Author Topic: Why do most women dislike NFL football?  (Read 7455 times)

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
Why do most women dislike NFL football?
« on: September 26, 2006, 04:14:54 PM »
My wife is pretty tolerant of it, but for many of my friends, their wives/girlfriends detest football season.
It's a 5 month, once a week affair for men to act like asses and be like children. I personally believe it's because women can't compete with the attention that men give to it. Any answers?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Why do most women dislike NFL football?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 04:26:08 PM »
I have no problem w/it. 

Go Eagles! ;D

and then go Bears ;D
R

mish

• Getbig III
  • We'll start the ass-kissing with you.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 05:10:33 PM »
I don't get what the big deal is either... either watch it with your man or find something else to do for a couple of hours what's the big deal? The only time I had issues was when my ex used to try to monopolize both tv's (depending on where you sat in the living room you could see one of the other tv's) - he used to call it "ghetto picture-in-picture"  ;D
BKS approved

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 07:14:40 PM »
Personally I love football, I am not obsessed spending 15 hours on Sunday an dMonday watching it, with a Fantasy team-that is probably were most of the problems lie.  The amount of time some guys spend with football and related activites.
Jennifer

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 07:27:00 PM »
I don't dislike football per sé, ...I just don't understand it.  :'(
It's hard to follow and get into something you don't understand.
w

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 09:32:16 PM »
But do you nag or flip out when the man wants to watch it? Just wondering.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 09:42:38 PM »

how I wish this thread was on the general board . . . then I could answer this question for yaguar . . . :(

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 01:16:22 AM »

Nope. I've never had a problem interesting them in doing something else instead.  :P

...although I will admit back in 1991 my cousin David showed extraordinary patience when I called him up and interrupted an NBA playoff party {lol} I had absolutely no idea why he was sooo freaked out and couldn't talk at the time. Looking back, it makes me laugh at my naivete about the whole thing, ...but that was 1991, and it was a family member. I've grown alot smarter since then, ...and have gotten no complaints about my techniques... which are very persuasive.  :P
w

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 04:53:43 AM »
I have no problem w/it. 

Go Eagles! ;D

and then go Bears ;D

Stella, how could you root for two teams and both in the NFC? Doesn't make sense girl. :)
The House that Ruth built

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 05:09:05 AM »
plus everybody knows eagles eat bears... ;D

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 06:07:18 AM »
Personally, I hate football. Never liked it. I love sports but this one puts me to sleep. Way too many stops in play. To boring for me. I would rather watch paint dry.

PB

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 06:12:53 AM »

Hi.  I figure you just need to appreciate sports and athleticism.  I love watching fit people, (especially blokes) sweat and play and sometimes win.

>>>>>It helps if you get someone to explain the rules to you.  Then you can follow the game and be a proper fan.

I mean, I went to the ice hockey when I lived in Canada.

Nowadays I mostly watch the football (soccer 2 U)

I'm looking forward to someone explaining cricket to me.  I just don't understand how come it takes two men to run up and down.  I did play rounders as a teen and I understand baseball, but...  that's not cricket.

I don't understand the golf, but I do know all the snooker and pool moves.  If you can't beat 'em join 'em.  I don't think you can do without sport.  I've learned to love it.

Perhaps it's not a girlie thing and I ought to be on your tomboy thread?  But my grandad played for Liverpool so I have to be into football.

"There's nothing worse than a football supporter than a female footie supporter"

xLinda

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 06:16:24 AM »
Personally, I hate football. Never liked it. I love sports but this one puts me to sleep. Way too many stops in play. To boring for me. I would rather watch paint dry.

PB

well put.

But I used to like the bending over zoom shots once in a while.  The thighs and the big upper bits.  And I love the camerarderie.

That's why I like soccer.  Plus it's one of the fastest paced sports.

Tennis is marvellous (and fairly easy to learn how to keep up with

xLinda

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 06:17:19 AM »
Stella, how could you root for two teams and both in the NFC? Doesn't make sense girl. :)

Well, just because I like one team doesn't mean I have to dislike all others.  I like the Bears because when I first became interested in football I considered them my "home team" - so I still do.   I started liking the Eagles also way back because they have the prettiest uniforms and the best helmet design ;D
R

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 06:26:34 AM »
Another consideration.

Perhaps if you haven't picked which team to support yet, you cannot fully get into the game.

I asked a child that recently (a 10 year old boy).  I said, are you gonna support Manchester United or Chelsea?  He didn't know and didn't know how to pick (other than perhaps by which team were winning that day).  He wasn't listening when I suggested Liverpool.

If & when you really truly support a team, then it's difficult not to watch every game and it's so wonderful when your team wins.

(Although I must admit, perhaps often there's more to do in life.  Sometimes you can just listen to the result on the news.  That takes 2 minutes.  Other times it's fun to watch the whole 90 minutes.  Depends on your mood.

xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 06:55:01 AM »
quote author=STella link=topic=96810.msg1399636#msg1399636 date=1159363039]
they have the prettiest uniforms and the best helmet design ;D
[/quote]

this is another big factor for women.  >>>We like the uniforms.

soccer (and tennis) is a bit disappointing nowadays as they all wear long baggy shorts.

xL
(sorry, I've not seen NFL for at least 10 years.  & I can't imagine what that lot are wearing these days. 

But I so love the tennis... 1 against 1
..it's more exciting

PS:  I reckon that if you did a poll, you'd find that most women do not dislike ball games.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 08:16:35 AM »
quote author=STella link=topic=96810.msg1399636#msg1399636 date=1159363039]
they have the prettiest uniforms and the best helmet design ;D

this is another big factor for women.  >>>We like the uniforms.

soccer (and tennis) is a bit disappointing nowadays as they all wear long baggy shorts.

xL
(sorry, I've not seen NFL for at least 10 years.  & I can't imagine what that lot are wearing these days. 

But I so love the tennis... 1 against 1
..it's more exciting

PS:  I reckon that if you did a poll, you'd find that most women do not dislike football.
We're talking American football....not soccer.  ::)

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 08:29:22 AM »
yep, sorry, I realise that.  I did skirt around it a bit and attempt to explain that they don't have that here in England though. 

I just tried to point out that most women don't mind a bit of sport, if you are able to understand the rules and appreciate the fitness etc.

I don't think most women dislike NFL.

xL

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 09:40:01 AM »
Well, just because I like one team doesn't mean I have to dislike all others.  I like the Bears because when I first became interested in football I considered them my "home team" - so I still do.   I started liking the Eagles also way back because they have the prettiest uniforms and the best helmet design ;D

Ok Stella, don't take this the wrong way. Liking a team because of the uniforms is a girls reason for liking a team. ;)
The House that Ruth built

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 02:59:12 PM »
I started liking the Eagles also way back because they have the prettiest uniforms and the best helmet design ;D
I knew their uniforms were "teh ghey" type. ;D AS wishes they were "mint" green! ;D

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 03:22:05 PM »
Ok Stella, don't take this the wrong way. Liking a team because of the uniforms is a girls reason for liking a team. ;)

Profitable too.  I keep getting sucked into teh football pools because they all figure I know nothing. (correctly  :))  I have won three big times based on my strategy of picking my fav colors and team names.  Really pisses men off.   :)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 05:07:34 PM »

Yes, it IS a girls reason.  Good thing I'm a girl :)

Profitable too.  I keep getting sucked into teh football pools because they all figure I know nothing. (correctly  :))  I have won three big times based on my strategy of picking my fav colors and team names.  Really pisses men off.   :)

schweet....same w/horse racing :)
R

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 12:23:33 PM »
Lol, I actually had a girl inquire to whether the Coach of the team was happily married and made her picks that way. She actually chose the coaches who had divorces and bios of their time away from home to work on strategy. Felt the coaches who were happily married were wimps.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2006, 03:43:28 PM »
Lol, I actually had a girl inquire to whether the Coach of the team was happily married and made her picks that way. She actually chose the coaches who had divorces and bios of their time away from home to work on strategy. Felt the coaches who were happily married were wimps.

& that's a wonderful way to pick a team...  gimme your sweaty t-shirt

WHAT ABOUT THE CHEERLEADERS twurling their batons?

+ I reckon the happily married (coaches) are fine.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2006, 03:55:52 PM »
Profitable too.  I have won three big times based on my strategy of picking my fav colors and team names.  Really pisses men off.   :)

I wanna talk about this
xL