Author Topic: 911 Burning the Quran ....right or wrong???  (Read 17579 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: 911 Burning the Quran ....right or wrong???
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 03:19:16 PM »
let anyone burn any book they want, as long as they paid for that book.

constitution's gotta come first.  

The problem is everyone giving this issue attention.  Ignore it, give this guy no cameras, and the issue goes away.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 03:22:11 PM »
I have read numerous passages from the Koran and I have done reasearch into how the religion is practiced.

I guess the author of the Koran and 10's of millions of people who identify themselves as Muslims that support and engage in terrorism missed all of the parts about non-violence, respect toward others and peace. I guess that they just took all of those parts of the Koran out of context and the rest of you who practice Islam are too cowardly and pathetic to correct them.

Either way, the cowardly and practically voiceless and nameless "moderates" that practice Islam are just as much as fault as the extremists because they either blame the West for everything, justify terrorism, defend terrorists, or go into hiding whenever they have an opportunity to speak out.

Which by the way have you read the Koran, or did you take a multicultural sensitivity training class at a local community college?

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 03:22:25 PM »
As a Florida pastor plans a Quran-burning bonfire on September 11, The Daily Beast’s Asra Q. Nomani, herself a Muslim, says there are a few brutal passages in the Quran that need to go up in smoke.

On the plan to burn Qurans this weekend, I say to Muslims: Let's get over the symbolic insult and deal with the very real issues of literal interpretations of the Quran that are used to sanction domestic violence, terrorism, militancy, and suicide bombings in the name of Islam.

Gen. David Petraeus has weighed in, saying that the planned burnings by the Rev. Terry Jones' congregation in Florida will endanger U.S. soldiers fighting in Afghanistan. But I believe that there is something that endangers Americans and American soldiers even more: certain passages that—when read literally—pit Muslims against Americans and the West.

We, as Muslims, need to tear a few pages out of the Quran.

I believe the Qurans are being burnt because we, as Muslims, haven't dealt sincerely and intellectually with very serious issues that certain Quranic passages raise, particularly in the West. These include verses—when literally read—that say that disobedient wives can be beaten “lightly,” that Muslims can't be friends with the Jews and the Christians, and that it's OK to kill converts from Islam.

We, as Muslims, need to tear a few pages out of the Quran—symbolically, at least, by rejecting literal adherence to certain problematic verses.

The Christian faith had to deal with problematic verses from the Book of Deuteronomy that sanctioned violence. Jews have had to confront rigid readings of the Old Testament that sanctioned stonings. Muslims, too, must re-interpret verses that aren't compatible with life in the 21st century.

Look at one literal reading of the 34th verse of the fourth chapter of the Quran, An-Nisa, or Women. "[A]nd (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them," reads one widely accepted translation. Based on a literal reading, Saudi scholar Abdul Rahman al-Sheha concludes that when dealing with a “disobedient wife,” a Muslim man has a number of options. First, he should remind her of “the importance of following the instructions of the husband in Islam.” If that doesn't work, he can “leave the wife's bed.” Finally, he may “beat” her, though it must be without “hurting, breaking a bone, leaving blue or black marks on the body and avoiding hitting the face, at any cost.”

Such appalling recommendations occur because we haven't yet universally drawn a line in the sand, as Muslims, and said that this verse may have been progressive for the seventh century when women were supposedly beaten indiscriminately, but it isn't compatible with the modern day, if read literally. Instead, we do something called the "4:34 dance," suggesting that the light beating be the result of everything from hitting a woman with noodles (yes, you read that right) to a traditional toothbrush, called a “miswak,” from the root of a plant.

The kidnapping and killing of my friend and colleague Daniel Pearl in 2002 forced me to confront the link between literalist interpretations of the Quran and their role in sanctioning violence in the world. For critics of Islam, these verses are the smoking gun that proves that Islam is intrinsically violent. These are verses such as At-Tauba (“The Repentance”) 9:5, which states that Muslims should “slay the pagans wherever ye find them” or Al-Mâ'idah (“The Table Spread with Food”) 5:51, which reads, “Take not the Jews and Christians as friends.”

We need to reject literal reads of the Quran and recognize that these verses were communicated during specific moments of war, and they aren't edicts for all time. We, as Muslims, must reject the notion that we read these words literally. To many, that would be an act of blasphemy. But, until we do, the literal words of the Quran will be used to rally hate against the faith. And that is why, indeed, Qurans will be burned by the small congregation of about 50 folks from the Rev. Terry Jones' Dove World Outreach Center. It's really just these particular verses that need to go up in smoke.

Asra Q. Nomani is the author of Standing Alone: An American Woman's Struggle for the Soul of Islam. She is co-director of the Pearl Project, an investigation into the murder of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl. Her activism for women's rights at her mosque in W.V. is the subject of a PBS documentary, The Mosque in Morgantown. She recently published a monograph, Milestones for a Spiritual Jihad: Toward an Islam of Grace. asra@asranomani.com

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-09-08/get-over-the-quran-burning/

At least one Muslim who gets it.
Good article.
G

CC973

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 03:22:55 PM »

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 03:24:33 PM »
let anyone burn any book they want, as long as they paid for that book.

constitution's gotta come first.  

The problem is everyone giving this issue attention.  Ignore it, give this guy no cameras, and the issue goes away.
You sure? Florida's always got crazy on tap.  ;D

/and crazy lite. and unfiltered crazy. seasonal crazies, too. just ask your server. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 03:27:06 PM »
All this rage over burning some Korans yet there wasn't even a mention by the MSM or apologists of the 110 year old Christian statute in Indonesia that was destroyed by Muslim mobs in June. Or the 2 dozen or so churches burned down there this year. Or the Turkish bishop who was stabbed 25 times and nearly decapitated by his driver who shouted "Allah Akbar" while doing it. Or the 300+ year old church in Turkey that was vandalized last month. Or the fact that Pakistan's government has accepted hundreds of millions in flood aid from non-Muslims in the West and is now denying any flood aid to Ahmadis and Christians. Or the 3 Christian aid workers assisting with flood relief in Pakistan who were murdered two weeks ago by Muslims for being Christian. Or the Saudi and Iranian clerics who have recently said that democracy, freedom and human rights have no place in Islam (these are high authorities on Islam saying this). Sadly, I can go on all day.

I have read numerous passages from the Koran and I have done reasearch into how the religion is practiced.

I guess the author of the Koran and 10's of millions of people who identify themselves as Muslims that support and engage in terrorism missed all of the parts about non-violence, respect toward others and peace. I guess that they just took all of those parts of the Koran out of context and the rest of you who practice Islam are too cowardly and pathetic to correct them.

Either way, the cowardly and practically voiceless and nameless "moderates" that practice Islam are just as much as fault as the extremists because they either blame the West for everything, justify terrorism, defend terrorists, or go into hiding whenever they have an opportunity to speak out.

Which by the way have you read the Koran, or did you take a multicultural sensitivity training class at a local community college?

I suppose the 110+ verses in the Koran directly advocating violence against non-Muslims and the spreading of Islam by the sword were fabricated by the anti-Islam crowd. I doubt that clown has read sentence 1 of the Koran.  ::)

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 03:31:03 PM »
The pastor has the right to burn the Koran, but it is not right to do so.  It is a needless provocation.

You know, sort of like building a mosque next to Ground Zero, on a building upon which a piece of Mohammed Atta's plane landed.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 03:37:35 PM »
oh yeah, there are some batshit crazy ppl in FL... but as long as they do their crazy shit on their own property, I could care less.

It's their property, let them burn it.  Same with the d-bags on the other side of the world burning american flags.  If FOX and CNN didn't show up with cameras, it would just be some dumbshite poor loser burning his own cloth, his own property.  They empower these morons with TV, and everyone here gets sooo offended, that the losers get a win.

Just ignore them.  Let them burn any property they want.  But don't give them a platform for it.  Don't get all offended.  Shrug, tell them to piss off.  Life's too short to sit around worrying with some broke moron on the other side of the world *thinks of me*.

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 03:42:30 PM »
I wonder how many of these nuts have actually read the Quran from cover to cover.  They make ridiculous assumptions about Islam based upon the actions of some lunatic terrorist or a few verses taken out of context.  Islam is a religion of peace, justice, equality, and submission to God.  Violence is in Islam is haraam (forbidden) unless it comes as self defense.  Even in those cases of self defense there are still very strict rules of engagement.   

Anyone can get a free Quran online.  Read it for yourself!

Its a trap, anyone searching for the quran online gets put on some kind of list  :P

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 03:43:57 PM »
it's just a book, and it's not like it's going out of print.

and why do everyone have to play along in a peoples mental illness and delusion, just to not upset them?

if it yours do whatever with it.

if I was a christian I couldn't care less if some one burned bibles.  big fucking deal?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 03:46:01 PM »
Burn it.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2010, 03:47:57 PM »
yes along with it we can also burn the bible.

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2010, 03:48:19 PM »
Exactly, then it's burn Bibles, next Torahs, Dead Sea Scrolls, then Science books, Philosophy books, anything that can influence us to think---Under the guise of protecting us from "evil"

I just dont see how it's only whatever years after the holocaust and yet people are still falling for the hate propaganda directed at some "outsider's" religion. At least some of us adults are not easily swayed by hate speech but children are. Sounds a little scary to me.

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2010, 03:53:46 PM »
It is wrong.

“Support the troops” is a phrase Americans like to throw around, and it is easy to say it because for most people the phrase is meaningless: it requires no action, sacrifice, or change on the part of the person who utters it.  Here we have a case where supporting the troops means not doing something as inflammatory as burning the Koran.  Military leaders have specifically warned that making this very public and offensive gesture may well imperil the lives of troops abroad by inspiring and stirring up radicals and insurgents in the war zone.

Anyone with a child in the war zone should be opposed to this.  It is safe to assume the “pastor” planning to burn the Koran does not have a child serving in the war zone right now.  ::)

Bah!  Doom disapproves.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2010, 03:55:21 PM »
oh yeah, there are some batshit crazy ppl in FL... but as long as they do their crazy shit on their own property, I could care less.

It's their property, let them burn it.  Same with the d-bags on the other side of the world burning american flags.  If FOX and CNN didn't show up with cameras, it would just be some dumbshite poor loser burning his own cloth, his own property.  They empower these morons with TV, and everyone here gets sooo offended, that the losers get a win.

Just ignore them.  Let them burn any property they want.  But don't give them a platform for it.  Don't get all offended.  Shrug, tell them to piss off.  Life's too short to sit around worrying with some broke moron on the other side of the world *thinks of me*.

You = wise man.

Les Grossman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2010, 03:58:08 PM »
"Gen. David Petraeus has weighed in, saying that the planned burnings by the Rev. Terry Jones' congregation in Florida will endanger U.S. soldiers fighting in Afghanistan".

What about the additional danger Petraeus has put U.S. soldiers in by restricting their "Rules of Engagement" in Afghanistan?

"In his first tactical directive since assuming command of international forces in Afghanistan, General David Petraeus doubled down on the orders imposed by his predecessor that put a premium on protecting civilians first to win their support. For months those rules of engagement, formulated by General Stanley McChrystal, have led to rank-and-file grumblings by U.S. soldiers. The servicemen say that the strict rules put them in greater danger, even as they aim to avoid civilian casualties. The grumbling is unlikely to diminish with the new directives that Petraeus issued on Wednesday August 4, 2010.

The call for a disciplined use of force, plus added restrictions, were not what most troops were hoping for. U.S. soldiers contend the current policies have handicapped their ability to effectively take on the Taliban, a guerrilla force that doesn't have to play by the same rules. Now, rather than loosen the rules of engagement as many would have preferred, General Petraeus has tightened them. General Petraeus has expanded the ban on air strikes and artillery fire to all types of buildings, tree-lined areas and hillsides where it is difficult to distinguish who is on the ground.

I can't see where 50 people in a congregation burning a book are going to put U.S. soldiers more at risk than General Petraeus' new tightened Rules of Engagement" in Afghanistan?

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2010, 04:07:37 PM »
I wonder how many of these nuts have actually read the Quran from cover to cover.  They make ridiculous assumptions about Islam based upon the actions of some lunatic terrorist or a few verses taken out of context.  Islam is a religion of peace, justice, equality, and submission to God.  Violence is in Islam is haraam (forbidden) unless it comes as self defense.  Even in those cases of self defense there are still very strict rules of engagement.   

Anyone can get a free Quran online.  Read it for yourself!

Do you know if they have express shipping?  I need one by the 11th.

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2010, 04:16:15 PM »
If you are in fact interested in burning one feel free to visit www.freequran.com

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2010, 04:21:30 PM »
Id like to listen to the audio book of the quran as read by steven wright or the ultimate warrior.  Anyone have a link?

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2010, 04:22:16 PM »
WHO CARES.  IT'S JUST A BOOK MADE OUT OF PAPER THAT WAS PROBABLY PRINTED IN SOME SHITTY WAREHOUSE IN CHINA
Exactly! I don't think the Bible or Koran or Morman testament, etc is from God, so I could care less.
Far better to simply say you don't belive any of it and leave it at that.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2010, 04:25:25 PM »
is there any muslims on here on getbig willing to give me a free koran before 9/11

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2010, 04:38:18 PM »
How many muslims does it take to screw in a light bulb.

Since when do caves have electricity.

:D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2010, 05:12:50 PM »
Burn every Koran in existence.

Putting our troops in jepordy is nonsense. These animals riot, kill, and blow each other up for fun. They can use any number of current events issues in the media right now as a rallying cry to kill Americans and each other. I'm sure next week Lindsay Lohan will have a wardobe malfunction and that will set off a mass array of suicide bombings world wide.

Fuck them and their high and mighty opinion of a gutter religion founded by a child molesting murderer. No other religion gets this kind of undeserved sympathy and neither should "Islam".

We should support the burning precisely to show that we are not afraid. The more we sacrafice our beliefs to appease these pieces of shit the worse off we are in the long run.

George, please run in 2012......you are the man!

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2010, 05:40:16 PM »
I think this sends a strong message to the muslim world. Europe should follow. It sends the right message to muslims. We'll defend your rights to pratice, however not receptive to your religion.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2010, 05:55:24 PM »
Save a korean, burn a muslim!!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!