Author Topic: Rack Pull-ups.. does anyone do it like this?  (Read 2093 times)

AVBG

Rack Pull-ups.. does anyone do it like this?
« on: February 13, 2007, 06:54:23 PM »
Ron Harris posting his Rack chins/pullups.. Does anyone else do it like this?

Seems a bit out there.. but what do I know?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: Rack Pull-ups.. does anyone do it like this?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 07:33:04 PM »

I do these all the time - without the weight - sometimes with my feet on a stability ball.  I would think it would be fairly easy for a guy who can do regular bodyweight pullups.
:

AVBG

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 07:38:12 PM »
I do these all the time - without the weight - sometimes with my feet on a stability ball.  I would think it would be fairly easy for a guy who can do regular bodyweight pullups.

Thanks for the reply Princess L.. What benefit would these be over the traditional pull/up chin?

I do the normal med/wide grip version and have never seen this done in this way.

Without having done these, I would suggest to say ..

1.a better contraction?
2. Similar to a lat pulldown?

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 04:56:18 AM »
Thanks for the reply Princess L.. What benefit would these be over the traditional pull/up chin?

I do the normal med/wide grip version and have never seen this done in this way.

Without having done these, I would suggest to say ..

1.a better contraction?
2. Similar to a lat pulldown?

if you take the time to set yourself up the right way for this movement and keep it strict-back straight with perhaps a little arch to it, grip should be very wide-it's supposed to be very effective. 
nasser=piece of shit

AVBG

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 09:19:31 AM »
if you take the time to set yourself up the right way for this movement and keep it strict-back straight with perhaps a little arch to it, grip should be very wide-it's supposed to be very effective. 

so please tell me the benefit of doing them like that? over traditional chins? To me it seems like a shortcut for people who cant lift their BW.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 09:28:12 AM »
so please tell me the benefit of doing them like that? over traditional chins? To me it seems like a shortcut for people who cant lift their BW.

well first, it's just an alternative to chins, I dont' know if it should really replace chins if your good at them.  Second, even though you're initially lifting lighter weight you can add weight on a pretty regular basis so you'll have progressive resistance going for you.  The form is different than chins if done how I understand them, there might not be any benefit to them, I've never done them but I do know guys that are very strong that swear by them.  I honestly have not read up how to do them in along time, I'll look for a link on how DC wants you to do them and post it. 

Alot of what DC has people do is for variation and to keep strength levels constantly moving forward.  If you initailly do weighted chins, front pulldowns and hammer pulldowns in your routine and you top out on chins-meaning you no longer beat the log book in terms of reps or weight added you move another movement into your rotation and start pounding at that one until you can't get any stronger.  Rack chins are something that you can move into your routine and make pretty good strength gains with. 

i'll do some looking for an explanation and post it when I find it.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 10:08:26 AM »
Back Width: With all width movements rest paused I like front pull downs to the chin, rear pull downs to the mid-ear level (no lower), gravitron chins (the air compressor one with the platform), hammer under grip pull downs, and rack chins. Rack chins: Find the widest smythe machine you can (or barbell in a squat rack) and put a bench in front of it- put the bar about shoulder height- use wrist straps and put your grip as wide as comfortably possible-put your heels up on the bench but cross your legs to take them out of the movement- your legs should almost be straight but not quite- now do chins explosively up and 8 seconds down until the full stretch- any rep that your chin doesn’t either go over the bar or hit the bar doesn’t count! Do one warm-up set and then have someone put a fixed plate barbell (like used for barbell curls) in your lap. On every rest pause the spotter grabs the barbell off the chinners lap and the chinner stands up and counts his 15 deep breaths (and he stays strapped up to the bar). Then the chinner gets back into position after 15 deep breaths and the spotter puts the barbell back on the chinners lap. I want one warm-up straight set with no added weight done for 10-12 reps and then one all out rest pause set for 15 to 20 reps with added weight (use a 30lb barbell this first time out), then 10-30 short range static reps at the end. These are going to be excruciating and tomorrow your lats are going to be killing you.

that's the way they are described in the old dogg logg, I think-well I know-he went a little overboard with the 8 second negative, just make sure the negative portion of the movement is controlled and you'll be fine.
nasser=piece of shit

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 07:51:53 PM »

Totally different line of pull on the lats.  These, you're practically parallel to the floor vs perpendicular.
:

AVBG

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 07:55:21 PM »

Totally different line of pull on the lats.  These, you're practically parallel to the floor vs perpendicular.

almost like a BB row motion? I might try them in tomorrows workout. Thanks Princess L & Natural Al  for your input.
 :)

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 05:47:28 AM »
actually just watched the video for the first time, sorry.  The way Ron's doing them isn't exactly how I understand them, you're body should be more perpendicular to the floor.  Ron has correspondace with DC so maybe they're doing them like this for a particular reason?
nasser=piece of shit

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 01:09:04 PM »
hahahahaha. this guy is on juice.     and he looks like this.      hahahahaha.         
d[-_-]b actin all cool

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 03:51:56 PM »
hahahahaha. this guy is on juice.     and he looks like this.      hahahahaha.         

he's been natural for years.
nasser=piece of shit

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 03:52:49 PM »

It's for fat guys that cannot do a real chin up.
just push some weight!

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 05:38:46 PM »
I don't think they're anywhere near as effective as straight chins.  They might be useful for beginners, or people who can't lift their own weight.  But for experienced trainers looking for something a bit different, you'd be better off keeping with chins but trying new hand spacings, reverse grips, behind-the-neck (carefully), etc.

If you think about it a 200lb guy with 100lb in his lap is only actually lifting 150lb cos the legs take half the weight off.  So you're not even lifting any heavier.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 09:57:16 PM »
actually just watched the video for the first time, sorry.  The way Ron's doing them isn't exactly how I understand them, you're body should be more perpendicular to the floor.  Ron has correspondace with DC so maybe they're doing them like this for a particular reason?

Agreed -
Otherwise the line of pull is basically the same as a chin
:

BuffGoddess

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Failure is not an option, train hard, get big.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 12:34:25 AM »
I watched the video. Okay the arms need to be wider, elbows need to be more forward so as to engage the lats totally. It was a good idea for beginners to get the feel of how to do a pull-up, but how many of us old-school bodybuilders are going to do it that way? We use weighted belts and spotters to keep our bodies in line. Thats why we have lats 4to5 inches wider than the new kids...and our S.A.'s are so defined...for you newbies: Serratus Anterior (the fingers above your lats)

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 06:51:51 AM »
I wonder if there was a BB board waaay back when they first introduced lat pulldowns if there would be this much bitching?  Why not just chin?  I can see it now...lol.  It's just an alternative, you guys take things way to literally, nobody told you to stop chinning if you like it.

I don't think they're anywhere near as effective as straight chins.  They might be useful for beginners, or people who can't lift their own weight.  But for experienced trainers looking for something a bit different, you'd be better off keeping with chins but trying new hand spacings, reverse grips, behind-the-neck (carefully), etc.

If you think about it a 200lb guy with 100lb in his lap is only actually lifting 150lb cos the legs take half the weight off.  So you're not even lifting any heavier.
nasser=piece of shit