Author Topic: Should I try to compete again ( summer 2013) or say F it ?  (Read 5182 times)

Figo

• Getbig V
Re: Should I try to compete again ( summer 2013) or say F it ?
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2013, 09:29:53 AM »
I was thinking he looked a great deal like Steve Michalik.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2013, 09:37:19 AM »
By all means, compete! Just remember to stay natural and drug free like Doug Miller. We would hate to see you jeopardize your health.

Is "natural" the new term for gh, low androgenic orals, and quick acting esters ?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2013, 09:43:39 AM »
you been talking about a comeback since 2004, howard.

Will 2013 be another year of talk?  Or will you finally get it moving this year?

Window is closing.  Will you be another guy who does nothing but talk about what could have been?  Or will you embrace that shit, come back, and have some photos to look at when you're 70... smiling with pride at how a guy in his 50s got into the best shape of his life and got back onstage?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2013, 10:08:06 AM »
E-KUL - Thanks for your response on the previous page. It brought back a lot of long lost memories as I worked with or knew every bodybuilder you mentioned and have some interesting stories about each of them which may not be of interest to the 'negative researchers'  in this GETBIG group.

But if there is any interest, I will elaborate.

Once again my recollection of the 'enhancements' is a bit different than your own and just about everyone concerned honestly felt that the use of roids merely offered a 10% advantage. (What ever that meant as no one was ever able to compute what that advantage amounted to.)

Back then I have to assume that no one other than a handful of competitors took as much as the 'usual suspects' take now-a-days, so that 10% figure was possibly an actual reality.

But that '10%' was beheld as Gospel by the majority of all involved back then.

And if I recall correctly back in them good old days ..... there really was no 'secret' regarding the use of 'enhancements' unless you found yourself discussing that subject with your fellow competitors or in a crowded room full of people who had no idea of bodybuilding nor what it involved.

One never told the details for fear of losing to the fellow competitor who was interested in those details!, but myself and many others had many an opportunity to discuss it frankly and openly and honestly with some of the top pros back then ...... but that subject wasn't as interesting as it seems to be today.

So. E-KUL.... thanks for jump starting my memory bank and now you have encouraged me to get off my butt and start sending Happy New Year emails to those you mentioned earlier plus many more I've recently forgotten.

usmcdevildoc

• Getbig III
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2013, 11:04:23 AM »
Androgel ain't shit. Time for a real cycle
of gear!!!  U'll have a woody every morning.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2013, 06:34:44 PM »
SCOTT, I worked with Robby a couple of times back then but I never was privy to his 'supplement intake' nor periods of continuous use, so I can't  add anything to what you stated above, but .....

To the best of my recollection only a couple of competitors used massive dosages for long time periods back then but the ones I knew were getting periodic physicals to insure that their health wasn't deteriorating.

And I honestly don't recall any adverse health issues occuring back then, but it is possible that those adverse health problems happened much later on in their lives as a result of the doses they took many years earlier.

But the vast majority of the 'stuff' that was used back then was minor compared to what is being taken today.

Sorry .... Basic stuff here but.....  nothing was 'basic' back then because everything pertaining to drugs and muscle growth was purely experimental. Most bodybuilders were walking, talking , experimental, chemistry labs.

ANd you gotta remember that roids were not illegal then and the AMA claimed that they were useless as an enhancement.

But those who used them knew better and decided that  if something produced great results, it simply meant to do more of the same. And in some cases much more of the same  .... regardless of the consequences that could be possible later.

Back in those early, pre-roid days most thought that bodybuilding pros would look somewhat similar to how the physique competitors appear today.

Massive size was more of a Powerlifters/Olympic lifter's  build.

But all that changed over time and led us to where we find competittive bodybuilding today.

And what the future holds is anyone's guess.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2013, 06:09:39 AM »

I thought you didn't  have kids .
I don't have kids  ( never did) but know plenty of folks that had a lot of stress and problems by having 'em.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2013, 06:16:01 AM »
you been talking about a comeback since 2004, howard.

Will 2013 be another year of talk?  Or will you finally get it moving this year?

Window is closing.  Will you be another guy who does nothing but talk about what could have been?  Or will you embrace that shit, come back, and have some photos to look at when you're 70... smiling with pride at how a guy in his 50s got into the best shape of his life and got back onstage?

Valid points and thanks for the encouragement to get my ass in gear.
1. I competed in aprox 40 shows from 1978 -1995 . In summary, I did ok , BUT never won a major contest, so
what "COULD have been" = "NEVER was " :D

2. This go round is for me and I plan to use the contest date and atmosphere to get me in good shape.
The contest puts a firm , objective time line on my goal to "get abs" again. That's pretty much it.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2013, 08:12:42 AM »
Howard we have been down this road before so here is me being Frank;;

For Fuck Sakes Howard grow some fucken balls and get those damn thongs on, lol.

OK in all seriousness bro, to decide to jump on stage will assure one more all out shredded version of yourself, regardless the outcome you will look the best you have in a long time. All the old memories will come back and you will have a blast during the 12-16 week phase (or however long). I don`t care what anyone says getting in the best shape and looking like someone on stage is nearly impossible without a motivational incentive.

You have nothing to lose, in the worse case scenario you still come out with a sick physique,  good times and yet some more memories, beside judging by the last few years this is a chip you are trying to get off your shoulder. Getbig supports you Howard so start looking for the show you want to pick., 8)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2013, 08:16:50 AM »
What do a think? This was me at my best in 1988. I have not competed since 1994.
I'm 54 and chunky ( perma bulker) , should I try again or just accept my fate as a middle aged "has been" that never was??????.

No...my delusions of grandeur ended five years ago and I'm 50. It isn't worth the trouble. I'd rather lift heavy shit.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2013, 08:19:32 AM »
Lmao, just read your time on your marathon and it was very similar to my time something like 4hours`10mn or something, lol,  had some 68 year old lady pass me at the 4 hour mark and was like ``oh no yòu didn`t`` but we got a good laugh out of it, lol,.  at that point you don`t care about time you just want to finish

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2013, 08:33:05 AM »
No...my delusions of grandeur ended five years ago and I'm 50. It isn't worth the trouble. I'd rather lift heavy shit.
U DID WELL...I SEE UR POINT,,,BUT HOWIE AMPS UP THESES THREADS EVERY YEAR AND STAYS THE SAME AT LEAST GET LEAN ,,POST PICS AND THEN TAKE IT TO CONTEST PHASE IF DESIRED,,

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2013, 08:43:29 AM »
U DID WELL...I SEE UR POINT,,,BUT HOWIE AMPS UP THESES THREADS EVERY YEAR AND STAYS THE SAME AT LEAST GET LEAN ,,POST PICS AND THEN TAKE IT TO CONTEST PHASE IF DESIRED,,

I will admit, the thought does cross my mind but then reality sets in and slap myself and ask "what the hell am I thinking". I think Howie does the same thing. You LIKE the idea of getting in shape to compete, but realize how fucking hard it is and if it's even worth it. My wife and I were discussing this yesterday about fitness. Most people LOVE the idea of training and getting into shape (lose weight, etc) but when they start, they realize just how hard it can be.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2013, 08:47:25 AM »
I think you both should compete and compete in the same show against each other and let the wagers begin.  :D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2013, 08:51:37 AM »
I think you both should compete and compete in the same show against each other and let the wagers begin.  :D
THIS I LIKE,,,,,,

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2013, 09:41:43 AM »

I would win ;D

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2013, 10:22:12 AM »

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2013, 10:30:39 AM »

Don't worry, it won't happen. If it did, I'm sure Howard would keep his word unlike fatalice.

DeltsaForce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2013, 10:34:42 AM »
Don't worry, it won't happen. If it did, I'm sure Howard would keep his word unlike fatalice.

You're a fine one to talk about keeping his word Mr 'Til death do us part'. You break your word in front of God a thousand times.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2013, 11:54:31 AM »
Go for it Howard, for all of us 50 something that are too lazy and unmotivated!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2013, 11:58:25 AM »
You're a fine one to talk about keeping his word Mr 'Til death do us part'. You break your word in front of God a thousand times.

Yes, till death do us part, unless one is a lesbian, the other cheated and the other was "till death do us part"...on which the "death" part was me.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2013, 12:16:56 PM »
Yes, till death do us part, unless one is a lesbian, the other cheated and the other was "till death do us part"...on which the "death" part was me.

I like how you summarise things, neatly and consicely.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2013, 12:17:37 PM »
Kids should not have kids

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2013, 01:10:39 PM »
Howard dont feel bad. ive been talking about competing again since 2009 and with me turning 40 in September its either now or never.

See ya in Pittsburg

DeltsaForce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2013, 01:20:28 PM »

It doesn't say "unless". You should know it off by heart by now; you get married every month.