Author Topic: Anyone here think swimmer Dana Torres is clean  (Read 4498 times)

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
Re: Anyone here think swimmer Dana Torres is clean
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 09:35:27 AM »
Thats a great point and truthfully never thought of it that way and could very well be a possibility. But IMO, since the Balco situation I would have to guess that testing would be much more stringent than ever before. Plus you have a person who puts more into her training as an individual than anyone her age so she has that much more to prove. I would like to think she wouldn't put herself in that type of a situation.

Just as you always say concerning health care...who's gonna pay for it???
just not good enough

Moosejay

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2008, 10:08:11 AM »
Just as you always say concerning health care...who's gonna pay for it???

US Olympic committee...easily

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 10:29:10 AM »
US Olympic committee...easily

HA sure they will  ::)

Cause they can't sleep at night knowing some athletes aren't clean, right?  ::)  Drug testing is merely for the general public, that's all.  So YOU can rest easy at night.  :-*
just not good enough

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2008, 12:39:06 PM »

there were talks from congress people about there being a test for GH for this coming Olympics..Guess they are unaware of the half life of GH.. ;D

They said the test was ready for the 2000 Olympics. Until the first failure and first successful defense of the reliability of it in court there is no test.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2008, 12:49:03 PM »
RIn the recent Tour the France a cyclist was busted for a new form of EPO because the drug manufacturer had inserted a tracer in the drug, unbeknownst to the athlete. The drug itself was not picked up on!

Van B,

At first the presence of a tracer was mentioned, but the drug's maker Roche came out and said no there wasn't. They  just sent the drug to the testing labs before it was publicly released, so they could come up with a test for it. I can't find the official Roche statement, but here is a link describing the new form of EPO  (Mircera) , and the TDF business (it's about halfway down the page):

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/tour08/news/?id=/news/2008/jul08/jul18news

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2008, 12:57:45 PM »
I hear Dana Torres mentioned a lot, but nobody is bringing up other older athletes at the games. For example Jeannie Longo, a 49 year old French cyclist, just missed a bronze medal by 1.5 seconds in the woman's cycling time trial.

And no, I don' think she is on dope. She has been leading this sport for 25 years! But unless there is a positive test or a confession, you can't prove a thing either way. Problem is, a lot of people are tarred and feathered as drug users for no other reason than they are damn good at their sport. Such is the pharmaceutical era.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2008, 01:22:52 PM »
Van B,

At first the presence of a tracer was mentioned, but the drug's maker Roche came out and said no there wasn't. They  just sent the drug to the testing labs before it was publicly released, so they could come up with a test for it. I can't find the official Roche statement, but here is a link describing the new form of EPO  (Mircera) , and the TDF business (it's about halfway down the page):

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/tour08/news/?id=/news/2008/jul08/jul18news

Alright. Though I think, being a skeptic, that it's possible they added a marker for other purposes and the denial is semantic to discourage use. WADA has lied about having a test for GH for a long time too, like I mentioned before.

From a cycling forum:
From my understanding of it and talking to a biological chemist Roche have apparently placed a genetic marker in the drug for tracing. This tracing I gather was mainly for checking the effects of the drug in the body but they also notified the relevant sporting organisations that it can be detected during drug testing.