Author Topic: Magoo: The Quest for a 405 bench  (Read 108204 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: Magoo attempts to get strong.
« Reply #175 on: April 07, 2008, 06:42:42 AM »
DAMN MAN! What a fucking workout!
150lb dumbbells are foreplay man.. haha gotta get you strapped into some good shit!  ;D

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #176 on: April 07, 2008, 10:33:53 AM »
DAMN MAN! What a fucking workout!
150lb dumbbells are foreplay man.. haha gotta get you strapped into some good shit!  ;D

if i lifted at a gym with heavier DBs i'd use 'em, but since most i lift at stop at the 120s or 130s i don't have any need. we don't all get to have the kind of ludicrous gym you do.  >:( ;D

i'm also working on my grip, so i figure doing heavy shit without straps should get things caught up. though if i'mma take lift's advice and try it with bands, i'm DEFINTELY gonna have to start bringing the straps in.

what kind do you use? i've had cotton and leather, and i gotta be honest the leather ones sucked.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #177 on: April 07, 2008, 01:35:12 PM »
When are you gonna post some pics of you posing and flexing so we can assess your physique, "MisterMaggott".

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2008, 02:12:41 PM »
MONDAY - pull day

deadlifts: no belt, standing on the 5" block again, dead stop on the floor.
135x5
225x5
315x5
405x3 - went fast, wanted to go for more.
455x2 - um. not a great set. not trying this again for a while.
405x3

box squats: well below parallel.
135x8
225x5
275x5
275x5

DB hang snatches: these again
95x5
95x5

suitcases:
135x5
185x3
185x3

DB shrugs:
120x25
120x25
120x20 - grip shot.

weight: 230

notes: if you read back, you'll find a post where i was impressed with myself for hitting 455x2 standing on a smaller block with a belt on. i'd say my pull actually IS up, it's just my setup keeps fucking me over. interesting.

When are you gonna post some pics of you posing and flexing so we can assess your physique, "MisterMaggott".

already put one up! read back a bit. i'll post it here, too.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2008, 02:26:08 PM »
Good build, but I imagined you'd be a lot bigger given these numbers!!!

BTW tattoos suck, and you should go tanning ;) I've been working hard on achieving some semblance of a tan!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »
Good build, but I imagined you'd be a lot bigger given these numbers!!!

someone's been hanging with way too many bodybuilders to have that kinda thinking..if you say me on the street you woudl'nt think i was as strong as i was either.

The idea of muscle size/strength now adays is abit skewed it seems.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #181 on: April 07, 2008, 03:34:38 PM »
someone's been hanging with way too many bodybuilders to have that kinda thinking..if you say me on the street you woudl'nt think i was as strong as i was either.

The idea of muscle size/strength now adays is abit skewed it seems.

yeah. i blame weak pro bodybuilders. when you see vic martinez close-gripping 315 for a set of 8, for example, you start to correlate that size/strength ratio and think that if someone can do 315x3 close-grip they must be HUGE. after all, they're almost as strong as vic and he's gigantic.

a big factor, too, is when you train for strength your form changes. i'm pretty sure if i altered my bench to get a maximal activation of the pecs or whatever i wouldn't be knocking out sets of 315x5, but i don't train like that.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #182 on: April 07, 2008, 08:24:55 PM »
yeah. i blame weak pro bodybuilders. when you see vic martinez close-gripping 315 for a set of 8, for example, you start to correlate that size/strength ratio and think that if someone can do 315x3 close-grip they must be HUGE. after all, they're almost as strong as vic and he's gigantic.

a big factor, too, is when you train for strength your form changes. i'm pretty sure if i altered my bench to get a maximal activation of the pecs or whatever i wouldn't be knocking out sets of 315x5, but i don't train like that.

if you're already benching 315 for five and change it to where you only get 315 for 3..how could that make you activate more of your body's potential? LOL I thought we were after the numbers getting higher not lower?

and you're right on the moneyh on teh bodybuilder comment man..i was told by a good bodybuilding friend of mine that they only use just enough weight to maintain the muscle size they have...no more than what's needed just to prevent injuries since they make their money based solely on looks alone.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #183 on: April 07, 2008, 08:39:10 PM »

you close grip 315 you fvcking bastard  >:( lol

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #184 on: April 07, 2008, 08:59:12 PM »
if you're already benching 315 for five and change it to where you only get 315 for 3..how could that make you activate more of your body's potential? LOL I thought we were after the numbers getting higher not lower?

well let's not kid ourselves. if i benched in order to really "bomb my pecs" i'd probably make sure i had zero arch, my grip would change and i'd avoid too much leg drive. when i do sets of 10 with 225 and my feet in the air i get a better "chest workout", but in terms of making my bench go up that's just assistance work. ya know?

sorta like how a PL will squat differently than a bodybuilder because all that matters is moving the weight and whatever muscles need improved to up the poundages is all that matters, whereas a BB will focus more on making sure his quads are pushing the bar.

tony, yeah i can get 315 on the close-grip. my best is 315x3, but i think i bounced it a little haha.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: April 07, 2008, 09:01:34 PM »
well let's not kid ourselves. if i benched in order to really "bomb my pecs" i'd probably make sure i had zero arch, my grip would change and i'd avoid too much leg drive. when i do sets of 10 with 225 and my feet in the air i get a better "chest workout", but in terms of making my bench go up that's just assistance work. ya know?

sorta like how a PL will squat differently than a bodybuilder because all that matters is moving the weight and whatever muscles need improved to up the poundages is all that matters, whereas a BB will focus more on making sure his quads are pushing the bar.

tony, yeah i can get 315 on the close-grip. my best is 315x3, but i think i bounced it a little haha.

true..but at the same time...you're setting yourself up to make your body become more efficient in it's use of it's own power. That's why setup and proper form is so important and learning it can add big numbers when it comes to increases if you've done it all wrong to start with. The more weight you're able to move..the more muscle fibers you recruit..the more you recruit the bigger your little tattoo'd ass will grow! AND YOU NEED ALL THE HELP YOU CAN GET! hahahah JUST KIDDING BRO!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #186 on: April 07, 2008, 09:16:12 PM »
true..but at the same time...you're setting yourself up to make your body become more efficient in it's use of it's own power. That's why setup and proper form is so important and learning it can add big numbers when it comes to increases if you've done it all wrong to start with. The more weight you're able to move..the more muscle fibers you recruit..the more you recruit the bigger your little tattoo'd ass will grow! AND YOU NEED ALL THE HELP YOU CAN GET! hahahah JUST KIDDING BRO!

dammit, you're gonna have me rethinking everything again!  >:(

nah, you've got a good point. i think we're looking at things differently though! i don't mean more "muscle activation", i said it all wrong. i guess i meant more like "focus". bodybuilders try to ONLY use their chests, PL's try to use EVERYTHING to move the fockin' weight!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #187 on: April 07, 2008, 09:18:35 PM »
dammit, you're gonna have me rethinking everything again!  >:(

nah, you've got a good point. i think we're looking at things differently though! i don't mean more "muscle activation", i said it all wrong. i guess i meant more like "focus". bodybuilders try to ONLY use their chests, PL's try to use EVERYTHING to move the fockin' weight!

impossible to use jsut your chest on anything...even flys.

and you're supposed to be thinking..the moment you stop thinking and trying new shit is the moment you'll realize you'll never be able to stand in the same cage as me!  ;D

always approach this shit with a questioning mind..someone says something works...ask why. Want to know why this or that does this or that? Ask why and find out.. the more you know the more you grow!  ;D

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #188 on: April 07, 2008, 09:32:51 PM »
dammit, you're right again.  >:(

but hey, my experimenting has helped me figure out that the weakness in my deadlift isn't where i thought it was. so i'll agree that thinking and examining oneself has benefits.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #189 on: April 07, 2008, 09:42:28 PM »
dammit, you're right again.  >:(

but hey, my experimenting has helped me figure out that the weakness in my deadlift isn't where i thought it was. so i'll agree that thinking and examining oneself has benefits.

good man!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #190 on: April 08, 2008, 04:24:24 PM »
not a great day. i think the hard fucking workout from saturday wrecked me. note to self: don't go balls-out on saturday and expect a good workout on tuesday. :P

TUESDAY - bench day

flat bench:
135x8
225x8
275x5
315x3
340x2 - just felt like hell. back down.
335x1 - paused. solid.

feet-up bench:
225x8
225x5
275x3

a set of 30's

incline DB:
100x12
100x8

dead hang pullups:
a set of 12 chins

one-arm DB laterals:
45x8
55x6
55x8
55x8

rear raises:
45x15
45x15

dips:

straight-bar curls:
105x8
135x10 - not great form
135x8

some hammer preachers just to pass the time while i bullshitted with a friend.

weight: 229

notes: yeah, definitely need to quit going heavy on saturday and expecting strength boosts on tuesday.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #191 on: April 08, 2008, 05:09:53 PM »
oh and wicked, you wanted a better look at the ink? here you go.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #192 on: April 09, 2008, 06:40:28 AM »
damn nice ink man! Looks like it took awhile to get  THAT shit done!  :o

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: April 09, 2008, 08:31:25 AM »
damn nice ink man! Looks like it took awhile to get  THAT shit done!  :o

about 24 solid hours total, i think. not done yet, either.  :P

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2008, 06:16:59 AM »
Bro, i dont know a huge amount about powerlifting yet, or ur sort of training.But can i ask y u have squats on pull day?

Do u do speed and max effort days or just bench then pull days?

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: April 10, 2008, 08:03:26 AM »
Bro, i dont know a huge amount about powerlifting yet, or ur sort of training.But can i ask y u have squats on pull day?

Do u do speed and max effort days or just bench then pull days?

davie

i don't do speed and max, just "main" and "assistance". i keep fucking it up, but that what i'm AIMING for at least. ;D

the idea is to do heavy pulls on monday, and then a lighter-weight squat exercise. then thursday it's heavy squatting and a lighter pull exercise. plus real light assistance after that. my problem is my ego keeps getting away from me and i think that's part of why my pull and squat aren't moving.  :P

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #196 on: April 10, 2008, 10:54:57 AM »
cranked it back a bit.

THURSDAY - squat day

squats: again, no belt.
135x8
225x5
275x3
315x5 - sunk, easy shit. could have had 8.
365x3 - AWFUL set. form slipped at the end.
315x5 - had to do it.

sumo rack pulls: bar about 3" off the floor, just enough to get me away from the real shitty spot. paused at the bottom to deload.
135x5
225x5
315x5
405x0 - not sure what happened here. had one of those "body said no" moments.
405x3 - there we go.
405x5

walking lunges: across one wall of the gym. a decent distance.
135x3 - that's three laps. heart pounding. yeesh.

GHRs:

jackknife situps:
4x12 - rough!

weight: 232

notes: 232?? i did cardio yesterday and ate lightly. the hell is going on?  >:( regardless, i'm predicting a 405x3 beltless A2G squat in the near future. might just do the meet beltless by the way things are headed.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #197 on: April 10, 2008, 07:44:04 PM »
cranked it back a bit.

THURSDAY - squat day

135x8
225x5
275x3
315x5 - had to do it.

sumo rack pulls: bar about 3" off the floor, just enough to get me away from the real shitty spot. paused at the bottom to deload.
135x5
225x5
315x5
405x3 - there we go.
405x5

GHRs:

jackknife situps:
4x12 - rough!

notes: 232?? i did cardio yesterday and ate lightly. the hell is going on?  >:( regardless, i'm predicting a 405x3 beltless A2G squat in the near future. might just do the meet beltless by the way things are headed.

yeah man what's up with our weight going all over the place lately! WTF ! >:(

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #198 on: April 10, 2008, 08:20:54 PM »
cranked it back a bit.

THURSDAY - squat day

135x8
225x5
275x3
315x5 - had to do it.

135x5
225x5
315x5
405x3 - there we go.
405x5

GHRs:

jackknife situps:
4x12 - rough!

How many sets did it take you to do the GHRs?  It might end up taking me 40 sets to do it!  I start strong on them, but by the 3rd set, I cant usually get more than 7 or 8 per set.  Impressive hamstring strength!

Jason

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #199 on: April 10, 2008, 09:20:41 PM »
How many sets did it take you to do the GHRs?  It might end up taking me 40 sets to do it!  I start strong on them, but by the 3rd set, I cant usually get more than 7 or 8 per set.  Impressive hamstring strength!

Jason

this time i got it in 3. if i really go all out (and my calves don't cramp up :P ) i can get 15-20 in a set. my hams ain't that bad, it's starting to look like my lower back is my weak link, which is weird since it used to be my strong point. looks like i need to do more heavy-ass rows.  >:(