Author Topic: Obesity  (Read 8832 times)

Deadpool

• Getbig V
Re: Obesity
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2006, 07:48:05 AM »
did you see the discovery channel special Obese at 16 about a kid who underwent gastric bypass
X

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2006, 08:50:16 AM »
did you see the discovery channel special Obese at 16 about a kid who underwent gastric bypass

yes, and he looked amazing after.  hopefully he can keep it all off and have a normal adulthood.

I cant help but wonder if he would have been able to take it off without surgery....just plain ol' exercise and diet

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2006, 08:58:39 AM »
the sad thing is that a large percentage of these people develop hunger painss after a year and many willregain much of the weight.  They will eat and continue to strecth their stomachs.  The surgery has to be followed by behavior modification stuy in order t be effective.  It is a drastic surgery and there are other options like the gastric band.  Hopefully they will learn to keep it off. 

Bypass

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2006, 10:49:34 AM »
You are absolutely right, it is sad to say that nearly 20% of the people who have the surgery initially have success with losing the weight, however they fail to realize it is just a tool to be used for the first 9 months to a year, to jump start their weight loss, but as you say with out a change in lifestyle, education, nutrition and exercise, they will put the weight back on. I personally know several people, who took the surgery as a silver bullet, miracle cure if you would, and initially lost weight, but after 2 years are back to nearly where they started. I for one, risked my life to get where I am, and live my life every day in a healthy way, I continue to make sure through, diet and exercise, I keep my body working properly, could I eat 10 cheeseburgers, not all at once, but I could over the course of the day, giving me the same caloric intake I used to have, and that is what happens to these people, rather than eating 4-5 small meals spaced out through the day, they graze, eating constantly, stretching their stomachs, back to where they can eat more and more. I am currently working with several surgeons in my area, and a national support website, to help these people with an aftercare program through my company, that provides a 12 week, exercise and nutritional supoort, from personal trainers and dietitians.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2006, 11:00:01 AM »
i have seen this too as i know of severl people this has happened to or was starting to happen to.  Luckily one was smart enough to control it the correct way.  the other two haven't.  There is no miracle cure, well there is, but it takes effort and dediciation.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2006, 12:58:54 PM »
the diet and exersize route is hard...but it is working for me
X

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2006, 08:07:22 PM »
I think it just would depend on the man involved.

Ooops. My bad. You are absolutely correct!  :)

I think there are men on here that can have intelligent and mature debates.  But the environment of the message board (and maybe getbig in particular) tends to bend toward taking things to the extreme.

(but I agree, I also appreciate proschic and flower :)  )

Yes definitely. I know there are guys on here who exemplify the spirit of decency & civility, and I didn't mean to imply they would behave otherwise. I guess I just wish we had more men in this world (and particularly in these forums) who realized that their masculinity does NOT stem from how many people they can assault physically, rhetorically, literally, or figuratively.  :'(

This world would be soooo much better off.  :)
w

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2006, 08:09:05 PM »
Wow Bypass. Congratulations!
w

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2006, 05:24:50 AM »
Ooops. My bad. You are absolutely correct!  :)

Yes definitely. I know there are guys on here who exemplify the spirit of decency & civility, and I didn't mean to imply they would behave otherwise. I guess I just wish we had more men in this world (and particularly in these forums) who realized that their masculinity does NOT stem from how many people they can assault physically, rhetorically, literally, or figuratively.  :'(

This world would be soooo much better off.  :)

HI!
sorry goatboy, stealing your line, lol

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2006, 08:02:05 AM »
yes, and he looked amazing after.  hopefully he can keep it all off and have a normal adulthood.

I cant help but wonder if he would have been able to take it off without surgery....just plain ol' exercise and diet

that kid prolly woulda been able to without surgery..remember..even his sister said he ws lazy..he took the easy way out...plus the long term side effects or gastric bypass (20 plus yrs) are not known...

funny how the fda thinks cutting up a human body is A-ok to help someone look good...but gear will kill ya :-\

carpe` vaginum!

Bypass

• Getbig II
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2006, 08:23:12 AM »
Thank you Jaguar. Toxic one thing that alot of people don't understand is that the Gastric Bypass procedure is actually a modified version of a surgery that Oncologists have been doing for over 25 years for patients with Stomach Cancer, that is actually how my surgeon got into Bariatric surgery, the wife of one of his cancer patients wanted the bypass, he researched it and started doing the procedure. There are many people who are 10 years plus with the procedure, it has just become very popular in the past 5 years, with the celebrities publicizing it. I do feel however they are too lax on who can or can not have the surgery, especially the lap band procedures, I still feel you need to be 100+ lbs over weight, with a bmi of at least 30 to qualify, however that is not the case, many people 70 - 80 lbs, are now getting the procedure, it should be a last ditch effort to save your life, not a cosmetic procedure, because you aren't willing to change your lifestyle. And this is coming from someone who's had it.

proschic

• Getbig III
  • like a midget in a urinal.....
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2006, 09:28:48 AM »
that kid prolly woulda been able to without surgery..remember..even his sister said he ws lazy..he took the easy way out...plus the long term side effects or gastric bypass (20 plus yrs) are not known...

funny how the fda thinks cutting up a human body is A-ok to help someone look good...but gear will kill ya :-\

hahaha...yea and alcohol is legal.  You gotta love America.  We are so politically correct!!

Has anyone seen this new "lap band" procedure?  From what I have read, its a joke!  I am wondering if anyone knows a person who has had this done?? 

Bypass

• Getbig II
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2006, 10:28:37 AM »
The lap band is basically a restrictive procedure that can be adjusted to make the stomach smaller or bigger, it has about a 45% failure rate, do to the fact that people can eat more and more, and have it removed altogether, much higher incidents of strictures, as they usually adjust the band too tight at first, it's not a permanent procedure but it's shown as a jump start procedure, usually for people who are scared of gastric bypass or have between 80 - 100 lbs to lose, lap banders will lose around 65% of their excess weight with the procedure, where a gastric bypass patient will lose up to 80 - 85% of their excess weight directly from the procedure, before having to work the rest off through diet and exercise.

proschic

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2006, 10:54:31 AM »
The lap band is basically a restrictive procedure that can be adjusted to make the stomach smaller or bigger, it has about a 45% failure rate, do to the fact that people can eat more and more, and have it removed altogether, much higher incidents of strictures, as they usually adjust the band too tight at first, it's not a permanent procedure but it's shown as a jump start procedure, usually for people who are scared of gastric bypass or have between 80 - 100 lbs to lose, lap banders will lose around 65% of their excess weight with the procedure, where a gastric bypass patient will lose up to 80 - 85% of their excess weight directly from the procedure, before having to work the rest off through diet and exercise.

Its basically at band they put around the top of the stomach, right.  How does it effect digestion?  From what I understand, you have 2 smaller stomachs.  Does it teach you to eat smaller meals more frequently?  I honestly dont see how it can be beneficial to your body.  Especially since there is a foreign object wrapped around your stomach.  Are there any stats on abruption, infection, or any other problems associated with this procedure?

Bypass

• Getbig II
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »
your absolutely right, it is a tool to help them lose the weight and learn to eat smaller meals more frequently, but if they remove it at the end of the weight loss, and they haven't changed their habits, yo-yo city, the weight will come back on, it does nothing for digestion, it is a "safer" surgery, much less invasive and is why it is becoming popular, but it is simply a restrictive procedure and does nothing with the digestion or absorption of the food. Not worth the 20k people or should I say, insurance companies are paying for it, much to high a rate of failure, and people having revisions to gastric bypass in a few years.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2006, 07:06:19 AM »
Ya know, seriously now, I am thinking I will need surgery.  :(

However, it will be at THE END of my lifestyle change, not to start it.

I can see where I have been too big for too long, and the skin may never snap back tight.  I want to get down to a normal weight and stay down, but at some point there might be extra skin that I want trimmed off.  I hope I don't need it, the surgery has risks, but I'll be damned if I get down and stay down, I want the finishing touch

sounds pretty disgusting though  :-X
X

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2006, 07:11:06 AM »
Ya know, seriously now, I am thinking I will need surgery.  :(

However, it will be at THE END of my lifestyle change, not to start it.

I can see where I have been too big for too long, and the skin may never snap back tight.  I want to get down to a normal weight and stay down, but at some point there might be extra skin that I want trimmed off.  I hope I don't need it, the surgery has risks, but I'll be damned if I get down and stay down, I want the finishing touch

sounds pretty disgusting though  :-X

by the way how much ahave you lost?  I now the last time was near 25pound right.  That is awesome. 

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2006, 09:32:01 AM »

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2006, 09:33:12 AM »
Apparently it takes a good three to six months for skin to snap back after a big weight loss.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2006, 09:50:51 AM »
there are also studies that say larger people need more vit c, and other things to promote collagen synthesis.  also there is a massage technique that is supposed to help build collagen and tighten the skin. I'll see if i can find the study and techniques.  I recently saw a whole body lift on a gil who had gastric bypass

proschic

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2006, 10:15:18 AM »
there are also studies that say larger people need more vit c, and other things to promote collagen synthesis.  also there is a massage technique that is supposed to help build collagen and tighten the skin. I'll see if i can find the study and techniques.  I recently saw a whole body lift on a gil who had gastric bypass

i saw that too...all i can say is wow.  talk about putting your body thru some serious shit!  we are lucky to be so resilient.  although she looked OK, it wasn't anything to call home about.  Imo...it was not worth the money, time, or effort. 

Migs...I have been meaning to tell you.  I freakin LOVE your avatar!  Its very mesmerizing.  I can't help but stare!  I'm thinkin that with the pregnancy...I could probably pull that off!

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2006, 10:31:26 AM »
i saw that too...all i can say is wow.  talk about putting your body thru some serious shit!  we are lucky to be so resilient.  although she looked OK, it wasn't anything to call home about.  Imo...it was not worth the money, time, or effort. 

Migs...I have been meaning to tell you.  I freakin LOVE your avatar!  Its very mesmerizing.  I can't help but stare!  I'm thinkin that with the pregnancy...I could probably pull that off!

SOme surgeries are incredibly dastic.  HTere was a woman who lost 200+ pounds and went throughface lift, lipo on arms and cut off the excess skin there, breast lift and impnat, tummy tightneing and full body lift.  then they worked on her lower body.  even did liposuction around bikini area including the fat pad.  Drastic, but she looked much better afterwards, especillay since many of the stracth marks were removed.  Thanks for the um, compliment lol.  I think i can hypnotize and charge people with it. lol.  and no soment on the rest of what you said  :P 

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2006, 06:39:47 AM »

google ascorbyl palmitate...its fat  soluble vitamin c

and u r welcome!
carpe` vaginum!

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2006, 12:42:08 PM »
since you asked, total is nearing 40 pounds
X

Bypass

• Getbig II
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2006, 01:58:45 PM »
My skin won't snap back, it's been stretched so far for so long, that I need a complete circumfrential body lift, which is basically cutting my body in half and removing about 9" to a foot of skin, from my midsection then stitching me back together, but again, I am 34 and have been over 300 lbs. for the last 22 years, so it has no elasticity.