Author Topic: Democrats Shifting on Death Penalty  (Read 355 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Democrats Shifting on Death Penalty
« on: May 03, 2013, 11:35:07 AM »
A trend?

Democrats Shifting on Death Penalty
Friday, 03 May 2013
By John Gizzi

When Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton sought the Democratic nomination for president in 1992, he interrupted his campaigning to return home to witness an execution in his state, and thus underscore the point he was tough on crime.

By contrast, Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley won widespread applause last week among fellow Democrats when he signed a repeal of the death penalty in the Free State.

In signing the repeal, possible 2016 presidential hopeful O’Malley made Maryland the sixth state in as many years to outlaw capital punishment, and the first state south of the Mason-Dixon Line in 50 years to do so.

Noting the contrast between Clinton in 1992 and O’Malley today, NAACP President Ben Jealous told reporters: “Our governor has also just redefined what it means to have a political future in this country.”

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/democrats-shifting-death-penalty/2013/05/03/id/502724

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Re: Democrats Shifting on Death Penalty
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 12:24:47 PM »
I am very Pro-Death Penalty.  I honestly think it isn't used enough.  If they requested volunteers to come down and pull the switch or push the button, I would be there every morning when I had a day off.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 01:24:52 PM »
I am very Pro-Death Penalty.  I honestly think it isn't used enough.  If they requested volunteers to come down and pull the switch or push the button, I would be there every morning when I had a day off.

So you have absolute faith in the justice system.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 06:39:02 PM »
I know I've shifted.  May even still shift.  Used to be all Pro, but the Innocence Project really caused me to rethink this shit.

Now, I don't like the idea that we could very well be executing an innocent person.  But, in some cases, where there isn't much doubt I tend to be for it.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 09:15:32 PM »
I know I've shifted.  May even still shift.  Used to be all Pro, but the Innocence Project really caused me to rethink this shit.

Now, I don't like the idea that we could very well be executing an innocent person.  But, in some cases, where there isn't much doubt I tend to be for it.

There are some cases where all doubt is completely removed.

One thing I have noticed... kill one or two people... you could be executed in 10-15 years or so.  Kill 10-30 people and you never get executed.  Simply life in prison with no parole.  Kind of backwards it appears.