Author Topic: Open letter to HIT believers, hardgainers, etc. Seminar.  (Read 65956 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Open letter to HIT believers, hardgainers, etc. Seminar.
« on: October 16, 2006, 07:35:57 PM »
Arthur Jones arrived on the bodybuilding scene in 1969 and stuffed up hypertrophy training for decades. Even to this day we have the phenomenon of countless pseudo-intellectuals seeking out the right method from the on line sites such as HST and HIT. Well, I have news for you. All those groups are variations of what Arthur Jones preached 35 years ago. Arthur is the smartest guy who ever posted in bodybuilding magazines. He had us reading his ads for goodness sake! Those ads were state of the art theory about bodybuilding. His logic was so sensible it led to most of us doubting our protocols and I think just about everyone sought to do less instead of more to make gains. He demonstrated his ideas by training Sergio Oliva in 1972 and helped Sergio be at his largest ever. That Arnold won the Olympia in Essen is the stuff of controversy. Even Arnold admits Sergio was superior.

The point is does high intensity training and other brief training methods lead to maximum hypertrophy? Nope. It isn't going to happen. It is a big lie. Today we have nonsense about positions of flexion. All nonsense. I read the magazines and cannot see anything worthwhile written there for a long time. The last guy with something new to say other than myself was a Dennis guy who back in the 70s suggested a waste products theory of hypertrophy and used Larry Scott and Sergio Oliva as examples. Somehow he was forgotten and editors like Holman and publishers like Robert Kennedy became the theory guys. Yeah, sure.

There are some truths in bodybuilding. One is progressive resistance. That is the cornerstone of hypertrophy and permeates all theories and programs. The extension of progressive resistance is that in order to get large muscles you have to hoist heavy weights. Not rocket science at all. How come so few guys ever get really big muscles? If the formula is simple where are all the huge guys? You are lucky if you find one or two in each gym. Various hardcore gyms have heaps more big guys. That hasn't changed in over 30 years. Guys get to be a certain size and stop. Just about everyone is on a plateau. So what is the formula for success? Is there a simple formula to follow?

The sad truth is that various drugs and substances have ruined the whole bodybuilding scene. The very biggest guys are probably all using drugs. Please post anyone who is huge but not using? What has happened is that bodybuilding theory is now almost irrelevant because drugs will make up for what is lacking in theory. The big guys hang out together so they all gravitate towards doing similar things. Same drugs, same kind of training, more or less.

Well, there is a simple formula but unfortunately just about everyone who has developed any visible muscle feels he is an expert and knows how to get huge. In principle most of these people are wrong. They do not know how to get huge. Well, not naturally that is.

I could post my ideas here but this in not the proper place to post sensible things. Besides, all manner of flotsom and jetsom will emerge claiming to know more than all the Ironagers. The the real Ironagers trained before 1955. After that it is all suspect.

What is obviously true is that way too many bodybuilders have closed minds. They literally can never know the truth. Beliefs persist like a religion and it is uncanny how so many believe so much rubbish. This is unlikely to change from what I can see. Zillions of guys will blast away in the gym and remain on lifelong plateaus! It really is a crazy activity.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: Open letter to high intensity believers, hardgainers, etc.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 07:42:16 PM »
I agree with many of your Points Vince. BTW, is Aurther Jones still alive?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 07:50:00 PM »
give a guy enough food and gh and he could ride a tricycle all day and still win a local NPC show.

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 07:50:18 PM »
The simple reason you don't see tons of huge guys in every gym across the country is easy...Most people just go thru the motions...Most of the guys i know in the gym are doing the same workouts they have been doing for 20 years...Sure they have tried diff/approaches but they always fall back to their old workout..Why, because it easy and their body knows it.  Their eating is close to the same and their sleep/rest is the same..Except now they have more stress in their lives in forms of employment and family responsibilities...

The very few that push thru and make gains are simply guy who take it way more seriously...IMOP

AVBG

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 07:56:49 PM »
Arthur Jones arrived on the bodybuilding scene in 1969 and stuffed up hypertrophy training for decades. Even to this day we have the phenomenon of countless pseudo-intellectuals seeking out the right method from the on line sites such as HST and HIT. Well, I have news for you. All those groups are variations of what Arthur Jones preached 35 years ago. Arthur is the smartest guy who ever posted in bodybuilding magazines. He had us reading his ads for goodness sake! Those ads were state of the art theory about bodybuilding. His logic was so sensible it led to most of us doubting our protocols and I think just about everyone sought to do less instead of more to make gains. He demonstrated his ideas by training Sergio Oliva in 1972 and helped Sergio be at his largest ever. That Arnold won the Olympia in Essen is the stuff of controversy. Even Arnold admits Sergio was superior.

The point is does high intensity training and other brief training methods lead to maximum hypertrophy? Nope. It isn't going to happen. It is a big lie. Today we have nonsense about positions of flexion. All nonsense. I read the magazines and cannot see anything worthwhile written there for a long time. The last guy with something new to say other than myself was a Dennis guy who back in the 70s suggested a waste products theory of hypertrophy and used Larry Scott and Sergio Oliva as examples. Somehow he was forgotten and editors like Holman and publishers like Robert Kennedy became the theory guys. Yeah, sure.

There are some truths in bodybuilding. One is progressive resistance. That is the cornerstone of hypertrophy and permeates all theories and programs. The extension of progressive resistance is that in order to get large muscles you have to hoist heavy weights. Not rocket science at all. How come so few guys ever get really big muscles? If the formula is simple where are all the huge guys? You are lucky if you find one or two in each gym. Various hardcore gyms have heaps more big guys. That hasn't changed in over 30 years. Guys get to be a certain size and stop. Just about everyone is on a plateau. So what is the formula for success? Is there a simple formula to follow?

The sad truth is that various drugs and substances have ruined the whole bodybuilding scene. The very biggest guys are probably all using drugs. Please post anyone who is huge but not using? What has happened is that bodybuilding theory is now almost irrelevant because drugs will make up for what is lacking in theory. The big guys hang out together so they all gravitate towards doing similar things. Same drugs, same kind of training, more or less.

Well, there is a simple formula but unfortunately just about everyone who has developed any visible muscle feels he is an expert and knows how to get huge. In principle most of these people are wrong. They do not know how to get huge. Well, not naturally that is.

I could post my ideas here but this in not the proper place to post sensible things. Besides, all manner of flotsom and jetsom will emerge claiming to know more than all the Ironagers. The the real Ironagers trained before 1955. After that it is all suspect.

What is obviously true is that way too many bodybuilders have closed minds. They literally can never know the truth. Beliefs persist like a religion and it is uncanny how so many believe so much rubbish. This is unlikely to change from what I can see. Zillions of guys will blast away in the gym and remain on lifelong plateaus! It really is a crazy activity.

Well, there you go.. I look forward to seeing you this weekend at the Aust Nationals!

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 08:03:02 PM »
give a guy enough food and gh and he could ride a tricycle all day and still win a local NPC show.

That's an absolute fallacy.       

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 08:04:54 PM »
Wombat : You hit the nail right on the head !

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 08:08:45 PM »
That's an absolute fallacy.       

matt C showed us some studies that a group on gear will add more muscle mass by sleeping than a group of natties training their asses off.  Was he wrong?

perhaps i was exaggerating a tad about the tricycle.  it might be a 2-wheeler.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 08:13:10 PM »
Yawn.....
A

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 08:14:14 PM »
matt C showed us some studies that a group on gear will add more muscle mass by sleeping than a group of natties training their asses off.  Was he wrong?

Oh, Matt C told you that? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 08:16:01 PM »
Oh, Matt C told you that? 

Yep.  Dude mainlines gray matter. Wise beyond his nationality.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 08:16:29 PM »

i dont agree with what you said about aas ruining bodybuilding.

but great post on HIT and arthur jones...he was a genius and very much ahead of his time...all the different variations of HIT over the years are based on his theories...people today should try to fully understand HIT and embrace it as the greatest method of bodybuilding training.

its a shame that there are still guys talking about this light weight, high volume nonsense...they spend hours in the gym doing endless sets and reps...then they try to equate time and endurance in the gym with intensity...lol

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 08:19:22 PM »

240 your a smart guy...you really dont believe that do you?

if i recall correctly matt c is one of these delusional "all drugs" guys....and i belive he once made the comment that the only difference between himself and jay cutler was the drugs....lol

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 08:23:00 PM »
 ;D Why would I take ANY of this old man's advices???

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 08:24:01 PM »
nah, i do believe that genetics and calories matter a lot too.  Genetics mostly.  Perhaps an amendment - a guy with good genetics on gear would destroy a natty who trains well.

Ronnie coleman working in an accounting office, taking the same stack he does now, would destroy Joe Lunchbox who trained his ass off, in a BBing show.  Matt C's was an extreme, and I just used it because I'm ina groovy mood tonight and I amused myself with the tricycle line.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 08:39:27 PM »

Vince, using the TA sales method ("I have the answer and I'm not going to tell you yet") is beneath you.  If you have something you'd like to share, then spit it out.  You'll get some haters and you'll get some rational guys, just like always.

How are we going to have a discussion if you won't tell us the topic?

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 08:45:16 PM »
I agree with the point of people sticking to the routines they know, but the average Joe Schmo who works out isn't going to compete in strength/physique competition. They sign up to "get fit." Whatever that means to them is their business, so whose to say they want to be at 6% BF and huge? I'm pretty sure most wouldn't. Maybe they seem to be getting nowhere to people who strive for that ripped/huge muscle look, but without knowing what their goals are, it's hard to say they're not improving at whatever they're doing just because their body seems to look the same.

Mr. Michael Moore

• Getbig IV
  • A pretty good weight, for a small woman !
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 09:55:14 PM »
As usual, McFarland is right !!!!!!!!!!

Only a guy who ACTUALLY competed (not a shitty pics-posted contest ;) ) like McJeff knows what it takes to be competitive onstage.

It's not hard AT ALL to find guys shooting up the GH/slin/test combo, yet how many of them make it (respectably) to the stage???? Not many, judging by proportions......

You can cause a riot inside the SIZEN Labs. facilities, and take all of their GH into the siringes, and yet, if you don't put the due suffering in the weight room, it WON'T HAPPEN, just like that.

Everybody likes to rip Dorian's Sandows accomplishments, but how many of their coleagues from that time actually were known to put the same kind and amount of hard work in the gym???? No one.....hence, Dorian reigned absolute. That's what Shawn could never grasp......and I'm not saying his training wasn't hard, by the contrary, Ray trained very, very hard, on a different aproach compared to Dorian's, but Yates' level of intensity was on another level.

Everyone who thinks that all it takes to make it big in bodybuilding is injecting to a heart's content all the drug combos in the world without putting up the grueling hours in the gym should get his head checked twice........ :-\
Train forever !

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 12:44:54 AM »
As he did three years ago on this forum Vince states a good case and then follows up with nothing. Tells us what's wrong with every method out there eludes to the "fact" that he has the "secret" formula and just as he did back then when Milos and I called him on it, he says "well this is not the place to post this information.

DOMS the breaks.
and keep moving!

whitewidow

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 12:48:52 AM »
goodbum-2007 baby!!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 01:06:35 AM »
As he did three years ago on this forum Vince states a good case and then follows up with nothing. Tells us what's wrong with every method out there eludes to the "fact" that he has the "secret" formula and just as he did back then when Milos and I called him on it, he says "well this is not the place to post this information.

DOMS the breaks.

Very well put.

Vince Basile, how about give an example of what a month of training would look like?

Training for the whole body, that is.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 01:11:19 AM »
I'd like to see a months schedule too, were there any specific nutrition guidelines?
It hasn't helped...

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 04:18:11 AM »
Curiosity with scepticism is healthy. Did you notice one of the guys who most needs help 'yawns' in this thread. How typical of knuckleheads to dismiss what others say and cling to notions that result in hardly any improvement at all. That is the problem. Too many think they know what they are doing. The results say otherwise.

There are two ways we could approach the problem of diminishing returns from training. Over a certain size the number of years spent in the gym mean nothing at all. No further growth occurs and bodybuilders subscribe to the belief that steroids and other drugs are the only way they will get any bigger. In addition, they attribute the success of some to genetics when in truth no one has a clue about who has potential, and how much size is possible. If Larry Scott was a young fellow today could he be Mr Olympia? I wonder. The odds are that he could not. However, it might be possible. He put an awful lot of muscle on a rather small frame. Larry was and is the master of bodybuilding technology. Because he had a small frame he had to discover the most effective methods to build his body. The question is whether he found the optimum system or just part of it.

Okay, we have some factors in hypertrophy that must be there. Resistance leading to mechanical tension on a target muscle and some sort of duration and frequency. Exactly how much is required, how long and how often has never been determined. It is believed that each person might be unique and therefore has to find his optimum protocols, etc. If it is true that each person is an individual and needs special routines and protocols then we might as well abandon any help from science. When you cannot predict results you cannot know the process and hence hypertrophy would not be knowable by science. Or if knowable would be too complex to be of use to individuals.

Why do so many toil for years and years and stay more or less the same? That is something that has never been studied and therefore all we can do is conjecture. Sure, diet and the repeated bout effect can undermine the progress of most of us. Are there strategies that can overcome the repeated bout effect? We can eliminate diet by assuming one should keep abreast of the latest proven research and maintain an optimum diet for growth.

What amuses me is to talk to people about training and then see the people doing the same thing over and over while looking the same. Surely that is lunacy. Let me describe a situation with an actual bodybuilder. This bloke is trying to build his calves up. We have had a few discussions about strategies and methods. His calves do not look any bigger than before and this has been going on for several years now. He is not stupid and considers what I say. Today I had another chat with him. He had the seated calf machine loaded up with about 180 Kg or 400 pounds. The heavy frame adds another 100 pounds at least. Here he was doing sets with 500 pounds of resistance. To be able to move that amount of weight and do several sets he was resting several minutes between sets. Maybe 5 minutes. I told him that isn't going to make his calves much bigger? Why? Well, it seems to me he is doing strength training and there is little reason for his calves to get any bigger. So the calves do the right thing and stay the same size. We talked about eating and I told him he can't expect more size if he is not gaining weight. I suggested he wear a heavy vest around and walk up lots of hills every day for a few months and see what happens.

The point is simple. If you are training hard and not growing rapidly you are doing something wrong or failing to do something and are probably not eating enough, either. So, if you return to the gym and keep doing the same thing that is lunacy. Oh, I am sure trainees justify what they are doing in the belief that gains come slowly and therefore are imperceptible. It takes years, or so everyone says.  My point is if you are not growing from each workout then do something different. That is a requirement. Sure adding weight might help but you cannot keep adding weight indefinitely. If you are adding weight and not growing then that is pointless. You might not be putting enough mechanical tension on your muscle. You might have to try a different exercise or different protocols or both. Somehow you have to figure out how to grow rapidly. When you can do that for one muscle it is easy to apply those principles to other muscles.

Oh, for what it is worth, HIT and HST do not work beyond a certain point. Something is wrong with the theory behind those methods. It isn't intensity that causes hypertrophy although sometimes it can stimulate some growth. Nope, that isn't a sufficient factor. HST tries to distill a method from science. If only the scientists were trying to cause as much growth as possible. Well, they have had some success with fowl and cats and perhaps some rats. Humans have been competely ignored as far as trying to cause substantial growth in their muscles. It is a pipedream that HST is going to be the optimum method and that is what we find. The forums of these believers are repetitive and hardly anyone is still growing. The methods seem to work on some people for a while then growth stops. Thus, these believers wonder what to do next and start changing things in the prescriptions. I guess that is trial and error and you wonder how a supposedly scientific method still needs it. The truth is those methods are not themselves scientific. There has been little or no research to support those beliefs and methods. It really reduces to charlatanry.

I have no obligation to describe specific methods and prescriptions. Suffice is to point out the folly of what so many believe. This is, afterall, a discussion board of opinions regarding bodybuilding, etc.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 04:30:39 AM »
Curiosity with scepticism is healthy. Did you notice one of the guys who most needs help 'yawns' in this thread. How typical of knuckleheads to dismiss what others say and cling to notions that result in hardly any improvement at all. That is the problem. Too many think they know what they are doing. The results say otherwise.

I have no obligation to describe specific methods and prescriptions. Suffice is to point out the folly of what so many believe. This is, afterall, a discussion board of opinions regarding bodybuilding, etc.

I will not dismiss your theories.

And no, you have no obligation whatsoever to describe specific methods, or give examples on what you believe is the least faulty (ie, most correct) way to train.

It would, however, be very nice to get a look at a typical training layout, if you were to design it for a natural athlete.

I believe it would also help people understand what you mean with your DOMS training.

How about it? Spill the beans mate.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 04:52:58 AM »
I agree with many of your Points Vince. BTW, is Aurther Jones still alive?

Yes, Arthur Jones is still alive.

I addition to Nautilus he owns the Bowflex, Stairmaster and MedX (evaluation and rehabilitation equipment ) lines. If memory serves me, he has some connection to Hammer Strength as well.

The Beef