Author Topic: The World's Strongest Man Competition????????  (Read 7383 times)

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
The World's Strongest Man Competition????????
« on: April 28, 2008, 11:45:34 AM »
Anyone know if the old tapes, dating back to 1977 (with Lou and Franco) are up for sale or download anywhere?? I would love to get a hold of some of those older ones with Kazmaier, Capes, Jon Pall Sigmarsson and so forth.. Would bring back some great memories. They used to play them on ESPN back in the mid 90's... Anyone know of a site where they can be purchased of downloaded?

Thanks!

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Re: The World's Strongest Man Competition????????
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 11:49:42 AM »
Those were the best.  I love the old school challenge where they would squat the wagon with playboy bunnies in it or bend the 1 inch bar using a towel on their heads.

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 11:54:43 AM »
franco would put the towel in his mouth and bend that shit clenching the bar between his teeth.
what a freak

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:10:56 PM »
They were really strong mofo's. Especially Dave Waddington, Bill Zamaier and Geoff Capes. He was PURE strength, with the log lifts and the 1090 pound deadlift with the silver coins.. I also loved the late 70's tire toss!! haha..

Anyone know where I can find these CLASSIC competitions??

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 12:22:28 PM »
They were really strong mofo's. Especially Dave Waddington, Bill Zamaier and Geoff Capes. He was PURE strength, with the log lifts and the 1090 pound deadlift with the silver coins.. I also loved the late 70's tire toss!! haha..

Anyone know where I can find these CLASSIC competitions??
"Bill Zamaier"?

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 12:48:21 PM »
"Bill Zamaier"?

Oops, I meant to type JKASSSDMAIEEERR.....AKA: Bill Kazmaier.

Care to answer the initial question big guy, or would you prefer to continue pointing out my typos?  ;)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 12:52:33 PM »
Oops, I meant to type JKASSSDMAIEEERR.....AKA: Bill Kazmaier.

Care to answer the initial question big guy, or would you prefer to continue pointing out my typos?  ;)
about ten years ago they used to replay the 76-81 WSM's all the time on ESPN, not so much anymore, check Ironmind.com they might have some copies or they'll know who does.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 12:57:29 PM »
I have seen them for sale on Manfred Hoebels site but they were super expensive like $39.99 each, that was a few years ago
X

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
Youtube it

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 03:23:41 PM »
about ten years ago they used to replay the 76-81 WSM's all the time on ESPN, not so much anymore, check Ironmind.com they might have some copies or they'll know who does.

Yeah, I remember them airing a new WSM competition every night, or was it every week on ESPN in 1995. I had taped ALL the competitions from 1977-1995 on VHS tape, but misplaced the box of tapes over the years (I've moved a few times since then).

Well, I'll check out ironmind.com

Thanks!

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 03:24:42 PM »
Youtube it

Looking for FULL competitions. youtube has 2 or 3, that are chopped to pieces. Thanks though!

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 03:28:54 PM »
Big Bill Kazmaier was the real deal like most of those guys Dude was just POWER.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 03:34:15 PM »
Big Bill Kazmaier was the real deal like most of those guys Dude was just POWER.

Arguably he was one of the strongets men to ever grace the earth. Pure, brute strength. First man to put up 660 pound bench RAW in the late 70's. If he hadn't torn his pec or shoulder, he would have surely smashed his previous record. Watching him do his lifts was incredible. He would get into this zone and he looked like a 340 pound wild bull, crushing ALL his competitors in the strength feats.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 03:35:08 PM »
Arguably he was one of the strongets men to ever grace the earth. Pure, brute strength. First man to put up 660 pound bench RAW in the late 60's. If he hadn't torn his pec or shoulder, he would have surely smashed his previous record. Watching him do his lifts was incredible. He would get into this zone and he looked like a 340 pound wild bull, crushing ALL his competitors in the strength feats.
late 60's? Bill did that 661 bench in the early 1980's.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
late 60's? Bill did that 661 bench in the early 1980's.

Dave right?? Do you spend 24 hours on here scoping out people's typos and jumping on it. I LITERALLY corrected my own typo 5 seconds after posting it, YET, you remarked on my PRE-EDIT before that. Now that is very disturbing.

Don't fucking correct me again, alright? I know my shit and people do make typos. Thanks for being an ass.

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 03:47:38 PM »
Try and find the footage of a strongman contest where Kaz is throwing beer kegs onto a flattop truck the kegs weighed 178lb he threw them like coke cans.Fukka was STRONG.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 03:50:05 PM »
Dave right?? Do you spend 24 hours on here scoping out people's typos and jumping on it. I LITERALLY corrected my own typo 5 seconds after posting it, YET, you remarked on my PRE-EDIT before that. Now that is very disturbing.

Don't fucking correct me again, alright? I know my shit and people do make typos. Thanks for being an ass.
hahahahahhaaa, m-e--l-t-d-o-w-n. ;D

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 03:51:52 PM »
Try and find the footage of a strongman contest where Kaz is throwing beer kegs onto a flattop truck the kegs weighed 178lb he threw them like coke cans.Fukka was STRONG.

You are referring to the 1981 competition, where he was probably in his best shape (PRE-injury) of his life. He came into that competition at 330 pounds that year and had more #1 placings than anyone before, or after.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 05:28:17 PM »

I rmemeber watching on TV when he was doing that.  That is to this day the most impressive show of strength I have ever seen.  It was unreal.  While everyone else was picking them up and carrying them over Kaz stood there and threw them in.  Unreal

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 05:37:06 PM »
Look at the size of Kaz here.  Especially the first few seconds.  Unreal.  this is WAY more impressive than any bodybuilder

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 06:02:40 PM »
I still would say Mariusz is the best ever...with Kaz being next....& Jon Pall

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 06:15:01 PM »
kaz was a friggin beast.  Was that chalk or cocaine? i mean really who was coming close to squatting nearly 1000 pounds that long ago?

friggin intensity at about 3:30 when he's squatting...just crazy.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 06:24:44 PM »
I still would say Mariusz is the best ever...with Kaz being next....& Jon Pall

I think Mariusz is to but given the time and what was available to Kaz back in the 70's compared to what is available to Mariusz nowadays I like Kaz better.  And for weighing 330 pounds Kaz is awesome.  Mariusz physically standing next to him is not even close in physical intimidation.  I have been right next to both of them and Kaz is just simply huge when he was training.  Mariusz is actually way smaller in person than I thought he would be.

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 06:26:59 PM »
You could see before the Keg throwing he was just working out how many he would throw.One of the Best if not the best Strong men ever.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 06:30:39 PM »
I think Mariusz is to but given the time and what was available to Kaz back in the 70's compared to what is available to Mariusz nowadays I like Kaz better.  And for weighing 330 pounds Kaz is awesome.  Mariusz physically standing next to him is not even close in physical intimidation.  I have been right next to both of them and Kaz is just simply huge when he was training.  Mariusz is actually way smaller in person than I thought he would be.

I agree.

Personally...I think Mariusz is the better 'athlete' of the two which would result in more wins by WSM definition.  But, Kaz had more RAW power.