Author Topic: IFBB PROS and Health Insurance/Pensions/Benefits  (Read 5565 times)

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
IFBB PROS and Health Insurance/Pensions/Benefits
« on: December 19, 2010, 09:34:43 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, IFBB pros pay membership dues in order to belong to the IFBB. 

Besides receiving a membership card and the right to participate in IFBB events, what else do the PROS receive from the IFBB?

Do these professional athletes receive any sort of health insurance, retirement benefits, pensions or anything along those lines?

I can only assume that other professional athletes (basketball, football, baseball) don't get any type of benefits, but, in turn, they do have great salaries (easily 6-figure salaries, if not 7-figures).

What do these IFBB pros get in return for putting their lives on the line for the sake of the federation and for their loving fans?

I know SAG offers it's actors, producers and directors health insurance options as well as pension opportunities, what of the IFBB?

"1"

che

• Getbig V
Re: IFBB PROS and Health Insurance/Pensions/Benefits
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 09:45:29 AM »
They get :
* Medical Insurance
* Dental Insurance
* Vision/Eye Care Insurance
* Life Insurance
* Accidental Death Insurance
* Business Travel Insurance
* Disability Insurance
* Vacation
* Holidays
* Sick/Personal Days
* 401(k) Plans
* Profit Sharing
* Stock Options/Restricted Shares/ESOPs
* Tuition Reimbursement
* Health Clubs
* Dependent Care
* Employee Assistance Programs
* Overtime/Travel Premiums/Comp Time
* Parking Reimbursement
* Commuting Cost Reimbursement
* Expense Reimbursement
* Mobile Phone Reimbursement

(*) In order to qualify for  benefits BB's must have a full time job w/these benefits included. . I think I'm not sure

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:49:01 AM »
They get :
* Medical Insurance
* Dental Insurance
* Vision/Eye Care Insurance
* Life Insurance
* Accidental Death Insurance
* Business Travel Insurance
* Disability Insurance
* Vacation
* Holidays
* Sick/Personal Days
* 401(k) Plans
* Profit Sharing
* Stock Options/Restricted Shares/ESOPs
* Tuition Reimbursement
* Health Clubs
* Dependent Care
* Employee Assistance Programs
* Overtime/Travel Premiums/Comp Time
* Parking Reimbursement
* Commuting Cost Reimbursement
* Expense Reimbursement
* Mobile Phone Reimbursement

I think I'm not sure

Does the asterisk (*) next to each benefit denote the fact that in order to have each they must have a separate, full time job?

"1"

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 09:57:42 AM »
Does the asterisk (*) next to each benefit denote the fact that in order to have each they must have a separate, full time job?

"1"

Ooops I forgot that part . (Edited)

Dorian01

• Getbig IV
  • Coach loves the sticky studs
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 10:06:09 AM »
Bob set up some kind of health insurance they could opt for. I can't find the details, but he's mentioned it in a list of things he accomplished so far

".more money for athletes, more qualifying spots, health insurance, rule changes, judging changes, a voice in what happens in OUR sport,etc, etc..."

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 10:30:45 AM »
Do beauty pageant contestants get insurance benefits?

No? Why should bodybuilders?

Do you have any idea how much it would cost to insure these guys? I've heard of lots of guys in the states who were turned down for previous steroid usage. Getting insurance would officially and publicly out every contestant.

Also, what's the point in insuring them?

If your star QB goes down you're fucked. If some random bodybuilder gets injured, retires, dies, etc, somebody else takes his spot and no money is lost by the organization.
It's Hip to be Square!

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 11:42:43 AM »
Do beauty pageant contestants get insurance benefits?

No? Why should bodybuilders?

Do you have any idea how much it would cost to insure these guys? I've heard of lots of guys in the states who were turned down for previous steroid usage. Getting insurance would officially and publicly out every contestant.

Also, what's the point in insuring them?

If your star QB goes down you're fucked. If some random bodybuilder gets injured, retires, dies, etc, somebody else takes his spot and no money is lost by the organization.

Bodybuilders are not beauty pageant contestants, they are athletes who participate in the sport of bodybuilding. 

I am sick and tired of jerks like the above poster ridiculing professional bodybuilders and calling them beauty pageant contestants.  For once and for all, I will provide a QnA below to end this senseless debate regarding whether or not they are athletes or beauty pageant contestants.

Some of you might ask, if indeed athletes, who do they compete against? 
EACH OTHER.

Is the training to participate in said competitions rigorous and demanding?
SO DEMANDING THAT IN SOME INSTANCES (MR. OLYMPIA) IT CAN TAKE AN ATHLETE UP TO A YEAR TO GET READY FOR IT.  SOME PARTICIPANTS LIKE MILOS SARCEV HAVE EVEN BEEN HOSPITALIZED FOR IMPROPER TRAINING THAT ALMOST LED TO HIS DEATH.

Are there judges and/or score keepers? 
ABSOLUTELY, EVERY EVENT HAS A DISTINGUISHED PANEL OF JUDGES, NOT TO MENTION, A LARGE AUDIENCE OF MALE JUDGES.

Do these so-called athletes experience injuries in their sport?
ALL THE TIME, NOT TOO LONG AGO, A GUY BY THE NAME OF FUX GOT SQUASHED UNDER 1,200 OF WEIGHT.  PAUL DILLETE HAS HAD SEVERE REACTIONS TO TRAINING, HE EVEN ONCE FROZE ON STAGE.

Do these athletes get national media coverage?
YES, BY WAY OF MAGAZINES, THESE ATHLETES GET EXPOSURE THAT REACHES EVERY SINGLE STATE, NOT TO MENTION THE MILLIONS OF FANS WORLDWIDE.  NOT TOO LONG AGO, A GENTLEMEN BY THE NAME OF CRAIG TITUS BECAME A NATIONAL SPOKESPERSON BY TRAINING A FORMER ROCKBAND ARTIST.  THIS TRAINING WAS AIRED ON MTV.  A FEW YEARS LATER, TITUS EVEN GOT NATIONAL MEDIA COVERAGE FOR HIS OWN PERSONAL ACHIEVEMENTS.  HE WAS EVEN PROVIDED WITH A PANEL OF 12 JUDGES THAT WERE, COMMON DAY FOLKS, THERE TO HELP IN HIS CRITIQUE.

Feel free to add a rebuttal if you dare,
"1"

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 11:57:28 AM »
oh, as an added bonus the bodybuilders also have to deal with not being able to place if they are signed to a rival magazine publisher

but they do get a $30 trophy, kind of like the one you get when you play baseball when you're in grade 6

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 12:20:37 PM »
but they do get a $30 trophy, kind of like the one you get when you play baseball when you're in grade 6

Sure, to you it might just be a $30 trophy, but to those fearless warriors that battle it out on stage to be the best on that glorious night, it is worth gold.

"1"

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 12:20:59 PM »
I'm sure when Ben Weider kicked the bucket he left millions of his fortune to some kind of benefit fund for the bodybuilders who made it possible for him to make those millions in the first place.

I'm sure when Joe kicks it he will do the same with much of his fortune.

The Weiders are just that kind of people.

What are ya' whining, commie?

I'm sure GM owners (big ones) and presidents of company leave their fortunes to Chinese workers who worked their poor asses off with minimum wage  ::)
Or maybe Steve Jobs leaves 95% of his fortune to same Chinese poor workers that assemble iphones in fear of violence  ::)
You think Nike has some pension fund to those children that put Nike's shoes and footballs together in sweatshops while they should be in school  ::)

You're so out, boy, just whining about IFBB or Weiders... same goes on in every industry. That's fuckin' life.

Maybe you should move to North Korea if you want that no one owns anything personally and everyone is equal. Go and see how well that works.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 12:27:33 PM »
What are ya' whining, commie?

I'm sure GM owners (big ones) and presidents of company leave their fortunes to Chinese workers who worked their poor asses off with minimum wage  ::)
Or maybe Steve Jobs leaves 95% of his fortune to same Chinese poor workers that assemble iphones in fear of violence  ::)
You think Nike has some pension fund to those children that put Nike's shoes and footballs together in sweatshops while they should be in school  ::)

You're so out, boy, just whining about IFBB or Weiders... same goes on in every industry. That's fuckin' life.

I know, what the fuck was he thinking?!?

It would be like Bill Gates donating over $28 billion of his own money to charity in order to help out countless of countries in need of aid and then further deciding to take part in the "Giving Pledge" thereby stating to donate half of his entire wealth to charity.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1027878/Bill-Gates-pledges-58-billion-fortune-charity--children.html

That would be insane!

"1"

jeremyj

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 12:32:54 PM »
You clowns are forgetting one thing ERIC WEIDER. ;)

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 12:37:14 PM »
I know, what the fuck was he thinking?!?

It would be like Bill Gates donating over $28 billion of his own money to charity in order to help out countless of countries in need of aid and then further deciding to take part in the "Giving Pledge" thereby stating to donate half of his entire wealth to charity.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1027878/Bill-Gates-pledges-58-billion-fortune-charity--children.html

That would be insane!

"1"

No, I know.

Warren Buffett, who is btw much more respectable than Gates, is doing the same job.
That's OK if you want to do that .

Neither of them is however giving that money to those who made their billions.

The thing is in capitalism one owns the capital and is able to make money out of it. Someone else doesn't own capital so he has to work for the one with capital to make a living.
That's how it works in every industry.

Except in North Korea, go there if you want that everybody is equal, everyone has full welfare benefits, pension, sun is shining... Go and see how it works!

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 01:00:16 PM »
Bodybuilders are not beauty pageant contestants, they are athletes who participate in the sport of bodybuilding.  

I am sick and tired of jerks like the above poster ridiculing professional bodybuilders and calling them beauty pageant contestants.  For once and for all, I will provide a QnA below to end this senseless debate regarding whether or not they are athletes or beauty pageant contestants.

Some of you might ask, if indeed athletes, who do they compete against?  
EACH OTHER. * like in a pageant

Is the training to participate in said competitions rigorous and demanding?
SO DEMANDING THAT IN SOME INSTANCES (MR. OLYMPIA) IT CAN TAKE AN ATHLETE UP TO A YEAR TO GET READY FOR IT.  SOME PARTICIPANTS LIKE MILOS SARCEV HAVE EVEN BEEN HOSPITALIZED FOR IMPROPER TRAINING THAT ALMOST LED TO HIS DEATH.

Are there judges and/or score keepers?  
ABSOLUTELY, EVERY EVENT HAS A DISTINGUISHED PANEL OF JUDGES, NOT TO MENTION, A LARGE AUDIENCE OF MALE JUDGES. * like in a pageant

Do these so-called athletes experience injuries in their sport?
ALL THE TIME, NOT TOO LONG AGO, A GUY BY THE NAME OF FUX GOT SQUASHED UNDER 1,200 OF WEIGHT.  PAUL DILLETE HAS HAD SEVERE REACTIONS TO TRAINING, HE EVEN ONCE FROZE ON STAGE. *Fux got hurt during a photo shoot.

Do these athletes get national media coverage?
YES, BY WAY OF MAGAZINES, THESE ATHLETES GET EXPOSURE THAT REACHES EVERY SINGLE STATE, NOT TO MENTION THE MILLIONS OF FANS WORLDWIDE.  NOT TOO LONG AGO, A GENTLEMEN BY THE NAME OF CRAIG TITUS BECAME A NATIONAL SPOKESPERSON BY TRAINING A FORMER ROCKBAND ARTIST.  THIS TRAINING WAS AIRED ON MTV.  A FEW YEARS LATER, TITUS EVEN GOT NATIONAL MEDIA COVERAGE FOR HIS OWN PERSONAL ACHIEVEMENTS.  HE WAS EVEN PROVIDED WITH A PANEL OF 12 JUDGES THAT WERE, COMMON DAY FOLKS, THERE TO HELP IN HIS CRITIQUE. *Pageant winners get WAY more media coverage than bodybuilders

Feel free to add a rebuttal if you dare,
"1"

meltdown.

Bodybuilding contest = pageant.
It's Hip to be Square!

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
meltdown.
Bodybuilding contest = pageant.

SARCASM

"1"

jeremyj

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 01:46:28 PM »
ANOTHER THING YOU GUYS ARE FORGETTING ifbb IS A non profit Org.So there is NO MONEY. ;)

BIG_STI

• Getbig IV
  • www.illpumpyouup.com/
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 02:07:24 PM »
lol athletes and sport, lot of morons in this thread

jeremyj

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 04:46:50 PM »
You do all know they make that much money from competing that most NEVER have to work again. ;)

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 05:13:47 PM »
where's bobby on this one

blue cross blue shield?

bob got his AARP card yet?

its the pension you get from joining the bb'ers union thats the real pay off :o

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 06:13:26 PM »
You do all know they make that much money from competing that most NEVER have to work again. ;)

This.

"1"

jeremyj

• Time Out
  • Getbig II

chris10000

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 07:28:13 PM »
where's bobby on this one

he is busy

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 09:34:07 PM »

Do these professional athletes receive any sort of health insurance, retirement benefits, pensions or anything along those lines? What do these IFBB pros get in return for putting their lives on the line for the sake of the federation and for their loving fans? I know SAG offers it's actors, producers and directors health insurance options as well as pension opportunities, what of the IFBB?

The problem with IFBB Pros is that you need to care about others in order for something to work.  IFBB yearly dues covers a few things, including basic costs to run the organization (secretary, misc expenses). Given that there are not a lot of IFBB pros, 500 or so, the amount going into it is minimal.  Office, secretary, various expenses, insurance, and there isn't a lot there. I think they yearly dues is $200. And you are talking about pension and benefits?  They are not employed by the IFBB. They are joining an organization in order to compete in it.

Now, for health insurance, when Bob Chick did organize it, and he seriously tried, he DID bring a group plan to various bodybuilders that would of let them have basic insurance.  But honestly, not a lot of them cared. In fact, very few did.  IFBB Pros is a small group (500, etc).   Comparing it to SAG, which has tens of thousands of members isnt fair.

A lot can be done, but you need people to actually care about others.  Given the fact that many pro bodybuilders get contracts for themselves via supplement companies, magazine sponsorships, and more, it isn't easy.

BUT, 70% of SAG members barely make any money at all, very minimal.  It is the same for all.

Like it or not, Bob has made some changes in for the athletes.  Whether or not many bodybuilders cared was a different story.

What did you want changed?

jeremyj

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 10:09:19 PM »
All very good points Ron none of these guys even bother to turn up to vote on their Rep why should anyone care if they DON'T. ;)