Author Topic: Jay Leno drives the Mclaren P1  (Read 1901 times)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Jay Leno drives the Mclaren P1
« on: September 02, 2013, 03:48:26 PM »
First none-McLaren person to do so. This car us HECTIC

axestream

• Getbig IV
Re: Jay Leno drives the Mclaren P1
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 03:50:32 PM »
Big deal.

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 04:38:22 PM »
Wow, would love to work at McLaren!!

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 04:49:48 PM »
disappointed

thought i read "jay cutler drives his mclaren"

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 04:51:03 PM »
disappointed

He's buying one of these

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 04:51:51 PM »
disappointed

Well, he ordered his in yellow...just like the one he drove.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 05:19:38 PM »
I love the addition of electrical power.  I've been wanting to see someone throw a diesel-electric hybrid together for the longest time (isn't Audi doing that now/soon?).  The ability to handle upwards of 50 psi of boost (100psi or more with little more than head studs and forged rods), off the charts torque, and immediate electric power to deal with the turbo lag...if I were an engineer in the auto industry, I'd be trumpeting that model to anyone who'd listen.  

You could even satisfy the enviro-fags...a RWD turbo-diesel power plant that utilizes FWD electric power until the torque converter locks up.  No reason you couldn't see 50 mpg on a car that would have more than enough SOTP feel for just about anyone
Y

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 05:22:47 PM »
I love the addition of electrical power.  I've been wanting to see someone throw a diesel-electric hybrid together for the longest time (isn't Audi doing that now/soon?).  The ability to handle upwards of 50 psi of boost (100psi or more with little more than head studs and forged rods), off the charts torque, and immediate electric power to deal with the turbo lag...if I were an engineer in the auto industry, I'd be trumpeting that model to anyone who'd listen.  

You could even satisfy the enviro-fags...a RWD turbo-diesel power plant that utilizes FWD electric power until the torque converter locks up.  No reason you couldn't see 50 mpg on a car that would have more than enough SOTP feel for just about anyone
Look to Audi's Le Mans race cars for the diesel-electric hybrids.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 05:40:42 PM »
Look to Audi's Le Mans race cars for the diesel-electric hybrids.

I thought they were doing something with that.  Supplementing turbo-diesel with electric power just opens up so many options. 

The big issues with diesels are the lack of RPMs and the turbo-lag you're stuck with. 
The influx of EFI tuning software has drastically changed the RPM issue (guys are seeing up 7k RPMs on the newer diesels...and that's on the big 6.6-6.7 liter v-8 and I-6 Duramax/Powerstroke/Cummins motors).

The only major issue left is the spool time issue with the massive boost numbers...seems like the immediately available electric power would be a perfect fix. 

I realize that the P1 isn't diesel, but I'm still digging the electrical-power-for-performance-reasons concept. 
Y