Author Topic: Jack Palance RIP  (Read 1149 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Jack Palance RIP
« on: November 10, 2006, 02:30:12 PM »
Oscar-winning actor Jack Palance dies
From Associated Press

2:26 PM PST, November 10, 2006

Jack Palance, the craggy-faced menace in "Shane," "Sudden Fear" and other films who turned to comedy at 70 with his Oscar-winning self-parody in "City Slickers," died today.

Palance died of natural causes at his home in Montecito, Calif., surrounded by family, said spokesman Dick Guttman. Palance was 85 according to Associated Press records, but his family gave his age as 87.

When Palance accepted his Oscar for best supporting actor he delighted viewers of the 1992 Academy Awards by dropping to the stage and performing one-armed push-ups to demonstrate his physical prowess.

"That's nothing, really," he said slyly. "As far as two-handed push-ups, you can do that all night, and it doesn't make a difference whether she's there or not."

That year's Oscar host, Billy Crystal, turned the moment into a running joke, making increasingly outlandish remarks about Palance's accomplishments throughout the night's awards presentations.

It was a magic moment that epitomized the actor's 40 years in films. Always the iconoclast, Palance had scorned most of his film roles.

"Most of the stuff I do is garbage," he once told a reporter, adding that most of the directors he worked with were incompetent.

Movie audiences, however, were electrified by the actor's chiseled face and hulking presence, and a calm, low voice that made him all the more chilling.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Jack Palance RIP
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 02:33:21 PM »
You guys are probably too young to appreciate Jack but in his day he was a STAR!  My first Palance movie was Sudden Fear where he played opposite Joan Crawford.

Some of you will remember, he played the mob boss (The Joker worked for him) in the first Batman movie with Michael Keaton.

Rest well Jack and thanks for the memories... "And don't forget... your lucky deck"  :'(

http://imdb.com/name/nm0001588/

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 02:49:46 PM »
Dag!  That's sad.   :-\

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 04:01:50 PM »
Commanding presence on screen and at the Oscars. At the time it seemed a little nutty doing the one-arm pushups on stage in '92, but it was one of the most memorable images. ;D 85's a good long life.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 04:18:37 PM »
He was great in Shane. Liked him on Believe it or not in the early 80's.
The House that Ruth built

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 08:33:05 PM »
I got a call from my ex today to tell me this.  He was a client of hers.  She had just seen him last month she said.  To bad he was a good guy.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 06:22:36 AM »
Jack Palance, the Best Of the Bad Guys
Even His Color Films Were Black and White
By Desson Thomson, Washington Post Staff Writer

Jack Palance made ugly beautiful -- all 6 feet 4 of him.

You may remember him as Curly, the ornery cowboy from the "City Slickers" movies, or maybe the obnoxious, wizened 73-year-old who -- after winning the Best Supporting Actor Oscar in 1992 for his first time playing that role -- looked down on host Billy Crystal and made a joke we love and respect but can't repeat here. After which, he performed a series of one-hand push-ups while Crystal looked on in mock amazement. It was a wonderfully squirmy moment, in which the message was clear, as he bobbed up and down: I'm a man. You can measure me like this. And this. And this.

Was he serious or twitting himself? We'd like to think he was enjoying the doubt -- that embarrassing silence when hushed onlookers aren't sure whether someone's read their postmodern handbook or not.

Regardless, he was cool in his own way. You imagined his brawniness was earned from old-fashioned lugging, hefting and swinging of heavy stuff like rocks, bricks and metal pipes, not on Nautilus equipment with wall-to-wall mirrors and some trainer named Serge looking on. And you didn't think about inconvenient facts, like his real name: He was born in Lattimer Mines, Pa., in the bone-chilling middle of February 1919, and got slapped with Vladimir Palahniuk, which was no name for a cowboy.

Some of you will remember him as Jack Wilson, the relentless bully in 1953's "Shane" who drew guns on Alan Ladd -- that reluctant White Hat -- and took two in the gut. It was always Palance's role to be the dead guy in the final reel. He was the hero's best friend, in a way. After you shot Palance dead, there wasn't much left to do except walk into the sunset. You had gunned down Palance; you were the man.

But That Man is gone, now, for good. He died at 87 of natural causes, not gunshot wounds -- at his Montecito, Calif., home yesterday. Gone, too, are the days -- oh, indulge us, will ya? -- when good meant good and bad meant bad. When westerns were normal entertainments in the movies and on TV -- not metaphorical hi-tech adventures in outer space, or sensitive retro-westerns in which various Eastwoods and Costners showed their tender sides. To women. Jaysus.

His film debut came in 1950, playing a murderer named Blackie in "Panic in the Streets." He scared the life out of Joan Crawford in 1952's "Sudden Fear," for which he earned his first Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor. And he got another nod, but no prize, for his Jack Wilson.

It was beginning of the Palance Role, as Hollywood's go-to bad guy -- and not just as a cowboy. He was an Apache in "Arrowhead," Jack the Ripper in "Man in the Attic," Attila the Hun in "Sign of the Pagan" and he even played Jesus Christ in "The Silver Chalice." But whomever he played, he was always Palance. And he made a whole career of that face -- that nose that looked like it had been battered into a fleshy pretzel with a spade -- and that voice, which sounded like he sprinkled gravel and, possibly, boot nails into his pork and beans for breakfast. His swaggery walk could out-swagger John Wayne. Yes, we said John Wayne. Wanna draw about it, pal?

He seemed mercifully free of airs. "Most of what I do is garbage," he told a reporter once. And as for the directors he worked for, "most of them shouldn't even be directing traffic." Real men, you see, don't talk pretty or eloquent. They just say it like it is.

So we hope you know what we mean when we say, admiringly and with a tip of the black hat, that Palance was one of the last real men. Just remember the way he said, "Prove it!" before he died at the hands of Shane. The pug-ugly majesty. The way he went down like a rock. You never cried for him, going down. Which is why, we guess, we shouldn't cry for Jack, even with the knowledge that, after the credits roll, he isn't going to get up, dust off his hat, ready for another take. He's done and down. And he ain't getting up.

Sljck-NjnjaRjder

• Getbig IV
  • Nobody is jealous of a loser!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 07:41:05 PM »
I got a call from my ex today to tell me this.  He was a client of hers.  She had just seen him last month she said.  To bad he was a good guy.

What does your ex do that he was her client?  Just curious.
Sleep Big.