Author Topic: UFC: Primetime Has Failed to Portray BJ Penn as a Legitimate Threat  (Read 5630 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
by Michael Rome on Jan 22, 2009 6:33 PM EST in News

I've really enjoyed both episodes of UFC: Primetime so far, but something is bothering me about the show.  Going in, GSP was a clear favorite among the betting public, fans, and people in the business. 

So far, the show has failed to portray BJ Penn as a serious threat.  On the first episode, they got him over as the "bad guy" very well, and then ended with a cliffhanger about whether or not he was training hard enough.  I figured the next episode would probably redeem him while showing GSP's weaknesses.  Instead, it was the opposite.  The second episode built GSP up even more by making it look like he has a much better training camp, much better coaches, and a much more serious approach to training.  They made it look like Penn boxes with his brother while St. Pierre trains with the elite.

In the real world, BJ Penn is a dominant champion that won a world championship in jiu-jitsu, beat Matt Hughes when it really counted, and is considered by many to have the best hands in the sport.  He's a very scary fighter, something you really wouldn't know by watching this show.  The UFC famously convinced half of its audience that Tito Ortiz could beat Chuck Liddell in their rematch, but if you took that same internet poll this Saturday night it would overwhelmingly favor GSP.  That is a failure of promotion.

The good news is it's not too late.  They've done a good job setting the stage and presenting the characters, but it's time to remind fans why BJ Penn is by far the toughest test of GSP's career.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Report: B.J. Penn Shuts Down UFC Primetime Taping
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 06:43:09 PM »
MMA Junkie is reporting that B.J. Penn has suspended his involvement with UFC Primetime:

B.J. Penn recently shut down a taping and interview session for the series and no longer wants involved in the project.

Penn was apparently unhappy with how he was portrayed in last week's debut of the series, which hypes a Jan. 31 UFC 94 main event fight between the Hawaiian fighter and UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre.
Last week's "Primetime" debut scored a scored a 0.73 household rating and had an average audience of 880,000 viewers during its initial run at 10 p.m. EST/PST. An immediate replay that aired at 10:30 p.m. EST/PST scored a 0.53 rating with 614,000 viewers.

I have to say, even by B.J.'s standards, this is a pretty unprofessional move if it turns out to be true.

[UPDATE] by Michael Rome:

Be cautious before you get you get taken for a ride by B.J. Penn.

Before condemning him, everyone should take a step back and think about a few things. First, BJ Penn is a notorious worker. The stuff about how he's going to kill people, the admission that all the steroid talk was for show...the man is all about self-promotion, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this is all another ploy.

Second, if it is legitimate, it is going to make for great TV drama. They have enough footage from weeks of filming, and unless Penn lets them back in he risks serious damage to his reputation.

[UPDATE] by Nick Thomas:

BJ Penn on TapouT Radio (Monday) saying he was going to do it. (audio)

It looks like BJ is going to let them back in, it was just a temporary banishment for the cameras.

My parents lived in a bus before they lived in the house they lived in right now.  [They were] hard workers, they saved their money...everything our family has today is because we work as hard as we possibly can.

All you can do is kick the cameras out.  They got kicked out for a while, but they're trying to make amends.

slacker

• Getbig V
Re: UFC: Primetime Has Failed to Portray BJ Penn as a Legitimate Threat
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 08:16:11 PM »
bj penn is the most over rated pos in the ufc. GSP will clean the floor with blow job penncil dick   the cyrin Hawaiian the poor little rich kid got his feelings hurt and now hes going to get his face hurt.
I

zimanu

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 10:09:49 PM »
If BJ needed a little hot water, that's his business. It's not true that to win a fight you need to train all the time, relaxation is good and as usual, I disliked White's arrigant attitude...

This said, GSP (living on the same island as me) seems to be well surrounded... But then again, that doesn't mean that BJ's methods are stupid...

But it's more in retrospect that I'm looking forward to all this, if GSP wins, we'll probably know why, but if BJ wins, then we'll have to reevaluate some notions about training...

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 10:32:31 PM »
anyone who thinks penn aint one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world is delusional,penn destroyed hughes when everyone thought hughes was unbeatable,penn will destroy gsp in the rematch.bj penn trains just as hard if not harder then anyone,just cause the kids got it going on with a beatiful island to live on and hot broads at his disposal doesnt mean he aint training hard,i know a guy who trained at bj,s school for 2 weeks and said they do crazy, brutal and effective training sessions.
R

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 10:35:27 PM »
Do you people realize how good BJ's brothers are.  If they stayed in the sport they would have done some damage too.  Again, its the people on here who have never seen BJ train in the gym that talk shit.  You couldn't last one workout with BJ I promise you that.  I always love when armchair fighters try (and fail) to put someone down like BJ.   

slacker

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 11:06:02 PM »
anyone who thinks penn aint one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world is delusional,penn destroyed hughes when everyone thought hughes was unbeatable,penn will destroy gsp in the rematch.bj penn trains just as hard if not harder then anyone,just cause the kids got it going on with a beatiful island to live on and hot broads at his disposal doesnt mean he aint training hard,i know a guy who trained at bj,s school for 2 weeks and said they do crazy, brutal and effective training sessions.
yes pound for pound 170lbs fat ass against another 170 fat ass bj wins hands down  GSP for president
I

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 11:10:37 PM »
what i always respected about bj is that hell fight anyone,anyweight,anytime.danas often said bj,s would fight hw if it was possible,lol.so many guys out there are always trying to pick and choose thier opponants.bj doesnt fear anyone and will prove hes the best when he kicks gsp,s butt and settles this once and for all
R

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 01:18:22 AM »
bj penn is the most over rated pos in the ufc. GSP will clean the floor with blow job penncil dick   the cyrin Hawaiian the poor little rich kid got his feelings hurt and now hes going to get his face hurt.
::)
Do you and GSP usually cuddle after sex?
!

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 08:27:08 AM »
Im not sure who wins the fight, but on the show BJ comes off as an arrogant douchebag while GSP comes off like a champion. Also, I agree BJ is an amazing grappler- probably the best pound for pound grapler in MMA, but the best striker? Not even remotely close. I have seen 5 or 6 of his fights and I would say his striking is above average thats it.

IMO GSP is tougher, has better wrestling skills, is faster, stronger, more athletic and based on what I've seen on the show, taking the fight a lot more seriously. That being said, it might all be a ploy for the cameras and who knows whats really happening in training.

I think the fight will definetly be a good one and it can go either way, but after watching the show I actually want GSP to win.

BIG_O

• Getbig IV
  • Assumptions are the mother of all Fuck-ups.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 08:57:13 AM »

Bro I have always respected your posts even though I have a hard time reading them.

That being said, you are delusional. BJ Penn is one of the laziest fighters out there. I have rolled with him twice and hung out at his gym on a few occasions when passing thru and I have always wondered why someone with such god given talent and flexibility is so fucking lazy. He is. If you honestly think he trains harder than most you need to go train at America's Top Team, take a stroll to Vegas and watch the guys at Randy's or Train with Tito up in Big Bear. Fuck man drive to Gresham OR for that matter.

BJ's cardio has always been an issue. He knows it. Everyone knows it. 

Penn's only chance is in the first round. GSP has the conditioning to go 10 rounds. Penn is lucky to make 3. Look at the top fighters Firas Zahabi has brought into his camp. Each one of those fighters is top notch.

BJ is one of my favorite fighters. He is pissed that the show has portrayed the real BJ Penn. Nothing more. Like I said before. Penn should have stayed at lightweight and figured out how he is going to beat KenFlo........

Dball

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
I'm already tired of talking about this fight.  Icant wait for it to be over already.  But there will be no other good cards for a few months.  I'm ready for BJ to get whipped so all this can just go away.  Keith is obviously a BJ fan, most other people are GSP fans.  Few can talk about it objectively.  Anything can happen, obviously.  If you think BJ is training as hard as he can you are high.  He does not have that reputation at all and, let's be frank, reputatons are there for a reason.  No one just made up the fact that BJ is a lazy ass, it's because he is.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 10:25:01 AM »
Im not sure who wins the fight, but on the show BJ comes off as an arrogant douchebag while GSP comes off like a champion. Also, I agree BJ is an amazing grappler- probably the best pound for pound grapler in MMA, but the best striker? Not even remotely close. I have seen 5 or 6 of his fights and I would say his striking is above average thats it.

IMO GSP is tougher, has better wrestling skills, is faster, stronger, more athletic and based on what I've seen on the show, taking the fight a lot more seriously. That being said, it might all be a ploy for the cameras and who knows whats really happening in training.

I think the fight will definetly be a good one and it can go either way, but after watching the show I actually want GSP to win.

Not according to Freddie Roach, famed boxing trainer.  He said BJ is the best striker in MMA, and he is Andrei Arlovski's striking coach.  BJ doesn't look the part, isn't the best package, but he is a helluva fighter.  Fought Machida when Machida weighed 220, and lost a split decision.  Machida is a better striker than GSP, and has more power.  Methinks people will be surprised at the outcome of this fight.  GSP is in a no win situation, if he wins, he was supposed to win, if he loses, he gives crediblity to those who claim he lost the first fight.  In any case, I can't wait. 

BIG_O

• Getbig IV
  • Assumptions are the mother of all Fuck-ups.
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 11:09:14 AM »
Not according to Freddie Roach, famed boxing trainer.  He said BJ is the best striker in MMA, and he is Andrei Arlovski's striking coach.  BJ doesn't look the part, isn't the best package, but he is a helluva fighter.  Fought Machida when Machida weighed 220, and lost a split decision.  Machida is a better striker than GSP, and has more power.  Methinks people will be surprised at the outcome of this fight.  GSP is in a no win situation, if he wins, he was supposed to win, if he loses, he gives crediblity to those who claim he lost the first fight.  In any case, I can't wait. 

If I was Andre I would fire Roach. From the "Fedor has no technique" to the "BJ Penn is the best striker in MMA" comments.

BJ Penn is a better striker than Anderson Silva?

Roach is gonna get Andre hurt. Bad.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 05:12:30 PM »
Okay so I got to speak up.. BJ is my favorite fighter of all time. Yeah okay I said it for those who will flame, but let me speak. BJ when he is on, (which is on few occasions.. I can admit he is lazy sometimes) but when he is on is one of the best. Look at some of his early fights, those are the days I love seeing BJ strike. They don't call him the Prodigy because he sucks!

Bj has God given talent that I am sure that 98% of us would kill for. BJ just gets bored I think, who knows why he doesn't come in off 90 days of solid ass training, but I will say when he does work, he does work hard from what I have seen and heard.

I think BJ might be able to pull off the win, it will depend on how he comes in. I think GSP is good, but who has he really fought? Tell me who he has fought that BJ hasnt that's my question...

slacker

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 07:40:39 PM »
all valid points however.

we are talking about GSP today and BJ PENN today  and GSP is a better MMA fighter barnone.   GSP is faster stronger more agile/explosive and his hand/foot speed is amazing.  I cant say who wil win for sure after all its a fight. really hard to say 100% either way always a boxers change.
However my money is on GSP 

ps  yes we cuddle after sex
I

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 07:44:08 PM »

we are talking about GSP today and BJ PENN today  and GSP is a better MMA fighter barnone.   GSP is faster stronger more agile/explosive and his hand/foot speed is amazing.  I cant say who wil win for sure after all its a fight. really hard to say 100% either way always a boxers change.

How much of your "money" is on GSP?  :-\
!

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 08:02:26 PM »

BJ however does have more experience in more adverse situations. I would say GSP wont throw BJ anything that he hasnt seen before.. However old Mr. Penn could have a thing or to up his sleeve for GSP? I think either way it will be a barn burner

Mussolini

• Getbig IV
  • riding shotgun on the team Nasser War wagon
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 09:01:28 PM »
BJ will get destroyed by GSP. Last time Hughes' Ground and Pound was too much for BJ to handle, GSP is going to turn his face into hamburger.
shotgun on the team

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 11:06:02 PM »
BJ will get destroyed by GSP. Last time Hughes' Ground and Pound was too much for BJ to handle, GSP is going to turn his face into hamburger.

yeah just like the last time they fought,bj,s face was a mess and gsp,s was fine,lol.if i remember correctly is was gsp,s face that looked like hamburger after the first rd
R

slacker

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 05:48:03 PM »
yeah just like the last time they fought,bj,s face was a mess and gsp,s was fine,lol.if i remember correctly is was gsp,s face that looked like hamburger after the first rd
bj will lose hands down your pants
I

Dball

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 06:48:12 PM »
Since BJ LOST to GSP back in 2006, he has fought four times.  The fight after GSP he lost to Matt Hughes, then went on to beat Jens Pulver (...) then Joe Stevenson then Sean Sherk.  Who has he really fought in the last three years?  Sherk was back from a year off and was scared to death.  BJ did not face the Sherk that Tyson Grifffin fought, no doubt.  Who figured to put Sherk in a title match after a year layoff is functionally retarded, no way he was mentally ready.  So who has he fought?  What has he done?

GSP has fought six times, beating Matt Hughes twice, Koscheck and Fitch, and then humiliating Serra in rematch after Serra caught him, which can happen to anybody.  Koscheck is not punk and neither is Fitch. 

Mussolini

• Getbig IV
  • riding shotgun on the team Nasser War wagon
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 07:51:48 PM »

the winner is not declared by whos face looks the best after the fight, is it?

It will be a good fight, but george is much bigger and a much better wrestler. I think GSP will take this. I wont be "shocked" if BJ wins though.
shotgun on the team

zimanu

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 08:37:34 PM »
the winner is not declared by whos face looks the best after the fight, is it?

excellent point!

especially when there's blood! it always creates a weird vibe...

example: in high school, a guy hit me in the face when I was about to shake his hand... of course next day in school I had a black eye while he had the opened lip... it seemed like 1-1... but what they didn't know was that he gave the first punch, right in my eye and then I pushed him against the wall so hard he couldn't stand, took him by the neck, lifted him and smashed his mouth on the a mirror who broke and left him there... it looked like we each gave the other guy one punch, but it was a 10-7 round for me!

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 10:54:52 AM »
BJ is very intimidating...

w