Author Topic: 19 Years and £1 Million Later, a Past Catches Up  (Read 1830 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
19 Years and £1 Million Later, a Past Catches Up
« on: February 15, 2012, 11:34:25 AM »
Truth is stranger than fiction!  They have got to make a movie out of this.  :-[

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/us/british-robbery-suspect-edward-maher-arrested-in-missouri.html?_r=2&hpw#commentsContainer

• Nineteen years ago, the man robs a bank in England and escapes to the U.S. with his wife and small child. 
• He lives and works on the lam for years using a fake identity
• the loot is never found
• he files for bankruptcy in 2010
• his son wins $100,000 with a scratch lottery ticket
• His youngest son (22) has five kids with four different women
• daughter-in-law turns in the robber to local law enforcement
• local law enforcement tries to contact England to verify the facts but their calling plan does not allow international calls.

irishdave

• Getbig V
  • It ain’t over ‘TIL it’s over
Re: 19 Years and £1 Million Later, a Past Catches Up
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:38:24 AM »
Truth is stranger than fiction!  They have got to make a movie out of this.  :-[

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/us/british-robbery-suspect-edward-maher-arrested-in-missouri.html?_r=2&hpw#commentsContainer

• Nineteen years ago, the man robs a bank in England and escapes to the U.S. with his wife and small child. 
• He lives and works on the lam for years using a fake identity
• the loot is never found
• he files for bankruptcy in 2010
• his son wins $100,000 with a scratch lottery ticket
• His youngest son (22) has five kids with four different women
• daughter-in-law turns in the robber to local law enforcement
• local law enforcement tries to contact England to verify the facts but their calling plan does not allow international calls.

Eddie Maher - that's a good Irish name, stealing cash from them Brits, good on ya Eddie boyo!!

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:40:57 AM »
karma is a bitch

Brocty

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 11:42:53 AM »
22 years old, 5 kids, 4 different girls.  Fail much?

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:50:47 AM »
Eddie Maher - that's a good Irish name, stealing cash from them Brits, good on ya Eddie boyo!!

Bogtrotting fenien bastard was a criminal what surprise as usual rather rob the money than to work like everybody else

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »
Family of £1.3m fugitive found after 19 years vow to follow him when he is sent back to Britain
Wife pledges to follow him to UK if he's extradited
By Daniel Bates

The family of the British man arrested in the U.S. after 19 years on the run are to join him in the UK when he is extradited home, the Daily Mail can reveal.

‘Fast’ Eddie Maher’s wife Deborah and their two sons said they had to move because their lives in America have been ‘frozen’ as they are effectively illegal immigrants.

His son Lee revealed that the change will be especially hard for him as he is an ‘All American male’ who served in the U.S. military and only knows Britain through films like ‘Snatch’.

The 22-year-old also told for the first time of the moment when his father revealed that everything he knew about himself was a lie - and that he was really born in Dagenham, East London.

Maher was arrested earlier this week after allegedly being on the run since January 1993 over the theft of £1.3million from the Securicor van he was driving through Felixstowe, Suffolk.

Now living in a modest £40,000 home in the semi-rural backwater of Ozark, Missouri, he was charged with being an illegal alien in possession of two rifles and pistols.

Any sign of his ‘fortune’ has long gone - by the time he declared bankruptcy in November 2010 he had just £54 in his bank account.

Speaking exclusively to the Daily Mail, Mr Brett, 22, gave the most in-depth account so far of his on the run with his father, mother Deborah Brett and 14-year-old brother.

He said their illusion fell apart on Wednesday night when Maher finally told them the truth - and that he was called Lee Brett, not Lee King as he had always known himself.

Maher, 56, said his son that he had not in fact been born in New Hampshire and showed him his British birth certificate for the first time with the words: ‘This is you’

Mr Brett said: ‘It blew my mind. I still can’t get my head around it. All my life I’ve been Lee King, that’s all I’ve known.

‘Now it turns out I was born in Britain and I have second birth certificate’.

He added: ‘My parents lied to me but they have had their reasons. Of course I wish it had not happened but it has. There is nothing I can do about it and there’s no point getting angry.

‘What has happened does not change my opinion of my dad. One stupid mistake is not going to change the fact he was always there for me and would do anything for me.’

Mr Brett said that when he was younger his father worked for Nielsen ratings agency and claimed he had to move around a lot because he was always getting promoted.

He used to take Mr Brett elk hunting and, despite being British, bonded with his son over their shared love of American football, wrestling and baseball.

But all that will now have to change - as Mr Brett was born in Britain, it effectively means he has been living illegally in the US his whole life, as has his mother.

Mr Brett said: ‘I can’t work here, my life is frozen and I can’t do anything.

‘We’ve decided to move to England as it’s the best thing to do. We just want to be with Dad and things are as to stay here will be really complicated.

‘I don’t know anything about England and all I know is from films like Snatch and The Italian Job.

‘It’s dreary, there is actual history and people drive on the left in England, that’s about it, I have no other preconceptions.’

He added: ‘I don’t know how I’ll adjust because I’m an all-American man and I’ ve always thought of myself that way. I’ve wrestled, played American football, I love baseball and I served in the military.

‘The only time I’ve been out of the U.S. was when I served in Afghanistan. I’ve worked as a fireman here so maybe I can do that in England’.

Maher appeared calm during his brief appearance in federal court in Springfield, Missouri on Thursday.

He is in the custody of U.S. marshals and has been scheduled for a preliminary hearing on February 22.

FBI spokeswoman Bridget Patton said federal officials do not know what happened to the money Maher allegedly stole.

Suffolk Police have said they plan to extradite him.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 12:53:24 PM »
bay did you see the movie i love you phillip morris ? crazy funny true story

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 02:44:41 PM »
goes bankrupt... what a mongo

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 02:58:46 PM »
only a dumbass would come to the usa in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Train_Robbery_(1963)

one (i dont remember which one) of these guys ran off to santa teresa, brasil with a shitload and still lives.  as the story goes, he operates a restaurant.  brasil and argentina don't deport or arrest criminals.  just pay for your visa 50-100k and spend the money in either country and the crooks look the other way.  with no natural enemy states, they can point the middle finger at uncle sam.

why would anyone come to the usa?  plenty of douchebag safe havens around the world to take your stolen money.

that goes for kim dot com too.  he should have taken half that $170M and got out of Germany and New Zealand.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 05:46:44 PM »
So he never spent the money?  ???
A

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 05:53:07 PM »
only a dumbass would come to the usa in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Train_Robbery_(1963)

one (i dont remember which one) of these guys ran off to santa teresa, brasil with a shitload and still lives.  as the story goes, he operates a restaurant.  brasil and argentina don't deport or arrest criminals.  just pay for your visa 50-100k and spend the money in either country and the crooks look the other way.  with no natural enemy states, they can point the middle finger at uncle sam.

why would anyone come to the usa?  plenty of douchebag safe havens around the world to take your stolen money.

that goes for kim dot com too.  he should have taken half that $170M and got out of Germany and New Zealand.
Didn't Brazil and Argentina arrest and deport a shitload of Nazi war criminals?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 07:27:10 PM »
Didn't Brazil and Argentina arrest and deport a shitload of Nazi war criminals?

Show me evidence, big man.  more crooks per sq inch in brasil than the USA congress.  argentines are too busy telling everyone they are like europe, so to them German enhances their stock.