Author Topic: Jersey giant Johnnie Morant  (Read 50162 times)

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: jersey giant johnnie morant
« Reply #150 on: September 24, 2014, 03:02:56 AM »
Dear old-school-lifter,
   You asked me to share my thoughts on Nasser.  Again, I met him only a few times but here they are:
   Nasser immediately struck me as different from most bodybuilders in that he didn't need to announce he was the biggest man in the room, he just let nature speak for him.  But for his Leviathan physique, his quiet introverted nature would have caused him to become lost in the crowd.
   Somehow it came up that my sister was born in Germany and apparently, so was he.  I mentioned that I was born in Switzerland and then he took a curiosity as to what my parents were doing in Europe and how I became an American.  I explained to him that my Father survived being in Hitler's death camps and actually saw Hitler live, twice.  This fascinated Nasser and he asked me all about it. I told him my grandfather was shot at point blank range by a rife held by an SS member and left for dead.  When I told him my grandfather survived and wrote a book, he asked me if I could get him a copy.  I joked and said, "You read funny books for a coal-miner."  This is a line from W. Somerset Maugham's "The Razor's Edge" and when Nasser said he was familiar with Maugham, he immediately had my complete admiration.
   I asked Nasser how many languages he spoke and he joked, "That is a funny question for an American."  I told him my Dad spoke 11 languages and played 9 instruments and Nasser was astute enough to state that this is almost always a result of being born in a place in which nations conquer, merge and then dissolve. Nasser talked about the troubles that plagued Egypt but more so of Yugoslavia.  He seemed surprised that I even knew where it was.  I told Nasser I enjoy studying languages and culture and he laughed when I told him my Godparents live in Pakistan.  Ironically, we talked about the Sunni/Shiite issues.
     Nasser was a prodigious eater.  His plates of food were enormous.  I just don't understand how these guys can eat and digest all that food.
   Nasser laughed and made fun of guys and seemed to really despise the transparent people in bodybuilding.  He complained that there were many fake people and that they would lie to your face just to steal some money or drugs.  The topic of gay for pay came up and he heartily laughed at those who sold themselves like that.  I got the impression that while bodybuilding was important to him, it remained only part of his lifestyle.  He didn't seem to taken in by cars or fancy items, but rather, he seemed intrigued by anyone who claimed to know something about anything.  I got the impression that he was looking through you at first and then, if you had any real substance to you, he would look at you and speak with you.
   I found him soft-spoken, polite and intelligent.  I don't know who on GetBig hates or likes what bodybuilders but for me, Nasser stood out, both in physical stature and humble intellect.
Harley     

Nasser seemed like a really nice guy and a intelligent guy also,i met him once and he was very nice to us and everyone around,great sense of humor also. that's great u guys talked and got to know each other alittle
R

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2014, 04:21:50 AM »
    The more I think about all my conversations and interactions with Professional Bodybuilders, the harder it is to find someone very similar to Nasser.  The truth is, my interactions with the female professional competitors have produced a wider range of topics and discussions, almost as if they really understood it was all a hobby and that things such as books, education, newspapers, pizza and even life itself, do truly exist.  LOL

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2014, 05:10:34 AM »
I remember seeing nasser guest posing at the jersey/suburban in 95-6 ???cant remember if it was 95-96,but anyway I remember saying to my buddy that hes the hugest fuckin dude ive ever seen,and ive seen them all in my day(90,S)he was off season but man he was around 305 and totally a monster,only other person ive seen that big was dorian in 93 when dorian came to my gym offseason to guest pose at the jersey state
R

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2014, 05:24:05 AM »
jj marsh was very cool to me after a show I did ,saw him eating out and he chatted with us like he knew us,,,

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #154 on: September 24, 2014, 11:48:32 AM »
TTT
R

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2014, 10:24:43 PM »
    The more I think about all my conversations and interactions with Professional Bodybuilders, the harder it is to find someone very similar to Nasser.  The truth is, my interactions with the female professional competitors have produced a wider range of topics and discussions, almost as if they really understood it was all a hobby and that things such as books, education, newspapers, pizza and even life itself, do truly exist.  LOL

the more stories I read about Nasser and what people say about him, it becomes clear that  he most certainly was not the stereotypical musclehead BB, in fact it would seem he was the anti thesis of this intellectually

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2014, 04:15:26 AM »
the more stories I read about Nasser and what people say about him, it becomes clear that  he most certainly was not the stereotypical musclehead BB, in fact it would seem he was the anti thesis of this intellectually

i agree also, when i met him i thought he was gonna be the typical meathead type talking loud and starving for attention,he was just the opposite,didnt have a bad word to say about anyone and was really polite to everyone
R

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #157 on: September 25, 2014, 04:28:32 AM »
 Very much unlike Melvin Anthony.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #158 on: September 25, 2014, 04:35:50 AM »

yea i never met Melvin but heard he was a very nice guy, down to earth type of guy.to be honest most bodybuilders ive met in the last 35 yrs have been all pretty cool, mrs Olympia Carla dunlap was one of the nicest women ive ever met in my life,i trained back with her in 82 or so and she was so helpful and helping me out on form and stuff,i didn't even know it was her until kempers wife Shirley asked me how my back feels after training with mrs Olympia,i was like OMG that's Carla dunlap right?shirley smiled and said yes sir
R

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #159 on: September 25, 2014, 06:36:16 AM »
Too bad there's not many quality pics of Johnny morant....

Imagine if he was from this era with all this "social media and smartphones" .

I see if I can post some from my archives

WooOSSSHHHHH

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2014, 01:34:52 PM »
Too bad there's not many quality pics of Johnny morant....

Imagine if he was from this era with all this "social media and smartphones" .

I see if I can post some from my archives

WooOSSSHHHHH

I'll go you one better, from page 1: "The Executioner" Johnnie Morant

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2014, 10:36:58 PM »

Harley

please,your thoughts about your interactions with Melvin Anthony?

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2014, 04:05:38 AM »
I'll go you one better, from page 1: "The Executioner" Johnnie Morant

hes a beast, I got a cool video I took from my camcorder in 2003 with johnnie at the RING OF COMBAT MMA EVENT in Elizabeth,nj. he got on the scale and was 365 and had decent abs,not great but still visible.ill post it soon,i need my wife to help me tho cause im not the sharpest guy on the internet,lol,as far as that stuff
R

Simple Simon

« Reply #163 on: September 26, 2014, 04:22:30 AM »
hes a beast, I got a cool video I took from my camcorder in 2003 with johnnie at the RING OF COMBAT MMA EVENT in Elizabeth,nj. he got on the scale and was 365 and had decent abs,not great but still visible.ill post it soon,i need my wife to help me tho cause im not the sharpest guy on the internet,lol,as far as that stuff

You could have left it there.  ;D

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2014, 04:44:07 AM »
You could have left it there.  ;D

;)no doubt,my wife always tells me if my head wasn't attached to my body id forget it everywhere I went,thats another reason I started lifting weights also,besides getting bullied by the older kids,they used to laugh at me cause I couldn't do math problems to good and had trouble with other school stuff.
R

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #165 on: September 26, 2014, 05:19:59 AM »
Dear old-school-lifter,
    Seeing as you asked for my thoughts on Melvin Anthony, here they are.

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #166 on: September 26, 2014, 05:35:05 AM »
Gentlemen,
   I apologize for the previous reply.  I accidentally hit a button.  This stuff is very new to me as I am not computer nor Internet savvy. 
   Anyway, I found Melvin to be your stereotypical bodybuilder.  I met him at a Night of Champions show in which Craig competed many years ago.  I believe it was the year Melvin actually won as there was a great deal of hype about him coming into the show, especially in his own mind.
   Many of the athletes were staying in a NY hotel which I remember had terribly narrow hallways.  When we all walked around, I was the only guy who could easily manage the space.  Craig and Melvin were friendly so I spent some time with them as my usual, fly on the wall observer.  Melvin had "people" with him.  He talked only about himself.  He spoke as if he had already won the show.  Don't get me wrong, confidence is great, arrogance is repugnant.
   He actually denied taking gear.  Yes, he denied it.  Mind you, he was bigger than any other "normal" person and had abs.  His physique is unquestionably enviable but his attitude, he can keep it.
   He chastised guys who took "too much" gear but yet, had a doctor from Louisiana come up to visit him.
   So you can all corroborate this, as I remember my first stint on GetBig where people accused me of lying, look up Dr. James McDonald from Louisiana.  He was a very fine plastic surgeon.  In fact, he was 1 of just 2 top guys who did calf implants.  In full disclosure, I even met with him to discuss calf implants as I had come to believe he did them for Diamond Gym member Derrick Whittsett (of whom I also know some stories which I can personally corroborate).  Well, Dr. McDonald told me that my calves were so small, he couldn't get them to the size I wanted.  Having trained in the same gym with a kid who actually lost his entire leg due to a bad calf implant, I never had the procedure.
   Back to Melvin.  Dr. McDonald, who did not like to fly or travel, appeared in NYC as a "friend" of Melvin's.  When Craig and I went to visit the Doc in his hotel room, some monster of a national level bodybuilder just happened to walk out of the bathroom without any clothes but for a towel around his waist.  He was staying with the Doc.  The doc, a very nice, friendly, smart man told us he was here for his friend Melvin.  Let's just say that the Doc was very supportive and sympathetic to bodybuilders.
   In speaking to Melvin, he appeared more interested in actually telling you how no one could touch him and just how easy it was for him to win this show. Mind you, pre-judging had not yet begun.  Melvin was happy to have those around him if they told him what he wanted.  He seemed bothered by the fans and was purposely unresponsive when Craig would ask him for advice or for tips on certain things.  Melvin again went into denial or professed ignorance.
   He was an arrogant self-centered guy.  I told Craig that I won't be sorry when Melvin stops competing and has to look like "us normal guys."
Harley

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #167 on: September 26, 2014, 09:52:39 AM »
wow man Melvin sounds like a total dick,melvins got that typical meathead mentality that gives bodybuilding a worse name than it already has
R

Bob Bonham

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #168 on: September 26, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »
yes Johnny Morant could have been a great mr. O  had he had a better work ettic
the show with mike quinn was my jr. usa and I called him out on that
Andre came to strong and shapely gym and asked if billy stafold was there , you could see the intense anger in his eyes .Now Billy was a prick of a person . so I gladly got on the mike and called himm to the front. they were going in the parking lot when Andre could not contain his self anymore . bam right in the door way . billy curled into a fetal position and his teeth brides flew out.. funny shit !
a good story about Andre who was a bouncer and once throw a dude up into a tree.
Vinnie threw up more than once doing legs here.
the new guys are doing alright I think 5 bodybuilders from NJ turned pro this year

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #169 on: September 26, 2014, 05:35:11 PM »

be careful jesus might take u out of the lambs book of life for judging others,yes calling others a liar is judging them.then again you r prolly one of those phony Christians,i can see thru u guys easily.u sound like a jealous guy there lexy,its like u cant accept the fact that I trained in one of the best gyms in the east coast in 80,s and 90,s and seen tons of pros training there daily, everyone on these threads who r from jersey know the deal and they know I speak the truth so to b honest if u get off calling me a liar go on n keep doing it,if it makes u feel like a better Christian more power to u,u know jesus is really proud of u posting on getbig calling people liars with bullshit meters,wow hes really smiling down on u ::)
R

SaintAnger

• Getbig IV
« Reply #170 on: September 26, 2014, 05:45:44 PM »
Way too much positivity in this thread for GB's taste.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #171 on: September 26, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »
yes Johnny Morant could have been a great mr. O  had he had a better work ettic
the show with mike quinn was my jr. usa and I called him out on that
Andre came to strong and shapely gym and asked if billy stafold was there , you could see the intense anger in his eyes .Now Billy was a prick of a person . so I gladly got on the mike and called himm to the front. they were going in the parking lot when Andre could not contain his self anymore . bam right in the door way . billy curled into a fetal position and his teeth brides flew out.. funny shit !
a good story about Andre who was a bouncer and once throw a dude up into a tree.
Vinnie threw up more than once doing legs here.
the new guys are doing alright I think 5 bodybuilders from NJ turned pro this year
goodstuff,,your show was one of the best in nj,i did it in 92...your champions day was a big draw..

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #172 on: September 26, 2014, 09:38:41 PM »
Dear Bob,
   I want to thank you for all those great years in which I trained on and off at your gym.
   For those of you who have not had the pleasure of meeting Bob, I am telling you that Bob has always been a true gentleman and one of the strongest advocates for bodybuilding and its bodybuilders.  Bob was nice and fair with everyone, including nobodies like me.
   I haven't been to Bob's gym in years and if he would have us one day, Craig and I would love to come down.  The pictures on the wall were so inspirational.  Having your picture on Bob's wall meant you had done something pretty special with your physique.
   I never got involved in the politics but Bob not running and being at shows is just a travesty.  His knowledge, stories, advice and warm personality make him one of my favorite people whom I have met through bodybuilding.  He should write a book!!!
Harley

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2014, 07:08:00 PM »
Gentlemen,
   I apologize for the previous reply.  I accidentally hit a button.  This stuff is very new to me as I am not computer nor Internet savvy. 
   Anyway, I found Melvin to be your stereotypical bodybuilder.  I met him at a Night of Champions show in which Craig competed many years ago.  I believe it was the year Melvin actually won as there was a great deal of hype about him coming into the show, especially in his own mind.
   Many of the athletes were staying in a NY hotel which I remember had terribly narrow hallways.  When we all walked around, I was the only guy who could easily manage the space.  Craig and Melvin were friendly so I spent some time with them as my usual, fly on the wall observer.  Melvin had "people" with him.  He talked only about himself.  He spoke as if he had already won the show.  Don't get me wrong, confidence is great, arrogance is repugnant.
   He actually denied taking gear.  Yes, he denied it.  Mind you, he was bigger than any other "normal" person and had abs.  His physique is unquestionably enviable but his attitude, he can keep it.
   He chastised guys who took "too much" gear but yet, had a doctor from Louisiana come up to visit him.
   So you can all corroborate this, as I remember my first stint on GetBig where people accused me of lying, look up Dr. James McDonald from Louisiana.  He was a very fine plastic surgeon.  In fact, he was 1 of just 2 top guys who did calf implants.  In full disclosure, I even met with him to discuss calf implants as I had come to believe he did them for Diamond Gym member Derrick Whittsett (of whom I also know some stories which I can personally corroborate).  Well, Dr. McDonald told me that my calves were so small, he couldn't get them to the size I wanted.  Having trained in the same gym with a kid who actually lost his entire leg due to a bad calf implant, I never had the procedure.
   Back to Melvin.  Dr. McDonald, who did not like to fly or travel, appeared in NYC as a "friend" of Melvin's.  When Craig and I went to visit the Doc in his hotel room, some monster of a national level bodybuilder just happened to walk out of the bathroom without any clothes but for a towel around his waist.  He was staying with the Doc.  The doc, a very nice, friendly, smart man told us he was here for his friend Melvin.  Let's just say that the Doc was very supportive and sympathetic to bodybuilders.
   In speaking to Melvin, he appeared more interested in actually telling you how no one could touch him and just how easy it was for him to win this show. Mind you, pre-judging had not yet begun.  Melvin was happy to have those around him if they told him what he wanted.  He seemed bothered by the fans and was purposely unresponsive when Craig would ask him for advice or for tips on certain things.  Melvin again went into denial or professed ignorance.
   He was an arrogant self-centered guy.  I told Craig that I won't be sorry when Melvin stops competing and has to look like "us normal guys."
Harley

Great stories Harley
thanks for sharing those
I have heard from ppl who have met MA that he always refers to himself in the 3rd person and was always telling them how great he looked 5 days ago haha
The Doc sounds like he liked the hot beef injection lol

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #174 on: October 11, 2014, 10:36:05 PM »
Hey Harley. Dont think we ever met. I havent posted here in years. But I am an old Jersey boy from the 80's early 90's. Trained at Westside Muscle...Strong&Shapley's first 2 locations.....Alex Sicignanos Golds and Diamond. Gonna throw a few names out to you. John Riggins....I used to train with John from time to time in Diamond when he won the teen Jersey. John was a sweetheart and was a beast. Sad that he got caught up on the wrong side of life and payed the ultimate price for it. I know he eventually went to Maz's gym in Paterson afyer I left the east coast. How about the name Shane Wild???? I remember him being some freakshow outof Westside Muscle. What about a guy named Rob/Bob Pietrowski out of S&S in Rutherford. I think he won Teen Jersey and Teen America for AAU in mid 80's. Perry from Diamond Gym???? Black guy with blond afro. Huge dude. Left Diamond and started training at Westside. The late Tony Alicia....I rememberan MC announcing his death at a show. Might have been the east coast one year. Juan Marquez.....he took Jersey by storm in late 80's. Saw him winning everything. Anyway....I could go on and on. Any thoughts on these guys? Or does anybody else have any thoughts on them?