Author Topic: Americans angry over US-Mexico border fence  (Read 9383 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Americans angry over US-Mexico border fence
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2008, 09:05:55 AM »
Decker, question:   Do you see illegal aliens in America as a problem?
good question i think this is why the difference in opinions...

I seem to be under the impression that illegals pump hundreds of billions of dollars into the US economy in both tax payments and spending.  But wait, your side shouts, there's a Heritage Foundation study that shows...."
i think this says it all

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2008, 09:09:52 AM »
So it was, so it was.  Actually I was referring to estimates of the long term costs of the 1.2 billion dollar fence.  The fact of the matter is still that your fuckin fence covers less than a third of the border.  All your talk about a 'natural' barrier, impassable I'd guess, that supplements the fence is just wishful thinking. 

You got your fence.  Now we'll see more illegals just get temporary visas and disappear into the crowd.  How's your fence handling that?
GEZZZ louise man are you that ignorant about any sort of knowledge on this? Not all the land is inhospitible but if some is and you put a fence up on the parts that arent or the parts that are the most crossed over regions i.e. city areas or close to city areas then where do you think they will cross over? probably the areas that arent covered by a fence that is the best suited to support them during their travel correct? well if you know this you can concentrate more energy there then alond the entire border dont you agree?

AGAIN
maybe we are miscommunicating a bit here im not saying this will solve our immigration problem. what im saying is that this will help the immigration problem more so than you give credit to it...you base your opinion off of pictures and videos and im the misinformed one? There are many many problems that need to be addressed and them crossing the border is one of them, not by any means the only or most important one but an important one none the less.

You seem to be under the thinking that these ppl go undetected through our systems...these ppl use our medical facilities, our jails, our employeers, our check cashing business b/c they dont have banking accounts...there are many ways to find these ppl. We dont necissarily need a force designated to round them up...they come into a hosptial you call the cops, they get arrested they get deported, you dont cash their checks with out some sort of proof they are a citizen...they will leave i promise.
reread this...

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2008, 10:16:08 AM »
Decker, question:   Do you see illegal aliens in America as a problem?
Yes.  The US has implemented a procedure for legal immigration.  Illegals fly in the face of that lawful process.  To me, a better way of spending enforcement dollars is to hire more INS agents for more effective, widespread sweeps to round up unlawfuls and process their punishment in a more economic way--either go with deportation--which is just throwing 'em back so they can try again--or some sort of punishment that will benefit the State and will also incorporate steps to citizenship....sort of like the rehabilitation of convicts.

While they are cleaning our highways or making license plates, they are also earning credit/education towards citizenship.

The US still takes the huddled masses, they just have to stand in line to get here.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »

"While they are cleaning our highways or making license plates, they are also earning credit/education towards citizenship."

And guess who is against that plan????????????????????????

The Unions!

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2008, 11:31:53 AM »
"While they are cleaning our highways or making license plates, they are also earning credit/education towards citizenship."

And guess who is against that plan????????????????????????

The Unions!

I doubt it.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2008, 11:57:32 AM »
"We dont punish employers like we should and make it far too easy for these people to collect welfare, send their anchor babies to school, and to leech off the system.

If we want to solve this mess, we simply need to make it very difficult for them to operate here".
----------------------

If you take away the benefits, there will be less people looking to get in illegally.  If we want them to become productive citizens, there must be rewards/incentive for citizenship.  IMO, the key is punishing the employers and giving benefits only if they are citizens or on a monitored path to citizenship.

The more illegals that cross our borders, the more power the illegals have in changing our country from the inside.  Becoming a legal citizen makes them feel like a real part of America and their hard work is admired and respected. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2008, 12:13:57 PM »
I doubt it.

Who do you think it the biggest road block to prison labor cleaning up trash and being productive??????

UNIONS.

Unions are the biggest obtacle to progress in many areas.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2008, 12:19:50 PM »
Patton shot two of Pancho Villa's men and tied them to his car and drove them back to the base.

I saw a show about Patton on TV the other night.  He was a hell of a guy.

S

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2008, 12:22:08 PM »
I saw a show about Patton on TV the other night.  He was a hell of a guy.

Patton is my historical favorite person of all time. 

Many people know of his WW2 exploits, but know little of how he was in the Olympics, kicked ass on the Mexican border, and was shot in WW1.

Patton was a flawed person, but a genius at war and the reality of combat.

Read a book about Patton.  The man was amazing.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2008, 12:26:28 PM »
Yes.  The US has implemented a procedure for legal immigration.  Illegals fly in the face of that lawful process.  To me, a better way of spending enforcement dollars is to hire more INS agents for more effective, widespread sweeps to round up unlawfuls and process their punishment in a more economic way--either go with deportation--which is just throwing 'em back so they can try again--or some sort of punishment that will benefit the State and will also incorporate steps to citizenship....sort of like the rehabilitation of convicts.

While they are cleaning our highways or making license plates, they are also earning credit/education towards citizenship.

The US still takes the huddled masses, they just have to stand in line to get here.
another question while in these punishment/rehabilitation processes are they allowed to live at home or in jail? if they are allowed to live at home whats to stop them from leaving for another town to find work which will undoubtedly pay better than the government...if they are to stay in jail we will still be footing the bill as tax payers for food, supervision etc...

throwing them back over wont do anything as long as they can just walk right back across...i.e. a big wall might stop that.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2008, 12:38:43 PM »
another question while in these punishment/rehabilitation processes are they allowed to live at home or in jail? if they are allowed to live at home whats to stop them from leaving for another town to find work which will undoubtedly pay better than the government...if they are to stay in jail we will still be footing the bill as tax payers for food, supervision etc...

throwing them back over wont do anything as long as they can just walk right back across...i.e. a big wall might stop that.

A wall is not the end all and be all, it will stop a lot of them, but not all.

Other measures, like taxing foreign remittances to Mexico, ending welfare to illegals, ending the anchor baby situation, will also help.

Fining employers will also help.

All of this together would make a serious dent in the problem. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2008, 12:55:24 PM »
Who do you think it the biggest road block to prison labor cleaning up trash and being productive??????

UNIONS.

Decrying the misuse of labor is a far cry from what you're stating.  You paint with too broad a brush.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2008, 12:58:14 PM »

The demand for the labor these people provide will keep 'em comin'.

It's an ongoing problem that a giant fence can't solve.

Fake IDs lead to new VISAs and more illegals.  Your wall won't stop it.  Your wall won't slow it.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2008, 01:09:21 PM »
1 in 10 Americans are under or at the poverty line.  These Americans should be doing some of the work the illegals pick up.  I hate hearing "they are doing jobs Americans won't do".  If you are empoverished, you do whatever f'n work is available to feed your kids and have some kind of pride. 

On a related note, illegals are hired to do all sorts of work, its not just farming and landscaping like some think.  Many illegals quickly learn a trade and are much cheaper to hire than union laborers...there again punishing the employer applies.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2008, 01:12:57 PM »
1 in 10 Americans are under or at the poverty line.  These Americans should be doing some of the work the illegals pick up.  I hate hearing "they are doing jobs Americans won't do".  If you are empoverished, you do whatever f'n work is available to feed your kids and have some kind of pride. 

On a related note, illegals are hired to do all sorts of work, its not just farming and landscaping like some think.  Many illegals quickly learn a trade and are much cheaper to hire than union laborers...there again punishing the employer applies.

Almost all of my clients are in the construction business in NYC.  They hire illegals for the following reasons:

1.  Work cheaper and are easier to intimidate.
2.  Are reliable to shop up because they know they can be fired instantly and more will always fill in.
3.  Will work for cash and dont care about being covered by workers comp, etc.
4.  Dont speak English and thus cant talk back.  They are like slaves.
5.  Usually dont report the employer for unsafe work conditions.
6.  Do not support familes in the US, thus requiring higher wages.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2008, 01:20:20 PM »

My brother's company gets a lot of illegals as workers.  INS sweeps through regularly.  It's a vicious cycle.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2008, 02:32:26 PM »

UNIONS.

This is true.

In Oregon they don't use the prisoners anymore to clean highways because the unions complained so much. Back in the 90's the voters passed a measure that said that prisoners with greater than 1 year sentance and with non-violent crimes had to put in a 40 hour week doing some sort of public service (cleaning roads, building forest trails, eco-restoration), and the unions sued the state continuously until the whole thing was shut down cold.

I can see where they are coming from... Hard to get prevailing wage when the government can get labor (akin to hispanic labor at least) for 15 cents an hour for the same job description.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2008, 02:38:57 PM »

Take a good look and I think you will see that the majority of people who live in poverty do so voluntarily. They frequently flat out refuse to work or get educated and improve their state in life. And why should they, when their basic needs (food stamps, housing credits, WIC) are all met?

This is why poverty and it's associated activities will never be solved through handouts. It's like feeding a stray cat will not make it hunt. Cut off the majority of welfare programs, and MAKE people in poverty earn their keep. THEN there is an incentive to be a little proactive about your lot in life...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2008, 02:41:49 PM »
But who gets the shaft?????  The taxpayer.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2008, 02:53:06 PM »
The demand for the labor these people provide will keep 'em comin'.

It's an ongoing problem that a giant fence can't solve.

Fake IDs lead to new VISAs and more illegals.  Your wall won't stop it.  Your wall won't slow it.
again i agree with you that a wall wont solve the problem but it is PART of the solution not THE SOLUTION, if you really think that it wont slow them down your an ignorant fool and need to visit this region instead of just looking at pictures and videos.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2008, 02:56:58 PM »
Take a good look and I think you will see that the majority of people who live in poverty do so voluntarily. They frequently flat out refuse to work or get educated and improve their state in life. And why should they, when their basic needs (food stamps, housing credits, WIC) are all met?

This is why poverty and it's associated activities will never be solved through handouts. It's like feeding a stray cat will not make it hunt. Cut off the majority of welfare programs, and MAKE people in poverty earn their keep. THEN there is an incentive to be a little proactive about your lot in life...
very very true, i dont know about the majority but a damn good number of ppl chose to live a certain lifestyle...just like certain ppl chose to be succesful its not a good hand this bad hand that its hard work this and no work that.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »
again i agree with you that a wall wont solve the problem but it is PART of the solution not THE SOLUTION, if you really think that it wont slow them down your an ignorant fool and need to visit this region instead of just looking at pictures and videos.
I don't have to walk every mile of the fence to know it's a loser proposition under a cost/benefit analysis.

Maybe your on the outside Buddy but in case you haven't noticed, the US doesn't have the 1.2 billion dollars to pay for fucking fences.  Instead of admitting this and that another fence is sort of stupid idea, you cling like dingleberries to the notion that the fence really is doing some good.

The cost of building and maintaining a double set of steel fences along 700 miles of the U.S.-Mexico border could be five to 25 times greater than congressional leaders forecast last year, or as much as $49 billion over the expected 25-year life span of the fence, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/08/BAG6RNEJJG1.DTL

Here's a test for you;
Will The Border Fence Work Ya Think?
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/nomads/will-the-border-fence-work.html

A two billion dollar 700 mile fence.

Take a quiz and see if you think if it’s worth it:

Quiz on Undocumented Immigration

True or False:
1. _____ Up to 45% of undocumented immigrants entered the U.S. with valid documentation which has expired.

2. _____ More immigrants come to the U.S. illegally than legally.

3. _____ The IRS encourages undocumented workers to file income taxes by providing them with an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.

4. _____ Undocumented immigrants may not be refused medical treatment in U.S. emergency rooms. Therefore these immigrants burden hospitals at a higher rate than the native-born.

5. _____ Undocumented men have a 96% labor force participation rate.

6. _____ 0% of 9/11 terrorist attackers arrived without authorization.

7. _____ States make the decision whether undocumented students are allowed access to K-12 public school

8. _____ Border control efforts have been successful in reducing immigration levels.

9. _____ It is estimated that building a 700-mile physical wall on the U.S.-Mexico border would cost $2.2 billion in taxpayer dollars.

Multiple Choice

1. Undocumented immigrants make up approximately what percent of the total U.S. population?
A. 3-5%
B. 10%
C. 25-50%

2. Undocumented immigrants are eligible for which of the following benefits?
A. TANF (cash support)
B. Food Stamps
C. Medicaid
D. None of the above

3. Undocumented immigrants have played an integral role in financing Social Security as the U.S. population ages. A study in 2005 found that undocumented immigrants pay HOW MUCH in Social Security taxes that they will never be able to claim?
A. $4 billion
B. $6-7 billion
C. $10-12 billion

4. As border security has intensified, passage through the inhospitable deserts where there is less vigilance has led to increasing numbers of deaths of migrants due to exposure and drowning. In 2007 the number of migrant deaths discovered on the Arizona border alone was
A. 44
B. 168
C. 237

5. Approximately how many undocumented children are there in the United States ? (of a total of 12 million undocumented persons)
Half a million
A. 1.8 million
B. 2.5 million

6. Of the undocumented population, approximately what percentage comes from Mexico ?
A. 57%
B. 23%
C. 10%
D. 5%

7. What percentage of the U.S. workforce is undocumented?
A. 1%
B. 5%
C. 9%
D. 15%

8. The long waits for the admission of family members of legal permanent residents leads to undocumented immigration. How long would it take for a lawful permanent resident from Mexico to legally bring her two-year old son to join her in the U.S. ?
A. 6 months
B. 1.5 years
C. 2-4 years
D. 4-7 years

Reyes, Belinda I. et. al. “The Effect of the Recent Border Build-up on Unauthorized Immigration.” 2002. Public Policy Institute of California . Accessed in August 2006 from http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/report/R_702BRR.pdf.

Answers

True / False

1. True: Up to 45% of undocumented immigrants entered the U.S. with valid documentation which has expired while 55% have entered without authorization. [1]

2. False: The Urban Institute estimates that in the past decade, legal immigration has averaged 800.000 persons a year, and net immigration has averaged 500,000 persons a year. Note: In general estimates on illegal immigration are difficult because the same person may cross back and forth across the border multiple times inflating the number of perceived immigrants. [2]

3. True In addition to paying sales and property taxes, undocumented workers who do not have a Social Security Number are able to file income taxes using an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). This special number, created by the IRS, allows individuals to pay taxes regardless of their immigration status.

4. False While undocumented immigrants do have access to emergency assistance, a recent report revealed that they do not put any more burden on hospitals than the U.S.-born do.[3]

5. True Undocumented men have a 96% labor force participation rate.[4] This rate exceeds that of legal immigrants and U.S. citizens, suggesting very high self-sufficiency among undocumented men.

6. True 0% of 9/11 terrorist attackers arrived without authorization.[5]

7. False A Supreme Court decision in 1982, Plyler v. Doe, held that governments must provide the same free public education to undocumented children as they provide to other children.[6] This decision was based on the desire to prevent a permanent underclass and to avoid punishing children for actions of their parents.[7]

8. False In 1993, the Border Patrol was making slightly less than 1 million apprehensions a year. Thirteen years later, the Border Patrol is making over 1 million apprehensions each year.[8] Border control efforts have led to more deaths and human smuggling, and have actually increased the rate of permanent settlement in the U.S.[9]

9. True It is estimated that building a 700-mile physical wall on the U.S.-Mexico border would cost $2.2 billion in taxpayer dollars[10]

Multiple Choice

1. Answer A : Recent estimates show the total population of undocumented persons in the U.S. is approximately 11-12 million.[11] Even the highest estimate accounts for less than 4% of the U.S. population (approximately 296 million)

2. Answer D: In 1996, a federal law was passed that heavily restricted legal and illegal immigrants from utilizing public assistance programs. Undocumented immigrants are excluded from all federal public welfare programs.[12] The only assistance they may receive is medical attention in the emergency room.

3. Answer B: Undocumented immigrants have played an integral role in financing Social Security as the U.S. population ages. A study in 2005 found that undocumented immigrants pay HOW MUCH in Social Security taxes that they will never be able to claim?[13]

4. Answer C: With no official record-keeping system, the exact number of illegal entrants who have died along the Arizona stretch of U.S.-Mexican border has never been known. In the summer of 2004, the Arizona Daily Star started compiling border deaths recorded by the Pima, Santa Cruz, Cochise and Yuma County medical examiners in an effort to present an accurate tally of the numbers of people who die crossing into the United States illegally through Southern Arizona. In fiscal year 2007, 237 bodies were found.[14]

5. Answer B: 1.8 million are children.[15] There are approximately 1.3 million children who have lived in the U.S. for five or more years and who were enrolled in K-12 schools in the year 2002.[16]

6. Answer A: Of the undocumented population, approximately 57% come from Mexico, 23% come from the rest of Latin America, 10% come from Asia, 5% come from Europe and Canada, and 5% come from other areas.[17] These statistics reflect many stories – the absence of available visas, U.S. labor market demand, past and present U.S. trade policies, and growing economic disparities between nations.

7. Answer B: Unauthorized immigrants represent 5% of the U.S. labor force.[18]
Much of this labor force participation is concentrated in construction and service sectors.[19] Top economists argue that immigrant labor is vital to our economy and boosts our labor force.[20]

8. Answer D: Due to bureaucratic backlogs and visa limitations, a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) trying to bring a spouse or child from Mexico must wait 4-7 years.[21]
Sources

[1] Pew Hispanic Center. “Modes of Entry for the Unauthorized Migrant Population.” May 22, 2006.

[2] Capps, Randy and Fix, Michael. Ündocumented Immigrants: Myths and Reality,¨ Urban Institute and Migration Policy Institute. October 2005.

[3] Cunningham, Peter J. “What Accounts For Differences In The Use Of Hospital Emergency Departments Across U.S. Communities?” Health Affairs. July 18, 2006. Accessed July 2006 from healthaffairs site

[4] Passel et al. “Undocumented Immigrants: Facts and Figures.” Urban Institute. January 12, 2004. Accessed June, 2006 at http://www.urban.org/publications/1000587.html.

[5] Appleseed. “Forcing Our Blues Into Gray Areas: Local Police and Federal Immigration Enforcement.” p. 5. January, 2006. Accessed August, 2006 from: http://appleseeds.net/servlet/PublicationInfo?articleId=70.

[6] Plyler v. Doe, 452 U.S. 202, 223 (1982).

[7] Weissbrodt, David and Danielson, Laura. Immigration Law and Procedure. 5th Edition. Thomson West. 2005. p. 527

[8] Wayne A. Cornelius. “Impacts of Border Enforcement on Unauthorized Mexican Migration to the United States” Sep 26, 2006. Accessed in June 2008 at http://borderbattles.ssrc.org/Cornelius/

[9] Wayne A. Cornelius, Death at the Border: Efficacy and Unintended Consequences of U.S. Immigration Control Policy, 27(4) POPULATION AND DEVELOPMENT REVIEW 669 (2001).

[10] National Network for Immigrant and Refugee Rights. “Immigration Proposal Comparisons: Bush, Sensenbrenner, Specter.” March, 2006. Accessed August, 2006 from: http://www.nnirr.org/projects/immigrationreform/Bush_Sensenbrenner_Specter.pdf#search=

%22wall%2C%20Mexico%2C%20cost%2C%20immigration%22.

[11] Urban Institute. “Children of Undocumented Immigrants.” May 16, 2006. Accessed August, 2006 from: http://www.urban.org/publications/900955.html.

[12] Fix, Michael and Haskins, Ron. ¨Welfare Benefits for Non-citizens.¨ The Brookings Institution. Policy Brief #15. 2002.

[13] Capps, Randy and Fix, Michael. “Undocumented Immigrants: Myths and Reality.” The Urban Institute and the Migration Policy Institute. Oct, 2005. Accessed January 2006 from: http://www.urban.org/publications/900898.html.

[14] “Death on the Border. Arizona Daily Star. Accessed June 2008 from: http://regulus.azstarnet.com/borderdeaths/search.php

[15] “Recently Arrived Migrants and the Congressional Debate on Immigration.” Pew Hispanic Center. April, 2006.

[16] Protopsaltis, Spiros. “Undocumented Immigrant Students and Access to Higher Education: An Overview of Federal and State Policy.” The Bell Policy Center. 2005. Accessed Feb. 06 from: http://www.thebell.org/pdf/UndocumentedStudents_HigherEd.pdf.

[17] “Undocumented Immigrants: Facts and Figures.” Urban Institute. January 2004. Accessed June, 2006 at http://www.urban.org/publications/1000587.html.

[18] Passel et al. “Undocumented Immigrants: Facts and Figures.” Urban Institute. January 12, 2004. Accessed June, 2006 at http://www.urban.org/publications/1000587.html.

[19] “The Labor Force Status of Short-Term Unauthorized Workers.” Pew Hispanic Center. April 13, 2006

[20] The Independent Institute. Open Letter on Immigration. June 19, 2006. Accessed July 2006 from: http://www.independent.org/newsroom/article.asp?id=1727 and Peri, Giovanni, Ph.D. “Immigrants, Skills, and Wages: Measuring the Economic Gains from Immigration.” Immigration Policy In Focus. Vol. 5, Issue 3. p.4. March 2003.

[21] United States Department of State. “Visa Bulletin.” August 2006. Number 96 Volume VII. Washington D.C. Accessed in July 2006 from http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_2978.html.

"Wall or no wall, I will try at least three times," said Martinez, who said he would try to cross by himself through Tecate, a mountainous town about 35 miles east of Tijuana. "I have three girls that I have to support, and in Mexico there is no work."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2008, 08:26:59 AM »
I have no problem not paying 2 billion for a wall if I know they will spend 2 billion on new ICE officers and immigration courts to deport illegal aliens.

I also want to see the USA demand reperations from Mexico for the costs we have to spend on prisons for many of the pedophiles and sexual predators they send here.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2008, 02:13:20 PM »
Not gonna happen. It's absolutly amazing the extent our government will bend over to politically appease and accommodate the mexican state.

Hell, Vincinte Fox even came to Washington to protest the building of the origional border wall back in the day...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2008, 02:15:31 PM »
I don't have to walk every mile of the fence to know it's a loser proposition under a cost/benefit analysis.

Maybe your on the outside Buddy but in case you haven't noticed, the US doesn't have the 1.2 billion dollars to pay for fucking fences.  Instead of admitting this and that another fence is sort of stupid idea, you cling like dingleberries to the notion that the fence really is doing some good.

The cost of building and maintaining a double set of steel fences along 700 miles of the U.S.-Mexico border could be five to 25 times greater than congressional leaders forecast last year, or as much as $49 billion over the expected 25-year life span of the fence, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/08/BAG6RNEJJG1.DTL

Here's a test for you;
Will The Border Fence Work Ya Think?
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/nomads/will-the-border-fence-work.html

A two billion dollar 700 mile fence.

Take a quiz and see if you think if it’s worth it:

Quiz on Undocumented Immigration

True or False:
1. _____ Up to 45% of undocumented immigrants entered the U.S. with valid documentation which has expired.

2. _____ More immigrants come to the U.S. illegally than legally.

3. _____ The IRS encourages undocumented workers to file income taxes by providing them with an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.

4. _____ Undocumented immigrants may not be refused medical treatment in U.S. emergency rooms. Therefore these immigrants burden hospitals at a higher rate than the native-born.

5. _____ Undocumented men have a 96% labor force participation rate.

6. _____ 0% of 9/11 terrorist attackers arrived without authorization.

7. _____ States make the decision whether undocumented students are allowed access to K-12 public school

8. _____ Border control efforts have been successful in reducing immigration levels.

9. _____ It is estimated that building a 700-mile physical wall on the U.S.-Mexico border would cost $2.2 billion in taxpayer dollars.

Multiple Choice

1. Undocumented immigrants make up approximately what percent of the total U.S. population?
A. 3-5%
B. 10%
C. 25-50%

2. Undocumented immigrants are eligible for which of the following benefits?
A. TANF (cash support)
B. Food Stamps
C. Medicaid
D. None of the above

3. Undocumented immigrants have played an integral role in financing Social Security as the U.S. population ages. A study in 2005 found that undocumented immigrants pay HOW MUCH in Social Security taxes that they will never be able to claim?
A. $4 billion
B. $6-7 billion
C. $10-12 billion

4. As border security has intensified, passage through the inhospitable deserts where there is less vigilance has led to increasing numbers of deaths of migrants due to exposure and drowning. In 2007 the number of migrant deaths discovered on the Arizona border alone was
A. 44
B. 168
C. 237

5. Approximately how many undocumented children are there in the United States ? (of a total of 12 million undocumented persons)
Half a million
A. 1.8 million
B. 2.5 million

6. Of the undocumented population, approximately what percentage comes from Mexico ?
A. 57%
B. 23%
C. 10%
D. 5%

7. What percentage of the U.S. workforce is undocumented?
A. 1%
B. 5%
C. 9%
D. 15%

8. The long waits for the admission of family members of legal permanent residents leads to undocumented immigration. How long would it take for a lawful permanent resident from Mexico to legally bring her two-year old son to join her in the U.S. ?
A. 6 months
B. 1.5 years
C. 2-4 years
D. 4-7 years

Reyes, Belinda I. et. al. “The Effect of the Recent Border Build-up on Unauthorized Immigration.” 2002. Public Policy Institute of California . Accessed in August 2006 from http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/report/R_702BRR.pdf.

Answers

True / False

1. True: Up to 45% of undocumented immigrants entered the U.S. with valid documentation which has expired while 55% have entered without authorization. [1]

2. False: The Urban Institute estimates that in the past decade, legal immigration has averaged 800.000 persons a year, and net immigration has averaged 500,000 persons a year. Note: In general estimates on illegal immigration are difficult because the same person may cross back and forth across the border multiple times inflating the number of perceived immigrants. [2]

3. True In addition to paying sales and property taxes, undocumented workers who do not have a Social Security Number are able to file income taxes using an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). This special number, created by the IRS, allows individuals to pay taxes regardless of their immigration status.

4. False While undocumented immigrants do have access to emergency assistance, a recent report revealed that they do not put any more burden on hospitals than the U.S.-born do.[3]

5. True Undocumented men have a 96% labor force participation rate.[4] This rate exceeds that of legal immigrants and U.S. citizens, suggesting very high self-sufficiency among undocumented men.

6. True 0% of 9/11 terrorist attackers arrived without authorization.[5]

7. False A Supreme Court decision in 1982, Plyler v. Doe, held that governments must provide the same free public education to undocumented children as they provide to other children.[6] This decision was based on the desire to prevent a permanent underclass and to avoid punishing children for actions of their parents.[7]

8. False In 1993, the Border Patrol was making slightly less than 1 million apprehensions a year. Thirteen years later, the Border Patrol is making over 1 million apprehensions each year.[8] Border control efforts have led to more deaths and human smuggling, and have actually increased the rate of permanent settlement in the U.S.[9]

9. True It is estimated that building a 700-mile physical wall on the U.S.-Mexico border would cost $2.2 billion in taxpayer dollars[10]

Multiple Choice

1. Answer A : Recent estimates show the total population of undocumented persons in the U.S. is approximately 11-12 million.[11] Even the highest estimate accounts for less than 4% of the U.S. population (approximately 296 million)

2. Answer D: In 1996, a federal law was passed that heavily restricted legal and illegal immigrants from utilizing public assistance programs. Undocumented immigrants are excluded from all federal public welfare programs.[12] The only assistance they may receive is medical attention in the emergency room.

3. Answer B: Undocumented immigrants have played an integral role in financing Social Security as the U.S. population ages. A study in 2005 found that undocumented immigrants pay HOW MUCH in Social Security taxes that they will never be able to claim?[13]

4. Answer C: With no official record-keeping system, the exact number of illegal entrants who have died along the Arizona stretch of U.S.-Mexican border has never been known. In the summer of 2004, the Arizona Daily Star started compiling border deaths recorded by the Pima, Santa Cruz, Cochise and Yuma County medical examiners in an effort to present an accurate tally of the numbers of people who die crossing into the United States illegally through Southern Arizona. In fiscal year 2007, 237 bodies were found.[14]

5. Answer B: 1.8 million are children.[15] There are approximately 1.3 million children who have lived in the U.S. for five or more years and who were enrolled in K-12 schools in the year 2002.[16]

6. Answer A: Of the undocumented population, approximately 57% come from Mexico, 23% come from the rest of Latin America, 10% come from Asia, 5% come from Europe and Canada, and 5% come from other areas.[17] These statistics reflect many stories – the absence of available visas, U.S. labor market demand, past and present U.S. trade policies, and growing economic disparities between nations.

7. Answer B: Unauthorized immigrants represent 5% of the U.S. labor force.[18]
Much of this labor force participation is concentrated in construction and service sectors.[19] Top economists argue that immigrant labor is vital to our economy and boosts our labor force.[20]

8. Answer D: Due to bureaucratic backlogs and visa limitations, a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) trying to bring a spouse or child from Mexico must wait 4-7 years.[21]
Sources

[1] Pew Hispanic Center. “Modes of Entry for the Unauthorized Migrant Population.” May 22, 2006.

[2] Capps, Randy and Fix, Michael. Ündocumented Immigrants: Myths and Reality,¨ Urban Institute and Migration Policy Institute. October 2005.

[3] Cunningham, Peter J. “What Accounts For Differences In The Use Of Hospital Emergency Departments Across U.S. Communities?” Health Affairs. July 18, 2006. Accessed July 2006 from healthaffairs site

[4] Passel et al. “Undocumented Immigrants: Facts and Figures.” Urban Institute. January 12, 2004. Accessed June, 2006 at http://www.urban.org/publications/1000587.html.

[5] Appleseed. “Forcing Our Blues Into Gray Areas: Local Police and Federal Immigration Enforcement.” p. 5. January, 2006. Accessed August, 2006 from: http://appleseeds.net/servlet/PublicationInfo?articleId=70.

[6] Plyler v. Doe, 452 U.S. 202, 223 (1982).

[7] Weissbrodt, David and Danielson, Laura. Immigration Law and Procedure. 5th Edition. Thomson West. 2005. p. 527

[8] Wayne A. Cornelius. “Impacts of Border Enforcement on Unauthorized Mexican Migration to the United States” Sep 26, 2006. Accessed in June 2008 at http://borderbattles.ssrc.org/Cornelius/

[9] Wayne A. Cornelius, Death at the Border: Efficacy and Unintended Consequences of U.S. Immigration Control Policy, 27(4) POPULATION AND DEVELOPMENT REVIEW 669 (2001).

[10] National Network for Immigrant and Refugee Rights. “Immigration Proposal Comparisons: Bush, Sensenbrenner, Specter.” March, 2006. Accessed August, 2006 from: http://www.nnirr.org/projects/immigrationreform/Bush_Sensenbrenner_Specter.pdf#search=

%22wall%2C%20Mexico%2C%20cost%2C%20immigration%22.

[11] Urban Institute. “Children of Undocumented Immigrants.” May 16, 2006. Accessed August, 2006 from: http://www.urban.org/publications/900955.html.

[12] Fix, Michael and Haskins, Ron. ¨Welfare Benefits for Non-citizens.¨ The Brookings Institution. Policy Brief #15. 2002.

[13] Capps, Randy and Fix, Michael. “Undocumented Immigrants: Myths and Reality.” The Urban Institute and the Migration Policy Institute. Oct, 2005. Accessed January 2006 from: http://www.urban.org/publications/900898.html.

[14] “Death on the Border. Arizona Daily Star. Accessed June 2008 from: http://regulus.azstarnet.com/borderdeaths/search.php

[15] “Recently Arrived Migrants and the Congressional Debate on Immigration.” Pew Hispanic Center. April, 2006.

[16] Protopsaltis, Spiros. “Undocumented Immigrant Students and Access to Higher Education: An Overview of Federal and State Policy.” The Bell Policy Center. 2005. Accessed Feb. 06 from: http://www.thebell.org/pdf/UndocumentedStudents_HigherEd.pdf.

[17] “Undocumented Immigrants: Facts and Figures.” Urban Institute. January 2004. Accessed June, 2006 at http://www.urban.org/publications/1000587.html.

[18] Passel et al. “Undocumented Immigrants: Facts and Figures.” Urban Institute. January 12, 2004. Accessed June, 2006 at http://www.urban.org/publications/1000587.html.

[19] “The Labor Force Status of Short-Term Unauthorized Workers.” Pew Hispanic Center. April 13, 2006

[20] The Independent Institute. Open Letter on Immigration. June 19, 2006. Accessed July 2006 from: http://www.independent.org/newsroom/article.asp?id=1727 and Peri, Giovanni, Ph.D. “Immigrants, Skills, and Wages: Measuring the Economic Gains from Immigration.” Immigration Policy In Focus. Vol. 5, Issue 3. p.4. March 2003.

[21] United States Department of State. “Visa Bulletin.” August 2006. Number 96 Volume VII. Washington D.C. Accessed in July 2006 from http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_2978.html.

"Wall or no wall, I will try at least three times," said Martinez, who said he would try to cross by himself through Tecate, a mountainous town about 35 miles east of Tijuana. "I have three girls that I have to support, and in Mexico there is no work."

good lord im not reading all that, you keep harping on how much it will cost but ignore the fact that we pay billions a year in dealing with the problems that illegal immigrants create.