Author Topic: All things LA Lakers  (Read 42189 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: All things LA Lakers
« Reply #350 on: April 17, 2014, 12:52:46 PM »
You really think he's the problem? Blame it on the GM, a past his prime self-centered ball hog and the shitty personnel. D'Antoni is an up tempo coach with an oft-injured PG he wishes was 8 years younger from his Phoenix days.

Yes.  They should have hired Phil.  Huge mistake.  I don't blame him for the injuries, but he did a lousy job even without the injuries. 

I don't fault Mitch Kupchak for much of anything.  I think Jim Buss was the reason they hired D'Antoni over Phil.  Kupchak has done a phenomenal job.  I think trading Blake was a mistake, but I'm a believer in him as a GM.  And he has the championships to prove it. 

If by "past his prime self-centered ball hog" you mean the five-time champion Kobe, that isn't factual at all.  Kobe had one of the best years of his career in 2012 and he missed the entire 2013-14 season, so no, he's not to blame in any way for the reason the Lakers suck.  He's the reason they made the playoffs last year. 

The personnel, when healthy, was actually not bad.  Not a contender, but not a lottery team either. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #351 on: April 17, 2014, 01:29:11 PM »
Yes.  They should have hired Phil.  Huge mistake.  I don't blame him for the injuries, but he did a lousy job even without the injuries.  

I don't fault Mitch Kupchak for much of anything.  I think Jim Buss was the reason they hired D'Antoni over Phil.  Kupchak has done a phenomenal job.  I think trading Blake was a mistake, but I'm a believer in him as a GM.  And he has the championships to prove it.  

If by "past his prime self-centered ball hog" you mean the five-time champion Kobe, that isn't factual at all.  Kobe had one of the best years of his career in 2012 and he missed the entire 2013-14 season, so no, he's not to blame in any way for the reason the Lakers suck.  He's the reason they made the playoffs last year.  

The personnel, when healthy, was actually not bad.  Not a contender, but not a lottery team either.  

I don't doubt Kobe's determination. But I think he's shot. Missing this amount of time due to injuries at his age....I think he's nearly done.

And it's not as if Howard would have stayed if Jackson was the coach last year. Howard is a head case prima donna and simply did like playing with Kobe. He was gone no matter what.

This is going to be a painful rebuilding process with Kobe in the final stages of his career. It's not going to be pretty. They've had their time in the sun. And now it's over and it will be for years, sorry to say. Just my .02. It's not like Lebron or Carmelo are coming to L.A. Sure, the draft will be talented but there's no guarantee that they land a marquee talent to build around while Kobe is still relevant.

The Lakers will be reminicent of the Wizards of 2002-2003 with an ageing Michael Jordan and a crappy supporting cast.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #352 on: April 17, 2014, 01:42:47 PM »
I don't doubt Kobe's determination. But I think he's shot. Missing this amount of time due to injuries at his age....I think he's nearly done.

And it's not as if Howard would have stayed if Jackson was the coach last year. Howard is a head case prima donna and simply did like playing with Kobe. He was gone no matter what.

This is going to be a painful rebuilding process with Kobe in the final stages of his career. It's not going to be pretty. They've had their time in the sun. And now it's over and it will be for years, sorry to say. Just my .02. It's not like Lebron or Carmelo are coming to L.A. Sure, the draft will be talented but there's no guarantee that they land a marquee talent to build around while Kobe is still relevant.

The Lakers will be reminicent of the Wizards of 2002-2003 with an ageing Michael Jordan and a crappy supporting cast.

I don't know what will happen with Kobe, but he has been cleared to resume full-time workouts.  He's going to have six months to prep.  If anyone can come back, it's him.  And I don't know why you have hate for someone who just wants to win.  He reminds of me of the old days of the NBA, where players came to play every night.   

I think Howard would have stayed if Phil was the coach.  Phil is a master.  The fact he won three rings with Shaq and Kobe and their personalities/drama is pretty incredible. 

I don't think the rebuilding process will be that painful.  LA is still one of the top franchises in the NBA.  They will not have trouble attacking free agents.  And LA will have at least a top six lottery pick this year.   :'(  I have no idea who is coming, but if you look at Kupchak's history, I think he's going to do fine.   

Remember Kupchak convinced Malone and Payton to basically play for free and they came within three games of a championship, even with Kobe's rape trial drama. 

Kupchak also traded for Howard, and even though Howard left, it was a good trade because Bynum subsequently left the reservation. 

Kupchak also traded for Pau, a year after the Lakers were one of the worst teams in the NBA.

Kupchak traded for Ariza who helped win a championship.  He then signed Artest/World Peace, who helped win a championship.

Kupchak traded for Chris Paul, before Stern stepped in and vetoed.  I hope Stern has chronic diarrhea in his retirement.   >:(

You really doubt what Kupchak can do?  I have no idea what he has planned, but if history is a guide, it will be good.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #353 on: April 17, 2014, 01:54:18 PM »
I don't hate Kobe....I agree with you...he is a throwback to the old days....his will to win is second to none. But first the achilles injury then the knee injury back to back....As an athlete your mind tells you one thing but the body doesn't exactly cooperate once you hit a certain age.

I just don't think you'll see top flight free agents clamoring to come play with Kobe at this stage of his career. Pau should've been traded a long time ago and now a good return in trade value for him has expired, I think. I think the only reason Pau hasn't been traded yet is that Kobe has such a hard-on for him.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #354 on: April 17, 2014, 02:24:20 PM »
I don't hate Kobe....I agree with you...he is a throwback to the old days....his will to win is second to none. But first the achilles injury then the knee injury back to back....As an athlete your mind tells you one thing but the body doesn't exactly cooperate once you hit a certain age.

I just don't think you'll see top flight free agents clamoring to come play with Kobe at this stage of his career. Pau should've been traded a long time ago and now a good return in trade value for him has expired, I think. I think the only reason Pau hasn't been traded yet is that Kobe has such a hard-on for him.

I agree the odds are against Kobe.  But if there is any athlete who can do it, it's him. 

It isn't just about coming to play with Kobe.  It's about what the franchise will do for the next 5 to 10 years, which is based in part on the franchise's history.  That's what will attract FAs to LA.  And that's partly why Howard's decision was so stupid.   

Pau was traded.  I think they did try and move him again, but Kupchak wasn't going to just give him away.  That was the right thing to do. 

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #355 on: April 17, 2014, 05:53:49 PM »
At this point people (including myself) often forget that this team traded for Chris Paul and Dwight Howard.  They went big and it could have played out a lot different.  Stern shit canned the CP3 trade and without him that chances of keeping Dwight were zero.  I hate Dwight but a team of Kobe, Chris Paul and Dwight Howard would have been a monster.  What LA is working with now is plan B, C, and D.  Shit happens, try something else.  LA will be back, hopefully Kobe will still be around when it does.  We'll see.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #356 on: April 19, 2014, 05:36:49 AM »
At this point people (including myself) often forget that this team traded for Chris Paul and Dwight Howard.  They went big and it could have played out a lot different.  Stern shit canned the CP3 trade and without him that chances of keeping Dwight were zero.  I hate Dwight but a team of Kobe, Chris Paul and Dwight Howard would have been a monster.  What LA is working with now is plan B, C, and D.  Shit happens, try something else.  LA will be back, hopefully Kobe will still be around when it does.  We'll see.
I never understood that Stern/CP3 bullshit. The commish shouldn't have a damn thing to say about any trade, as long as it follows the rules.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #357 on: April 20, 2014, 04:05:40 AM »
I never understood that Stern/CP3 bullshit. The commish shouldn't have a damn thing to say about any trade, as long as it follows the rules.

That was total bullshit.  When people questioned Stern as to why he vetoed the deal he basically told everyone to fuck off.  I'm glad that tyrant is out of there but the new commissioner looks like he's going to be at least as bad if not worse. 

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #358 on: April 22, 2014, 08:27:40 AM »
Kobe needs to pay the new guy a visit.  Walk into his office with his cock dangling out of his fly.  All majestic and veiny, lock the door behind him and set him straight.  Sure his dick looks like one of those cigars that Cogswell and Mr. Spacely used to smoke.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #359 on: April 30, 2014, 06:39:20 PM »
D'Antoni is gone.  THANK YOU. 

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #360 on: April 30, 2014, 09:59:42 PM »
D'Antoni is gone.  THANK YOU. 

Oh happy day!

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #361 on: May 01, 2014, 10:49:22 AM »
I thought Magic Johnson's tweet about the D'Antoni firing was classless.

Anyway, rumor has it that the Lakers are going after Ollie or Calipari.

I never understood why NBA franchises choose to hire college coaches that have never coached on the NBA level. I know Calipari and Pitino coached the pros before but they never won anything.

Didn't work for Tarkanian with the Spurs or Floyd with the Bulls. Why would it work for Ollie? I don't get it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #362 on: May 01, 2014, 11:42:36 AM »
I agree about Magic's comments.  He was right, but there is a big difference between some nameless dummy on the internet (i.e., me) saying it and a public figure like Magic. 

In any event, I am incredibly happy he is gone. 

Nobody really knows who they will target at this point.  Eric Pincus (a reliable beat writer) has been advocating for Ollie.  I'm open to that hiring.  He brings a lot of good things to the table, including a great relationship with Durant who might be available in 2016. 

There is a lot of talk about B. Scott.  I like him too.  He can possibly lure Irving when he is available.   

If I was in charge, I'd hire Larry Brown with Ollie and Scott as assistants.  But maybe that's why I'm not in charge.   :)

Or how about this staff?  Rambis, Scott, Kareem, Worthy, and Magic?   :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #363 on: May 01, 2014, 12:08:32 PM »
Just saw this:

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 2m

The Lakers plan to reach out to the Chicago Bulls for permission to interview Tom Thibodeau, a league source tells http://ESPNLosAngeles.com

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #364 on: May 01, 2014, 12:20:03 PM »
And this:

Mike_Bresnahan: Lakers will interview George Karl, Jeff Van Gundy, Byron Scott and Rambis for coaching vacancy. Also, as reported earlier, Calipari + Ollie

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #365 on: May 01, 2014, 12:34:31 PM »
I agree about Magic's comments.  He was right, but there is a big difference between some nameless dummy on the internet (i.e., me) saying it and a public figure like Magic. 

In any event, I am incredibly happy he is gone. 

Nobody really knows who they will target at this point.  Eric Pincus (a reliable beat writer) has been advocating for Ollie.  I'm open to that hiring.  He brings a lot of good things to the table, including a great relationship with Durant who might be available in 2016. 

There is a lot of talk about B. Scott.  I like him too.  He can possibly lure Irving when he is available.   

If I was in charge, I'd hire Larry Brown with Ollie and Scott as assistants.  But maybe that's why I'm not in charge.   :)

Or how about this staff?  Rambis, Scott, Kareem, Worthy, and Magic?   :D

Why would you want the Lakers to hire Ollie? That goes back to my earlier post about why pro teams sign successful college coaches. I can't think of one college coach that made the transition to the NBA and won anything.

And Durant is coming home to DC in 2016. Wall, Beal, and Durant? The next big 3 in the NBA.  ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #366 on: May 01, 2014, 12:46:23 PM »
Why would you want the Lakers to hire Ollie? That goes back to my earlier post about why pro teams sign successful college coaches. I can't think of one college coach that made the transition to the NBA and won anything.

And Durant is coming home to DC in 2016. Wall, Beal, and Durant? The next big 3 in the NBA.  ;)

Because Ollie has NBA playing and coaching experience, is from LA, and just won a national championship.  He's pretty highly regarded from what I hear.  Durant loves him. 

And if Durant keeps playing like the invisible man, you can have him.  lol  I'd take him in a heartbeat. 

LA is apparently going to talk to a lot of people.  That's good. 

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10867253/los-angeles-lakers-plan-court-kevin-ollie-uconn-huskies-john-calipari-kentucky-wildcats

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #367 on: May 01, 2014, 12:59:06 PM »
Just saw this:

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 2m

The Lakers plan to reach out to the Chicago Bulls for permission to interview Tom Thibodeau, a league source tells http://ESPNLosAngeles.com

Thibodeau?  Do it, do it! 

If LA ends up with Calipari that is going to prove to me that their management is incompetent.  They seem to want big names rather than guys who are a good fit.  In The NBA Calipari can't just bribe the best players to all come to his team.  The NBA is a different animal and that douchebag isn't going to work there.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #368 on: May 01, 2014, 01:00:34 PM »
Because Ollie has NBA playing and coaching experience, is from LA, and just won a national championship.  He's pretty highly regarded from what I hear.  Durant loves him. 

And if Durant keeps playing like the invisible man, you can have him.  lol  I'd take him in a heartbeat. 

LA is apparently going to talk to a lot of people.  That's good. 

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10867253/los-angeles-lakers-plan-court-kevin-ollie-uconn-huskies-john-calipari-kentucky-wildcats

Yeah crazy to think that both Indiana and OKC could fall out of the playoffs tonight. I think Indiana dominates game 6 and wins game 7. it's so crazy how bad they got beat on their home floor in game 5. Memphis pulls the upset over OKC I think.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #369 on: May 01, 2014, 01:00:52 PM »
Thibodeau?  Do it, do it! 

If LA ends up with Calipari that is going to prove to me that their management is incompetent.  They seem to want big names rather than guys who are a good fit.  In The NBA Calipari can't just bribe the best players to all come to his team.  The NBA is a different animal and that douchebag isn't going to work there.

Thibodeau is a very good coach.  I wouldn't mind that hire at all.  

Not sure what I think about Calipari?  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #370 on: May 01, 2014, 01:02:13 PM »
Yeah crazy to think that both Indiana and OKC could fall out of the playoffs tonight. I think Indiana dominates game 6 and wins game 7. it's so crazy how bad they got beat on their home floor in game 5. Memphis pulls the upset over OKC I think.

You would think Indiana would walk all over Atlanta?  What do you think is wrong with Hibbert? 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #371 on: May 01, 2014, 01:42:44 PM »
You would think Indiana would walk all over Atlanta?  What do you think is wrong with Hibbert? 

Good question. Who really knows. Possibly a woman problem or confidence problem. he needs to get his shit together tonight or their season is over. The Bynum signing really worked out for the Pacers...lol

There was one play in game 3 where Hibbert pulled up for a missed jumper instead of posting down low against a smaller opponent.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #372 on: May 01, 2014, 02:40:29 PM »
Good question. Who really knows. Possibly a woman problem or confidence problem. he needs to get his shit together tonight or their season is over. The Bynum signing really worked out for the Pacers...lol

There was one play in game 3 where Hibbert pulled up for a missed jumper instead of posting down low against a smaller opponent.

Yeah Bynum really lost it. 

No player over 7 feet tall should be shooting jumpers.  Shameful. 

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #373 on: May 01, 2014, 02:47:36 PM »
Yeah Bynum really lost it. 

No player over 7 feet tall should be shooting jumpers.  Shameful. 
The Pacers were only on the hook for about 1 million for Bynum.

It's the 76ers who should be pissed. Dude is a money stealing pussy.

How do you look fine, play a couple decent games for the Pacers, and then claim bad knees again?

Wouldn't a physical exam show that his knees were shot? A couple of games wouldn't make the difference.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #374 on: May 01, 2014, 03:22:23 PM »
The Pacers were only on the hook for about 1 million for Bynum.

It's the 76ers who should be pissed. Dude is a money stealing pussy.

How do you look fine, play a couple decent games for the Pacers, and then claim bad knees again?

Wouldn't a physical exam show that his knees were shot? A couple of games wouldn't make the difference.

insurance paid him for that sixers season.
his knees are shot, the sixers found that out.