Author Topic: Every single Mr. Olympia winner is still alive - all in decent health too!  (Read 5772 times)

yates fan

• Getbig III
explain this,if pro-bodybuilding is so dangerous,how is it that every mr.o winner is still alive,and seem to be in decent health,other than ronnies injuries from heavy lifting and sergio getting shot,they all seem none the worse for wear.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
Re: every mr.olympia winner is still alive.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 05:34:40 PM »
  I agree...

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 05:39:25 PM »
explain this,if pro-bodybuilding is so dangerous,how is it that every mr.o winner is still alive,and seem to be in decent health,other than ronnies injuries from heavy lifting and sergio getting shot,they all seem none the worse for wear.

Larry Scott October 12, 1938

Sergio Oliva July 4, 1941

Arnold Schwarzenegger July 30, 1947

Franco Columbu August 7, 1941

Frank Zane June 28, 1942

Chris Dickerson August 25, 1939

Samir Bannout November 7, 1955

Lee Haney  November 11, 1959

Dorian Yates April 19, 1962

Ronnie Coleman May 13, 1964

Jay Cutler August 3, 1973

Dexter Jackson November 25, 1969

Phil Heath December 18, 1979

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 07:02:08 PM »
Genetic cream of the crop right there.  When they all got together at the 2010 Olympia, Sergio looked the most frail, but they all seem on their way to long lives (fingers crossed for Ronnie).   

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 07:06:42 PM »
Larry Scott October 12, 1938

ND:
There's a rumor going around the net that Larry's got Alzheimer's.
Have you caught any wind of this?

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 07:13:18 PM »
well if those 13 bodybuilders are alive, that must mean that steroids aren't damaging to ones health, right?

::)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 07:30:55 PM »

ND:
There's a rumor going around the net that Larry's got Alzheimer's.
Have you caught any wind of this?

Yes, he has Alzheimers but he's still doing quite well....likely due to the weight training stimulating his nervous system and getting his blood flowing. 
A

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 07:41:18 PM »

I predict Dorian or Ronnie will die before any of the other past Mr O's.

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 07:46:06 PM »
that's why they are champions

they either abused the same shit as other pros but they could tolerate the risk and harm due to their genetics, or they knew how to abuse shit relatively reasonably compared to others

TRIX

• Getbig IV
  • If you mess with me I'll have to fuck you up
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 08:31:58 PM »
ronnie is only 48

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 05:51:39 AM »

Yes, he has Alzheimers but he's still doing quite well....likely due to the weight training stimulating his nervous system and getting his blood flowing. 

I know it's been mentioned on a few different sites. Has a reliable source confirmed it?
I checked Ron Kosloff's site, and there's not mention of it; that doesn't mean anything either way.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
imo i think orals are responsable for most health issues in bodybuilding, if a person uses testosterone injectables and has a medical/bloodwork every 6 months they usually have minor side effects. ive been hittin the sauce since 83 or so and my internals are fine, ive never done more than a 3 - 4 month cycle once a year though and pretty much stayed around 500mg of sust or enanthate a week with alittle deca or EQ added in
R

yates fan

• Getbig III
i am not saying that bodybuilding at the pro-level is totally healthy or anything,but compare it to other pro-sports,and it seems like bodybuilders are outliving other athletes,the superbowl was started roughly the same time as the olympia,is every superbowl mvp still alive?

Figo

• Getbig V
Nasser is also in great health!

Oh, wait, he didn't win the olympia, did he?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Nasser is also in great health!

Oh, wait, he didn't win the olympia, did he?

At least 3 times according to the fan boys  ::)

Nasser himself still thinks he placed third in 1996  ::)

hematocritter

• Getbig III
Genetic rule all.
Some people have genes for longevity or genes for handling abuse. We have all heard of the smoker/drinker that lived to be 99.
Genetic predisposition is more important than habits or lifestyle, an example is the guy that had weak hearts in his family, so he exercised and
ate just for longevity, and still died in his early 40's from heart failure.
If steroids give you a heart attack, you were probably going to have one anyway. I'm not saying they're perfectly healthy for you, but if a person
is genetically inclined to live long, not much is going to get in the way of that.

Immortal_Technique

• Getbig IV
  • "It's all a bunch of shit, I say fuck it" - DF
Good shit, I think the guys who don't do it right end up dead, and don't win things. Hence getbig is full of anti-bodybuilding simpletons.

Immortal_Technique

• Getbig IV
  • "It's all a bunch of shit, I say fuck it" - DF
I.e. if you stay healthy and don't fuck up your nervous system you can get bigger and more full and ripped than if you fuck yourself up and over deplete etc.

orion

• Getbig IV
Pro bodybuilding is a lot less dangerous than other endevours, such as trying to scale Everest, or Indy car racing, or parachuting.

NYSTATEOFMIND

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigs Reporter of perverse news
I would think those who won the Olympia, despite the usage of drugs, take their underline health seriously. Probably see a Doc on the regular making sure BP is within normal range and all other "silent killers" are taken care of
getbig or getgot

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Another thing to consider is the variety of drugs, only the last 4 have had access to all the oddball ones and they are all still young we still don't know if they might cut something short.

Also, another thing to consider is bodyweight, all but the last 5 were reasonably light men by today's standards and most went back to normal after their careers were over. From what I've seen over the years with all sorts of strength athletes, is that most of the time it isn't the drugs that kill them, it's holding on to all that extra bodyweight. 

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.

Hmmm because the guys that got to the top of the sport had the strongest constitutions and the highest drug tolerances. ::) ;D

Trans Milkshake.