Author Topic: Should the government do a better job with vets?  (Read 7209 times)

Mattyh7688

• Getbig IV
Re: Should the government do a better job with vets?
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 04:20:35 PM »
You guys have valid points.  The whole point of this thread was to hear both sides.  I think they can spend a a little less on multi million dollar missiles, and mega million jets and tanks etc....  Filter some of that money back into the backbone of the army.
I'd prefer they took the money from welfare and other abused systems in America over the actual military.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 04:23:12 PM »
I'd prefer they took the money from welfare and other abused systems in America over the actual military.
Another good point.  How many missiles, tanks, stealth bombers, etc... do we really need though? They cost an absurd amount of money.  All of the other countries are leagues behind us when it comes to tech.  It's becoming overkill.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 04:33:10 PM »
 I just read a story about an Iraq war veteran, who had to sell his medal on ebay.  He was broke, and wanted to get enough money to buy a lawnmower, so he could start a landscaping business.  The people responded, and the listing ended at 5,800+ dollars.  

I think that it is pathetic it had to come to this.  I think 4 year vets should get 10k a year for the rest of their lives.  I think 8 year vets should get 30k etc.... These fuckers put their life on the line for us.  They shouldn't have to put 20 years behind enemy lines for a fucking retirement package.

Either that, or bump every soldiers pay to 50,000 mininum every year. I'm sure our goverment is wasting money elsewhere.

Remember that the next time you hear the empty phrase "support our troops."  You don't support the troops by sending them to sacrifice their lives unnecessarily as we did in Iraq.  And you don't support them by discarding them when they return from combat and exit the service.  

On the other hand, you don't make nails out of your best steel and you don't make soldiers out of your best men.  By deed our society has shown that we consider soldiers disposable.  Knowing that why would one elect to go into military service?  ::)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 04:42:12 PM »
What the US military should do is take Domestic Violence seriously and offer some help to the enlisted people and their spouses. It is a HUGE problem that they gloss over.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 04:42:17 PM »
Depends.  My cousin says that they hate fucking higher ups that come straight from school, that have never seen the field.  He said they don't respect them.  You should definately have field exp. before you can get promoted in the Army.
Yeah, those are junior officers. They have to command a platoon before they can move up. Theyre supposed to listen to their NCO's (who have the experience), even though technically they outrank them.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2012, 04:43:39 PM »
Remember that the next time you hear the empty phrase "support our troops."  You don't support the troops by sending them to sacrifice their lives unnecessarily as we did in Iraq.  And you don't support them by discarding them when they return from combat and exit the service.  

On the other hand, you don't make nails out of your best steel and you don't make soldiers out of your best men.  By deed our society has shown that we consider soldiers disposable.  Knowing that why would one elect to go into military service?  ::)
Believe it or not, some of us actually know this and still elected to enlist.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2012, 04:43:49 PM »

The military is just like any other sector.  It has a cross-section of the human population.  You have some brilliant minds, and you have your morons. They all have to have some level of courage however.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2012, 04:45:22 PM »
Universal Healthcare for Dogs would be cool!

Kulutues

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2012, 05:11:26 PM »
no in fact the federal government needs to shut the fuck up and stop wasting everyone's money especially on fucking retarded people who thought it would be a good idea to fight wars

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2012, 08:21:03 PM »
I think any vet that has been in harms way(seen real action) should be given free medical, food and housing vouchers for life. Then maybe the scumbag politicians will think twice about just putting any and all souls in the line of fire for next to no reason.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2012, 04:50:56 AM »
I think any vet that has been in harms way(seen real action) should be given free medical, food and housing vouchers for life. Then maybe the scumbag politicians will think twice about just putting any and all souls in the line of fire for next to no reason.
They wont think twice. Its what politicians do (use any and all resources available to accomplish their goals).

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 04:53:23 AM »
How the hell did active U.S. Navy Seals have the time to shoot a movie?  Why would they broadcast what they look like so openly?

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 05:13:41 AM »
Yeah, definatley dont think we should recieve a lifelong pension just for serving.
This is coming from someone who served.
People that make it long enough to retire recieve a pretty decent retirement anyway.

I don't know about the US, but in the UK we get paid ok money and if youre single living on base your overheads are fuck all.

The problem is when you get out and have to live in the real world again.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2012, 05:14:37 AM »
How the hell did active U.S. Navy Seals have the time to shoot a movie?  Why would they broadcast what they look like so openly?
They did it between deployments, and the US Navy basically had them do it as a "recruitment" movie.
They only showed a few faces anyway, so its probably not that huge of a deal, especially since they probably wear their balaclava half the time in the field anyway.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2012, 06:21:37 AM »
The military is just like any other sector.  It has a cross-section of the human population.  You have some brilliant minds, and you have your morons. They all have to have some level of courage however.

This is an interesting thread.  I am not American but I watch the American news every night.  From what I understand a large portion of the troops were made up of National Guard.  When these guys and girls signed up they never thought that they would ever be sent over to a combat zone.  I'm sure a lot of them thought that they would just do some war type exercises once a month for some easy money with no real danger.  You know, a chance to get out of the house and away from the wife and have some fun.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2012, 06:26:07 AM »
Fuck dogs. These mother-Fockers should be ran over on sight.

A choice between you and a dog... not much to think about.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2012, 08:58:57 AM »
I support our troops 100% but becoming a "soldier" requires little qualification and they are given housing and food allowances, on top of signing bonuses, free future education, etc. I know soldiers with free undergrad and GRAD school, ON TOP of housing allowance after they were in the service. The system is put into place for these guys to do something with their lives after the service. If they decide not too, it isn't my job to pay a retired vet 10k a year. My dad was actually in Vietnam and he doesn't expect government handouts from a job he did 40 years ago.
x2, vets get enough handouts.
T

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2012, 09:52:42 AM »

I consider you a respectable person.

The first half of your post I agreed with quite a bit.

I don't understand, nor do I appreciate, the second half, especially the eye roll.

I signed up for the Army in 2002, and I'll tell you why I did it. I felt there was a credible threat to the people I loved in this world and I wanted to do something about it. It was more important to me that their lives continued than my own. You can look back on the last decade with perfect clarity, but I didn't have that luxury at the time.

Although I only did one tour (Afghanistan), I'm proud of myself and people like me, who gave their best with the information they had at the time.

As to the OP, it's an interesting proposition, but given the current fiscal state of my country, I would have to say no. The military gives you great tools to maximize your future, so long as you're willing to keep working hard. I'm proud to say that I did. I went to college on the GI Bill and have a career that I love.

What I would like to see more of is help with veterans who are homeless, very poor or are have mental problems (namely PTSD and TBI).

G

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2012, 09:55:41 AM »
I would also like the war in Afghanistan to end, for the record.

G

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2012, 10:00:05 AM »
I consider you a respectable person.

The first half of your post I agreed with quite a bit.

I don't understand, nor do I appreciate, the second half, especially the eye roll.

I signed up for the Army in 2002, and I'll tell you why I did it. I felt there was a credible threat to the people I loved in this world and I wanted to do something about it. It was more important to me that their lives continued than my own. You can look back on the last decade with perfect clarity, but I didn't have that luxury at the time.

Although I only did one tour (Afghanistan), I'm proud of myself and people like me, who gave their best with the information they had at the time.

As to the OP, it's an interesting proposition, but given the current fiscal state of my country, I would have to say no. The military gives you great tools to maximize your future, so long as you're willing to keep working hard. I'm proud to say that I did. I went to college on the GI Bill and have a career that I love.

What I would like to see more of is help with veterans who are homeless, very poor or are have mental problems (namely PTSD and TBI).

Good post.  Still a meltdown  ;)

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2012, 10:01:47 AM »
Nobody forced the fuckers to travel overseas and kill men, women and children so there government could secure some resources to satisfy it's country addictions!  Grunts should know what to expect, do you really think if there government doesn't give a fuck about killing hundreds of thousands of innocent citizens in far off places, what makes them think they give a fuck about grunts!  Stupid grunts!
V

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2012, 10:03:40 AM »
Nobody forced the fuckers to travel overseas and kill men, women and children so there government could secure some resources to satisfy it's country addictions!  Grunts should know what to expect, do you really think if there government doesn't give a fuck about killing hundreds of thousands of innocent citizens in far off places, what makes them think they give a fuck about grunts!  Stupid grunts!
As harsh as this post comes across, you do have a valid point.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2012, 10:03:43 AM »
*sigh*

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2012, 10:09:01 AM »
When you take an extremist attitude, you never really care about the truth.

Just your position.

It's the same with religion.

Once I saw that you posted there is some systematic rape program by the military. That is pattently untrue. But you might as well be 333386 because you are no longer looking for the truth, you simply seek to reinforce your radical position with anything you can find.

You might as well be a fundamentalist religious nut.

You wouldn't know the truth if it bit you in the ass.

BTW, it will eventually.

G

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2012, 10:15:05 AM »
When you take an extremist attitude, you never really care about the truth.

Just your position.

It's the same with religion.

Once I saw that you posted there is some systematic rape program by the military. That is pattently untrue. But you might as well be 333386 because you are no longer looking for the truth, you simply seek to reinforce your radical position with anything you can find.

You might as well be a fundamentalist religious nut.

You wouldn't know the truth if it bit you in the ass.

BTW, it will eventually.

Most of us look through a narrow tunnel when it comes to our beliefs.  As much as we hate the Taliban (for example), we have to understand that they were brought up differently.  They think our customs/way of life are just as alien as we do theirs.