Author Topic: Larry Scott  (Read 75486 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Larry Scott
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2009, 09:34:59 PM »
He didn't change the perceived shape, he managed to modify the peak through his evolution in thinking about training, period. Highly unusal, especially after retirement.

For the confused - he didn't change his genetic shape. Rather, that shape was always there but required specialized means to be fully realized.

I think what confuses people is that they don't realize that most guys don't have either the perserverence or imagination to train long after retirement, which is what he did, and to be analytical along the way. It was only later with an open mind that he changed what he had, finding new avenues to develop muscle. Most BBs will never experience this. Schwarzenegger gives Scott full credit for this, as do i.

I know this also from personal experience. In the last year using exercises i didn't use previously i've seen a noticable change in triceps development. Absolutely true. Only happened by trying to be open minded and then trying new things - change can happen at any age if the mind is open.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2009, 05:29:48 AM »
For the confused - he didn't change his genetic shape. Rather, that shape was always there but required specialized means to be fully realized.

I suspected that’s what you were implying.
But I think the way it was coming across was a bit confusing.

The above is good clarification.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
bs
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2009, 05:49:54 AM »
He didn't change the perceived shape, he managed to modify the peak through his evolution in thinking about training, period. Highly unusal, especially after retirement.

You're an idiot.  You're saying Larry's biceps underwent some genetics shape shifting transformation as he got older?  LMAO!  He won his first contest in 1960 at 22 years old.  Look at his fucking biceps.  They are as big then as they ever were.  The only thing that really changed was their size.  which with age and years of training usually increases.  

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2009, 03:26:09 PM »
Here's the most striking example that salts away my points. Peak is clearly different over time, as he kept experimenting. Most guys don't do that and won't know what's left unrealized.

Game, set and match.

Thanks for playing guys, my point is made but takes some open-mindedness to absorb. ;)

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2009, 04:08:33 AM »
Bloody hell Larry still looks in Great shape for a 64 yr old!!!!!!!!!! :o

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2009, 12:51:02 PM »
Here's the most striking example that salts away my points. Peak is clearly different over time, as he kept experimenting. Most guys don't do that and won't know what's left unrealized.

Game, set and match.

Thanks for playing guys, my point is made but takes some open-mindedness to absorb. ;)

Pumpster is right, the pics prove it.     Also it is true that as you get older youlearn to tweak the muscles different for different looks....after 27yrs i can use lighter weights, slower and get better results than heavy weights when i was in my 20s.    You gotta pay your dues by staying in the game and most guys wont make it.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2009, 07:46:39 AM »
A rather childish attempt to prove a non-point. Again by pumpster. Different distance from the camera in each pose, lighting (natural, overhead direct or staged?) and not the exact same pose position of the arm. Even an inch, or so, in a muscle pose can make a world of difference in what the camera eye see's. That includes the human eye. The Pro's all know that. Maybe the bicep mass has changed but not the genetic muscle shape. Simple fact really. There are no secret exercises or magical workout plans to change that. High, low intensity or whatever.

Do not know if pumpster is 12 years old or in his '70's by most of his post. That is a puzzle.
F

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2009, 10:11:30 AM »

Pumpster is right, the pics prove it.     Also it is true that as you get older youlearn to tweak the muscles different for different looks....after 27yrs i can use lighter weights, slower and get better results than heavy weights when i was in my 20s.    You gotta pay your dues by staying in the game and most guys wont make it.

::)  The result of Larry's biceps in the last picture has to do with age and maturity NOT changing the shape of his bicep muscles through various exercises.  Look at his other muscles, tricep, abs, quads.......they all look different.  Your muscles change as they age.  Not because you shape them with different exercises.  You guys are hilarious, really. 

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2009, 12:32:32 AM »
 a very young Larry

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2009, 05:34:08 AM »

Game, set and match.

I'd say arm and hand positions are different causing diff appearances of bi shapes

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2009, 06:35:21 AM »
Haha we now know pumpster is a fucking fat piece of bald shit who knows nothing about bodybuilding.  Everything he says in this thread can be chaulked up to bullshit.

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2010, 06:42:52 AM »
Larry looking Awesome in 1965-66

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2012, 04:32:07 AM »
source: http://ironguru.com/training-methods-of-larry-scott

Training Methods of Larry Scott 

Irvin Johnson had just asked Larry Scott about his training programs and exercise schedules. Larry had already talked at length about his background and brought us up to date on his progress in training over the past 9 years. Contrary to what many would have you believe, Larry has never performed any miracles of progress. Every pound, every inch he has gained has been through hard work and good nutrition.

If you are looking for secrets of overnight success you will be disappointed, but if you are willing to work as hard as Larry has and if you're willing to deny yourself other pleasures and activities as Larry has over a period of 9 or more years, then you can expect progress of a satisfactory nature. You may not become the best built man in the world for you may not have inherited the correct muscle shape, bone structure, skin texture and you may not have come from sturdy ancestors, but you can make great improvement and develop a good physique for your own type.

You must recognize the direction in which your talents lay and then work in this direction for perfection. There has been much speculation that Scott has a magic and secret formula of exercise. Such is not so. The following interview tells you essentially how Larry trains.

IRVIN JOHNSON: Larry, we would like to know how you trained over the years and how you train now. Have you varied your training or have you trained the same over the years?

LARRY SCOTT: Well, Irvin, the type of exercise I and the other fellows use varies a great deal from time to time. We generally use an exercise until we cease to progress on it and then change to another. This generally lasts a couple of months. Thus the workout program is in a constant state of flux. You reach stale periods after a certain length of time in which you experience no growth. Then you change your exercise or exercises or your routine. So over the period of 9 years I have been training, I have used many different routines and exercises. I experienced results from all of them but there is no one perfect or permanent exercise nor no best or permanent routine. My routines in the past have probably been the same as those used by other top bodybuilders.

IRVIN: Can you tell us something about your present routines, exercises, repetitions, sets, frequency of training etc. ?

LARRY: At present I'm on what you might call a Split-Routine system--not in the commonly accepted term but one I have worked out which seems to suit me best. It might not be the best for anyone else but it works very well for me.

First, I train 6 days per week on this type of routine. Here is how I work. This is important. I work approximately 2 or 3 muscles or muscle groups per day. I do 3 to 4 exercises for each muscle or muscle group 2 or 21/2 times per week.

Keeping in mind the above routine, I do 8 to 10 repetitions for each set and from 6 to 8 and sometimes even 10 sets. This holds true of all muscle areas but the calves and forearms. Because of the nature of their muscle fibers I use higher rep's (up to 20 repetitions).

I finish many of my sets with the "burns" (rapid, short movements to give an intense, aching, burning feeling).

Considering the above you will find that I do about 20 to 30 sets per body part, muscle or muscle group.

Let me use the biceps as an illustration. I would probably use about 4 different exercises for the biceps and 5 to 6 sets for each exercise of 8 to 10 repetitions. This would make a total of 24 sets for the biceps. If I were working the Biceps, Triceps, and Deltoids today. I would have 4 exercises for each and say 5 sets of each exercise or a total of 60 sets for my workout today. This type of workout takes me about 2 hours. I do not rest too much between exercises or between sets but try to keep moving along pretty well.

Tomorrow I would work another body part or group of muscle, perhaps two or three groups or single muscles as the case might be. So each day I change body parts, groups of muscles or individual muscles. I get back to these muscles about twice per week. Each workout takes me about 2 hours each night or 12 hours work per week.

I try to do the next set of exercise as soon as I can after the previous set in order to keep as much blood as possible in the muscle and maintain the pump and achieve a "burn".

This system might not be good for everyone but it works well for me.

IRVIN: Could you tell us whether you try to use heavy weights in all your exercises or do you prefer medium or light poundages?

LARRY: I never have used extremely heavy weights for my exercises. In the curl for instance it is pretty rare if I ever go over 150 lbs.

Probably much of the reason for my not using heavier weights is the type of gym I work out in. I do all my workouts in Vince's (Vince Gironda) gym and this gym is not oriented towards heavy weights. It is aimed more at training for shape and definition I guess this is because Vince himself has this type of physique.

Much of the exercise done is of the isolation nature--that is certain muscles are exercised alone rather than in groups and in this type of exercise you do not and can not use as heavy a poundage.

Vince's gym has many pieces of specialized equipment for doing isolated muscle movements. There are several pieces of equipment just for doing specialized biceps and triceps movements. We do not do exercises like cheating curls, cheating presses etc.

IRVIN: Thank you Larry for telling us the details of your training. Now would you care to tell us something about your diet. I understand that you feel most bodybuilders fail to achieve their goals because of poor nutrition than for any other reason. I believe you once told me that you felt nutrition was more important than exercise.

LARRY: Basically I eat a lot of meat, cheese, and eggs. I like cottage cheese and meat--mostly beef in various forms. I eat almost no carbohydrates and very few vegetables. I supplement my diet with Johnson's Protein. That is about it. It's a rather bland diet but it seems to work best for me at the present time anyhow.

IRVIN: I understand that during your big gains-that is from approximately 170 or 175 to your top 210, you used large amounts of protein supplement. Would you care to tell us how much you did use and how you used it?

LARRY: I was using from 11/2 to 2 cups of Johnson's Protein (Rheo H. Blair's Protein) per day. I would mix it with cream and milk. I used about 2/3 of a quart of cream a day in mixing this along with the milk to make it the desired consistency. I took this protein-cream mix three times per day. I would eat 6 to 8 times per day. I would have breakfast, then a snack at 10 A. M. and then lunch at noon, then another snack at 2:30 P.M., then dinner plus the Protein-Cream drink. My evening meal is eaten after I work out.

COMMENTS BY JOHNSON: Larry Scott is not a big eater -- that is he does not like to eat big meals, therefore he has to eat more often and he needs the concentrate food such as protein supplements etc. Larry has also taken other supplements just before contests to help in his improvement, even tho it is too expensive for him to take regularly. He takes B complex and a special Liver Formula. He also takes special Hydrochloric acid tablets. These assist in the digestion of protein. Larry has told me that he feels that proper nutrition is 85% of the battle of bodybuilding.

Larry is the hardest worker I have seen in all my years of association with bodybuilding. He is a slow and hard gainer and so he has to work hard. He should be an inspiration to others who also find it hard to gain, illustrating that success will come from persistence, hard work, and good nutrition.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2012, 09:23:50 AM »
Larry Scott a "slow and hard gainer" ??????? What typical utter magazine bullshit.  Of course Larry works harder than everyone else, the hardest working bodybuilder.  They all are!  LOL............Scott was one of the most genetically gifted bodybuilders to step on stage during his era. 

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2012, 10:42:32 AM »
Actually most all agree that Scott had the worse disadvantages of any BB'er. The narrow shoulders, back and very average chest, for example. Fairly bad genetic, which was overcome by an intellectual approach to his training and diet. Every pound of muscle gained, took a slow and steady progress. Nothing really happened over night for him. Looking at Scott now, at an older age, anyone can notice the narrow body frame. Scott, the man with one of the most outstanding pec/delt tie in's and arms , in BB'ing history, should set the example of anyone who would be discouraged  by less than even normal genetics.

Boyer Coe was another example of a hard gainer, nothing came natural for him, all work and sweat. good Luck.
F

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2012, 11:26:42 PM »
Larry's changes were anything but slow and steady. He was the Kai Greene of his era. He turned from an average, slim bodybuilder into Mr. Olympia in a few short years.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2012, 10:45:46 AM »
Larry's structural genetics were below par; very thin with narrow clavicles & shoulders. This is evidenced in very early pictures of him.

The speed with which he progressed is subjective, but - regardless of the timeframe - no one can deny that he responded tremendously to whatever he did and/or took.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2012, 12:18:36 PM »
alzheimer for larry scott i have heard . is this correct

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »
alzheimer for larry scott i have heard . is this correct

I haven't come across any information either way.
Where did you hear that news?

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2012, 06:10:59 AM »
on joe roark iron history . first .

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2012, 10:02:50 AM »
also on ironage.us. i heard it was true.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2012, 03:02:52 PM »

Yeah, I did a quick search before heading out this morning. It seems that quite a few sites are reporting the same information.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2012, 03:04:56 PM »
also on ironage.us. i heard it was true.

Has a reliable source confirmed it?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2012, 01:59:22 PM »

Has a reliable source confirmed it?
some guy on rawiron reported it, he said larry actually called him and was a little incoherent, this guy just did an article= interview with larry and larry thought it was over a year ago. the guy's name alias i guess was rodster. the disease is a strange one everyone progresses differently. music great glen campbell has had it for awhile yet he still performs. however he gets lost from time to time in his sets.
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2012, 08:11:32 PM »
I haven't read all these posts about Larry but I first met him in the early 60's while I was stationed at Pendleton and used to train at Golds on the weekends in Venice.. We would always run into Larry at Santa Monica Beach and he was just starting to look more like a bodybuilder than a gymnast which I believe he was in the 50's..

He was the best of them all at that time in my opinion, but to be honest there were not too many real bodybuilders back then  and no more than 10 to 12 competitors would show up to compete in the relatively few SoCal contests most of which were held at in an outdoor theater on Venice Beach or at the Embassy Auditorium adjacent to the Embassy Hotel in downtown Los Angeles.

And almost all the contestants in those days came from Pearl's Gym in Pasadena or Joe Gold's original gym in Venice. To the best of my recollection very few came from Vince's Gym over in the San Fernando Valley where we used to train the horses for the movies. A lot of that area was farmland and pastures back then.

Then around 1965 Scott blew up to an amazing size. Mostly bulk but he trimmed it down and looked unreal when it came to contest time.

Many years later I did a  seminar with Larry and after many years of doing seminars with the best of the best, I had to admit that Larry's seminar was the best of the best wirhout a doubt.

He started by simply introducint himself and asking if there were any questions.

And as each question was asked, he'd write a short version of that question on a blackboard and then continue to take questions and folllow suit until no one had any more questions.

Then he'd proceed to take each question on that blackboard and answer each and every one in a span of about  60 seconds each .... and within an hour, every  every question would be answered.

On many other occasion during seminars there would always be one or two people in  the audiance who would ask questions that would  go into an hour discussion , but Larry would not allow that to happen.

If he felt it was gonna happen he'd simply say, "Talk to me after this seminar is finished:.

Always was a pleasure working with Larry._