Author Topic: Mike Matarazzo - Fighting For His Life (RIP 08/17/2014)  (Read 80891 times)

Mawse

• Getbig IV
Re: Mike Matarazzo Fighting For His Life
« Reply #250 on: August 08, 2014, 10:18:25 AM »
BTW niacin is well known to raise HDL, but it too has innumerable side effects.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/niacin/art-20046208

The best natural agents I have seen to raise good cholesterol and lower bad are diet, exercise, weight loss, oatmeal, and maybe red yeast rice. Funny about red yeast rice is the original product had lovastatin in it.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/red-yeast-rice-and-cholesterol/

"You may have heard that a large study that examined the effect of niacin to raise HDL cholesterol was stopped early. This study examined how niacin worked when used with statin medications for people who have a history of heart disease. The trial was stopped because no difference was seen between people who took prescription-strength niacin and people who took a placebo"

That wasn't the scientifically sound, intellectually honest study that used extended-release niacin was it?

its a pretty moot point however as unless I missed something none of these studies actually prove the Lipid Hypothesis. That first article you link to is full of disclaimers.

"

The report raises concerns over the level of prescription for the statins. It furthers already existing concerns about the validity of the drug in the first place. One of the reasons for using statin is to reduce cholesterol, which is assumed to be a key risk factor in heart attacks and other cardiovascular problems. Although the general medical consensus asserts the link, and the subsequent benefit of the use of statin, other research suggests otherwise.

A quick glance of research from the UK shows that high cholesterol decreased dramatically between 1994 and 2006, from 84 percent down to 54 percent in 65 to 74 year olds. During this period coronary heart disease did not drop with it, suggesting that the correlation may at least be exaggerated. The UK in general has a low-level of cholesterol, whilst having one of the highest rates of coronary events in the world."

nicorulez

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #251 on: August 08, 2014, 10:26:08 AM »
Mawse,

CAD is from multiple factors and not just cholesterol. Diabetes, smoking, hypertension, obesity, genetics, and lipids all contribute. All I am stating is that when the leading cardiologists in the world essentially unanimously espouse their use...statins....there is something positive to be gained. A lot of new theories feel that it is not the essential lowering of any number but possibly the anti-inflammatory effect of statins that are beneficial.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/106/16/2041.long

Thus, they work by multiple mechanisms of action and not just the simplified lower you LDL to this goal level...those goal level recommendations for triglycerides, HDL, and LDL are all removed in the latest guidelines.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #252 on: August 08, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »
Considering that more people die as a result of cardio vascular disease, it is no wonder it gets so much attention. As mentioned, not just one factor is the cause of cardio vascular disease, their are many things which affect it.

My parents, to the best of my knowledge, never had their cholesterol checked. It is possible that they had high cholesterol and mine is a result of genetics. Neither of my parents died from clogged arteries. My mom died from heart failure caused by end-stage emphysema and 40 some odd years of chain smoking. My dad died, also at a comparatively young age from stomach cancer.

We are all going to die of something sooner or later. I am doing everything I can to make it later rather than sooner. So for me, statins are the way to go. Fortunately, I don't suffer side effects from them....or from Niacin, for that matter.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #253 on: August 09, 2014, 05:36:39 PM »

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #254 on: August 14, 2014, 06:42:08 PM »

Mr. Zimbabwe

• Getbig IV
« Reply #255 on: August 17, 2014, 09:19:19 AM »
Mel Chancey posted today that Mike has past.  Mel Chancey had been good friends with Mike for 25 years.  May Mike rest in peace.  He was a fun guy and I was lucky to meet Mike and chat on a few occasions.