Author Topic: House Dems Urge DHS's Kelly Against Sheriff Clarke's Hiring  (Read 486 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
I love this guy. 

House Dems Urge DHS's Kelly Against Sheriff Clarke's Hiring

Image: House Dems Urge DHS's Kelly Against Sheriff Clarke's Hiring
Milwaukee County Sherriff David Clarke (Getty Images)
By Cathy Burke   |   Thursday, 25 May 2017

A dozen House Democrats fired off a letter to Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly urging against the appointment of Milwaukee County Sherriff David Clarke to the agency.

"We understand that the Department [of Homeland Security] has yet to make an announcement about this position and strongly urge you not to consider Sheriff Clarke as candidate for this important office or any other within DHS," the members of the Committee on Homeland Security wrote.

The group cited Clarke's "troubling record" of "multiple inmate deaths" during his tenure in Milwaukee County. They also cite reported plagiarism allegations, which Clarke refuted this week to Newsmax TV's "The Joe Pags Show."

"Taken together, they warrant not only his immediate disqualification from consideration, but an unequivocal response from the department stating that neither Sheriff Clarke, nor anyone with a similar record, would be considered for a secretarial appointment within DHS," the members wrote.

The letter was signed by Mississippi Rep. Bennie Thompson, the panel's ranking Democrat, and 11 other Democrats.

Clarke said last week he had accepted a job as assistant secretary of DHS's Office of Partnership and Engagement. No official announcement has been made, and Clarke conceded to Newsmax TV the plagiarism charges could sink his bid.

"This is about weakening, like I said, the support that I give and that I have with President Donald Trump and Secretary Kelly," he told "The Joe Pags Show." "It's to weaken their resolve to hang in there with me."

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Democrats-DHS-sheriff-David-Clarke/2017/05/25/id/792440/

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: House Dems Urge DHS's Kelly Against Sheriff Clarke's Hiring
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 09:48:36 AM »
I'm a huge fan of Sheriff Clark. ;)