Author Topic: Peter McGough banning MD from the O!  (Read 13118 times)

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
Re: Peter McGough banning MD from the O!
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2006, 10:00:10 AM »
How pathetic.  I started lifting weights when I was 12 years old (now almost 30) and reading Muscle & Fitness and Flex at the same time.  I have seen a lot of bullshit over the years including real bullshit at the 94 NOC where a real bull actually shit on the stage.  But none of that stinks as bad as this.  Is McGough the new dictator of the Mr. O?  Does he decide who can and cannot have press passes?  So much for Freedom of the press huh?  Pathetic.  Allowing Md to be there gives a different take on the Olympia than just Flex Magazine.  I am ashamed to have a subscription to Flex.

I don't post a lot, but I have been in this sport for a long time.  I have competed and plan on doing so again in the future.  Anyways...just my 2 cents.

Travis

LOL....those were the days...yes, there was a bull taking a dump on stage, and people laughed their head off ;D
they had this banner saying" MORE BEEF THAN A CATTLE RANCH" that was funny, and the line up was great too. MR DORIAN YATES WAS ONSTAGE.
Get Big, or Die Trying

irish_strenght

• Getbig II
  • sex me im irish
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »
exactly that is bullshit flex is a rival magazine to md they both report on the same industry how can they have the right to ban md it sounds like they are the industry! this bullshit will have a knock on effect on flex magazines qaulity   >:(

mrsirjojo

• Getbig II
  • Si vis pacem, Para bellum.
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2006, 10:10:40 AM »
"Free Press" pertains to what the government has to allow its citizens, not to what one private corporation has to give to another.

Likewise, someone is not stifling your "freedom of speech" if they stop you from saying whatever you want on their premises. All MD can do is get the IFBB's non-profit status looked into more carefully, and then hope the government cares enough to look into anti-trust policies.

Mr. Michael Moore

• Getbig IV
  • A pretty good weight, for a small woman !
Re: McGough Banning MD from the O?
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2006, 10:52:58 AM »

There are ramifications that come with the "being a rebel" gig...

Gee, why the hell do I smell a poke shot at Lee Priest on this one?

Can you tell us , Bob? ;D
Train forever !

hifrommike

• Getbig III
« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2006, 12:59:04 PM »
If FLEX's editor doesn't approve of bashing other competitors, then why did he do it in retaliation?  That he did do it indicates he does approve of bashing others, & if so then he can take what he dishes out--even in retaliation. 

DonDan

• Getbig II
« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2006, 06:49:36 PM »
You're right...and they fucked themselves out of that privilege throughout the year with malicious bashing and personal attacks of the very people that give the press passes.

Not the brightest move...you reap what you sow.
Then how is it that you haven't fucked yourself out of the rep position with all the bashing and ifbb rule breaking you do? If anyone could be said to have made malicious bashing and personal attacks, it's you. Oh but I forgot, you're just a puppet?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2006, 07:00:33 PM »
Then how is it that you haven't fucked yourself out of the rep position with all the bashing and ifbb rule breaking you do? If anyone could be said to have made malicious bashing and personal attacks, it's you. Oh but I forgot, you're just a puppet?

What the hell are you talking about?

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2006, 07:06:44 PM »
There are a lot of very well thought out posts here. Good points and counter-points. But at the end of the day we are talking about men prancing around in thongs, who cares.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2006, 07:16:07 PM »
Apparently I dont undertand what "genius" means.. ::)

Being an employee for Testicular Maldevelopment pretty much means that you inevitably don't understand what "good journalism" is either.

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
  • I need steroids for the brain.
« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2006, 07:27:14 PM »
I was contacted to work on the TV/DVD production and webcast, since I did that type of work for almost 8 years with the ESPN American Muscle show and the event coverage we did many times for the Olympias, Arnold, USA, etc. My old boss wanted to bring me out of retirement to help out with directing an ENG camera crew. I probably would have been helping out with backstage interviews and the stuff that went on live on the Jumbotron to the audience.

We (my old boss and I) agreed on a rate and other terms, but suddenly he was told from someone at Weider/AMI that I was not welcome on his crew as I was a writer for MD. Never mind the fact that I also write for Musclemag, Ironman, and REPS. And I have never said a single bad thing about Peter McGough or Robin Chang. In fact, Robin and I worked together for four or five years in the same office for that same boss and I still consider him a friend.

Pretty silly, isn't it?

No loss - I don't really miss TV production - LONG, LONG hours and impossible to get your meals in every 2-3 hours. The lifestyle of a freelance writer is much better for me. 

I DO NOT like your name on here man  >:( that movie scared the crap out of me when I watched it and I still won't watch it :P

HRDCOR

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #110 on: September 05, 2006, 08:04:07 PM »
Bottom Line ---- If AMI didnt run the Olympia like amatures and make so many screw ups then there would be nothing to complain about !!! The Olympia should be run by a Nuetral afffliation , its the peoples Show not a magazines show !!                           

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #111 on: September 05, 2006, 10:05:52 PM »

If AMI didnt run the Olympia like amatures and make so many screw ups then there would be nothing to complain about

Then go ahead, and bid on the Olympia next year, become the promoter, run it the way you want, and see if you can make money for everyone while making sure that it is the best contest. Many of tried on other shows, and it is much harder than it sounds (Mike M and Shawn R will attest to that). You have budgets, hidden costs, promotions, people, etc).

I go to a contest, and try and see what the best way to make it a good contest and build it up. All the way from smaller NPC shows (NPC Jr. Cal) to large NPC shows (NPC Tournament of Champions) that also have a IFBB pro figure show, to larger shows, and so on. Each has lots of situations, that you need to take care of.

Now as for the Olympia, personally, it is the best and most fun show I go to. The biggest competitors are there, both at the expo and at the contest, and yes, of course, there were problems, but Robin has listened to them, and is trying to make the best Olympia out there. And I fully support him on that.

Last year, I had a great time. Yes, the buses were an issue - some stage problems were an issue, people complained about the hotel, but all in all, most of the people said they had a good time, and that was what was important.

This year, Ronnie is going to try to break the record, and if he does, it will be a great moment in bodybuilding history. And stop complaining, come to the Olympia, and lets have fun. And let me take a picture of you..