Author Topic: Functional strength vs. weightroom strength  (Read 3996 times)

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
Re: Functional strength vs. weightroom strength
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 11:28:43 AM »
yes the people who buiild houses and buildings, build roads, schools, etc. are "suckers". ::)

Yes, they are.  With a little education they can earn more money, provide better for their family, and not destroy their body in the process of slaving away for 12 hours a day for mediocre wages.  I make twice as much as my buddy who is a stone mason foreman, and work 20 hours a week less than him.  I also don't have to work outside in shit weather, or spend 1/4 of my pay on tools and gas for my work truck.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2009, 11:33:56 AM »
Yes, they are.  With a little education they can earn more money, provide better for their family, and not destroy their body in the process of slaving away for 12 hours a day for mediocre wages.  I make twice as much as my buddy who is a stone mason foreman, and work 20 hours a week less than him.  I also don't have to work outside in shit weather, or spend 1/4 of my pay on tools and gas for my work truck.

Dude wtf are you talking about?  ::)

We NEED people who do those kinds of jobs. And stop acting like you're better than them.

Fucking douchebag.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2009, 11:35:29 AM »
   Functional training has become very dysfunctional in the last few years.  The most functional exercises are the exercises focused on movements applicable to daily life.  Squatting on Swiss ball on one leg with someone poking you with a sharp stick in the eye is not functional.  Squats, deads, lunges, shoulder presses, chins, trunk rotations, even curls...these are more functional than what is being called functional today.  Having said that, there are plenty of people stuck in the 70-80s doing dysfunctional training from back then as well-all bench press all the time, underhand tricep pressdowns, preacher curls, leg extensions and curls constituting a whole leg workout, 1000 rep ab days(which means 1000 rep crunch day), 90 degree leg raises...all equally as dysfunctional.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2009, 11:35:59 AM »

with your carrying of 600lb stones you would be a foremans dream. Buildings bould be built in minutes, no need for cranes or forklifts, you can do twice what WSM can do. Doing the work of 6 men means 6x their wages

The world is your oyster.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2009, 11:38:09 AM »
with your carrying of 600lb stones you would be a foremans dream. Buildings bould be built in minutes, no need for cranes or forklifts, you can do twice what WSM can do. Doing the work of 6 men means 6x their wages

;D

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2009, 11:40:51 AM »
Damn that guy is a bullshit artist.

"I picked a 600 pound stone of my truck and walked 40 yards with it" haha ok Derek Poundstone.  ::)

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2009, 11:44:08 AM »
we need people to make french fries too.  We need people to clean toilets.  We need people to do all kinds of menial bullshit.  My mason friend is a foreman and makes more money than the laborers on his crew, and does less physical work than they do.  He is in a higher position and therefore better, and more valuable than they are.  He is less expendable to the company than some 10 buck an hour brick hauler.

I know these concepts are difficult for some people to understand, but there is a socioeconomic ladder that we all live on.  There are people above me and people below me.  It's important to know where your place is, and perfectly acceptable to want more for yourself and others.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 11:46:10 AM »
i'd like to see who dies of heart attacks at younger ages - people who smile and drive a lawn mower all day, or those highly paid execs making a killing doing stressful deals.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 11:48:08 AM »
I know some people happy as hell in their relaxed jobs.

Everyone wanst to earn a little more money but not everyone is happy in their jobs

fair point 240

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2009, 11:48:34 AM »

moving a heavy rock 30 feet is not something anyone could do for an 8 hour work day.  

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2009, 11:49:34 AM »
moving a 600lb rock is not something anyone in the world can do.

How do you know it was 600lbs? did you weigh it?

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 11:52:01 AM »
receipt from the landscaping company they bought the rock from said 590 lbs, they use a truck scale.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2009, 11:53:08 AM »
i seriously doubt you carried it.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2009, 11:58:29 AM »
we need people to make french fries too.  We need people to clean toilets.  We need people to do all kinds of menial bullshit.  My mason friend is a foreman and makes more money than the laborers on his crew, and does less physical work than they do.  He is in a higher position and therefore better, and more valuable than they are.  He is less expendable to the company than some 10 buck an hour brick hauler.

I know these concepts are difficult for some people to understand, but there is a socioeconomic ladder that we all live on.  There are people above me and people below me.  It's important to know where your place is, and perfectly acceptable to want more for yourself and others.

I'm in construction and it's just like any other industry.  There are suckers and non suckers, exploiters and the exploited.  Contracting is commonplace in building however, so there's a much broader scattering of earnings than you see in employment for wages.  It's very Wild West.  Some guys are making an absolute killing and others are barely scraping by.

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2009, 12:15:51 PM »
I'm in construction and it's just like any other industry.  There are suckers and non suckers, exploiters and the exploited.  Contracting is commonplace in building however, so there's a much broader scattering of earnings than you see in employment for wages.  It's very Wild West.  Some guys are making an absolute killing and others are barely scraping by.

so you understand what I mean when I say that manual labor is for suckers.  There's a difference between the guy that busted his ass for a couple years and worked his way up to the guys that are stuck in the labor aspect for their life, living paycheck to paycheck. 

Those people are suckers.  My buddy started at the bottom, but in another 4-5 years he will likely own his own company and really make some good money.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2009, 12:32:39 PM »
so you understand what I mean when I say that manual labor is for suckers.  There's a difference between the guy that busted his ass for a couple years and worked his way up to the guys that are stuck in the labor aspect for their life, living paycheck to paycheck. 

Those people are suckers.  My buddy started at the bottom, but in another 4-5 years he will likely own his own company and really make some good money.

Running a company isn't all peaches 'n cream tho.  Your risk, outlay, and headaches all increase.  Hopefully earnings will too but the sad fact is that a lot of guys new to running a business make less than they did when they were still on the tools.  If the economy is still limping along, I'd advise him to think twice about starting a business.  Also, the US is a weird place for building contractors because of all the illegal labor.  My perception is that you can either try to compete with them (and lose unless you serve a niche market) or hire them and run an illegal company.  If I lived in the US I wouldn't be in construction.

At any rate, I know a lot of guys who do pretty well.  A drywall hanger, who I hire (but who makes more than I do), busts his ass every day and grosses about $400,000 a year.  We can debate about whether what he does is 'manual labor' or if it's skilled labor because he is exceptionally good at what he does, but either way the guy is no sucker.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2009, 12:44:56 PM »
receipt from the landscaping company they bought the rock from said 590 lbs, they use a truck scale.

hahahahaa, dude you're so full of shit it's hilarious, fat bastard with no education trying to come off like a CEO. ;D

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2009, 12:58:42 PM »
hahahahaa, dude you're so full of shit it's hilarious, fat bastard with no education trying to come off like a CEO. ;D

right... AAS in automotive technology, GM certified master tech, ASE certified master tech, BS in applied mathematics, CCNA and CWNA certified.

And you're a squad gimmick account.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2009, 01:01:42 PM »
right... AAS in automotive technology, GM certified master tech, ASE certified master tech, BS in applied mathematics, CCNA and CWNA certified.

And you're a squad gimmick account.

i could claim over the net that i graduated from Johns Hopkins school of medicine but it doesn't mean shit if i don't prove it. ::)

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2009, 01:04:51 PM »
i could claim over the net that i graduated from Johns Hopkins school of medicine but it doesn't mean shit if i don't prove it. ::)

How's your girlfriend's mom's trailer squad?

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2009, 01:05:17 PM »

You too? What year?

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2009, 01:06:04 PM »
I masterbated today and used my functional strength.  ::)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2009, 01:06:43 PM »

How's your girlfriend's mom's trailer squad?

i'll take that as a no on you posting proof. :D

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2009, 01:07:48 PM »
What the Hell is functional strength??

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2009, 01:08:23 PM »
I masterbated today and used my functional strength.  ::)
the only muscle i got with "functional strength" is my cock  8)