_pearson

• Getbig II
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2014, 06:27:45 PM »
Thanks for the answer, I always admire when someone takes an idea that's been roaming around in their head and turns it into something physical.

O brother you must be well liked when yo gotta be a bassile guy.... Hahaha  ::)